Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this forum here?

FadedbombFadedbomb Aiken, SCMember Posts: 2,081

MechWarrior "Online" is simply a reboot of the Mechwarrior series. It is NOT an MMO. I'm fairly active on their forums quite a bit, and have had several lengthy discussions on there with the Mods themselves and they've admitted multiple times that MWO isn't an MMO.

 

It's the EXACT model as "World of Tanks". Instanced match-made matches similar to old FPS style gameplay where two teams are pitted against each other with 10-15 players in a match to run around a cube shaped map that is fairly tiny.

 

It's literally going to be NO DIFFERENT from how Mechwarrior 2, 3, or 4's multiplayer worked. Except, they're talking about the same "lobby" type interface that World of Tanks uses to manage your vehicles, EXP etc. The ONLY difference between Mechwarrior 4 and MWO is the fact that stats are tracked. THAT's IT. It's not a REAL MMO.

 

Didn't we have a whole lengthy discussion last year or so about how this site was posting information & forums about products that are NOT meant for an MMO site?

 

Don't believe me? You need to go into their forums & actually participate. They're not splitting hairs here, Mechwarrior "Online" is NOT going to be an MMO. Please remove it from this site as you're causing the WRONG type of Hype towards MechWarrior Online, and you risk damaging its launch potential.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

«1

Comments

  • El-HefeEl-Hefe Yakima, WAMember Posts: 609

    doesnt bother me any. there's other games on the site that aren't mmo's.  it's a gaming site, that focuses on mmo's. if you don't like it, tough.

    I've got the straight edge.

  • FadedbombFadedbomb Aiken, SCMember Posts: 2,081

    Originally posted by brody71

    doesnt bother me any. there's other games on the site that aren't mmo's.  it's a gaming site, that focuses on mmo's. if you don't like it, tough.

    Bingo, this site is meant for discussion & news about an MMO site. If they want to they can easily post news & forums on their "FPS Guru" site. It has no business being here, and is actually insulting that they'd try to generate negative hype for what seems to be a half decent attempt at rebooting the Mechwarrior franchise.

     

    This section will simply mislead people into thinking the wrong thing. It's happened before, and it'll happen again. This forum & news for MWO has zero business being here. At least be somewhat professional and put it on the proper website. Like, say, FPSGuru?!

    The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

  • UnshraUnshra Hanover, MDMember Posts: 382

    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

    It's the EXACT model as "World of Tanks"...

     

    So did you jump on the "World of Tanks" forums and make the same post or how about the "Torchlight 2" and "Diablo 3" forums? Point of fact, MMORPG.com has forums for games that are not MMO's because MMORPG.com stopped being about just MMO's a very long time ago.

    image
    Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

  • WorstluckWorstluck the valley, CAMember Posts: 1,269

    Do you think maybe the developers/publishers have asked to be listed here on this website?

    image

  • evictonevicton Warren, PAMember Posts: 398

    Yeah I don't know why they have it on this site, however they do also cover world of tanks on here so if you have one you need to have the other, otherwise they'd be biased.

  • El-HefeEl-Hefe Yakima, WAMember Posts: 609

    if anything there helping to advertise the game by putting on this site.  i for one have never heard about it until now.

    I've got the straight edge.

  • neorandomneorandom bev hills, CAMember Posts: 1,681

    everyone in the world playing mwo will be in the "lobby" area and used to form the teams for matches = mmo

     

    mwo will give you xp as you play and level up in pilot and mech specific 50/50 split pools = rpg

     

    mmo + rpg = mmorpg

     

    its just as much of an mmorpg as eve/perpetuum/guild wars.  not having any pve doesnt disqualify it.

  • drbaltazardrbaltazar drummondville, QCMember Posts: 7,856 Uncommon

    i dont mind there being multiplayer online game, but you are right op!if it is a massivly multiplayer or multiplayer it should be mentioned cause game maker willfully blurre this like to make sure all game are included in the mmo genre,when we know full well that most title here are just mo at best and often are just role plating game (rpg)

    @mikeb:could you add a column on your gaming list saying if it is a mmo, a mo,massivly instanced,not massivly instanced! !to fix this issue once and for all!

    ps:and no please, dont use the game maker own description ,cause they  will all say their title are mmo!

