Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Releasing on May 15th

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    No they are not. When blizzard announce a date they are definitely releasing on that date

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

A lot of you diehard Diablo fans are going to be disappointed with D3. Just keep that in mind when you grab your wallet, virtual or otherwise.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Inregardless of what other s said, im gona buy it and enjoy it even though ive read the changes.

Just hope they dont do a DLC for it...

RIP Orc Choppa

• RipclawRipclaw Member UncommonPosts: 190

Hooly crap. Finally, after waiting so long to see this it's so good that it's here.

Well, there goes a goes my summer. >_<

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by Zekiah

A lot of you diehard Diablo fans are going to be disappointed with D3. Just keep that in mind when you grab your wallet, virtual or otherwise.

i agree that D2 will probably outshine D3

but, hey, its a new game -- and D3 should be more entertaining than other diablo clone games

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Nadia

i agree that D2 will probably outshine D3

but, hey, its a new game -- and D3 should be more entertaining than other diablo clone games

Actually, I found PoE beta more enjoyable and more true to the Diablo roots than D3.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Agreed. Their game mechanics and the RMAH just are not what Diablo is about. They will be disappointed. Thank god for Starcraft 2 though!

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• QuagliaQuaglia Member Posts: 60

59,99 euros for digital copy? No, thanks Blizzard.

• Hobson82Hobson82 Member Posts: 5

PoE beta is indeed at the very least a *real* alternative to D3 as compared to the time-killer i thought it would be at first.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

Originally posted by Hobson82

PoE beta is indeed at the very least a *real* alternative to D3 as compared to the time-killer i thought it would be at first.

^ This, people who don't know PoE....It's really cool, and imo real loyal to the Diablo series....

I enjoy the Beta a lot..

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• TyvolusNextTyvolusNext Member Posts: 192

First Blizzard game for me was Warcraft II back in 1996 !!  I had a blast with D2 and was looking forward to D3 (and yes I knew it would be a few years).  Having said that two BIG reasons I wont be buying D3 no matter how much fun I had in D2.  First and foremost, this isnt the same Blizz of years ago, wow for me was not a very good MMO and SC2 was a HUGE waste of $$$.  Second, Blizz just took (even for them) way too long making this game, I lost interest years ago.  Finally, with all the drama and issues and cuts surrounding this, it was never even up for debate -- not buying, not interested.  They will still make boatloads of cash courtesy of the new generation of Blizzard fans who they have adeptly conditioned over the past few years to expect, accept and be satifised with far less.  I'm not one of those dudes.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Originally posted by TyvolusNext

First Blizzard game for me was Warcraft II back in 1996 !!  I had a blast with D2 and was looking forward to D3 (and yes I knew it would be a few years).  Having said that two BIG reasons I wont be buying D3 no matter how much fun I had in D2.  First and foremost, this isnt the same Blizz of years ago, wow for me was not a very good MMO and SC2 was a HUGE waste of $$$.  Second, Blizz just took (even for them) way too long making this game, I lost interest years ago.  Finally, with all the drama and issues and cuts surrounding this, it was never even up for debate -- not buying, not interested.  They will still make boatloads of cash courtesy of the new generation of Blizzard fans who they have adeptly conditioned over the past few years to expect, accept and be satifised with far less.  I'm not one of those dudes.

I'm with you 100%. I lost interest in this game about a year and a half back. I think the ideal time to announce a game prior to release is 6 months. That gives fans enough time to read up and salivate without completely burning out.

• idgaradidgarad Member Posts: 174

I played the beta.

All Classes to 13. Yes, even the Monk.

I will state this:

Diablo 3 is fun and entertaining and well worth the purchase price based on the Beta. People complaining about it not measuring up to Diablo 2 or 1 are simply suffering from the disease of nostalgia.

You are not 14 years old anymore. Nothing from your youth, revisited, will measure up since you are not 14 years old anymore when everything was new to you. Welcome to growing up, and why most of us read more as we get older. The actors all start to look the same, so do the sets, and the stories. A book allows up more flexability to imagine the setting more then what a director and cinematographer envisioned for us. The same is true in game design. It is why I stopped playing RTS games after Red Alert 2. I've played them all now. Simply adding new units or changing maps doesn't work. I've played everything and now it's refinement versus innovation. It's a curse as you get older. I stopped playing FPS games since Counter-Strike and Team Fortress were really the last innovations in game play in FPS. Same for platformers long before that.

