Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hang on does this game have a seamless world or not?

tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

For me it's important to have a world like WoW did back in classic where it is all seamless apart from the instances. Yet all I'm seeing is how you'll be able teleport everywhere which instantly kills the world and ruins the whole point of an MMORPG for me. The news on mounts just means they don't expect you to travel very far and the game will be all instanced and zoned. 

The whole point of an MMO for me is to have this world, otherwise it might as well be a standard multiplayer game that just has a graphical server browser. The problem with SWTOR is you pay a subscription so I cannot justify that when I can get the same map design for free in a multiplayer game. GW2 however doesn't charge a subscription so I don't have to make the same choice or complaint around subscribing. 

However with this news it isn't going to be the next MMO I and many people have been waiting for on these forums. It just looks like it'll be like all the other modern MMOs that have largely gotten rid of their world for instances and fast travel.

:

Comments

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

The game world will have 25 different regions at launch. I'm not sure if you need to load between all of these, but there will be some load screens but the zones are so huge it does not matter.

• EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286

The world isn't completely seemless.  I believe the overall world is divided into 4 major zones.   There's a loading transition between those 4 zones but everything inside the zones are seemless. 

There's also no instances or shards for the zones so you will be able to meet everyone who's playing in that zone.   There are still instanced dungeons though.

I think the major cities are separated from the overworld via a loading portal though, but that's mostly because they're so big that it'd be hard not to do it that way.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

The world is pretty much seamless for all practical purposes, as is evident from the longer gameplay beta videos.

When you're playing in the open world pretty much the only time you'll see a loading screen is when you're teleporting and you won't be doing that much unless, for some reason, you want to zip around the map all the time. Sorry, but if you have teleporting in a game then you need to have a loading screen - there is no getting around it and I don't see what's wrong with that. What else should happen in between being at point A and point B on the other side of the continent? A flying dragon animation?

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

There is some loading screens, and portals like in GW1. For sure. They have been seen around the world. 

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Hmm I'll wait to play the beta if I get in or see the reviews, I'm dead against teleporting in games unless it is a class mechanic, then all that happens is people teleport everywhere and don't travel killing world PVP.

Have to wait and see.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Originally posted by tixylix

For me it's important to have a world like WoW did back in classic where it is all seamless apart from the instances. Yet all I'm seeing is how you'll be able teleport everywhere which instantly kills the world and ruins the whole point of an MMORPG for me. The news on mounts just means they don't expect you to travel very far and the game will be all instanced and zoned. 

The whole point of an MMO for me is to have this world, otherwise it might as well be a standard multiplayer game that just has a graphical server browser. The problem with SWTOR is you pay a subscription so I cannot justify that when I can get the same map design for free in a multiplayer game. GW2 however doesn't charge a subscription so I don't have to make the same choice or complaint around subscribing. 

However with this news it isn't going to be the next MMO I and many people have been waiting for on these forums. It just looks like it'll be like all the other modern MMOs that have largely gotten rid of their world for instances and fast travel.

:

Yes there are no mounts and yes tehre are loading screens here and there. The whole point of MMO is to have fun with others, not listening to whiners, so will we miss you?

• MwynForeverMwynForever Member Posts: 139

If you don't want the teleport load screen you are welcome to walk.

P.S. I think you better read up what world pvp is in GW2. I suspect that will be far more of an issue for you then teleports. If you're looking forward to killing your fellow server mates while out and about in the world you are in the wrong place I'm afraid.

One of life's lil hand grenades

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Hmm I'll wait to play the beta if I get in or see the reviews, I'm dead against teleporting in games unless it is a class mechanic, then all that happens is people teleport everywhere and don't travel killing world PVP.

Have to wait and see.

There is no world PvP and teleporting can only be done to waypoints which you have unlocked. Teleporting also costs money so there is still an incentive to travel by foot.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Have to wait and see.

Well you certainly can't teleport wherever you want, whenever you want, in Guild Wars 2's World v World PvP (not your typical World PvP on a PvP server). However you will feel the need to teleport, if you want to get around the massive maps quick enough and it is not limited as some kind of class mechanic. Also there will be short loading screens in between zones/maps. If that is all it takes to kill your enjoyment with a game, then GW2 won't be for you. Also if you want any chance of getting into the beta then you'd have to pre-purchase the game.

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516

Originally posted by Diovidius

Have to wait and see.

There is no world PvP and teleporting can only be done to waypoints which you have unlocked. Teleporting also costs money so there is still an incentive to travel by foot.

Exactly, it costs as much money as dying and respawning. There is no World PvP, there is WvW (RvR) in which you can't teleport save for keeps owned by your faction, and even those have to be upgraded first.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

Originally posted by Master10K

Have to wait and see.

Well you certainly can't teleport wherever you want, whenever you want, in Guild Wars 2's World v World PvP (not your typical World PvP on a PvP server). However you will feel the need to teleport, if you want to get around the massive maps quick enough and it is not limited as some kind of class mechanic. Also there will be short loading screens in between zones/maps. If that is all it takes to kill your enjoyment with a game, then GW2 won't be for you. Also if you want any chance of getting into the beta then you'd have to pre-purchase the game.

