Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So ANET can't afford a forum? Why?

Comments

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332

Originally posted by InFaVilla

I can be very emotional, but a difference is that I realize what would be the ideal and attempt to change for the better. 

I'm just bored at work and find this whole thread silly. I don't have great insite in what would be ideal for all. I can only speak for myself and my experiences. My experience with GW1 is there was no need for a company controlled forum. The game didn't suffer for it. If I didn't like guru there were and are other forums and a wiki or two to hunt down information. Other games I've played have had user forums that provided better information then the company forum ever did so that they just linked to the sites. 

Pillar implys that no game can stand as an MMO without it. Unless you have a different definition of pillar.  From that, statement being made is that, GW2 or any MMO that does not have a company supported forum is not an MMO. A building minus one of it's pillars can not stand after all. I plan on playing the game with or without a forum whether it's an MMO or not it looks fun. 

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

Originally posted by Kalfer

The arrogance in this thread is staggering. There is no control, by having an official forum. Those individuals who are at official forums are no more or less biased or qualified than people on unofficial ones.

The only thing they add with an official forum, is spending lots of resources on POLICING. 

Let the community police itself. let it stay in the game. remove the politics. the small wannabe self-important trolling hate mongering group of people that speak on the behalf of all those that just want to play. ArenaNet plays the game itself, through the main GW1 website you could report bugs. youtube, tons of other sub forums.. all these elements will be just as effectively used to report bugs including an in-game bug report tool. 

people are projecting their butt hurt feelings onto Guru, but there is no reason why official forums would have any less restrictive behavior or bad calls. lots of people hate the mods on official forums across various games. 

stop being lazy, and build your own damn communities. official forums is wallmart. its when people are too lazy and unimaginative to make their own thing. they expect everything to be done for them. the community are those that will keep the game fresh. not some clueless mod combining wishlists from a select few whiners and trolls. 

finally, this game has no subscription fee. its not worth hiring staff 7 days a week, all year around to police, compile and so on. its also not in the spirit of guild wars. gailie gray was always discussing, announcing inside the game, and she visited many different fansites, not just guru. 

Yes there is a major difference. The mods of official forums are usually employed by the company. It is their job and not everyone is willing to risk their job specially during turbulent economic times like these. 

It is not only about qualification, it is about incentives and control mechanisms.

About the "resources": I doubt that they even need to spend more than the equivalent two full-time minimum wage employees on a monthly basis. Is that really that much for Arenanet? Integrity and responsability in many cases cost and that is not enough of excuse to avoid them.

That is just a flat out lie. Don't put integrity on a pedestal, like those "minimum wagte employees" hold the key. 

their incompetence and lack of know how will make lots of people angry, like all official mods do. 

removing responsibility, and just foscusing on the game is a much better way to go about it.

case closed.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

Originally posted by catplay

So all of you are against an official forums just because of the amount of QQ/flamewards on it? Well, guys, then if you consider that, i think you are one of the many who read QQ and post QQ. I personally search in official forums other things.

I would like to hear an official ARENANET position about redirecting customers to an 3th party site full of suspicious ads. How about that?

unfortunately, you don't represent everybody. While I do agree in spirit that an official forums should exist, but it should exist mainly for support like in guild wars 1. Looking at aion, swtor, WoW forums it is apparent that most (not all) of the post are either from trolls or over zealous fans. Because unlike other genre, MMO seem to invoke a lot of hatred among people and the offical forums are the outlet of those type of players.

Reading swtor a few weeks after launch, you got people saying 100 things bad about swtor and the next few post will be like, "nobody cares about you troll", or" go back to WoW", "then you go someone saying I am enjoying the game", with the next 2 responses being "if you are enjoying the game, why aren't playing the game instead of browsing the forums". funny stuff but thats why official forums for MMO should not exist.

There has been some rumors going on that the gw2 site is about to be updated with armory information and such, so they might be an official forum yet.

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332

Originally posted by Muntz

(quote)

A "tremendous amout of power" we are talking about a forum here right? There is more then one un-official forum. There is choice. Good ones will be used, bad ones wont - if you like capitalism but I think that is as big a stretch as your analogy. 

So, what are you saying is that you don't find any value in creating control mechanisms that significantely reduce the amount of "shit" that can possibily happen?  That's the chain of thoughts that sooner or later creates disasters. It may never happen in the GW2 case, but keep doing it that with many games and eventually one happens.

Control mechanisms matter a lot. 

Some simple examples:

1. Never let the person being accused of doing something wrong, to be one of the persons who judges whether or not he will be punished himself.

2. Minimize (if possible to zero) the amount of people in a staff that can access passwords of the users.

In both examples, those are advice that do not necessarily need to be followed and you would likely be able to do just fine without them. However, you are significantely decreasing the risk of "bad things" happening by implementing them. That's called being responsible and preemptive. 

Thats not what I'm saying at all. Context is key, in the context of a video game forum from your statement we agree it's not going to happen in a GW2 forum. 

