Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pricepoint is the real issue

Comments

• brac777brac777 Member Posts: 35

Gotta disagree about the pricing.  Game is priced very well for what you get. 

Best graphics in class *check

Best combat in class *check

Best boss fights *check

Meaningful PVP *check

FFA open world PVP *check

Skill making a difference *check

Good customer service *check

What more do you want man?  The only area the game is lacking is the crafting system, which for most people is meh anyways.  The questing is on par with wow and rift.

And as for you saying that Tera is not AAA, LOLOLOLOL.  Tera is AAA without a doubt, better than rift, better than swtor.  If Tera isn't AAA then neither was Rift/Swtor/DCUO. 

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Against AAA doesn't define quality, it define budget. AAA title simpley means the company behind it has shit ton of money thats pretty much yet. Normally you expect lot of money to produce good games, well we obviously know thats not true.

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Against AAA doesn't define quality, it define budget. AAA title simpley means the company behind it has shit ton of money thats pretty much yet. Normally you expect lot of money to produce good games, well we obviously know thats not true.

Yes money doesn't mean much.  Rift was produced from begining to release on 30 million, and is a quality title.  SWTOR on the other hand had unlimited money and spent anywhere from 150-300+ million according to some, and is a buggy piece of crap.

As far as how much Tera spent, I'm sure BHS spent more than Rift but less than SWTOR on dev costs, Unreal Engine don't come cheap.   So I guess Tera qualifies as AAA.

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by brac777

Best graphics in class *check This is your opinion, doesn't mean it's true

Best combat in class *check This just isn't true. Action combat is not new nor is TERAs the best.

Best boss fights *check Again, this is your opinion.

Meaningful PVP *check This is just not true. PVP doesn't mean anything in TERA.

FFA open world PVP *check Some find this a negative.

Skill making a difference *check Till gear in involved. Just wait till a Berserker or Archer one shots you and see how much skill is involved.

Good customer service *check Game isn't even released yet. So, who cares.

What more do you want man?  The only area the game is lacking is the crafting system, which for most people is meh anyways.  The questing is on par with wow and rift.

And as for you saying that Tera is not AAA, LOLOLOLOL.  Tera is AAA without a doubt, better than rift, better than swtor.  If Tera isn't AAA then neither was Rift/Swtor/DCUO. 

Questing is far from on par with WoW. Go back and play it cause you obviously don't know.

Combat faster then Monster Hunter would be good too.

Meaningful crafting would be nice.

No RNG enchant system would be good too.

How about more classes that are not just Warriors with different weapons?

How about class customization beyond the crappy glyph system?

How about a cheaper price for a game that will obviously dwindle in a month?

What else besides the combat is worth paying for again?

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Best graphics in class *check

Best combat in class *check

Best boss fights *check

Meaningful PVP *check

FFA open world PVP *check

Skill making a difference *check

Good customer service *check

Best graphics?  Debatable-they are technically really nice but many do not like the style

Best combat?  Depends if you like more twitchy combat, and even some that do like it have said there are f2p games that do it better.  This is highly debatable

Best boss fights?  Extremely debatable.  They look cool, but in the first 27 levels they arent anything remotely special

Meaningful PvP?  Havent seen this yet, maybe its in there. I wouldnt count the vanarch system as we havent seen it in action yet

FFA open world PvP?  Its there.  /shrug

Skill making a difference?  It does in every game.  TERA is still Level first, gear second, skill third in what matters.  I have seen no conclusive evidence that skill matters more in TERA than any other game.

And the questing is on par with WoW?  Come on now.

People need to chill with the ridiculous hyperbole.  its a good overall package for fans of PvP, but a lackluster overall package for fans of PvE

• RavenspenRavenspen Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Tera has fairly fun combat though it feels a bit clunky to use the interface and the graphics are fair. Monster design and scripting is very good and fresh, BUT questing is the most dull tokenexcuse to kill X critters I have seen since lineag II. Overall it feels like a really really good f2p. I could maybe see myself paying $9 to keep it for a secondary game when I feel like more action, but with no real draw to the quests it holds no great intrest for me.

If I wanted an action game there are tons of choices out there and most are free
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

I think it's a "your mileage may vary" sort of thing.

