Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hang on does this game have a seamless world or not?

Comments

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Originally posted by tixylix

Originally posted by bestever

Hmm I'll wait to play the beta if I get in or see the reviews, I'm dead against teleporting in games unless it is a class mechanic, then all that happens is people teleport everywhere and don't travel killing world PVP.

Have to wait and see.

Sorry to bust your bubble but no world pvp, you need to join WvWvW for that. The world is PVE and thats it. Also it works just fine in Rift and the world pvp is very strong. Rift proves that a class not having it does not hurt anything. The only thing that kills world pvp is flying mounts from what I've seen and its easy for you to find out, go play wow. World pvp dead.

Hearing no world PVP as well....... it gets worse : How is this getting claimed as the next big thing? Next someone will tell me the game has no crafting too or something else as disappointing. I'll play the beta if I get in or a trial after launch but it doesn't look good as this being an MMO, just lucky it doesn't make you subscribe, you can look at it as more of just a standard game then.

No world PvP as well? HAHAHAHAHA!!I

Is that really the best you can do? Come on man, surely you can come up with something better than that?

Anyways, Im glad you wont be there, because I dont want to fight players like you in WvWvW, theres just no challenge in it.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Hmm I'll wait to play the beta if I get in or see the reviews, I'm dead against teleporting in games unless it is a class mechanic, then all that happens is people teleport everywhere and don't travel killing world PVP.

Have to wait and see.

Sorry to bust your bubble but no world pvp, you need to join WvWvW for that. The world is PVE and thats it. Also it works just fine in Rift and the world pvp is very strong. Rift proves that a class not having it does not hurt anything. The only thing that kills world pvp is flying mounts from what I've seen and its easy for you to find out, go play wow. World pvp dead.

Hearing no world PVP as well....... it gets worse : How is this getting claimed as the next big thing? Next someone will tell me the game has no crafting too or something else as disappointing. I'll play the beta if I get in or a trial after launch but it doesn't look good as this being an MMO, just lucky it doesn't make you subscribe, you can look at it as more of just a standard game then.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by Adalwulff

Is that really the best you can do? Come on man, surely you can come up with something better than that?

Anyways, Im glad you wont be there, because I dont want to fight players like you in WvWvW, theres just no challenge in it.

I think wanting world PvP, seamless worlds and mounts is nothing to mock him about. Also implying he had no skill because he likes world PvP is not needed.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Have to wait and see.

You say that as though there is something with wanting world pvp.  Or that the game has world pvp and they are ignoring it and claiming it doesn't.  As far as I can tell there isn't any world pvp only instanced and a zone for pvp.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by RizelStar

Wow wasn't seem less itself. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think only sandboxes have had seem less worlds as far as MMOs go.Take care guys oh but one could argue and say they have that illusion the best.

There have been a few old games, usually 2D that was seamless without being sandboxes but truly seamless games are really rare.

I am happy enough if the zones are large and connected so you suddenly wont move from a desert into a frozen wasteland like in EQ2.

The important thing is that the game feels like a full world, not a few spots in a much larger world, like in AoC.

Load time is not really an issue for me, I have SSDs.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

Can someone tell me how to have half decent world pvp and not a KY gankfest without factions?

Originally posted by bossalinie

Can someone tell me how to have half decent world pvp and not a KY gankfest without factions?

Gankfest is always fun, all GW2 has to do is allow OWPvP and make a PvP server for it. Make it optional for people who want it.

Originally posted by Pivotelite

I think wanting world PvP, seamless worlds and mounts is nothing to mock him about. Also implying he had no skill because he likes world PvP is not needed.

The world PvP is there, just not like you want it too be.

There is no such thing as a seamless world, if it truly was seamless, the lag would kill us all. Before you say WoW is seamless, it is not, but they do mask it well.

I implied he has no skill because he obvioulsy hasnt read a damn thing about GW2, so it stands to reason he will know nothing about WvWvW, and thus be completly useless. If that wasnt bad enough, he will probably complain over the chat box about it, over and over and over......

So ya, Im glad he wont be there.

There is no such thing as a seamless world, if it truly was seamless, the lag would kill us all. Before you say WoW is seamless, it is not, but they do mask it well.

I implied he has no skill because he obvioulsy hasnt read a damn thing about GW2, so it stands to reason he will know nothing about WvWvW, and thus be completly useless. If that wasnt bad enough, he will probably complain over the chat box about it, over and over and over......