You are getting older and you are allowing nostalgia, I swear a full fledged mental disorder, to bias your assessments. Diablo 3 is well executed, it just happens to be that most of us of the 30+ age group want to piss on it because it doesn't make us feel the way it did 10 years ago. Well no shit, we aren't 20 anymore. I simply say my nephew down who never saw, let alone played Diablo 1 or 2. He thinks is was the greatest game in history and that was only the beta. Why? Because for him, it is new.

When I was young.... yes. You have become the guy that had to walk to school uphill, both ways. Your nostalgia blinds you like "When I was young and video games were awesome we only got 3 lives and NO continues..." The absurd nonsense I see 20 somethings spouting out on sites like this is why I spend so little time on them. "It's not dark enough..." What people nailed to walls with spears and ripping bodies in half isn't dark enough? More likely when you were 14, it seemed a lot darker since that was about as dark as things got for games back then along with Doom. I loaded up D2 and compared, D3 even in the short amount of content in the beta is a hell of a lot bloodier and gorier. The difference in now as you are older, you are used to it more and since they didn't "raise the bar high enough" to make you, the adult, feel the same way you did when you were 14, it's "not dark enough". This is the trap of nostalgia.

You need to measure things in context people. The complainers are frustrated that the new <insert game here> doesn't measure up to the earlier <insert earlier version of game here> because they still are trapped wonderer why the new game doesn't make them feel like the old game did 10 years ago. You have gotten older and your context has changed. This is easy to see when you go back and watch a cartoon from your youth. Yes, they bring back memories but more often then not, they aren't as cool as they used to be are they? Cartoons suck now? Really, you mean like back in the 80s when He-man couldn't actually use his sword as a weapon and every Cobra soldier parachuted to safety?  Christ I remember when the Fred and Barney advertised cigarettes... It is a self-lie and forum trolls are trapped in it.

You are likely not single anymore and have a few kids, no game is going to stir the same sense of fun as it was sitting in your friend's basement in a 10 man lan party on a Thursday night burning to packs of Camel non-filters running on Mt. Dew and pure adrenalen as you raid Midgard relic keeps in a 200 man zerg in DAOC. That was then, this is now. GW2 will never be like that because those 200 people have jobs and families now and expecting developers to cater to that is absurd. The new 20 something single guys have different tastes then we did. Your childhood is over, it isn't your childhood they are raping, it's time to let go.

Diablo 3. Fun. Great Looking. Smooth. Wonderful sounds and music. Polished and obviously not Diablo 2 or 1. That isn't a bad thing. Comparing any game to a game you played 10 years ago, likely 1/2 your entire life span to date is a pointless futile excercise in self delusion through meaningless nostalgia. Set standards, that is fine, but then your going to have to strip away the nostalgia and hold them strickly to those standards. I hear lots of "this <new game> sucks compared to the old one" but rarely do I see an actual explaination why that stands up to any type of self consistency.

"I used to walk to school up hill both ways...."

"I used to have to walk back to my corpse to get my gear...."

"I used to only get 5 lives and no continues...."

As the wife calls it, "Used-ist Disease."

As far as hype goes, I haven't seen a single commercial, radio ad, banner ad, about Diablo 3. I think the only hype going on it haters and fanbois fighting over how awesomeaweful it will be. If you think D3 is being hyped... get some fresh air outside.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by Nadia

D3 should be more entertaining than other diablo clone games

Actually, I found PoE beta more enjoyable and more true to the Diablo roots than D3.

I havent played Path of Exile yet but will keep it in mind  :)

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

Originally posted by Hobson82

Watching RipperX play it didn't instill much interest in me.  The art direction is horrible to begin with.  It's like Titan Quest with worse artists.  PoE is only of itnerest to Blizzard haters.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Originally posted by idgarad

/snip

The nostalgia point you're making is a valid one, if people actually take the time to read it properly and ignore the slight ranting you go into.

