Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am shocked

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Shocked? not at all...

All Ncsoft/anet are doing is following the standards set by the industry over the last year or two. I pretty much expected this is what the price of the CE would be if they had one. Remember folks it's the extras you're paying for not the game, the game is the standard industry cost today as well.

Considering the price of games haven't really changed much since the 90's it was only a matter of time before they threw an extra 10 bucks on that price tag. SO no I really don't see a problem here at all.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by Distopia

Considering the price of games haven't really changed much since the 90's it was only a matter of time before they threw an extra 10 bucks on that price tag. SO no I really don't see a problem here at all.

Yeah I find this an interesting point. People are complaining about the price jump in games now? While I don't want to pay more money I'm surprised the price of games hasn't gone up more than it has. Look at other industries, the movies for example, It has gone from $5 ($3 in the 80s) per ticket to $10 or more (depending on where you live).

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by Creslin321

I admit, I was one of the people saying $150 was insane with SWTOR.  But that's mainly because it's the first time I saw a $150 CE...it was just the shock of it.  I was used to CE's being like $80, so $150 IS a pretty big difference.

But then I realized, hey, if people want to spend that money, and they enjoy it...then who am I to stop them?

Same here. I still think it is nuts but all the more power to them. Seems to be the new standard these CEs are going to be sold for. Besides, even if it was significantly lower chances are I wouldn't buy that version anyways.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

I admit, I was one of the people saying $150 was insane with SWTOR.  But that's mainly because it's the first time I saw a $150 CE...it was just the shock of it.  I was used to CE's being like $80, so $150 IS a pretty big difference.

But then I realized, hey, if people want to spend that money, and they enjoy it...then who am I to stop them?

Same here. I still think it is nuts but all the more power to them. Seems to be the new standard these CEs are going to be sold for. Besides, even if it was significantly lower chances are I wouldn't buy that version anyways.

Yep...

The only reason I could see for legitimately being pissed about the $150 price is if you're the kind of person that normally buys CE's for $80-$90, and now you have been effectively "price out" of the CE.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Originally posted by Falcomith

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Been wondering all day, am i the only one shocked about the $150 they are asking for their collectors edition?

And i am even more shocked that there are people willing to pay that for stuff that ends in the trashbin sooner or later.

I think its a good example of a company trying to rip off their loyal fanbase. Following in the footsteps of EA's pricing scheme for the SWTOR boxes is not a good thing.

If they continue down this road, with their itemshop we might be in for a sad and shattered dream.

You do realize those statues retail for $75 to $90.

This... but I would never buy one myself. I do find the DDE does not have much worth for me as well. Nothing I would look at 2-5 years later and say I am glad I paid 20 bucks more to get this. With no mounts ANet will have to come up with something more lasting that will get me to pay 20 bucks more. I can say ANet has not tempted me in any way.

Actually...

I think that the only reason the statues retail for so much is BECAUSE the CE is so highly priced.  I don't think the statues are made with any complicated labor process or of any valuable materials that makes the actual cost to produce them the driving factor of the price.

They are expensive, because the CE costs a lot...that's all.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Yep...

The only reason I could see for legitimately being pissed about the $150 price is if you're the kind of person that normally buys CE's for $80-$90, and now you have been effectively "price out" of the CE.

Only way I would get ticked is if the CE and DDE owners got an advantage on beta and start time. They dont so I dont see the big deal. I will say again that if they added moe value to the DDE I would pay 20 bucks more but I dont see anything in there 2-5 years later I would say look what I got I am glad I bought the DDE. Saving 5-20k on every new char with a free mount worked for me on past games but what could ANet give us to make 20 bucks more worth spending?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Sadly those $50 statues are way overpriced themselves...

People buying such things obviously have no idea how much $150 is for a fammily man these days, i think its one of the biggest problems in this society, Money seems to have lost its true vallue.

My fammily has to live from $150 a week, (most of my money goes to bills, rent and savings for emergencies and vacations, 2 kids going to college) as long as my wife doesn't get a new job.  Spending $150 on a game sounds like people still haven't been touched by the crisis enough and that it will get even worse. Personally i have a very healthy financial situation, and i can survive almost anything on my sallary, but i am sure many of you close their eyes every evening and say a prayer that this crisis may pass over as soon as possible. Well it won't untill everyone realises the vallue of money again.