No world PvP is not there lol, World vs World instanced PvP is, but not OWPvP.

Also having no skill =/= being un-informed or literally just dissapointed in some aspects of GW2.

And about the WoW comment, it's better to mask it than make it obvious is it not?

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Anet has never said that W v W will be balanced. They know that this is a place where you may get mobbed by 50 people. They know there might be huge level disparities between players.

So a few things to note on W v W -

You can get owned by someone higher level than you.

There WILL BE A LEVEL DIFFERENCE.  (skill points/traits)

There WILL BE A GEAR DIFFERENCE.   (better gear - better stats)

You can be outnumbered 100-1 and you'll get no advantage.

Soloing possible but not reccomended.

The devs have spoken about this already. You can imagine the people who will be itching to get to max lvl just to own people in W v W. I may be one of those people.

Dev protip: Pick your fights carefully and you will be successful.

Read as: Don't charge into the mob you idiots.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

For me it's important to have a world like WoW did back in classic where it is all seamless apart from the instances. Yet all I'm seeing is how you'll be able teleport everywhere which instantly kills the world and ruins the whole point of an MMORPG for me. The news on mounts just means they don't expect you to travel very far and the game will be all instanced and zoned. 

The whole point of an MMO for me is to have this world, otherwise it might as well be a standard multiplayer game that just has a graphical server browser. The problem with SWTOR is you pay a subscription so I cannot justify that when I can get the same map design for free in a multiplayer game. GW2 however doesn't charge a subscription so I don't have to make the same choice or complaint around subscribing. 

However with this news it isn't going to be the next MMO I and many people have been waiting for on these forums. It just looks like it'll be like all the other modern MMOs that have largely gotten rid of their world for instances and fast travel.

:

I think your reference to WoW is not completely accurate. WoW had a world map loading screen when you boarded a ship and teleported ( they did appear and disappear out of nowhere) to the other continent? That, by the way, was in a different instance than the 1st continent.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Time out did this fool say the map designs look linear?

Edit: Ok not fool that's a bit too far, but did this confused individual say map design looks linear?

Maybe he was looking at the Personal Story versions of the in game maps. I'll hold out on links and videos.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

People derp a lot when it comes to GW2, they simply cannot comprehend it.

Also having no skill =/= being un-informed or literally just dissapointed in some aspects of GW2.

And about the WoW comment, it's better to mask it than make it obvious is it not?

There is world PvP, its called WvWvW, and its not instanced, its a HUGE zone, appartently you havent read anything about GW2 either, have you...lol. Another game used the exact same setup, and it was extremely successfull, ever hear of Dark Age of Camelot?

Yes, uninformed = clueless, which means your not going to be helping much are you? But I suspect thats not your motive, you are more interested in ganking lowbies than a fair fight. But, there will be some cases in WvW that you could do that.

If the loading screens are only 30 seconds or so, then I see no problem with it, or a need to mask it. Besides, how often do you expect to be changing zones??

If you have actually looked at a map, you would see the zones are huge, but if you want to blaze through the content as fast as you can, then you can only blame yourself for getting bored.

Thats is the real problem, you guys see this game like so many other MMOs, as a race to get max level before you actually PLAY the game, and GW2 is just not like that.

Originally posted by ComfyChair

True I really wanna see the linear maps he was looking at.

Lol it is amusing at people confusing WvWvW as well.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Even GW1 didn't have linear maps after the very first installment (and even then, most of the maps were pretty open).

People just can't be bothered to read and make up fake 'flaws' as part of their 'buyers remorse' syndrome that's starting to kick in for whatever game they don't want GW2 to be 'better' than. News flash: It probably is going to be better. So instead of whining and crying, read up on the game and maybe you'll realise it's time to move on :p

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Meowhead

Originally posted by brody71

meh. whatever. ive already told you i could care less either way.  just dont get yur hopes up.

I'm impressed.

It's really hard to win an argument with somebody whose response is 'I don't really care'

'2+2 isn't 3?  Meh, whatever.  I dont' really care.  ... but don't get your hopes up that it's 4!'

Look, it's okay to point out problems in GW2, but if you make up completely baseless stories with much video evidence showing you're wrong, you're just embarrassing yourself and everybody who agrees with you. :(

Well played.

