Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

From watching livestreams

2»

Comments

• HannibpHannibp Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by Xasapis

Any examples of those games where the grind is not that obvious? (posting this while in the process of killing 360 tomb raiders for a deed in LOTRO)

Lineage 2 and Silkroad.

Jk.

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by JimyHumuHumu

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I learned that the kill X/Y?Z type of mobs quests can hide the typical Korean grind PvE is in these kind of games.

From the reviewers i understood that the combat system thats a bit more active then the normal combat, can't make up for the game feeling like a grindfest.

and how exactly is that any different to non-korean pve quest grind in 'other' kind of games? This topic really doesnt make any sense at all.  If its korean grinder without quest = its bad. If its western game with quest grind = good. But if its korean game with quest grind = bad... because its korean? or because it uses the very same system as just about every other mmo? it really is confusing :P

I just finished killing 360 salamanders in LOTRO for just a single deed. Korean grind? Please lol, nothing beats westerners in inventing grinds. WoW reputation grind anyone? SW:TOR warzone PvP grind? Should I go on?

Guess you never played Lienage and FFXI if you think killing 360 salamanders is a grind..hahahha!!

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Originally posted by Superduper69

Originally posted by JimyHumuHumu

I learned that the kill X/Y?Z type of mobs quests can hide the typical Korean grind PvE is in these kind of games.

From the reviewers i understood that the combat system thats a bit more active then the normal combat, can't make up for the game feeling like a grindfest.

and how exactly is that any different to non-korean pve quest grind in 'other' kind of games? This topic really doesnt make any sense at all.  If its korean grinder without quest = its bad. If its western game with quest grind = good. But if its korean game with quest grind = bad... because its korean? or because it uses the very same system as just about every other mmo? it really is confusing :P

I just finished killing 360 salamanders in LOTRO for just a single deed. Korean grind? Please lol, nothing beats westerners in inventing grinds. WoW reputation grind anyone? SW:TOR warzone PvP grind? Should I go on?

Guess you never played Lienage and FFXI if you think killing 360 salamanders is a grind..hahahha!!

I was gonna say ...

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I should have used the word repetitive.

-they overused the killquest type, which feels repetitive very fast, quests that ask you to fetch some kind of item that requires you to find and fight a way to your goal are way less repetitive. Sadly according to the beta testers, 90% of the quests are either killquests, or kill untill item drops quests.

So while the combat seems more active then in other games, the type of quests they have overused  makes it grindy and repetitive.  Some other games have more randomness in their world design that makes the repetitivness less obvious.

This opinion is based on what the beta testers said and showed in their videos.

What's wrong Lord Bachus ?  Yes tera in a sense is like every other mmo on the market,  kill this and kill that.  But what really makes tera stand out is that combat is really fun and adding the element of being PK'ed at any time even more so.

Perhaps you should do more gaming and less video watching ^^,  and for gods sake roll on a pvp server because if you roll on a pve server and bitch about pve content being repetitive......well that's just lame.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Any examples of those games where the grind is not that obvious? (posting this while in the process of killing 360 tomb raiders for a deed in LOTRO)

Star Wars: The Old Republic

World of Warcraft

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

Champions Online

City of Heroes

Everquest II

Warhammer Online

Age of Conan

Even LotRO masks its grind in a sense by placing it under an optional game mechanic.  The quests aren't any more grindy than what you'll find in WoW.

Those are just whatever popped into my head, and none of those have PvE as repetitious as TERA where you'll get quests like kill 20 of ___ or kill 10 of ____ and 15 of ____ over and over again.  Really the only thing keep people from really bashing the crap out of that system is the graphics and the combat.  Once people grow tired of the gimmick, I think people will start to exhibit more reason.

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

Originally posted by SuperXero89

World of Warcraft

Champions Online

City of Heroes

Everquest II

Warhammer Online

Age of Conan

Even LotRO masks its grind in a sense by placing it under an optional game mechanic.  The quests aren't any more grindy than what you'll find in WoW.

