Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: GDC 2012 Preview

13»

Comments

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by cippalippa

But Funcom let a game to rot, meanwhile asking even more money frome their customers. Can you tell me what insurance i have they will not do it again? And it's not AoC, it is also AO...it's like an habit not a single exception. Get it now?

I can't say anything about how AoC played for you, or how it was as a game for you.

But this sounds wrong: ok, Vanguard, Warhammer, those games I could understand if you said that they were 'left to rot'. But from what I recall from AoC, they have been adding content and changes throughout the years, adding zones, changing classes and combat system, adding an expansion, adding content that linked with the Conan movie, and I even read something about a crafting change. That doesn't sound 'leaving to rot' to me, especially when you compare it with games that were REALLY left to rot, like Vanguard, SWG the past 4-5 years and Warhammer.

• cippalippacippalippa Member UncommonPosts: 108

Originally posted by cutthecrap

Originally posted by cippalippa

But Funcom let a game to rot, meanwhile asking even more money frome their customers. Can you tell me what insurance i have they will not do it again? And it's not AoC, it is also AO...it's like an habit not a single exception. Get it now?

I can't say anything about how AoC played for you, or how it was as a game for you.

But this sounds wrong: ok, Vanguard, Warhammer, those games I could understand if you said that they were 'left to rot'. But from what I recall from AoC, they have been adding content and changes throughout the years, adding zones, changing classes and combat system, adding an expansion, adding content that linked with the Conan movie, and I even read something about a crafting change. That doesn't sound 'leaving to rot' to me, especially when you compare it with games that were REALLY left to rot, like Vanguard, SWG the past 4-5 years and Warhammer.

...yes adding new things you have to pay for of course, not solving old bugs/problems, ignoring the community, the community advocacy system they wanted to introduce until these  all left for delusion,  and introducing new bugs/problems to let unsolved with every add-on they made.

It is not like they are not able to put good stuff on to roast, but they are definetly not able to finish coocking it to transform it in a fantastic meal. I agree it is a pity and for this reason also i'm more angry at them, they have very good developers which have to be humiliated in their job by their management...

• chaod1984chaod1984 Member Posts: 271

Yes, there are still bugs in AoC...but I guess Im just not the type of person who lets every little bug effect my fun in a game.  The bugs left are are pretty minimal and don't really effect the way you play the game.  I don't play anymore, but played for 2 years and I still love the game, just ran all the raids and what not (cept for the expansion ones).  I always go back to it every once in a while because I love the game.  The only thing I didnt like was that AoC as with all IP based MMO's are limited to the story already written...something I've never liked. 

I like MMO's that aren't based on a book or character that has already been created.  That's why I thought AO was the best game I ever played....you were the story.  I think that TSW will offer something similar.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Am I the only one that really hoped for...more?

I really was excited about this game for a few years, but we get closer and closer to launch and still don't know that much about it..

I looked forward, eagerly, to Thursday (yesterday) when pressbans would be lifted and they got to revel in all the glory of the secret world.

I feel really disappointed. I mean, sure, now we know there's ziplines, and gosh that's exciting but..

(btw, the zipline thing was no more impressive that climbing the ladder before it)

Combat really doesn't look spectacular at all. Maybe it's the levelrange of the mobs, but I never liked the premise of mobs that just stood waiting to come at you in waves when the sensible thing would be to come all at once and have the best chance to overpower you. Suddenly zombies have honor???

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Nah, they could just be in trance and you disturb them little by little. We can't know the mechanics of that fight until we play it.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

Alot of people are bashing FUncom in this thread, but I'm here to tell you that I have played AO since 2005 and haven't spent a dime yet......Yeah they may put things in the cash shop that some players feel aren't fair but you don't have to buy them......Same with AoC...You dont have to spend a dime to play....Quit blaming the companies when the fault lies with the consumers.

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Originally posted by Theocritus

Alot of people are bashing FUncom in this thread, but I'm here to tell you that I have played AO since 2005 and haven't spent a dime yet......Yeah they may put things in the cash shop that some players feel aren't fair but you don't have to buy them......Same with AoC...You dont have to spend a dime to play....Quit blaming the companies when the fault lies with the consumers.

You are 100% correct. you do not need to spend a dime in the cash shop. But the player next to you is. He's buying Tokens and OFAB Armor.  

