Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Collector's Edition Revealed

Comments

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Originally posted by evilastro

Originally posted by ProfRed

WTF are they doing rolling a skill into this.  Why are they giving items and probably putting items into the cash shop that reward you with something that you should naturally get from PvP'ing.  I am more than a little concerned....

I dont think its a problem as long as the skill isnt overpowered compared to other elite skills. To me it just looks like a flavour skill, and will probably only give you an advantage at low levels until other players unlock their elite skills.

I dont really think the digital collectors is worth the extra 20 dollars, I mean, its three temp items (5 day golem bank, a one time boost in pvp points and a one time boost in guild points), a miniature and the skill. The skill is the only thing even worth worrying about, and I doubt it will be more powerful than what you already have access to. I mean, humans already get a similar summon for their racial elite.

That said, the art, figure and book for the Collectors Edition look amazing. Very very tempted to get a collectors edition!

Yeah I agree.  I hope you are right and have the same feeling about the skill.  The CE items are pretty cool.  I don't have any beef with the CE or pricing.  Cool stuff for a big fan.  Digital deluxe doesn't seem worth it at all to me, but that skill scares me is all.  I'll just get the digital game and see girly men 3 days early on the battlefield.

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Originally posted by Methos12

Originally posted by Kaocan

Originally posted by Loke666

Anyone have the price on the DE and DD versions yet? I sure as hell hope I'm not going to be paying $49 for a digital copy when I used to spend that for a box with a CD.

$60 and $80.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/13/guild-wars-2-pre-purchase-details-announced/

They are serious?? I'm gonna get soaked a minimum of $60 just to have the right to download the game off the net? They are charging more for the digital than anyone else has in history with no publishing backend expenses. Sorry, $60 and $80 is just a plain rip-off for a digital download. And the extra $20 for the DD, and I get a couple 'less-than' 5 day cash shop style trinkets that will be gone in the first week of play? Seriously?!?!?!

I'm sorry, I have enough pocket cash to drop for 5 CE right now if I thought it was worth the money, but I am just not seeing anything but greed on thier end for these 3 versions. I can't believe I'm the only one who sees this.

Are you new to the whole "digital games" thing or something? Although yes, DE is too expensive. Extra $20 for items with one-shot or limited use? Excessive.

No, not new to digital games at all, I have close to 75 of them on my machine at home right now. I have bought some games, with 8-10 add-ons that ran me less than the DE for this game. I have no problem with digital downloaded games, I pref them actually. What I do not prefer is a company asking for 25-35% more on thier price for a digital download than other charge for new release box set. There is no reason at all a digital download should EVER cost more than a physical box does, they simply have no backend publishing expenses comparetively. Now a $39 and $49 digital set maybe, this has been the going rate on most games in the past year, $59 and $79 is just greedy. You dont see digital versions of books costing more than the print version do you? Digital Music costing more than the CD versions?? So why now do we have an MMO that costs more ont he digital than a box set does?

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I plan on buying one for a future ebay auction...cha ching! I won't be playing it, but I am always up for a nice profit.

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by cinos

If this game had a sub fee I would agree that the prices were too much.

However considering there is no sub and you are getting more content than any b2p game ever released. I think the price is fair.

Almost all of hte newer AAA games come with this price tag. Do some research on online games and you will see it is a new industry standard. Monthly sub or no montyl sub is hardly a factor here.

• SpezzSpezz Member Posts: 141

To clarify:

Pre-purchase: 3 day headstart

Pre-order: 1 day headstart,

• xausxaus Member Posts: 34

38quid for a digital download copy of the game that has a cash shop, hmm....

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

$60 and $80.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/13/guild-wars-2-pre-purchase-details-announced/

They are serious?? I'm gonna get soaked a minimum of $60 just to have the right to download the game off the net? They are charging more for the digital than anyone else has in history with no publishing backend expenses. Sorry, $60 and $80 is just a plain rip-off for a digital download. And the extra $20 for the DD, and I get a couple 'less-than' 5 day cash shop style trinkets that will be gone in the first week of play? Seriously?!?!?!

I'm sorry, I have enough pocket cash to drop for 5 CE right now if I thought it was worth the money, but I am just not seeing anything but greed on thier end for these 3 versions. I can't believe I'm the only one who sees this.

You get aceess to a huge MMO for $60 bucks and no monthly fees and think it is expensive?

Try starting to play Wow now with all the boxes you need to buy and tuop monthly fees on that.