I've spent a lot of time in the tera beta since saturday morning and I confirmed to myself that:

Tera, sans combat and art design, plays like a typical older asian free to play.

A lot of unnecessary running around for quests (no reason to send me to 5 people when 2 would have done) typical kill x of y, etc.

However, I'm having a blast. The pvp is very fun, the pvp server feels like Lineage 2 at launch, with perhaps too much pitifully stunted adoloescent and "stupid" chat, and the world is beautiful.

But the game play is VERY same old same old. So why and I having so much fun? Because it feels like an older mmo. People are actually grouping, talking (or just grunting through a few syllables for those who will forever be an adult with a mind of a filthy eight year old) congregating, etc.

And it's happening in various parts of the game world.

People are actually helping out with some of the huge mobs "just because". I realize that people try to solo these things but to a few people they didn't realize how group oriented these mobs would be. Essentialy forming a small community that interacts with each other.

As a side note it took me two tries of over an hour each as a lancer to take down one of these things. Was one of the best times I've ever had.

I did actully think of the money they were asking and all I could think was "well, if they can somehow keep alive that feeling of "old school" mmo with a twist then perhaps this game will garner a following.

Me? I've preordered and have taken the week off for the head start. That's how much fun I"m having.

Oh and I saw Mannish but couldn't rez him because I didn't have a rez scroll. Sorry about that mannish.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by Sorrow

As I have stated in the past Tera is not a horrible game, however, it is also not a great game.

Tera is a A, possibly a AA title, but what is is not is a AAA title. 

Sadly Enmasse has chosen to set a pricepoint based on a AAA market. There are professionals called Costers, their whole job is to independently analysis markets, look at production and maintance costs, and determine the right pricepoint for a product.

Based on the fact many AAA titles are releasing this year, many AAA titles are going F2P, and many F2P titles as good if not better than Tera are coming to market, Tera's failure, or rather the failure of  Enmasse's business managers is in setting an unrealistic pricepoint.

If you intend to sell an economy product you must charge an economy price. You can not sell us a KIA and charge us for a BMW, the market just won't accept it.

I am far from an expert Coster, but I do have many years experience on both sides of the industry.

IMO, Tera should be coming in around $25 standard, $35 deluxe, $45 CE, with a $6.99 subscription.

If Enmasse was realistic and had the experience to set a reasonable pricepoint, Tera would have a much greater chance of carving out a small slice of a very competitive and fickle market.

Problem is most game developers have these massive EGO's and think their game is the best game ever, hard to get men like that to ever be reasonable.

I agree

Tera is excellent game. But how can it compete with GW2 that does all Tera does, better - and its B2P !

Only solution is launching Tera with real low price point.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by Lobotomist

I agree

Tera is excellent game. But how can it compete with GW2 that does all Tera does, better - and its B2P !

Well, SW:TOR is asking for a subscription, just saying.

If there is one thing I'm hoping that GW2 will do, is push pressure on the market to justify subscription money. Which I somehow doubt it, seeing how well SW:TOR is doing right now.

On another note, GW2 and Tera have quite the different type of PvP and the political system can make things interesting indeed. Will you vote for a vanarch that protects people or you'll vote another out of fear to leave your guild alone? It does make for some interesting inter-server politics (and drama) the ones you won't find in GW2. GW2 seem to be totally streamlined for the ultra-casual.

These are certainly interesting times ahead of us. While I predict that everybody will convert into some sort of F2P hybrid (Tera included), I'm not entirely convinced that GW2 will be the catalyst to abolish some sort of subscription. After all GW2 is a cash shop game itself (monetising in the same manner that League of Legends is doing, if I'm not mistaken).

Some dude says CS doesn't matter, the level of shit posting/trolling is amazing here.  BTW Tera has the best graphics in an MMO, this is not debatable, you may not like the style for whatever reason, but there is no current MMO with better graphics. 

As for the last guy who brought up GW2, that game isn't out yet, has no release date, and is about to start closed beta.  I wouldn't hold my breath lurking forums waiting for GW2, think its gonna be quite awhile.  Also I love how people keep saying GW2 does this or that better than other games, when they haven't even played GW2 yet.  Gotta love the hype machine.