Well, so what? Tokens are just mission points and OFAB is only best in slot for 1 to 3 pieces.

But they aren't buying them to use them, they are buying them to re-sell them ingame for hundreds of millions of credits a pop.

From there, that player will reach out and contact people like this guy

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?t=597467 (if he's offline,  Don't worry there are many more like him)

Who will be happy to take those credits the other player just traded tokens that were paid for with real Dollars/Euros

He will level the other player's character from 1 to 220 (for about 1/2 billion cr) and then equip him with every piece of NODROP best in slot raid gear in the game. Because FunCom love Loot Right sellers. Afterall, those Loot Right Sellers encourage cash shop purchases. Why else would such a broken mechanic exist in a game where up to 30 minutes after a boss dies, anyone in the game can be warped in and brought into the team and allowed to loot? For a hefty fee of course.

Don't believ me? FC outright killed 2 of the markets in the game wher eplayers can earn money prior to endgame. (S10--No more bounties and Token Guns People don't buy the guns anymore, they resell token packs)  

Why did they do that? CS sales went up. Before I left, all those die hard anti cash shop players who voiced so many concerns were now all talking about how much they were personally bugeting for the cash shop.....It's just easier than farming.

This is how AO is done now. Not rare, not uncommon, but prevalent. Just look at that thread, it's one of many and there is no lack of people posting for his "service".

Good luck finding groups now too. And once Ao goes live with the instant level packs (yes, that's correct, by a buff that grants instant levels...BOOM level one to level 220 at the right click of a button.) That's going to do wonders for the people in LFT.

And let's not forget the already over priced AAA sub fee they still charge.

Way to kill a game FC. Good Job!

Nicely played GeeTee, bringing facts and stuff.

Yeah. Cash shops are bad and they do not belong in a subscription game. I'm fine with games that have done subscription OR cash shop, but both is just a kick in the nuts to whatever loyal playerbase might still remain.

I am not trying to bash TSW. It's the opposite, FC has some real creative talent, they know how to design a game. But somewhere in the process, they get greedy,  and it breaks down for them. Plus, I really don't think FC management has a true understanding of how delecate balance is in the longjevity of an MMO. Which is truly ironic since they have one of the longer running ones.

I was (still am) excited for this game, I was (still am) watching it and I want this game to be a success. But it's not without concerns and reservations as to how where and why FC is going to focus on it's revenue from it. Will they be satisfied with primarily Sub fees and some supplimental revenue from the CS? I personally doubt it.

I especially am concerned for what they say they will do. Since that is the root cause for just about every problem they have ever had. When they announced their Cash Shop in AO, they said they would primarily focus on cosmetic items. But how can they say they "focus" on that when it's the customers who decide what to focus on?

If I own a convieneince store and I sell cans of  soda and cans of beer. I put both in the dispaly cooler and sell both. How can I say I am focusing on soda while all my customers are buying the beer? The "focus" is totally irrelevant. Who cares? I'm selling both.

Regardless, FC cannot treat it's playerbase the way it has done in previous titles. They are already presenting a big pill to swallow as it is.

I just want to call them out by shedding some light on what they are really doing in their games and tell them to stop it!

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

Originally posted by Deathofsage

Yeah. Cash shops are bad and they do not belong in a subscription game. I'm fine with games that have done subscription OR cash shop, but both is just a kick in the nuts to whatever loyal playerbase might still remain.

I am not trying to bash TSW. It's the opposite, FC has some real creative talent, they know how to design a game.

But somewhere in the process, they get greedy,  and it breaks down for them.

I was (still am) excited for this game, I was (still am) watching it and I want this game to be a success. But it's not without concerns and reservations as to how where and why FC is going to focus on it's revenue from it. Will they be satisfied with primarily Sub fees and some supplimental revenue from the CS? I personally doubt it.

I especially am concerned for what they say they will do. When they announced their Cash Shop in AO, they said they would primarily focus on cosmetic items. But how can they say they "focus" on that when it's the customers who decide what to focus on?

Oh, I understand completely and I was in total agreement.

Obviously, there are purely cosmetic items that have no relevance on gameplay. WoW is famous for them (though "most" players wouldn't call their cash shop a cash shop). They sell items that offer 0 advantage in game (pets, mounts). At least when I played, the mounts didn't even move any faster than other mounts and I think that's still the case. Of course, the passenger-rocket does have a slight impact on gameplay.. you can recruit a friend and assist them with going from questpoint to questpoint, if you really really wanted to.