Yeah I have to agree with another, the value of money is very subjective.

And part of it comes with what you find important. For instance, I would never want a family so by that very decision I will never have to spend money on college or raising kids. I do value other things and gladly spend money them.

Would I spend $150.00 on a collector's edition? No. but I just purchased two pewter beer steins for friends at $60.00 per stein without even thinking about it.

That's just $30.00 shy of that $150.00 but well worth it.

However, I do aplaud that fact that you choose to invest in a family as that, from what I understand, can be very rewarding for those who are family oriented. And of course is a better way to use yoru money. Imagnie if you were a family man with a budget and not putting money away for their education but instead were spending $150.00 for collector's edition game boxes?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Originally posted by Sovrath

People buying such things obviously have no idea how much $150 is for a fammily man these days, i think its one of the biggest problems in this society, Money seems to have lost its true vallue.

My fammily has to live from $150 a week, (most of my money goes to bills, rent and savings for emergencies and vacations, 2 kids going to college) as long as my wife doesn't get a new job.  Spending $150 on a game sounds like people still haven't been touched by the crisis enough and that it will get even worse. Personally i have a very healthy financial situation, and i can survive almost anything on my sallary, but i am sure many of you close their eyes every evening and say a prayer that this crisis may pass over as soon as possible. Well it won't untill everyone realises the vallue of money again.

And part of it comes with what you find important. For instance, I would never want a family so by that very decision I will never have to spend money on college or raising kids. I do value other things and gladly spend money them.

Would I spend $150.00 on a collector's edition? No. but I just purchased two pewter beer steins for friends at $60.00 per stein without even thinking about it.

However, I do aplaud that fact that you choose to invest in a family as that, from what I understand, can be very rewarding for those who are family oriented. And of course is a better way to use yoru money. Imagnie if you were a family man with a budget and not putting money away for their education but instead were spending $150.00 for collector's edition game boxes?

I think his point is that fans would like to see a CE done in the older style for say 90 bucks that gave just a few trinkets like art book, a plushy instead of an over pirced statue. Cal it the family man CE =-) One that wont kill the education fund. =-)

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

You don't have to buy the CE. It is just that simple.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Originally posted by Sovrath

I think his point is that fans would like to see a CE done in the older style for say 90 bucks that gave just a few trinkets like art book, a plushy instead of an over pirced statue. Cal it the family man CE =-) One that wont kill the education fund. =-)

I suppose. though I usually like the statues if they are done well. ; )

The things that I would find interesting in a CE would be a "making of" video, some sort of ingame items that were cosmetic, music cd and a well made statue.

Still, I'd rather buy pewter steins over paying for a CE. As a matter of fact the only CE i ever bought (and gladly) was the one for Aion.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • EatMyVeggiesEatMyVeggies Member Posts: 5

As many posted above, the CE is just an option. You are not, in any way, forced to buy it. A lot of publishers have embraced this fashion and, tbh, why blame them. The CE is there for a reason - people buy it... If the marketing department of Arenanet had came to the conclusion that players are not willing to spend money on it, they wouldn't have made it an option.

Regarding the price, I for one think it is not overpriced ( *cough* SWTOR CE - $159.99 AND monthly fee *cough* for a game that barely resembles a MMORPG - hardly a multiplayer-RPG actually). (sorry for the analogy, but I couldn't resist)

Again, people, you are not forced to buy it, it is not expensive, some people enjoy Collector's Editions. Why is it shocking again?

off: standard 60 bucks edition for me. Don't really care about anything but the actual game. 

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Originally posted by Distopia

Yeah I find this an interesting point. People are complaining about the price jump in games now? While I don't want to pay more money I'm surprised the price of games hasn't gone up more than it has. Look at other industries, the movies for example, It has gone from $5 ($3 in the 80s) per ticket to $10 or more (depending on where you live).

Here In Baltimore, MD it's almost 20 to see a movie. Hasn't been 10 for years haha. But yep, inflation has hit most industries hard, I'm content with the way the games industry has handled it thus far, even considering games cost more to make today as well as hardware like consoles, yet prices have remained roughly the same for years, hell Dk for super nintendo was like 60 bucks or more (I can't remember exactly) and how long ago was that?