Some dude says CS doesn't matter, the level of shit posting/trolling is amazing here.  BTW Tera has the best graphics in an MMO, this is not debatable, you may not like the style for whatever reason, but there is no current MMO with better graphics. 

And you are talking about 'shit posting' yet you say something like this?

Of course graphics are debatable.  Because style is a very large factor in graphics, and style is highly subjective.  There will be lots of people, for instance, that think Rift looks better.  And they arent wrong.

Ans Customer Service is an *extremely* minor factor in a game.  Ive been playing MMOs for a dozen years now and Ive had to rely on customer service probably less than a dozen times.  Ive only had one bad experience (WoW), everything else was dealt with as I would expect (and most of this was playing SoE games who people say have poor CS).  Bascally, CS is something that almost never affects you so yes, it is fairly insignificant.

I'm afraid that it's beyond debate that both Tera's world and avatars are more detailed than Rift's (regardless of art style) and that Tera's engine is magnitudes smoother than Rift's, especially considering said level of detail.

Tera has plenty of faults, the engine is not one of them.

Originally posted by Xasapis

I'm afraid that it's beyond debate that both Tera's world and avatars are more detailed than Rift's (regardless of art style) and that Tera's engine is magnitudes smoother than Rift's, especially considering said level of detail.

But that doesn't mean it has better graphics...art style is extremely important.  I prefer TERA to Rift personally (Rift is pretty bland outside of places like EI) but Im not in love with either game's graphics.

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287

Hmmmm......image

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by teakbois

But that doesn't mean it has better graphics...art style is extremely important.  I prefer TERA to Rift personally (Rift is pretty bland outside of places like EI) but Im not in love with either game's graphics.

Yes it does, like he said REGARDLESS of art style, we are judging the quality of the graphics and how well they run not how pleasing they are to us.

As for TERA, this CBT was the worst one yet...I spent 25+ of the last 30 hours online, I feel like a zombie lol. Was having too much fun with guildies to get off. :'(

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I agree

If there is one thing I'm hoping that GW2 will do, is push pressure on the market to justify subscription money. Which I somehow doubt it, seeing how well SW:TOR is doing right now.

On another note, GW2 and Tera have quite the different type of PvP and the political system can make things interesting indeed. Will you vote for a vanarch that protects people or you'll vote another out of fear to leave your guild alone? It does make for some interesting inter-server politics (and drama) the ones you won't find in GW2. GW2 seem to be totally streamlined for the ultra-casual.

These are certainly interesting times ahead of us. While I predict that everybody will convert into some sort of F2P hybrid (Tera included), I'm not entirely convinced that GW2 will be the catalyst to abolish some sort of subscription. After all GW2 is a cash shop game itself (monetising in the same manner that League of Legends is doing, if I'm not mistaken).

I am of firm belief that P2P subscription games are done for.

SWTOR might be doing fine (maybe) but this will not last very long.

TERA would have real good appeal as P2P game , if it was launched year ago. But era of subscription is over.

Enough is just to ask your self : "Why am i paying subscription , if I can get same for free ?"

Some games (like EVE) can answer that question.

Can TERA ?

I am not so sure....

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    What about chrono scrolls, for the cheapos under us?
    You'd be playing for free.
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Pivotelite

SW:TOR was $80 for regular, $160 for CE.

TERA in comparison is much cheaper and I would play TERA any day of the week over SW:TOR, nevermind TERA launched with hi-res textures and fully custimizable UI...SW:TOR however...didn't.

Also saying TERA is not a "great" game is entirely preferential, I just logged off after I got a message saying "you have been on for 15 hours" and I would go back on if I didn't need to sleep. My guildies are still on...lol.

THIS.

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

Originally posted by Jimmydean

SWTOR is considered a triple A MMORPG that they spent 200mil on. I'd rather play TERA any day. I'll get my moneys worth out of TERA, unlike other "triple A" mmos such as SWTOR.

amen to that.