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

So all of you are against an official forums just because of the amount of QQ/flamewards on it? Well, guys, then if you consider that, i think you are one of the many who read QQ and post QQ. I personally search in official forums other things.

I would like to hear an official ARENANET position about redirecting customers to an 3th party site full of suspicious ads. How about that?

their philosophy has always been that people should be able to get all their info from within the game without having to check websites for whatever.

they already have a website, a facebook page, an ncsoft reporting/customer service/faq(for GW1) page, a twitter page, a youtube page, an official blog. they already have several community managers affiliated in different languages. There is no need to redirect anyone.

And only old ladies click on "suspicious ads". 

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I'm sending them an e-mail to answer that question just for you... 

Reply will probably be here tomorrow...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Except, of course, an official forum is just as vulnerable to that as any fansite forum. Blizzard's forums ended up hosting an add for a gold-buying site. It isn't THEIR choice buddy to host the ads, its the ad company running the service for them. And when such mallicious ads pop up, instead of waiting a while just to go "oh yea well what about when this happened?", you can actually make them aware of said mallicious ad by letting them know.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Do not discuss politics. Thanks.

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Originally posted by Unlight

Still bothers you that a 'AAA' game isn't screwing over its fans with a sub, eh?  Poor little fella.  The world is moving on and leaving you behind.

/waves

This remains to be seen. There are still millions of lazy gamers out there who don't realize that they aren't ready to let go of the only combat system they have known since 2004 .

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

(quote)

A "tremendous amout of power" we are talking about a forum here right? There is more then one un-official forum. There is choice. Good ones will be used, bad ones wont - if you like capitalism but I think that is as big a stretch as your analogy. 

So, what are you saying is that you don't find any value in creating control mechanisms that significantely reduce the amount of "shit" that can possibily happen?  That's the chain of thoughts that sooner or later creates disasters. It may never happen in the GW2 case, but keep doing it that with many games and eventually one happens.

Control mechanisms matter a lot. 

Some simple examples:

1. Never let the person being accused of doing something wrong, to be one of the persons who judges whether or not he will be punished himself.

2. Minimize (if possible to zero) the amount of people in a staff that can access passwords of the users.

In both examples, those are advice that do not necessarily need to be followed and you would likely be able to do just fine without them. However, you are significantely decreasing the risk of "bad things" happening by implementing them. That's called being responsible and preemptive. 

Thats not what I'm saying at all. Context is key, in the context of a video game forum from your statement we agree it's not going to happen in a GW2 forum. 

I don't know how likely it is to happen in a GW2 forum. I know shit has happened in the ONRPG forum some years ago due to poorly planned control systems. I don't visit that site regularily anymore (if ever), so I don't know how things are now. I don't remember if they were the ones that broke against "1.".  However, I do remember that back then some mods allowed certain breaking against the rules simply because they liked a specific subculture.

This site seem to be doing pretty okay. The mods seem to  try to keep a distance to the users, which is a good way to try to be impartial when it comes to judgement. 

When I tried to appeal a decision in this forum , I received a non-generic reply rather quickly through mail. I could just have been lucky, of course.  I can't comment any further on their control systems since I really don't know them. Just had a rather good impression so far.

Needless to say, I value integrity, responsability and good systems no matter which context. It is important at work, important for different issues that may occur between neighbours, it is important in communities in general, even online ones (such as forums, guilds ).

• No official forums has been Anet's stance for years.  This isn't new.

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

people are projecting their butt hurt feelings onto Guru, but there is no reason why official forums would have any less restrictive behavior or bad calls. lots of people hate the mods on official forums across various games. 

On GW guru, you are censored for feedback (Which is percieved by the mods as heinous opinions). This doesn't happen on official forums unless you spout the game is dying or bad and even then, you would just get your thread locked. Not your complete post secretly deleted so the devs or anyone else can't see it. I've never posted feedback on a official forum, only to have it deleted. On guru, anything that wasn't a compliment post about Guild Wars was deleted.

Everyone tweet @guildwars2 about guru censorship. Enough of it and they should do something about it.

I mailed them about the Guru incident where they switched ad providers or something and they said they would talk to guru. The other mail about guru censorship got ignored.

Originally posted by Betakodo

On GW guru, you are censored for feedback (Which is percieved by the mods as heinous opinions). This doesn't happen on official forums unless you spout the game is dying or bad and even then, you would just get your thread locked. Not your complete post secretly deleted so the devs or anyone else can't see it.

Everyone tweet @guildwars2 about guru censorship. Enough of it and they should do something about it.

I mailed them about the Guru incident where they switched ad providers or something and they said they would talk to guru. The other mail about guru censorship got ignored.

Yeah, if that is true, that is pretty bad. Locking threads or moving them to a "trashbin" section of the forum are better solutions.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

They should have limited official forums.

No General Forum. No Off Topic Forum.

Server Forums. Tech Forums. Profession Forums. Tradeskill Forums.

Other specific categories, as needed.

When Official Forums eliminate general and broad topic forums, forum rage get's diffused and the community itself usually discourages off topic rants.