  • Loke666Loke666 MalmöMember Posts: 19,282 Rare

    World of tanks is here and so is Diablo 3.

    But yeah, it ain´t a MMO. This site also have semi MMOs on them, and CORPGs.

  • Superduper69Superduper69 Aurora, INMember Posts: 363

    Everytime OP posts i can not help but ... /facepalm

    So much negativity about just everything.

  • KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLMember Posts: 22,808 Epic

    Originally posted by Unshra


    Originally posted by Fadedbomb


    It's the EXACT model as "World of Tanks"...

     

    So did you jump on the "World of Tanks" forums and make the same post or how about the "Torchlight 2" and "Diablo 3" forums? Point of fact, MMORPG.com has forums for games that are not MMO's because MMORPG.com stopped being about just MMO's a very long time ago.

    Truth.  I think that's because there hasn't been any proper MMORPG's created in such a very long time they had to branch out in order to broaden their readership.

    I'm guessing in a couple of years we'll have a sports games section here on the forums as well.

    I figure what the heck, people want to talk about something here, might as well let them.  Principals are for suckers, not businessmen.  image

     

    "Winning" at EVE Online since May, 2007! 

    In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon


  • PivotelitePivotelite Hamilton, ONMember Posts: 2,145 Uncommon

    Originally posted by Superduper69

    Everytime OP posts i can not help but ... /facepalm
    So much negativity about just everything.

     I think he is a farmer, he makes threads like this on every board...i'm glad I am not the only one who noticed.

    image

  • drbaltazardrbaltazar drummondville, QCMember Posts: 7,856 Uncommon

    i wonder if we made a spread sheet wich game he didnt make negative comment on!i bet we would probably end up with a specific corpration lol!

  • ToothmanToothman Greenfield, WIMember Posts: 75 Uncommon

    They did it as a personal affront to you.  Yes you are so important that the universe pauses repeatedly to see what you are saying about each and every subject you know nothing of.

  • CallsignVegaCallsignVega Chicago, ILMember Posts: 244 Uncommon

    Originally posted by neorandom

    everyone in the world playing mwo will be in the "lobby" area and used to form the teams for matches = mmo
     
    mwo will give you xp as you play and level up in pilot and mech specific 50/50 split pools = rpg
     
    mmo + rpg = mmorpg
     
    its just as much of an mmorpg as eve/perpetuum/guild wars.  not having any pve doesnt disqualify it.

    Wow, I dont think you have the faintest clue of what an MMORPG is. Going to a "lobby" to match make isn't even on the same planet as a MMORPG. I guess Counter-Strike: GO is a MMORPG too huh? 

    Some basic reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_game

     

    On a different note; really looking forward to this game! Although I was wishing for a Mech MMORPG, hopping into some matches online to smash mechs online like a FPS game still sounds fun. 

  • KuinnKuinn MestaMember Posts: 2,072 Uncommon

    It only bothers me because of the site name. Also because many games that are not mmorpgs are treated as (or almost as) mmorpgs. They should simply change it to something else like "multiplayer.com" or whatever similar name that is not taken already.

     

    The name currently is misleading and outright lying if you expect to find just mmorpgs here, and people are often uncertain about some games if they really are mmorpgs or not since every game gets dropped into the news feed just like the mmorpgs.

     

    It's not very good system, another solution would be to just create tabs on the front page for different genres and their news feeds, not mixing everything up without telling people which genre they belong to. I have no idea if individual new game titles are mmorpgs or not in this site, before I make my own research and that's kinda bummer on a site called "MMORPG.com".