$60 is a bargain. $150 on the other hand is a little pricey for my taste.

• clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213

Its pay2win officially, you can buy a combat pet with more $$, cant wait to see what other epic gears are inside the cash shop.

Originally posted by xaus

38quid for a digital download  that comes with a cash shop, hmm....

Almost all P2P games including Wow have a cash shop...

Originally posted by clankyasp

Its pay2win officially, you can buy a combat pet with more $$, cant wait to see what other epic gears are inside the cash shop.

It isn't pay2win.  You can't get a combat pet you get an elite skill that fits on a bar that will likely be useless once you unlock class specific elite skills.

This is the least worrisome thing to target.  The thing that worries me more is the glory giving item and how these items all seem to translate to cash shop.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Originally posted by xeniar

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Insane price for the physical version. 149,99€'s = ~200$.

Considering the Deluxe is 79,99€, you basically pay 70€'s for miniature/art book/soundtrack.

For comparison, Diablo 3 physical collector is 79,99€ and it includes everything in GW2 collector and more. I would probably pay 120€'s for the physical (including shipping) since the miniature is awesome. However 150€'s is way too much.

why are you flipping euro signs evrywherE? its dollars acording to the guild wars2 webpage.

aka should be cheaper for us in euro,s altho we will probaply get shafted

Depending where you connect (IP address) the prices will change. Collector is 129,99£ / 149,99€.

So I presume every other price will convert straight aswell. 59,99€ / 79,99€ / 149,99€

Only if it is unbalanced. It takes the elite skill slot for you so the question is if it is better than other elite  skills or not. I am not so sure it is.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Only if it is unbalanced. It takes the elite skill slot for you so the question is if it is better than other elite  skills or not. I am not so sure it is.

Yeah likely it will be a big help in the early game since it can take some time to get your first elite skill.  You can only equip 1.  Each class has a number of them and they are what you build your loadout around for the most part.  It is doubtful once you start getting class specific ones you would ever use this, but early in the game it could help.

Really not worried about this one skill.  I am a bit worried that they are packaging a skill like this.  IMO all skills should be in game and open to all and have nothing to do with any preorder/bonus/cash shop/etc.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Originally posted by Methos12

Are you new to the whole "digital games" thing or something? Although yes, DE is too expensive. Extra $20 for items with one-shot or limited use? Excessive.

No, not new to digital games at all, I have close to 75 of them on my machine at home right now. I have bought some games, with 8-10 add-ons that ran me less than the DE for this game. I have no problem with digital downloaded games, I pref them actually. What I do not prefer is a company asking for 25-35% more on thier price for a digital download than other charge for new release box set. There is no reason at all a digital download should EVER cost more than a physical box does, they simply have no backend publishing expenses comparetively. Now a $39 and $49 digital set maybe, this has been the going rate on most games in the past year, $59 and $79 is just greedy. You dont see digital versions of books costing more than the print version do you? Digital Music costing more than the CD versions?? So why now do we have an MMO that costs more ont he digital than a box set does?

There is apparently a good reason  why this is the way it is - retailers refusing to stock a particular game if digital copies are considerably cheaper. I imagine retail version of GW2 is going to cost $60 as well, if that's your worry about digital being more expensive.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Depending where you connect (IP address) the prices will change. Collector is 129,99£ / 149,99€.

So I presume every other price will convert straight aswell. 59,99€ / 79,99€ / 149,99€

Holy crap, why do Europeans always get shafted, those prices are bordering on ridiculous, didn't this same thing happen with SW:TOR?

That's $200 for the CE and $90 for a standard edition for those in jolly old England.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

any word on if physical editions will be available on the same date? I'd much rather preorder a box than digital.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

[mod edit]

You know, that pet probably won't do that much dmg later on, don't jump to conclusions before we actually see it... AND it takes your elite skill slot...but this doesn't make a game P2W, what makes a game P2W is cash shop with armor which is better than the ingame one or even the same...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Anyone have the price on the DE and DD versions yet? I sure as hell hope I'm not going to be paying $49 for a digital copy when I used to spend that for a box with a CD.

$60 and $80.