I think Diablo 3 looks really good. I enjoyed diablo 1 the most. I never actually completed Diablo 2, but I did play it a lot and revisited it many times. But... regardless of the reasons, if something isn't as fun as someone wanted or expected then they have a valid reason to have a lower opinion of it, from a personal stand-point. I don't understand why people feel the need to vent those feelings on forums though, especially before they have even played it or at least the full version of it.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Capt.HerpCapt.Herp Member Posts: 3

• Capt.HerpCapt.Herp Member Posts: 3

All I have to say to idgarad's comment about nostalgic players is this:  It was EXCELLENT, and it should have been a column.  It's true -- when I think about Diablo I think differently than the players do who are in their twenties, probably because I am 59.  I played the original exhaustively, and was disappointed in the fact that with D2, if you died, you just restarted and had all your stuff back, except for a little gold and experience lost.  Yeah, you COULD go back down there naked and retrieve your corpse, but being able to just restart sort of killed the reason for having guilds all networked over ICQ.  However, I didn't flood message boards talking about how D2 sucked because there was little risk, and it seems like that's ALL I see about D3.  This sucks, that sucks, the auction house sucks, release with no PvP sucks, blah, blah, blah.

I say, again, as I said farther up:  if people think it sucks, don't play it.  It will be better on the servers for players to whom the game is not life or death, but just a game.

• SiiionSiiion Member Posts: 69

honestly, if this happened like 3 years ago I woulda been excited, my friends who all played d2 with me are excited and played beta, but man, I dunno, i think they waited too long

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

Edit. nvm I decided not to argue with blizzard's fanboys.

• fasaani500fasaani500 Member Posts: 15

First post here because the topic is dear to me, I've lurked the forums for years though, but I had to bring a different opinion to the table after seeing so much negativity. Sorry for misspells and typos, I'm not a fluent speaker.

Diablo 2... My first true game-love. I used to play the game for hours on end with 3 computers and 3 different cd-keys so I could boost my own characters and try different builds. I was kind of scared to log to D3 beta, as I knew they had simplified the holy grail a lot, and it was quite hard to believe at first that they had removed the skill-trees for good.

But soon after logging and recovering from the shock of finally playing the damn game I was hooked again and let me tell you why. The same atmosphere of exploring tristam's every rock and corner was still there and it actually felt like the Tristam we've come to know. I turned the music volume up, took a deep breath, and continued slashing my way throught new yet so familiar landscapes.

From a gameplay point of view the beta sure was really easy, but so was D2 up to hell difficulty, that was where the game really begun. I'm just really happy that I finally have a game to look forward to since I'm an extremely sceptical and cynical person nowadays, and I couldn't believe I could ever get the vibes from a game like I used to get from D2, Morrowind, DaoC or vanilla WoW. I own almost all the modern games (thanks to Steam and origin), yet I rarely play them longer than an hour. I've tried to get the spark from gaming, but even Skyrim was a huge let-down for me after a while, cause it lacked the magic and mystery Morrowind had (Oblivion was horrible imo), and that is because of the game-world... (I also hated the fact there was always a compass showing a direction to go from minute 1, no real exploration anywhere). The true worth of Blizzard is their rich lore and world, they just know how to cherish them, even if the games are linear and cartoonier.

The world of Tristam is still magical and the gameplay is very addictive. I might not spend the 2000 hours or whatever I spent on D2 because I'm getting old, but it will still give me quality time for a long time, and it already has - something no other game has been able to do for a decade.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

I just watched new footage of d3 from Yogscast and have a question. So now the game is a corridor game? 19 minutes of 1 long corridor.. I was in shock. Is it only beta or what?

• idgaradidgarad Member Posts: 174

Originally posted by QSatu

I just watched new footage of d3 from Yogscast and have a question. So now the game is a corridor game? 19 minutes of 1 long corridor.. I was in shock. Is it only beta or what?

The randomizer can spit out some brutal combination of rooms. The map is effectively a giant grid with puzzle pieces that are fitted in. When the Beta first launched in the cathedral I was able to document 18 pieces. By the end here a week ago when I stopped playing there were about 30. My guess is that over time and as we near launch there will be enough pieces that will help make the maps a bit more dense so you get less corridor to corridor piece connections. I remember I had 4 of those damn corner library pieces in a chain once. Painful. (That is the room with the dual staircase and narrow upper floor with bookshelves lining the lower floor, shaped like a boomerang).

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555

Allowing a game to be downloaded two months early seems silly.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

nobody will get the same!one might get endless corridor another might get almost none!its randomness is what will make the longevity of this game what player want!and if it is too easy they can twist the screw abit to make it harder!