And you cant teleport while in combat.

• Kyuz0oKyuz0o Member Posts: 80

It makes me sad when people post rants about stuff that they obviously know nothing about.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

i like the quotes from the fanboy's in this thread. saying it will be pratically seamless, or you wont notice it.  the zone's are so big you wont notice it.  give me a break.  i've watched all the press beta videos, and they hit as many load screens as SWTOR.  You don;t need to try to hide anything from other people, just tell it like it is.  there are load screens, and lots of them.  the world is not seemless. 

I've got the straight edge.

• PushkinaPushkina Member Posts: 34

I really hope that it's not true.

Links pls?

Be patience I am dyslexic.

Originally posted by brody71

i like the quotes from the fanboy's in this thread. saying it will be pratically seamless, or you wont notice it.  the zone's are so big you wont notice it.  give me a break.  i've watched all the press beta videos, and they hit as many load screens as SWTOR.  You don;t need to try to hide anything from other people, just tell it like it is.  there are load screens, and lots of them.  the world is not seemless. 

Cut scenes are not zone loading screens. In GW1 at least you could skip cut scenes if you wanted. I have no idea if that is the case in GW2 or not, but I for one actually liked them in GW1.

blah blah blah, look at this videos again. The loading screens happen only when they die or travel.

Now I can say that I laugh at people that say something extreamly stupid and out of place, give me a break, ... please...

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Would you like to supply a source, because I never seen that many loading screens in all the videos I have seen.  The loading screens that I have seen with death porting, city portals that were seen were not long enough to be game breaking and no more so than previous MMO's I have played.

Originally posted by Pushkina

I really hope that it's not true.

Links pls?

watch the yogscast videos.

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516

Of course if you teleport, or enter a portal, there will be a loading screen. This happens in all games, so it is not really fair to count that in "lots of them". The loading screens between zones themselves are rare because yes, zones are really big when compared to the average zone in a MMORPG. 

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

Originally posted by biggarfoot

Would you like to supply a source, because I never seen that many loading screens in all the videos I have seen.  The loading screens that I have seen with death porting, city portals that were seen were not long enough to be game breaking and no more so than previous MMO's I have played.

watch the yogscast videos.  there are load screens with the personal story quests and in between zones. it's not a new idea and i dont know why you care so much.  there are just as many load screens as with swtor.  anet has even said so much.  it's really no surprise.

yeah, i just got a bunch of shit for speaking the truth. just watch the videos. load screens happen and they are as long as the swtor ones and as frequent.  i dont know what the big deal with guys is.  is shit but thats the way it is.  deal with it.

watch the yogscast videos.  there are load screens with the personal story quests and in between zones. it's not a new idea and i dont know why you care so much.  there are just as many load screens as with swtor.  anet has even said so much.  it's really no surprise.

Ok watching yogcast and I am thinking the personal story quests you are speaking of that irritate you are cut scenes. Yes Star Wars has them too as do some other games. Cut scenes were integral to the GW1 story arc though again you could skip them. It's just a bit of misinformation to say they are load screens between zones when they aren't at all.

Originally posted by MwynForever

Ok watching yogcast and I am thinking the personal story quests you are speaking of that irritate you are cut scenes. Yes Star Wars has them too as do some other games. Cut scenes were integral to the GW1 story arc though again you could skip them. It's just a bit of misinformation to say they are load screens between zones when they aren't at all.

how they do it. whoever "they" are doesnt bother me at all.  gw2 has load screens between zones.  wish i could link the info to you but i dont care that much.  all i know is that inbetween the char starter zone, for example, and the whatever the zone they go to is, there will be a loading screen.  arenanet has already said so, so dont get on my case, thats just the way it is.  there will be a load screen between zones, if we were playing WoW then there will be a load screen between Deathknell, and Brill.  that;s the way it is in gw2.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Seen the Yogscast vids and they didn't even travel inbetween zones. The only times they experienced a load screen was for the personal story and traveling to a waypoint and nothing else. People who don't want to experience all those load screens can simply avoid them by not doing the story content and traveling by foot but, people tend to prefer the convenience of teleportation over being forced to travel long distances, again & again.

Originally posted by MwynForever

how they do it. whoever "they" are doesnt bother me at all.  gw2 has load screens between zones.  wish i could link the info to you but i dont care that much.  all i know is that inbetween the char starter zone, for example, and the whatever the zone they go to is, there will be a loading screen.  arenanet has already said so, so dont get on my case, thats just the way it is.  there will be a load screen between zones, if we were playing WoW then there will be a load screen between Deathknell, and Brill.  that;s the way it is in gw2.

Dude, no one is getting on your case. No one has thus far claimed there are no loading screens between zones as far as I can see. Simply saying the game isn't "full" of them to some weird disproportionate amount as you can walk instead of teleport. And the personal story cut scenes are something different. People say stuff that freak other people out who don't know and they take it as gospel when it's simply not the case.