Those are just whatever popped into my head, and none of those have PvE as repetitious as TERA where you'll get quests like kill 20 of ___ or kill 10 of ____ and 15 of ____ over and over again.  Really the only thing keep people from really bashing the crap out of that system is the graphics and the combat.  Once people grow tired of the gimmick, I think people will start to exhibit more reason.

what?  please tell me you are just kidding ! or that you got no clue what you talking about!

you say all those mmo you listed all mask grinding?  lol yeah right, in your dreams perhaps!   your post is full of so much (IT) and wishful thinking,  i don't even know where to begin with!.

all those MMO you've listed , and i 've played every single one of them in fact! some of them even from beta.   all of them got the exact same quest system Tera has or worse in some cases.

not to mention that even though most Tera quests are the usual generic kill 10 rats and repeat (exactly the same as every single of the MMO you've listed above) .  it also has ,  story  quests. 

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Originally posted by just1opinion

Okay, I've GOT to ask.  When you say grind, OP (or anyone, for that matter), do you mean quests that ask you to kill 10 of something, OR....like MapleStory or some other grindy game....ask you to kill HUNDREDS of something, because if so....I agree with you, THAT is a grind.  Killing 10 or this and 10 of that is just "WoW level questing."  Being asked to kill hundreds of something for a quest, I'm sorry, but that is an effin' GRIND.  And certainly some free to play games use that tactic.  I hate it.

What constitues a GRIND in your mind?  (rhyme unintended)

There actually are grind quests in TERA. You know, those repeatable ones that tell You to gather X proofs of kill, yet the droprate isin't 100%. No idea how important those are to character progression, but yeah - that's the prime example of grind element. 

When I played CBT i did 2 of those, but since when it asked me to kill 15 and actually had to kill closer to 30 to get all the proofs I started ignoring them later on. 

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by Nadya3

World of Warcraft

Champions Online

City of Heroes

Everquest II

Warhammer Online

Age of Conan

what?  please tell me you are just kidding ! or that you got no clue what you talking about!

you say all those mmo you listed all mask grinding?  lol yeah right, in your dreams perhaps!   your post is full of so much (IT) and wishful thinking,  i don't even know where to begin with!.

all those MMO you've listed , and i 've played every single one of them in fact! some of them even from beta.   all of them got the exact same quest system Tera has

really?  In all those games, your quests go like:

OK adventurer, go kill 5 of x and come back.  

*adventurer moves 5 feet to the quest mobs and kills them*

Thanks adventurer, now go kill 10 of x and 10 of y

Wow, you're amazing.  Please go on down the road to help my friend.  Btw, if you have time, please kill 10 more of x and come back to me.

*adventurer goes down the road*

Hey, thanks for helping my buddy earlier.  Now I need you to kil 25 of x.

*adventurer kills 25 of x*

Wow, you're amazing.  Ok now go kill 15 of x and get 5 necklaces from y.  Talk to my friend over there who needs you to collect 5 x.

That is literally the only questing you do in TERA.  At least WoW breaks it up by offering vehicle minigames, more collection oriented quests, and quests that require the use of quest items in your inventory.  Also, don't remember the last time I played too many non-Korean MMORPGs where I got like a kill 20 of x quest back to back.

All MMORPGs have quests which revolve around killing, looting, and exploring.  The problem is that most Korean MMORPGs do nothing to disguise the repetition and just send you out to mindlessly grind thousands of nondescript mobs only stopping by a quest NPC per every 20 or so.

Originally posted by Ezhae

Originally posted by just1opinion

Okay, I've GOT to ask.  When you say grind, OP (or anyone, for that matter), do you mean quests that ask you to kill 10 of something, OR....like MapleStory or some other grindy game....ask you to kill HUNDREDS of something, because if so....I agree with you, THAT is a grind.  Killing 10 or this and 10 of that is just "WoW level questing."  Being asked to kill hundreds of something for a quest, I'm sorry, but that is an effin' GRIND.  And certainly some free to play games use that tactic.  I hate it.

