Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stipulation on guaranteed access of beta. Must pre-purchase. Not pre-order

Comments

• lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229

Originally posted by brody71

Originally posted by Sector13

Originally posted by Omali

Originally posted by evilastro

Originally posted by InFaVilla

Originally posted by st4t1ck

(quotes)

because your not testing it to see if you like it.... or thats not what its for at least

Yeah, I agree with you in that sentiment. However, I do believe that's why many people would want to get into the beta, to test to see if it lives up to their expectations.

If you are that cautious about 60 dollars, wait a few months after launch to see if other people like it.

If that is the issue then pay the 60 to prepurchase, get beta access then call your CC company and tell them to remove the charge.

You sure are casual about credit card fraud. You know that's illegal, right?

Credit card fraud actually involves obtaining goods or money from it which would not happen in this situation. Access to a beta is not a good or have a value that can be judged by money.

they are selling beta access, so it would pertain to this situation.

Personally, I already pre-ordered from Gamestop.  I'm not buying digital anything because I'd like to see Gamestop and actual physical copies stick arround..........Keep giving away the farm for tiny bit of conveinience and next you'll own nothing, be forced to only play through Steam or EA/Origin.....Games through them are not really purchased, they are rented. 

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

Originally posted by Falcomith

It seems if you want guaranteed access to weekend betas, you must pre-purchase (pay in full). 

Pre-orders (deposit only) dont get guaranteed beta access and only get one day head start. See link.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/pre-purchase-guild-wars-2-t31280.html?p=1212248#post1212248

I don't see the big deal. I was buying the CE just on the little bit I have already played, the beta is just a bonus

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by lokiboard

(quotes)

because your not testing it to see if you like it.... or thats not what its for at least

Yeah, I agree with you in that sentiment. However, I do believe that's why many people would want to get into the beta, to test to see if it lives up to their expectations.

If you are that cautious about 60 dollars, wait a few months after launch to see if other people like it.

If that is the issue then pay the 60 to prepurchase, get beta access then call your CC company and tell them to remove the charge.

Credit card fraud actually involves obtaining goods or money from it which would not happen in this situation. Access to a beta is not a good or have a value that can be judged by money.

Personally, I already pre-ordered from Gamestop.  I'm not buying digital anything because I'd like to see Gamestop and actual physical copies stick arround..........Keep giving away the farm for tiny bit of conveinience and next you'll own nothing, be forced to only play through Steam or EA/Origin.....Games through them are not really purchased, they are rented. 

If they ban your account or if it gets hacked or deleted then it's no different. Now you just got a box and DVDs gathering dust since they are unuseable.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

(quotes)

Beta access is incentive to prepurchase the game, so it doesn't since they are giving you access for free to buy the game now.

if i bought a car (a game) and it came with tires (beta access) and i used the tires and returned the car. that would be fraud. i wouldbe getting something for nothing.  slow down your entitlement train. if you plan to pre-purchase with no intent to buy, you are commiting fraud.

I've got the straight edge.

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

(quotes)

Beta access is incentive to prepurchase the game, so it doesn't since they are giving you access for free to buy the game now.

if i bought a car (a game) and it came with tires (beta access) and i used the tires and returned the car. that would be fraud. i wouldbe getting something for nothing.  slow down your entitlement train. if you plan to pre-purchase with no intent to buy, you are commiting fraud.

How does that make any sense? You need tires to drive the car. You don't NEED beta access to play the game when it comes out. Think of a better example. Cause technically, You buy a car, they give you a free air freshener when buying the car, they don't expact to get that back when you return the car. That is a better example cause you don't need the air freshener to drive the car and it was GIVEN to you for buying the car, it's not a part of the car. By your example, you would be committing fraud for canceling your preperchase before the game came out.

• lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229

Originally posted by lokiboard

(quotes)

If they ban your account or if it gets hacked or deleted then it's no different. Now you just got a box and DVDs gathering dust since they are unuseable.

Yes but they are doing this with non-mmo games as well.....I want is on my hd and able to play with or without steam/EA's permission....

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

(quotes)

How does that make any sense? You need tires to drive the car. You don't NEED beta access to play the game when it comes out. Think of a better example. Cause technically, You buy a car, they give you a free air freshener when buying the car, they don't expact to get that back when you return the car. That is a better example cause you don't need the air freshener to drive the car and it was GIVEN to you for buying the car, it's not a part of the car. By your example, you would be committing fraud for canceling your preperchase before the game came out.

exactly.

I've got the straight edge.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364

Standard Edition (Europe) — Customers will buy the Standard Edition Pre-Purchase box and receive their serial code. This is the only serial code customers will receive and will grant access to the Beta Weekend Events, three-day Headstart Access, the Hero's Band digital item, and full access to the final live game. Customers will not need to return to retail to receive another serial code.

the pre-purchase key is the "serial" for everthing even the live version.....u cant cancel that so easy :S

• GuelyGuely Member Posts: 114

There is probably gonna be a no return policy which will prevent you from being able to cancel the charge with your bank.

I run a business and I never lose charge backs. All I have to do is provide a link with our return policy and I win.

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

I think , on the whole, Anet has been nothing but generous by making a game of this quality following the B2p model. If you want to be sure before buying it, wait for 2 months after its out and buy it then. As some one said before, they only have to guarantee you the game, not the beta.

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

I'm willing to buy the game...probably the CE and I prefer to buy directly from Arenanet.    I feel that I'm showing support for their game and their company and I'll have a blast at the same time.

Beta's are good and bad as everyone knows...those of you on the fence just wait until after the game has come out and read player reviews.