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by EatMyVeggies

As many posted above, the CE is just an option. You are not, in any way, forced to buy it. A lot of publishers have embraced this fashion and, tbh, why blame them. The CE is there for a reason - people buy it...

This exactly is the problem, by buying these hughely overpriced things, companies will continue to sell that kind of trash (less then $10 to produce all those things) at a huge margin to make an unreasonable profit..

these kind of Ce editions with the same kind of stuff inside used to be $80 to $100 only 2 years ago... and less then $80 a few years ago.  As long as people keep buying it, these comapnies keep thinking its okay to do so... If noboddy would order the CE then the next CE would be at a normall price again.

Its a matter of simple economics, if people gladly play way to much, they get cheeted out of their hard earned money without even noticing they are being cheeted,

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

This exactly is the problem, by buying these hughely overpriced things, companies will continue to sell that kind of trash (less then $10 to produce all those things) at a huge margin to make an unreasonable profit..

these kind of Ce editions with the same kind of stuff inside used to be $80 to $100 only 2 years ago... and less then $80 a few years ago.  As long as people keep buying it, these comapnies keep thinking its okay to do so... If noboddy would order the CE then the next CE would be at a normall price again.

Its a matter of simple economics, if people gladly play way to much, they get cheeted out of their hard earned money without even noticing they are being cheeted,

There are a couple key points you seem to be missing. First you're only "cheated" if you're not getting what you desire, second companies trying to recoupe off increased expense without raising prices across the board. That's why we see so much fluff in this industry today, we should be glad people are willing to pay for it, otherwise we all would be due to those increased prices.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Gotterdammer

How is offering something as an option ripping anyone off? If it were the ONLY version, then yes, I'd agree. It's not though, so I think you're just trying to find controversy where none exists.

This ^^^^^.   Extreme knee jerk reactions to anything and everything Anet does are to be expected, however.  It's all part of the pre-release fan hype and panic.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

Yep...

Yeah, I would agree with your argument there. I myself, in my younger days, would have been willing to pay 80-90 dollars for a CE containing art book and music for some special single player games. I wouldn't have liked a figurine at all and specially not at the price of 60 more dollars.

Maybe arenanet should have done two types of "physical" Collector Editions. One with and one without figurine. 

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by Kingkhann

Originally posted by grimm6th

Originally posted by Kelthius

Poster 1

SWTOR: $150 is insane for a game!

GW2: It's a bit pricey for my taste.

Poster 2

SWTOR: Overpriced money grabbing!

GW2: The standard for CEs.

Really people? Why the sudden change of heart?

Because GW2 has no sub, and has a reasonable cash shop model that is NOT P2W in any way

Define reasonable? hard to say how reasonable it is when game is not even out yet. Moreover, i am sure there are others like me who take into consideration the over all value of package before making purchase regardless of whether there is monthly sub attached to it or not. So i agree with him...smells hypocricy to me. (even though i never bought SWTOR CE)

Reasonable meaning you never have to use it to feel like you are relevant in either PvE or PvP.  Im not a big cash shop user anyways, and GW1 only ever had cosmetics and account features (character renames and redesigns and all that)...I really don't have any problem with a collectors edition costing so much anyways (SWTOR or GW2), and I am not going to think of people who do get it as idiots overpaying for what they get.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

As many posted above, the CE is just an option. You are not, in any way, forced to buy it. A lot of publishers have embraced this fashion and, tbh, why blame them. The CE is there for a reason - people buy it...

Why not let the customers decide on their own what they are or aren't willing to pay for? If these sell out, then it was a good call. If they don't sell out, then I'm sure NCSoft will scale back CEs in the future.

I'm not going to buy one, I'm not even positive I will get the Digital CE vs. the Standard edition. I can wonder if the underwhelming DCE isn't going to cost them potential revenue, I can even lament that they didn't give me something to justify me giving them more of my money, for a game I'm really looking forward to. However, I have a feeling the Physical CEs will sell out and sell out quickly, so who am I to judge people who buy them or NCSoft for catering to those customers willing to shell out that money for the items being offered?