Brody71, if you scoop a cup into the ocean and find there are no fish in the cup, can you say there are no fish in the ocean?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Even GW1 didn't have linear maps after the very first installment (and even then, most of the maps were pretty open).

People just can't be bothered to read and make up fake 'flaws' as part of their 'buyers remorse' syndrome that's starting to kick in for whatever game they don't want GW2 to be 'better' than. News flash: It probably is going to be better. So instead of whining and crying, read up on the game and maybe you'll realise it's time to move on :p

Comfy I shit you not I was about to say the same exact thing about GW 1 lol, I said it and then erased it.

Edited: Oh and I know what you mean, though in a sense it's to be expected, when the last AAA MMO had linear maps, and other MMOs had linear maps, I guess for few it's best to assume in their mind, which is normal but annoying as hell. My first big follow up on an MMO I played and for once all my assumptions about it made me look like an ass(In general I thought GW 2 sucked balls and another MMO was going to be the best ever due to it's IP.) lol, my friends were laughing but aye I maned up and was like "Well shit this game really is [something else]." 

I mean MMOs through gameplay can't really keep me and my preference wanting to stay attach. However...

Indeed, everyone has to accept they're wrong sometimes :)

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

Okay, let's be honest, here...

If the areas are big enough, does it matter that they're seamless? It bothers me how WoW is brought up because WoW is irrelevant. Ever since wall-walking was fixed (I hate you, Blizzard), you have to obey zone travel rules. What this means is that you have a pretty boxy zone shape (yes, in WoW you do, just look at the bloody maps) and you have to take very specific paths into and out of the zone.

In fact, this system is so restrictive in WoW that WoW might as well be instanced. But here's a thing... because WoW isn't instanced, the zones are really dull. Sorry, but they are. There's not a hell of a lot to explore, and usually they're just... tiny. There were map areas in Guild Wars 1 that felt bigger and more open than Kalimdor to move across. In Nightfall especially there were areas that made the Barrens feel tiny.

And there's the tihng... you essentially have instanced zones in WoW, but you also have tiny, detailless zones. In fact, it's only in the instanced zones themselves (like Gilneas) do you actually see much detail. You can tell that in the open world they're laying off the detail button. Just compare the detail of the Gilneas area with the detail of the Stormwind area. And what I'm talking about becomes pretty obvious, pretty quickly.

So the thing is is that due to low end computers and limited bandwidth, you can't have an entire world zone AND detail. But what you can do is strike the right balance between openness and detailed. See, in WoW, everything feels barren, not just the Barrens. But in Guild Wars (Nightfall especially), you had areas that felt detailed and so alive, you had a jungle that actually felt like a jungle (rather than just terrain gen with a few trees plopped in, something that Bethesda is guilty of as well). But you also had these massive flats.

So, you can have a seamless world, but it has to be this thing which is largely lacking in detail.

But if you have instanced zones, you can have the odd massive zone which is intentionally barren (deserts and such), or you can have smaller, very detailed zones. And all this makes up for a massively varied complete world. So the benefits of actually separating areas into zones are obvious.

Another thing with WoW is that it's very barren in regards to exploration. This is, again, because Blizzard can't push the detail button much due to their choices. So the secrets are pretty shit, really. But in Guild Wars 2, you'll be able to attack and destroy a rock that leads to a mini-dungeon filled with traps, danger, and possibly even parkour. You can have so much detail dedicated to just that one section.

Because of this, Guild Wars 2 encourages exploration. They have invisible walls around the zones, sure, but the areas you can explore will have loads of hidden stuff strewn through it. And again, this approach allows them to create really feature packed areas, and the odd area which feels really expansive. So the moment you step out of a city you know that in the direct area you're in, there are likely tens of secrets just waiting for you to find them.

Compared to the sum of secrets (zero!) in WoW, I prefer that.

So, yeah... give me an instanced game over a seamless one any day, because seamless worlds create so many limitations that it's just not worth it. Why do you think Blizzard couldn't put Gilneas in their world map? It's because Gilneas had a lot of detail swapping and zoning, reflecting the things you've done (similar to GW2). In fact, Gilneas is one, tiny area of WoW that feels like GW2. Why? It's instanced.

Case closed for me.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Gankfest is always fun, all GW2 has to do is allow OWPvP and make a PvP server for it. Make it optional for people who want it.