This thread amuses me. $60 has become pretty standard nowadays for most games both MMOs and console games, sometimes as much as $70. As for the the rest.... you say you dont feel its worth the extra $ for the special versions, so why exactly are you and so many others freaking out? Youve made it quite clear that you understand you dont HAVE to buy those versions and you can just get the normal version without all that extra stuff you dont find appealing. So why does it even matter what the cost of those things is? How exactly did you come to the conclusion that offering 3 different versions of the same product at different costs and with different optional benefits, and allowing you to decided wether you want to spend extra money or not is worth it to you is greedy?

Oh yeah and then theres the whole NO SUBSCRIPTION thing. Man that just screams greed right there. Allowing people to play forever for free. How dare they. They should be benevolent and charge us $15 per month like everyone else.

Yeah nevermind, I guess I will give up on this crowd here and go with the guy at the start of the thread who said 'sheep'. No matter what they price thier product at, no matter how gimicky the package content, most of you will pay it blindly because its GW2 and you have been wanting it for at least a year now. They should have doubled the price, I'm sure they could have gotten more than half of you to jump on it even at $300. 

Continue on with your praise of your chosen game, I will be buying this game, but not on a preorder with these prices. You remember this though, all those previous games everyone bitched about the company soaking for initial box sales. You are getting exactly that right here, only you're being charged more up front with less on the back end. Unless you count being soaked for the next boxes initial sales as your back end. (And yes I did play GW1, and I have all the expansions on it, and no you didnt' get updates in the middle, you paid for them every expansion box when you bought it.) There wont be any new dungeons, zones, weapons and armor added in patch 1.2 for GW2, those will be included in that next box (sorry, digital download) you have to pay another $49 for in 6 months.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

$60 and $80.

Its the same price as SWTOR was at release for all three options, and it doesnt have a monthly subscription. SWTOR sold what... 2 million? So lots of people think thats reasonable. If you dont, you are free to not play.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RagnorMalakRagnorMalak Member UncommonPosts: 115

wait so all preorders get beta access? feels kinda silly signing up for the upcoming beta events in march how many events are there gonna be 1-2 maybe? o and digital-deluxe for me i only want the in game things :) im a bit old for dollies

Not really. Closed Beta starts in March. Pre-orders will be available at april 10th, so pre-order beta access cannot give you access to te beta events in March. My guess is that it will give you access to the open beta weekends that are apparantly coming in april.

Are they serious with these digital deluxe items?  Mouse over them.  They all read as cash shop items to me and if this is the kind of things we get in the cash shop I am a bit worried.
    The most worrisome thing for me is that they are putting an elite skill into this package.  Skills for money is a slippery slope and that is the exact opposite of what they have said in the past...
    A golem that you can use for 5 days... cash shop rental item.  A chalice that gives you PvP points/glory... cash shop pay 2 get PvP points.  A tome that reads as a cash shop item to boost guilds.  Miniatures bleh whatever for some not for some prob cash shop items all fluff and not a problem.
    WTF are they doing rolling a skill into this.  Why are they giving items and probably putting items into the cash shop that reward you with something that you should naturally get from PvP'ing.  I am more than a little concerned....

If you bought Guild Wars 1, you got a similar kind of thing, namely a summoning stone that summoned a fire breathing minion that could help you survive the early levels. I think the elite skill does the same kind of thing. I doubt it will be an OP skill you will use a lot at max level. As for the other items: I don't mind having a gnome-banker in the item shop. It isn't really necessary, it's more of an extra help if you farm a lot of items or havent got a lot of inventory space in the beginning of the game. Due to the teleporting system you can teleport to an outpost that has access to storage pretty quickly anyway so don't think this will be very important to have, only for farmers, as I said. 
    The chalice and tome could be problematic if it would be in the item shop, since buying pvp glory and guild fame would be against anything ANet has said before about skill being the most important factor in winning and gaining fame. Could be a one time item to give players a head start in gaining some guild and pvp functionalities. Guess we will have to wait for a clarifaction from ANet about this.

• AhrienAhrien Member UncommonPosts: 18

Digital Deluxe for me :)

Eagerly waiting for April 10th!

• AquaKiraAquaKira Member UncommonPosts: 39

150dollars = 114euros. Let's hope they don't charge 150euros for it! Eventhough I will still buy it at 150euros anyway :) A cd beats listening to youtube. And the frame with art is also very nice!

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I think this is hilarious. The same ones calling SWTOR CE fans sheep are praising the GW2 CE. You will regret paying that much for it...trust me on that. SWTOR CE was my first CE ever and it will be my last since it wasn't worth it. I love the game, but I can't justify my $150.00 purchase.