:)

• eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218

I've would pay 1000 dollars if that got me a spot in the beta. This game is gonna be so awesome, i don't get the whining about a 60 bucks pre-purchase :/

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328
    Originally posted by eAzydaman

I've would pay 1000 dollars if that got me a spot in the beta. This game is gonna be so awesome, i don't get the whining about a 60 bucks pre-purchase :/

No matter what decision, content, art work, patch notes, effort, statement a company does players will always complain about something, always.

Originally posted by Mavacar

Originally posted by eAzydaman

No matter what decision, content, art work, patch notes, effort, statement a company does players will always complain about something, always.

True :/

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

I don't get it. Why is this bad?

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

It's really hard to wrap your head around why people are complaining. For pre-paying 60 bucks you get a bunch of perks like beta and early access. And GW2 in and of itself is 10+ years of fun :) And you don't even have to pay a fee. It's a sweet deal IMO

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Originally posted by kzaske

It seems if you want guaranteed access to weekend betas, you must pre-purchase (pay in full). 

Pre-orders (deposit only) dont get guaranteed beta access and only get one day head start. See link.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/pre-purchase-guild-wars-2-t31280.html?p=1212248#post1212248

I have no problems with this.  Why do you?  I am not mocking you, I just want to know why you have a problem with this marketing plan.

I don't have a problem with it at all. I was just posting the new information that came out from arenanet yesterday afternoon. I am all for it as I have stated a bit earlier in the thread. Page 7 I believe.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

This just means that there won't be people flooding into the Beta Events as a "try before you buy", on a refundable $5 deposit, or, in the case of Amazon, no deposit at all.

A big benefit to this, aside from maybe keeping some trolls out of the beta events, is that it makes it a lot easier to roll out the proper amount of game servers when the game launches. Rather than having to guess what percentage of pre-orders will actually convert to box purchases, Arenanet will have a large number of pre-purchases that they don't have to guess over. They will still have some pre-order customers, but with no assured beta access and only a one day headstart. A lot easier to manage. Launch week purchases are harder to predict, but when you actually bring up new servers to handle that inflow, you know those players have all purchased the game and presumably did so to actually play the game. :)

BTW, sucks a bit for me personally. I pre-ordered via Amazon a long time ago and locked in a $55 box price, but that pre-order is essentially worthless for me now, unless Amazon is able to participate in the pre-purchase program and my pre-order will be applicable. However, I'm not going to complain. For me, a pre-purchase with the associated benefits is a no-brainer and I don't really care if I lose out on the savings from the very early Amazon pre-order.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Who cares. If you re like the many that can t wait for the game, you would be buying it anyways.

• shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374

A pre-purchase is the same as a preorder.  It is not a contract until the item is delivered.  You could always get a refund before release date.  No fraud is done this way.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

I'm really not a fan of this approach.  Good thing I can play D3 and skip this game for a good six months.  Maybe I'll find it for $30 by then.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by ComfyChair

Originally posted by Theocritus

Always hated the "you have to pay to get into beta" approach...That really turns me off from a game.

You don't *have* to pay, paying just guarentees access. Otherwise it's like the beta event at the end of this month.

I think it's perfectly fair. If you've paid money into arenanet's pocket, i think it's fine for them to allow you to definitely play the game before release in the beta's.

exactly, everyone is equall, CE or normal edition, and for the normal edition there are no extra costs, you just need to bay a bit earlier.

((okay lets say i could have got interest on my savings, which would equall about 50 cents if the release is in September and even less if its earlier.))

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I'm really not a fan of this approach.  Good thing I can play D3 and skip this game for a good six months.  Maybe I'll find it for $30 by then.

I think for many people that have been waytinf for D3 ever since D2, this game might turn out like a huge dissapointment. Gaming has evolved since the release of D2, but obviously D3 will be just what it says it will be.... Diablo number 3, and nothing more.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Originally posted by shadow9d9

A pre-purchase is the same as a preorder.  It is not a contract until the item is delivered.  You could always get a refund before release date.  No fraud is done this way.

It is quite different. Pre-purchase you pay everything up front. The entire $60, or $150 for the CE in my case come April 10th. Once you exchange money with the cashier, or hit the submit button on the website, and entered the product key you sealed the deal. And yes they stated that the key given for pre-purchase is a product key.

If that consumer later disputes the charge from the CC company or bank, the bank does an investigation. If the bank or CC company determines you made the authorization you can have criminal charges put against you. Also can put you in jail depending on the amount.

I know this because my wife works for a bank.

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Originally posted by shadow9d9

It is quite different. Pre-purchase you pay everything up front. The entire $60, or $150 for the CE in my case come April 10th. Once you exchange money with the cashier, or hit the submit button on the website, and entered the product key you sealed the deal. And yes they stated that the key given for pre-purchase is a product key.

If that consumer later disputes the charge from the CC company or bank, the bank does an investigation. If the bank or CC company determines you made the authorization you can have criminal charges put against you. Also can put you in jail depending on the amount.

I know this because my wife works for a bank.

This is as it should be, and should have been all along for every game in the past. Puts a 100% stop to those that want to play for free to try it before they comit ANY of thier money to it. This wouldn't be a problem if that didnt also include the crowd that never expect to give any moeny at all, the ones that plan all along to get the free ride and the pre-order cancel. Doing this, stops them dead in thier tracks, and thats for the good. 

I still think the price on the download is a bit steep, especially if they follow the same trend they did in GW1. 4 boxes in just over 2 years. If we have the same $60 for the low end on each, thats a nice $240 total price tag at the end, might as well just call it a P2P with a $10 a month sub fee - it comes out the same in the end. 

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)