The author of this thread seems to think that an AAA MMO = fun and good.    im afraid he is about to find the biggest dissapoinment of his lifetime.

i have played every single so called AAA MMO, all the way untill Swtor.     and i can tell you  Tera has been way way more fun to me, than every single one of them.  

then there is a group of dreamers, that think GW2 will be the holy grail of the MMO genre.  they have a nasty surprise coming im afraid.  and not because GW2 is going to be a bad MMO or anything like that.   but because a MMO cannot appeal to everyone. and no matter how good you think it is, it won't ever be perfect.  it will always lack content, no matter what.  so im afraid we won't see any holy grail of the MMO genre untill year  4000 .

just because a MMO don't appeal to you,   does not means, it won't appeal to others.

I agree

I am of firm belief that P2P subscription games are done for.

SWTOR might be doing fine (maybe) but this will not last very long.

TERA would have real good appeal as P2P game , if it was launched year ago. But era of subscription is over.

Enough is just to ask your self : "Why am i paying subscription , if I can get same for free ?"

Some games (like EVE) can answer that question.

Can TERA ?

I am not so sure....

whenever  the Era of paying subscription ends,   i can assure you. that will be the Death of  the MMO genre.

free to play, = crap , cheap, no content,  buy to win.  so no thank you.   

if that happens i would personally go back to reading books.

Originally posted by Ravenspen

Tera has fairly fun combat though it feels a bit clunky to use the interface and the graphics are fair. Monster design and scripting is very good and fresh, BUT questing is the most dull tokenexcuse to kill X critters I have seen since lineag II. Overall it feels like a really really good f2p. I could maybe see myself paying $9 to keep it for a secondary game when I feel like more action, but with no real draw to the quests it holds no great intrest for me. If I wanted an action game there are tons of choices out there and most are free

Tera questing, is about the same as Wow.   and guess what sugar?  wow is still the king of MMO.     so they most it done something right, despite the old fashioned quest system to appeal to so many people.

if quests are your prime focus in a MMO.  i suggest you to try Swtor.    not other MMO can beat Swtor as far questing goes.

i played swtor since beta, day one.  and just canceled my subscription a few days ago.  i feel like a broken record but will tell you something.  i've had way more fun playing Tera closed beta weekends.  than the entire time i played Swtor.

bottom line is.  it all comes down to preferences.  what you may like, others will hate. and viceversa.

Originally posted by Nadya3

whenever  the Era of paying subscription ends,   i can assure you. that will be the Death of  the MMO genre.

The era of P2P exclusive has ended already and the sky has not fallen. Yes, pretty much all games will go F2P hybrid, those that haven't already. And those that did the switch have included a VIP status for those who feel more comfortable about a subscription model. If you opt for that, the game might be F2P for some, but it'll be a subscribers game for you.

For example:

• GW2 is a B2P cash shop hybrid

• TSW will launch as P2P with some form of cash shop, probably similar to GW2

• LOTRO has been F2P but if you subscribe there is little difference than prior to the F2P transition.

• EVE is a P2P cash shop hybrid too

• Well, the list is too big, it'll be easier to list P2P without a cash shop or F2P mode at this point.

The bottom line is that there are games that are good and games that are bad. The F2P model just makes the sampling easier, plus you don't have to invest at all if you don't find them fun. The system is not without its benefits and also pitfalls. Most of what are considered bad F2P games are not due to the games themselves, but due to the bait and hook type of gameplay that force players into.

There is a simple way to tell if a F2P game has a good monetary system or is a money grab. If the game is fun and the shop just enchances that fun (see League of Legends that sells costumes mostly) then the system is good. If the game hinders fun in order to sell stuff from the cash shop (see exp boosts, hps and mana potions etc.) then the game has a bad monetary system.

Originally posted by Nadya3

The era of P2P exclusive has ended already and the sky has not fallen. Yes, pretty much all games will go F2P hybrid, those that haven't already. And those that did the switch have included a VIP status for those who feel more comfortable about a subscription model. If you opt for that, the game might be F2P for some, but it'll be a subscribers game for you.

i would never play a F2P MMO, been there, done that, so i avoid them like the plague.   i woulden't play them  not even if  getting paid for it.

as long there are good subscription MMO, there will always be a healthy market for them.

Oups, big edit and you were too fast ;)

See above your post ;)

Oups, big edit and you were too fast ;)

See above your post ;)

lol i know!p    i'm a one fast cookie i tell ya!p

the funny thing is, i basically learned to type while playing MMO!p

actually i think the Hybrid approach ain't too bad