What constitues a GRIND in your mind?  (rhyme unintended)

There actually are grind quests in TERA. You know, those repeatable ones that tell You to gather X proofs of kill, yet the droprate isin't 100%. No idea how important those are to character progression, but yeah - that's the prime example of grind element. 

When I played CBT i did 2 of those, but since when it asked me to kill 15 and actually had to kill closer to 30 to get all the proofs I started ignoring them later on. 

those repeatable quests are entirely optional.    they usually give you tokens as reward you can collect, and later you can use them to trade for green items and so on in the cities.   is no different than grinding dailies in swtor  or grinding faction points in wow.   they are entirely optional.   i only do them twice myself, and only if i feel like doing them.   normally focus on story and regular quests.   the neat thing about them, is that it allows you to start collecting things even at low levels.

Originally posted by Nadya3

World of Warcraft

Champions Online

City of Heroes

Everquest II

Warhammer Online

Age of Conan

all those MMO you've listed , and i 've played every single one of them in fact! some of them even from beta.   all of them got the exact same quest system Tera has

really?  In all those games, your quests go like:

OK adventurer, go kill 5 of x and come back.  

Thanks adventurer, now go kill 10 of x and 10 of y

Wow, you're amazing.  Please go on down the road to help my friend.  Btw, if you have time, please kill 10 more of x and come back to me.

*adventurer goes down the road*

Hey, thanks for helping my buddy earlier.  Now I need you to kil 25 of x.

*adventurer kills 25 of x*

Wow, you're amazing.  Ok now go kill 15 of x and get 5 necklaces from y.  Talk to my friend over there who needs you to collect 5 x.

That is literally the only questing you do in TERA.  At least WoW breaks it up by offering vehicle minigames, more collection oriented quests, and quests that require the use of quest items in your inventory.  Also, don't remember the last time I played too many non-Korean MMORPGs where I got like a kill 20 of x quest back to back.

All MMORPGs have quests which revolve around killing, looting, and exploring.  The problem is that most Korean MMORPGs do nothing to disguise the repetition and just send you out to mindlessly grind thousands of nondescript mobs only stopping by a quest NPC per every 20 or so.

i hate to say this, but you really make no sense whatsoever.   wow and all the other MMO you listed have exactly the same questing , and i mean  (EXACTLY) the same as the questing you get in tera.  and you dont need any disguises at all.  because the quest is exactly the same.  it does not matter if the quest tells you  

" wow adventurer good job keep going down the road and bring those rats"    or wow you are the heroe of the 3 kingdoms, keep killing those pesky rats"

if your main goal purpose for playing a MMO is questing,  im afraid.  you picking the wrong genre for it.  i suggest you to try skyrim, ME3 or any other single player games

the only MMO that managed to put questing at the same level of a single player game,  is SWTOR.  you get some impressive quests, impressive voice overs.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    I'm sick of questing in any MMO.
    Often poorly written, contrived, cheesy. I have never been blown away by any kind of quest in any MMO.
    Just give me the flipping task and off I go to kill shit. Because that's what all these MMOs revolve around. Kill kill kill (hopefully I can avoid this in AA, if I choose to).

I still read the quest dialogues but I don't expect what some of you are expecting out of them...

I absolutely burnt out on it in TOR. The latest MMO to release that has "OMGWTFBBQ BRILLIANT QUESTING". Dang it I could've hung myself!
    You can take that kind of questing and put it nicely in a place where the sun don't shine.

Had the gameplay itself been more fun for me then maybe I could've forced myself to play some more. After all the money I spent on it, I wanted to get more out of it, but alas.

I'm completely changed. Give me fun mechanics, community and off I go, to create my own fun with other people who will hopefully some day fill up my friends list.

That's how I met my newest gaming buddy, not through questing, but through doing stuff together in-game.

You soloers can go play other MMOs where you can quest until the cows come home and enjoy the brilliant story-lines BY YOURSELF because that's what MMORPGs are completely about, no? 

