Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: No PvP at Launch

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Diablo III blog has been updated with the bombshell news that the game will not ship with PvP game play and that it will be patched in at a later date. According to Jay Wilson, the decision was made as the team realized that the PvP system simply wasn't living up to the team's expectations. Wilson wrote: "...delaying the whole game purely for PvP would just be punishing to everyone who’s waiting to enjoy the campaign and core solo/co-op content, all of which is just about complete."

Read the entire blog post on the Diablo III site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

This is pure guessing on my part, but I'd say that means we're nearing every closer to a launch date.  :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Originally posted by BillMurphy

This is pure guessing on my part, but I'd say that means we're nearing every closer to a launch date.  :)

I'd say you're right. I'd aslo say that, at this point, there isn't much left to cut.

Sure hope it's worth it when it comes out. I'm learning to tune out the skull.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• CorthagathCorthagath Member Posts: 291

these news make me feel a bit uncomfortable ... even though pvp might be a bit brainless but to say we are not going to get pvp for launch makes me think that if this part of the game doesnt make it to release, what else wont ? and if there is some stuff that they are saying that wont get to be played in launch but they are going to make it later, it makes me feel like they are in a hurry :/

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

this game is so doomed.

I blame all the amp they started early last year - they should of done what Anet has been doin with GW2- just releasing stuff as they finish- no expectations with exeptional previews!

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Perhaps PvP as an upcoming DLC module?  Couldn't have it in the game at launch if they want to avoid another ME3-like fiasco.

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

Originally posted by orbitxo

this game is so doomed.

I blame all the amp they started early last year - they should of done what Anet has been doin with GW2- just releasing stuff as they finish- no expectations with exeptional previews!

When the game launches and breaks sales records like every other Blizzard game, I guess it will still be doomed huh?

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Originally posted by BillMurphy

also just a guessing of my part, it will be a DLC on the first week or so :)

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Sure it will sell well still.  I don't mind as I would want to level up in single player, play a co-op char, get experience, and start dabbling in HC and NM before jumping over to PvP seriously.

Honestly as soon as they announced PvP = Arena in this game I was already disgusted.  I at least have hope now they won't make some shallow crap out of this system and may actually put some thought into it.  I wish they would look to Dark/Demons Souls for some interesting ways to incorporate PvP in a game line this other than an Arena.

If it is an Arena my only hope is that they can make a rock solid MOBA style mini game out of the PvP.  What they are doing is better than rushing out a shallow, non thought out system, and forcing themselves to build upon it.

Good news for me in any regard.  Just let me start clicking some foul beasts for treasure spewing greatness.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Next up: Levels/Skills/Items won't make it to the launch.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Wonderful. They've already cut out / dumbed down so much that it's basically 'baby's first action-RPG'. Makes me glad I wrote Blizzard off a while ago.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

wow, no PvP, ok.  Any interest I had in this game was not based on the PvP aspect. To me this is a single player game.  If I want multi-player I will log into EVE.   My main problems with this game are the $60 pricetag.. which I might be able to handle, maybe, and the fact that it has redefined soon.  Soon used to mean within the forseeable future. Now it seems to mean on or before the end of the Mayan Calendar and the end of all we know. (this was written in sarcasm font btw).

Currently bored with MMO's.

• deadanddivindeadanddivin Member Posts: 13

i swear people on here don't have brains. WAKE UP, just because they're not releasing it with PVP doesn't mean they're taking out everything else. they're just trying to make everyone happy here, like those millions of people whining about how long it's taking to release the game. anyways, everyone's gonna have to bash some monsters faces in before hopping into PVP. quit crying when they're trying to make everyone happy here, you all know blizzard would never release a game in a bad state, and they won't. so no, it's not DOOMED. /facepalm.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

INB4 DLC

• FeydawayFeydaway Member Posts: 122

This is a pretty major bombshell.  And not just because it's another disappointing announcement in a long list of stupid changes/removals.

It is major because this will be the FIRST Blizzard game ever released before "it is ready".  This has always been the Blizzard mainstay - they release a game when it is ready.  Period.

Times (and the economy) change.  The pressure is on, and they are going to deliver prematurely.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

This matters why? PvP ruins most games anyway with its power struggle of no life having losers that feel since they play 8-20 hours a day they should be able to WTFPWN everyone else with uber gear of pwning.

Its never skill, its always gear. Gear ruins games by becoming the basis of game design instead of FUN like it should be.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340

EXCLUSIVE PVP PATCH, ONLY 5.99!

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

sorry but this is transparent to me blizzard is straight up stupid .... delay the game and launch with pvp. Unless us fans are supposed to be so sympathetic to blizzards finances that we don't mind getting the shaft and paying full price for a game that is unfinished at launch.  I don't care about their financial bottom line i want a finished product on release and that includes pvp how about you just launch with no mellee or no ranged combat while you are at it.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by Exterminos

sorry but this is transparent to me blizzard is straight up stupid .... delay the game and launch with pvp. Unless us fans are supposed to be so sympathetic to blizzards finances that we don't mind getting the shaft and paying full price for a game that is unfinished at launch.  I don't care about their financial bottom line i want a finished product on release and that includes pvp how about you just launch with no mellee or no ranged combat while you are at it.

Not really sure why a single player/co-op game needs PvP.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Who cares just give us the game already. 

If all those PvP lovers don't like it, just don't buy the game. It's not like Blizzard is not super transparent about what they're doing. You buy the game knowing exactly what you're getting. And that's a game without an arena system. I will buy the game at launch (and that's coming from someone who played a gazillion hours of Diablo 2 PvP) you can wait 2-3 months for when they launch their PvP system. You need a lot of time to get used to the game anyway before starting PvP anyway.

It's funny that most of your that are QQing all the time will still buy the game at launch.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685

Screw PvP, don't care about it when playing Diablo.

• flupflup Member UncommonPosts: 8

Originally posted by Feydaway

This is a pretty major bombshell.  And not just because it's another disappointing announcement in a long list of stupid changes/removals.

It is major because this will be the FIRST Blizzard game ever released before "it is ready".  This has always been the Blizzard mainstay - they release a game when it is ready.  Period.

Times (and the economy) change.  The pressure is on, and they are going to deliver prematurely.

This. The fact that Blizzard cant reallocate their resources to a get the PvP part back on trap while tuning the last past of the PvE content is not reassuring when you think how big a project D3 is. There are some project managers/game designers that didnt do their job - just my oppinion

• F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349

Ahahahaha.

They have an item mall but no pvp?

Hard to understand how anyone is excited for this game. I also fail to see how I would enjoy the gameplay, diablo 2 was good at the time because that was as good as action based games could be at the time. Now its just dated and bad to have click to move isometric games. Click click right click click click item mall.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

I'm one of those people who were hoping for this game about five years ago. A decade after D2, and this is all we get...

I'll keep my sixty bucks this time.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

being an avid pve'er i do feel sorry for the pvpers in this, however i have to say thank goodness it doesn't because it usually messes things up for the rest of us especially with a company that is notorious for being too lazy to separate the coding for how abilities behave in pve and pvp. I don't want to spend hours every week relearning my entire character just because someone whined that it was OP the week before.

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

Maybe they took notice of how BW botched their PvP and how GW2 PvP will rock the world. :)