     

    Only reason BF3 and COD3 etc are not on this site and listed is because of the FPSguru, otherwise they would be listed here too because they are just as much mmorpgs as WoT, MWO, Diablo 3, any MOBA etc. Any person thinking that a lobby + gaining XP makes a game a mmorpg is under heavy heavy delusions. They are instanced small scale scenario based multiplayer games. Even GW1 is admitted to not being a mmorpg by the fans of that game, so these lobby shooters with their tiny maps and no open access to the world sure as hell are nowhere near a MMORPG title.

  • ToothmanToothman Greenfield, WIMember Posts: 75 Uncommon

    Originally posted by Kuinn



    Only reason BF3 and COD3 etc are not on this site and listed is because of the FPSguru, otherwise they would be listed here too because they are just as much mmorpgs as WoT, MWO, Diablo 3, any MOBA etc. Any person thinking that a lobby + gaining XP makes a game a mmorpg is under heavy heavy delusions. They are instanced small scale scenario based multiplayer games. Even GW1 is admitted to not being a mmorpg by the fans of that game, so these lobby shooters with their tiny maps and no open access to the world sure as hell are nowhere near a MMORPG title.

    Actually WoT has a persistant world meta game and MWO will have one eventually also.  Just because you can't walk around it in your elf shooting magic missles doesn't mean it doesn't count.

  • LeetheLeethe Member Posts: 880 Uncommon

    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

     
    Didn't we have a whole lengthy discussion last year or so about how this site was posting information & forums about products that are NOT meant for an MMO site?
     

    And you obviously missed the part where the folks that run this place decided to broaden their scope and cover other online games as well. Get over it. There are plenty of other websites if you don't like it.

    There is NO miracle patch.

    95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

    Hope is not a stategy.
    ______________________________
    "This kind of topic is like one of those little cartoon boxes held up by a stick on a string, with a piece of meat under it. In other words, bait."

  • AsheramAsheram Member Posts: 2,053 Uncommon

    Best way to solve this dilemma is to start charging everyone a fee to use their website then at least all the complaining about what games they choose to post on THEIR website would be justified.

    image
  • fascismfascism marquette, MIMember Posts: 390 Uncommon

    more fist shaking please

  • MMOarQQMMOarQQ BoogalululuMember Posts: 636

    Gotta bitch gotta bitch gotta bitch...

  • neorandomneorandom bev hills, CAMember Posts: 1,681

    persistant galaxy conquering meta game based on outcomes of player matches says it is an mmorpg.  houses and clans will take worlds based on win ratios.

  • Chrome1980Chrome1980 LondonMember Posts: 511
    Originally posted by MMOarQQ
    Gotta bitch gotta bitch gotta bitch...

    Look who is talking lol

  • GadarethGadareth Westcliff-on-SeaMember Posts: 310 Uncommon

    Its simple reason this site is a place for fans of MMORPGs to gather and discuss the latest mmorpg stylr games. It is not limiting itself to JUST MMORPGs it also branches out to bring to our attention games which are similar to the mold.

    By this I mean games which we the mMORPG community will find of interest. Mechwarrior Online and World of Tanks are such games though they are not in themselves MMORPGS they do share certain characteristics. Such as a large online pool of players, the games being driven and played over the internet with character/vehicle development over time.

    Simply put MechWarrior online has a foum here because WE the community want it here.

     

     

     

  • eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Fresno, CAMember Posts: 2,414
    Originally posted by Gadareth
    Its simple reason this site is a place for fans of MMORPGs to gather and discuss the latest mmorpg stylr games. It is not limiting itself to JUST MMORPGs it also branches out to bring to our attention games which are similar to the mold. By this I mean games which we the mMORPG community will find of interest. Mechwarrior Online and World of Tanks are such games though they are not in themselves MMORPGS they do share certain characteristics. Such as a large online pool of players, the games being driven and played over the internet with character/vehicle development over time. Simply put MechWarrior online has a foum here because WE the community want it here.      

    Funny, I don't recall a vote.

    -Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

«1
This discussion has been closed.