I need some cheese for my whine.
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Exactly Blitz, no MMOs questing has ever provided me satisfaction, not one, it's a means to an end, even SW:TORs is lame, because well it sounds nice with dialogue and all but the combat in that game makes it awful.

Besides questing seems to become more interesting in the newest zones at least...

From 59-60 I noticed four interesting quests...one you click on some rock and you have to fight your inner self(a shadow) in a circle of NPCs watching you, another you have to go with an NPC through waves of literally 20-30 monsters at a time running at you and the NPC is one shotting BAMs while you get an attack boost letting you hit for 2-3m damage a hit, then at the end you fight a boss. Another quest was where you got into a cannon and had to shoot down BAMs out in a field and another you had to battle two bosses, one after the other. One is a completely new monster model only found in that quest and it has some really interesting moves.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

i think players should stop using grind fest term anyways how an earth you can hook up players to play day after day for a same game if there is NO repeatitive elements? ofc implenting new and exciting stuff every single day yes, id like to see that working out without any problem =)

and to these people here who says mmo questing sucks and has never bring anothing to them well then there is simple answer either put up with it or just ahng around in towns spamming chat with all kinda useless bullshit or stop playing if you like more movie based story telling for your games theres plenty outhere without needing to play online, simplez!

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by m0lly

and to these people here who says mmo questing sucks and has never bring anothing to them well then there is simple answer either put up with it or just ahng around in towns spamming chat with all kinda useless bullshit or stop playing if you like more movie based story telling for your games theres plenty outhere without needing to play online, simplez!

You seem to have misread, I love TERA, I love MMOs I am just saying I never found questing that fun, It was always a means to an end and I have no problem with that. 

I am saying all these people complaining about questing seem ridiculous to me, no questing in any MMO is vastly different enough or merges well with the combat to make me really enjoy it. I play MMOs for the MMO feature, whether it be group PvP or PvE, that is the point of an MMO. TERAs combat+visuals+group elements will keep me playing for a long time I would say.

Originally posted by Pivotelite

You seem to have misread, I love TERA, I love MMOs I am just saying I never found questing that fun, It was always a means to an end and I have no problem with that. 

I am saying all these people complaining about questing seem ridiculous to me, no questing in any MMO is vastly different enough or merges well with the combat to make me really enjoy it. I play MMOs for the MMO feature, whether it be group PvP or PvE, that is the point of an MMO. TERAs combat+visuals+group elements will keep me playing for a long time I would say.

+1 ( my apologies )

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

it seems ridiculous to you maybe because you don't understand that different players look for different things in MMOS. For me generally it is more about crafting and how i level up my character. Does it mean if find your play style to be ridiculous. Nope.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by NBlitz

I'm sick of questing in any MMO.

Often poorly written, contrived, cheesy. I have never been blown away by any kind of quest in any MMO.

Just give me the flipping task and off I go to kill shit. Because that's what all these MMOs revolve around. Kill kill kill (hopefully I can avoid this in AA, if I choose to).

I still read the quest dialogues but I don't expect what some of you are expecting out of them...

I absolutely burnt out on it in TOR. The latest MMO to release that has "OMGWTFBBQ BRILLIANT QUESTING". Dang it I could've hung myself!

You can take that kind of questing and put it nicely in a place where the sun don't shine.

Had the gameplay itself been more fun for me then maybe I could've forced myself to play some more. After all the money I spent on it, I wanted to get more out of it, but alas.

I'm completely changed. Give me fun mechanics, community and off I go, to create my own fun with other people who will hopefully some day fill up my friends list.

That's how I met my newest gaming buddy, not through questing, but through doing stuff together in-game.

You soloers can go play other MMOs where you can quest until the cows come home and enjoy the brilliant story-lines BY YOURSELF because that's what MMORPGs are completely about, no? 

I need some cheese for my whine.