At least all the digital items are the same between the digital and physical CE. A lot of people who could care less about the physical collector's items used to still by CEs for the digital goodies. Now the Physical CEs can actually be targeted at collectors and offer items that they may find worth collecting.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

I have to admit - I'm a GW2 fanboy from the word "go."

However, I'm disappointed in the CE not by the amount of things (there are quiet a few real and virtual items in the box), but as to their permanency. Only two of the in game items (the mini-Rylock and the ability) are permanent. The other items are on a limited timer. I loved what GW1 offered with the "glowing hands." This was a subtle tell to other players that you've pitched into the game head-first.

Why they couldn't repeat the "glowing hands" bonus is beyond me. I'm just looking for something that says "Hey, this player really invested in this game."

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by Kakkzooka

I have to admit - I'm a GW2 fanboy from the word "go."

However, I'm disappointed in the CE not by the amount of things (there are quiet a few real and virtual items in the box), but as to their permanency. Only two of the in game items (the mini-Rylock and the ability) are permanent. The other items are on a limited timer. I loved what GW1 offered with the "glowing hands." This was a subtle tell to other players that you've pitched into the game head-first.

Why they couldn't repeat the "glowing hands" bonus is beyond me. I'm just looking for something that says "Hey, this player really invested in this game."

i find it kind of ridiculous that you want to stand in the center of town and have other players worship you for the amount of money you have spent.   maybe they will throw in a "E-Peen" title for you.

I've got the straight edge.

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805

Well since I make a lot of money, I'll be buying the Collectors Edition.  I'm kidding.  I don't make a lot of money, but $150 bucks isn't a lot.  So I'm not really worried about it.  Not to mention, I want that damn statue.  I'd pay $80-100 for that alone.

I like to complain about games.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by fiontar

Why not let the customers decide on their own what they are or aren't willing to pay for? If these sell out, then it was a good call. If they don't sell out, then I'm sure NCSoft will scale back CEs in the future.

I'm not going to buy one, I'm not even positive I will get the Digital CE vs. the Standard edition. I can wonder if the underwhelming DCE isn't going to cost them potential revenue, I can even lament that they didn't give me something to justify me giving them more of my money, for a game I'm really looking forward to. However, I have a feeling the Physical CEs will sell out and sell out quickly, so who am I to judge people who buy them or NCSoft for catering to those customers willing to shell out that money for the items being offered?

At least all the digital items are the same between the digital and physical CE. A lot of people who could care less about the physical collector's items used to still by CEs for the digital goodies. Now the Physical CEs can actually be targeted at collectors and offer items that they may find worth collecting.

To me it feels to much like abusing the people, its almost like selling drugs to people that are addicted.

-First you get them addicted, and from that moment on you can sell them about anything.

(Sounds a bit harsh, but many MMO fans sometimes react like addicts)

Well anyway, its a feeling i get from proces like this for a Collectors edition. It just doesn't fit the picture i got from Arenanet, and that is maybe my biggest gripe with it all. Personally i am just gonna buy me the standard edition and will get as much fun from it as i would from any other version of the game. But it just makes me feel sad when i think about all those people throwing away another 100 bucks at some junk (personal opinion)  because they got hyped by a game. This is the last thing i got to say about this, i will let it rest.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Since when have collectors not spent tons of extra money on "junk"?  I don't see the big issue with ANet advertising to a special crowd that asks for a special product, they know the price of admission.  If you're that bothered by it, you'd better build a time machine and go back to when people started releasing collectibles and give them what-for.

You even admit you are shocked that people will pay this much for something.  Well, first you need to understand people, then you won't be so shocked.  

Hint: we're all different.

• EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286

Figurines Are Expensive.

There's a massive difference between a $15 machine assembled action figure and an $80-200+ hand assembled hand painted figure.   

The build quality on the CE Charr looks pretty good, so it's definitely worth around $40-50 if you were to buy it from any shop.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

I know some people are ignorant but jesus. You guys do know that the thing about collector editions stuff is that their value grow over time? The people that bought this CE will be able to sell their god dam figure for more than the actual CE in a year or so if they choose to do so. But in the first place figurine collectors dont care about money, proof being the high prices someone is prepared to bid for a rare figure on the internet. You just gota look at it as an investment.