I expect this game to sell over 2.5 million copies with in the first six months. GW2Guru can not handle being the surrogate unofficial-official forums for that many people. Server Forums are going to be very important in this game. No fan site can be expected to provide and moderate over 100 server specific forums.

I think NCSoft is making a serious mistake if they don't fund and staff the support structure needed to run official forums. Arenanet would be making a mistake if they are discouraging NCSoft from providing such funding and support. This could be one of the biggest MMOs since WoW, I hope they don't limit their success by failing to have the proper foresight to support the game and it's community fully and properly.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by fiontar

They should have limited official forums.

No General Forum. No Off Topic Forum.

Server Forums. Tech Forums. Profession Forums. Tradeskill Forums.

Other specific categories, as needed.

When Official Forums eliminate general and broad topic forums, forum rage get's diffused and the community itself usually discourages off topic rants.

I expect this game to sell over 2.5 million copies with in the first six months. GW2Guru can not handle being the surrogate unofficial-official forums for that many people. Server Forums are going to be very important in this game. No fan site can be expected to provide and moderate over 100 server specific forums.

I think NCSoft is making a serious mistake if they don't fund and staff the support structure needed to run official forums. Arenanet would be making a mistake if they are discouraging NCSoft from providing such funding and support. This could be one of the biggest MMOs since WoW, I hope they don't limit their success by failing to have the proper foresight to support the game and it's community fully and properly.

You present a good idea to solve much of the excessive behaviour that people fear in official forums.

• NMStudioNMStudio Member Posts: 376

They have very good reasons for not having forums:  This requires people wanting to talk about the game to do so on other gaming sites, thus drawing more attention to the game and building up hype.

Originally posted by NMStudio

They have very good reasons for not having forums:  This requires people wanting to talk about the game to do so on other gaming sites, thus drawing more attention to the game and building up hype.

Which is fine before the game releases. However, when it is released I would prefer to see an official forum. Specially a limited forum like the poster above suggested.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Whats the big fuzz about having a forum? They will have a customer support forum like they opened it for gw1, but no general discussion forum just so people can spam (just look at the League of Legends forum, its a mess). You got community forums like Gw2guru to discuss anything.

• NMStudioNMStudio Member Posts: 376

Which is fine before the game releases. However, when it is released I would prefer to see an official forum. Specially a limited forum like the poster above suggested.

I'm guessing that there will be a beta forum, as well as a customer support forum on release.  I could also see them leaving out the customer support forum and building a large knowledge base/ FAQ type thing, in order to avoid the public ranting and the doomsday cults that are bound to rise up.

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

I'm guessing that there will be a beta forum, as well as a customer support forum on release.  I could also see them leaving out the customer support forum and building a large knowledge base/ FAQ type thing, in order to avoid the public ranting and the doomsday cults that are bound to rise up.

I'm not sure that they will you know. It's pointless for them, guild wars 2 guru is already as good, if not more so, than any community forum they could host. It also happens to have one of the most well managed tech support forums around (not that i'm biased at all <.< >.>).

Considering GW2Guru also happens to be where the developers directly interact with forums users already it seems like a lot of hassle, setting up the forums, for something which is already established.

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

I can recap this thread without reading it

Minor pros to official forums.

Minor cons to official forums.

Cancel each other out more or less.

No one really cares.

Everyone pretends they care because they are bored because now the GW2 exists everything else in life seems boring in comparison so might as well talk about it.

Originally posted by Sythion

I can recap this thread without reading it

Minor pros to official forums.

Minor cons to official forums.

Cancel each other out more or less.

No one really cares.

Everyone pretends they care because they are bored because now the GW2 exists everything else in life seems boring in comparison so might as well talk about it.

You earned yourself a cookie for your startling insights into the predictability of forum threads :D

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Does anyone else find the irony in this thread amusing?

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by ComfyChair

I'm not sure that they will you know. It's pointless for them, guild wars 2 guru is already as good, if not more so, than any community forum they could host. It also happens to have one of the most well managed tech support forums around (not that i'm biased at all <.< >.>).

Considering GW2Guru also happens to be where the developers directly interact with forums users already it seems like a lot of hassle, setting up the forums, for something which is already established.

you could argue gw2guru is the official forums, as some have pointed out.

which might explain its over-policed big brotheresque whiff of suckholery.

i feel sick to my stomach every time i've visited.

Originally posted by headphones

Originally posted by ComfyChair

you could argue gw2guru is the official forums, as some have pointed out.

which might explain its over-policed big brotheresque whiff of suckholery.

i feel sick to my stomach every time i've visited.

As a long time member on those forums, you start to see a pattern of which threads fall into the sarlaac of thread deletion.

They're all either: clones of other threads, against the forum rules, or blatant trolling.

They don't delete threads merely for criticism, as much as people would like the believe it when their clone/offensive/troll thread is rightfully splatted. If they did, why do you hear about the 'gw2guru fans overreacting'?

I find it quite nice to not have threads like 'gw2 will suck balls trolololol' existing because the mods don't want to feel too 'big brothery'. I'd delete them.

This discussion has been closed.