I never once EVER cared about questing in mmorpgs lol, me and my friend are more grind people. I can aoe grind for 15hrs and not get tired, quest just a faster way to lvl thats all there is to it. Only time i read them is when i make alts and have time to kill, some time find something funny along the way, get some back ground story. Other than that ya never read them lol. Honeslty mmorpg is not about quest,  doesn't hurt to have nice quest but quest don't keep your player playing, do help draw in players.

But Blizt you should play dragon nest, so far only mmo where i give a damn about the quest. Also because it feels more like a singler player game most of the time but quest are pretty funny most of the time XD

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

it seems ridiculous to you maybe because you don't understand that different players look for different things in MMOS. For me generally it is more about crafting and how i level up my character. Does it mean if find your play style to be ridiculous. Nope.

Looking for quest in a mmorpg is kinda ridiculous because questing only last so long, mmorpg is meant to be played for a long period of time. You can only have so many quests to do, which is why singler play only last about maybe 60hrs tops. Games that last much longer are sandbox games where your free to do other thing. Quest is VERY limited time waster, and mmorpg is suppose to eat up as much of your life as possible. Picking an mmorpg for quest is asking for disappointment because you be bored in the same amount of time your done with a singler play game. They don't want you to play it like a singler player game.

• ScriptZScriptZ Member UncommonPosts: 70

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Looking for quest in a mmorpg is kinda ridiculous because questing only last so long, mmorpg is meant to be played for a long period of time. You can only have so many quests to do, which is why singler play only last about maybe 60hrs tops. Games that last much longer are sandbox games where your free to do other thing. Quest is VERY limited time waster, and mmorpg is suppose to eat up as much of your life as possible. Picking an mmorpg for quest is asking for disappointment because you be bored in the same amount of time your done with a singler play game. They don't want you to play it like a singler player game.

But your forgetting that not all players share your same view. There are some players like myself that do play for the questing and the storyline. When I get an mmo it's for the story and I go into the game expecting to play till max level, then I either leave and find the next game till the older games update with new story or if the game has 2-4 man dungs with a story to them then I play them and then leave. That's what I wanted all along. I'm not playing an mmo to have better gear then you or to fight other players in pvp. If I wanted that i'd just play a fighting game like mortal kombat and skip all the "means to an end" conetent, so don't tell me that I'll be dissapointed if I join the game just for quests, because I wont be. And don't say that "if that's all I wanted why not just play a single player game instead?" Well it's simple I've played single player rpg's my whole life, I don't like playing games without friends anymore it's played out and boring, also single player games don't get updated like mmo's especially rpg's.

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

Bottom line:

Only play TERA if you are immune to burn-out from quest grind or mob grind.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    @OP

Stereotyping TERA because its made in Korea is nothing new, it's been seen here for a while now. The arguments have been beaten to death. The fact is a lot of people who have run the MMO gambit, like myself, are really enjoying TERA for various reasons. Mostly because it's fun to play.

I'm not even sure what you thought you were contributing other than flame bait. Which is unfortunate since I would think you'd be excited for your game of choice to be release in the bear future. Best of luck to your game though. It will et it's fair share before and after release lol.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

it only makes up for the poor questing and poor art direction for so long though.  Just like SWTOR a game that relys heavily on one thing (in this case combat) is doomed to fail because eventually that one thing gets stale and boring.  Just like Swtor and Voice Over questing, you eventually reach a point of critical mass and having a huge lack of other innovative featres starts to show.  As the old saying go you can polish a turd till it shines like glass but in the end its still a turd.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

it only makes up for the poor questing and poor art direction for so long though.  Just like SWTOR a game that relys heavily on one thing (in this case combat) is doomed to fail because eventually that one thing gets stale and boring.  Just like Swtor and Voice Over questing, you eventually reach a point of critical mass and having a huge lack of other innovative featres starts to show.  As the old saying go you can polish a turd till it shines like glass but in the end its still a turd.

Yes and GW2 will cure cancer.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449
    I hear watching something on livestream makes you an expert and a valid source for opinions.

Yes the questing is abysmal, but the group play and dungeon fights are among the best I've seen in years. I'll take improved group play over improved solo play any day of the week.