To be honest, many gamers are on a tight budget, and that's one of the reasons gaming is so attractive--you can barely go eat a meal or watch a movie w/ snacks, including the gas/transit cost for $15~, There's this idea that casuals are what's are attracted to cash shops, but a lot of casuals are strapped for cash too and enjoy playing the game as an alternate to watching reruns of shows they barely like.

They have a set amount set aside and feel they should be entitled to equal amount of content and I agree (w/ equal effort put in). A guy who plays for 3 hours a week isn't "entitled" to fight HM Deathwing 25, though he's entitled to join a guild and try for it, if they'll accept him).

I am not trying to bash TSW. It's the opposite, FC has some real creative talent, they know how to design a game.

But somewhere in the process, they get greedy,  and it breaks down for them.

I especially am concerned for what they say they will do. When they announced their Cash Shop in AO, they said they would primarily focus on cosmetic items. But how can they say they "focus" on that when it's the customers who decide what to focus on?

Oh, I understand completely and I was in total agreement.

Obviously, there are purely cosmetic items that have no relevance on gameplay. WoW is famous for them (though "most" players wouldn't call their cash shop a cash shop). They sell items that offer 0 advantage in game (pets, mounts). At least when I played, the mounts didn't even move any faster than other mounts and I think that's still the case. Of course, the passenger-rocket does have a slight impact on gameplay.. you can recruit a friend and assist them with going from questpoint to questpoint, if you really really wanted to.

To be honest, many gamers are on a tight budget, and that's one of the reasons gaming is so attractive--you can barely go eat a meal or watch a movie w/ snacks, including the gas/transit cost for $15~, There's this idea that casuals are what's are attracted to cash shops, but a lot of casuals are strapped for cash too and enjoy playing the game as an alternate to watching reruns of shows they barely like.

They have a set amount set aside and feel they should be entitled to equal amount of content and I agree (w/ equal effort put in). A guy who plays for 3 hours a week isn't "entitled" to fight HM Deathwing 25, though he's entitled to join a guild and try for it, if they'll accept him).

I didn't mean to quote you...That sounded like I was defending myself from your statement and really, i was just eloborating from my previous...I took the quote out.

I've been pretty vocal about FC's revenue models and TSW doesn't appear to be taking any different directions. No successful game in MMO history has ever come out of the gate with a Box Fee, a Sub Fee and a Cash Shop all at once. Some of the players who are anticiating this game with high hopes have challenged me. But just becuase someone wants this game to be a success, doesn't have any bearing on weather the company developing it is spoon feeding lies, which it continuously does, or if  "no really this time for real, I mean it.Give me another chance." they are telling the truth.

I have enjoyed their game. They developed some awesome concepts that have never really been duplicated since. But then they ruin it.

FC just needs to get it's head out of it's @$$ and truly deliver a decent product for a fair price......Somethng called Value....Something FC has never delivered.

I have enjoyed their game. They developed some awesome concepts that have never really been duplicated since. But then they ruin it.

FC just needs to get it's head out of it's @$$ and truly deliver a decent product for a fair price......Somethng called Value....Something FC has never delivered.

Sad, ain't it? Poor management turns the other companies off of incorporating an idea.

One of these days, companies are going to start touting "From the corporate decision-maker behind [x]." because, no matter how much fun developers might design a game to be, corporate greed can always do too much damage. (It's okay, companies are about making money...but like you said...the product's value has to equal the produc'ts cost).. and yeah cash shop on top of sub...it just sucks.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Been following this game for years, I love the aspects of it the combat graphics and lore. Being a huge history buff, this game caters to people like myself cannot wait!!
  • TommiJyurroTommiJyurro Member Posts: 51

This game has potential.  Unfortunately, I don't see the overwhelming number of MMO-players playing this game, as it appears to lack the instant-gratification of the "ding."  Which is a plus in my book, since levelling up is becoming a lame feature in today's MMOs.  I've never played an FC game, so I will definitely give this one a try, at least until someone actually comes out with a DEUS EX: HR-based/cloned MMO.

Anything new here? Hmmm... Nope. o/