It is odd they aren't having PVP servers.  Doesn't seem like there is any downside.  People that don't want it don't have to go on those servers.  People that do want it will scream until they get it.

I myself would like open world PVP:  it adds excitement to PVE.  I'm not a ganker at all it is actually the thrill of avoiding ganking that makes it fun.  If the RvRvR PVP is good though that might be adequate.  But I'm skeptical about the frequent resets of the RvRvR instances.  As for battlegrounds, I am 100% done with the feeble MMO battlegrounds.  FPS is light years ahead of MMO's when it comes to battlegrounds in my opinion.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

It is odd they aren't having PVP servers.  Doesn't seem like there is any downside.  People that don't want it don't have to go on those servers.  People that do want it will scream until they get it.

I myself would like open world PVP:  it adds excitement to PVE.  I'm not a ganker at all it is actually the thrill of avoiding ganking that makes it fun.  If the RvRvR PVP is good though that might be adequate.  But I'm skeptical about the frequent resets of the RvRvR instances.  As for battlegrounds, I am 100% done with the feeble MMO battlegrounds.  FPS is light years ahead of MMO's when it comes to battlegrounds in my opinion.

It's probably because OWPvP servers are purely based around griefing, and the whole game is based around anti-griefing. It doesn't gel with the design philosophy. They COULD do it, but they won't.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

There is world PvP, its called WvWvW, and its not instanced, its a HUGE zone, appartently you havent read anything about GW2 either, have you...lol. Another game used the exact same setup, and it was extremely successfull, ever hear of Dark Age of Camelot?

Yes, uninformed = clueless, which means your not going to be helping much are you? But I suspect thats not your motive, you are more interested in ganking lowbies than a fair fight. But, there will be some cases in WvW that you could do that.

If the loading screens are only 30 seconds or so, then I see no problem with it, or a need to mask it. Besides, how often do you expect to be changing zones??

If you have actually looked at a map, you would see the zones are huge, but if you want to blaze through the content as fast as you can, then you can only blame yourself for getting bored.

Thats is the real problem, you guys see this game like so many other MMOs, as a race to get max level before you actually PLAY the game, and GW2 is just not like that.

While I agree the mists isn't instanced pvp, I think the problem is that many people view world pvp as taking place anywhere in the world, which isn't the case here.  It can take place anywhere in 1 zone.  Huge or not (I agree that it is pretty damn big) that is still only 1 zone, and to many not world pvp.  I think it looks fun, and I wish there would be more of this in other games, especially the ability to go there at early levels rather than having to go through pve to get to the pvp.  Unfortunately there are other things I don't like about it so I'm not sure that I'll get it.  But I think that they are doing good with the pvp that they have, it just isn't world pvp to me.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

It's probably because OWPvP servers are purely based around griefing, and the whole game is based around anti-griefing. It doesn't gel with the design philosophy. They COULD do it, but they won't.

Now that is an extreme statement that I would disagree with.  But, if they are truly doing it on some principle about gaming I can respect that.  I'm betting they might add some PVP servers over time though, just a hunch.  It's not like a pure PVE game that hasn't thought about PVP.  Adding a PVP server seems almost trivial...

They can even call the server "Gankorific" to warn the carebears away ;)

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Now that is an extreme statement that I would disagree with.  But, if they are truly doing it on some principle about gaming I can respect that.  I'm betting they might add some PVP servers over time though, just a hunch.  It's not like a pure PVE game that hasn't thought about PVP.  Adding a PVP server seems almost trivial...

They can even call the server "Gankorific" to warn the carebears away ;)

The problem is not giving people  OWPVP sever but making the mechanics ingame create a great experience to anyone who wants to take part in it.

Right now with how DEs and skills work you would have to add a lot of rules and coding to adapt it to an enviroment to where potentially everyone is your enemy from one where everyone is your ally in every way.

You cant give things like this just for the sake of giving, you gota do it right and create cohesive systems that work well with the game you have designed. Just siwtching a toogle for open world pvp would make the game unplayable.

Also its in in their ideology of a game. I think its in the manifesto? They say that every time you see a person in the pve world you should feel happy to work with him since there are absolutely no negative about it. Other people just enhance your experience.

But like i said, if they do owpvp they will do it right and will be something that will take time.