Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Riccitiello Confirms 1.7 Million Subscribers

Comments

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Didn't they have 1.7 million subs in their first month?

Either SWTOR has a 100% retention rate, or they gained new subs equal to exactly what they lost.  Bizarre either way.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

Originally posted by elocke

Originally posted by William12

You people saying CEOs lie while true THEY DO NOT LIE on offical financial reports or to investors as often as you may pretend to think.   You cannot lie about something so easy to find out the truth about.  Do CEOs misrepresent themselfs sure ?  But they do not outright lie about offical numbers.  What they do is mix that data in with other parts of the company so no one notices that is not lying or illegal,  but it would be VERY illegal for them to say we have 1.7 mil Subscribers and not actually have that number in one way or another.    What do you people not get about that ?  He is giving an exact number CEOs DO NOT do that for investors when it would be so easy to get caught.

Not to mention Bioware and this game are a fraction of EAs revenue and business interest why would a CEO risk his job and freedom over such a small part of the company ? 

No, he didn't give an exact number.  He gave an estimate.  What don't YOU not get about that?

No he did not.  Learn to read.

Cowen and Company analyst Doug Creutz is estimating 2 million monthly subscribers by the end of June 2012.

Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello has told investors that BioWare's Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR) is up to nearly 1.7 million monthly subscribers as of the end of February.

A financial advsior estimated 2 million subs not the EA CEO.  The EA CEO clearly says near 1.7 mil subs at the end of feb so alittle over a week ago.  He gave an outright number HE did not estimate somebody who DOES NOT work for the company did.

Just to clarify http://www.cowen.com/ estimated 2 million players NOT EA.  

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

I believe he's telling the truth - and I'm (verifiably) no fan of SWTOR. I think the game was designed specifically to take the money of people who don't do their homework.

However, there's a distinct difference between "number of subscribers" and "number of people who continue to log into the game."  I let my World of Warcraft subscription continue for three months after I stopped playing. I just didn't remember to cancel it.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by wewter

hm .. maybe people DID stay past their 30days paid time included with the game.  The only reasons they would have done so, however, would have been if they [foolishly] bought into the multi-month game time card, or if they decided to play it out an extra month to see if anything changed before quitting for good.  

I was in the latter group.  Love SW to death, played swtor hoping that it would be everything KOTOR1+2 was in mmo form but in a new-generation format ... and after about 50 days wanted to punch every BioWare/EA dev who worked on this game in the face.

No seriously.  That's what you get for popping a squat and dumping all over the Star Wars IP.  Unforgiveable (imo).

P.S. I'll never buy another ea/bioware game again. me3/swtor sealed the f'ing deal on that one.  Period.

My wife,  son and I all set up fhe re-occuring 90 day payment set up. It hasn't ever been a problem in the past for checking out new games. This was the first mmo-rpg that we felt wasn't worth more then 60 days of play. So we three are counted for that past 30 day subscriber number  as well as the 90 day number. 

We might buy another Bioware game in the future but we won't go collectors edition next time nor will be fast to purchase the next release they put out. We'll wait a few months to read reivews and player feedback.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310

The vast majority of the posters on this site have already refuted the original 1.7M claim so it obviously can't be true now either.

Right?

Ya, I'll take this guys word over the opinions of those posting here.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

You people saying CEOs lie while true THEY DO NOT LIE on offical financial reports or to investors as often as you may pretend to think.   You cannot lie about something so easy to find out the truth about.  Do CEOs misrepresent themselfs sure ?  But they do not outright lie about offical numbers.  What they do is mix that data in with other parts of the company so no one notices that is not lying or illegal,  but it would be VERY illegal for them to say we have 1.7 mil Subscribers and not actually have that number in one way or another.    What do you people not get about that ?  He is giving an exact number CEOs DO NOT do that for investors when it would be so easy to get caught.

Not to mention Bioware and this game are a fraction of EAs revenue and business interest why would a CEO risk his job and freedom over such a small part of the company ? 

People who have been cancelled for days, weeks, even months but still have time on their accounts are considered "active subscriptions".

So yes, they can technically say "We have 1.7 million subscriptions", but they most definitely cannot say they have 1.7 million players. The sheer amount of dead/dying servers attest to that.

The sheer amount of dead/dying servers is none. You have no idea how many new subscribers there are either. It's not as if they stopped selling the game.

Log into the NA side during "peak" times, even on weekends, and glory in the number of "light" servers. There've been countless threads on the official forums for months asking for merges. Deny all you want, the game is treading water right now. And the longer they take to do merges and get the remaining pops all together so peole have others to play with, the further down the slope it's gonna go. Better hope a whole lot of Asians love Star Wars.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Kakkzooka

I believe he's telling the truth - and I'm (verifiably) no fan of SWTOR. I think the game was designed specifically to take the money of people who don't do their homework.

However, there's a distinct difference between "number of subscribers" and "number of people who continue to log into the game."  I let my World of Warcraft subscription continue for three months after I stopped playing. I just didn't remember to cancel it.

There's also a big difference in "paid" and "paying".

Ever wonder why there are so many well-paid attorneys out there on corporate payroll? Legal-speak is worth it's weight in gold, this thread is proof.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• alexminoalexmino Member Posts: 132

They would have more if they put a lfg in at launch instead of sticking to the rock stupid dark ages of sitting in one place and spamming chat for a group.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

Originally posted by alexmino

They would have more if they put a lfg in at launch instead of sticking to the rock stupid dark ages of sitting in one place and spamming chat for a group.

Thats what you get when you listen to the wow cry babys who think it ruined WOW.  If it ruined wow why are 10 million people still playing WOW.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by DarkPony

Less people than I expected before I played it. More people than I expected after I was done playing it.

i.e. Pretty impressive numbers / estimates in my book. But I wonder if it will remain as high the coming months though.

Wait a minute !

You are not playing SWTOR ?!!?

ROFL!

To think...one of the loudest fanboys. First to attack people like me, that were saying that SWTOR may not be that good.

Can I ask why did you leave the best MMO ever ?

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

If people think the timing of the free buddy key / trial release is a coincidence, that is not an accident either.

With Q1 ending in a few weeks, with all the trial accts being offered, EA/BW can "honestly" say... "We had x.x million subs in the month of March."

They will simply not differentiate between paying subs and trial (non-paying) subs.

And while technically not "lying" it will be omitting a very large and important point.

And it will also be a way to hide the decrease in paying subs since launch.

This is all a planned corporate strategy from "go".

Originally posted by Burntvet

If people think the timing of the free buddy key / trial release is a coincidence, that is not an accident either.

With Q1 ending in a few weeks, with all the trial accts being offered, EA/BW can "honestly" say... "We had x.x million subs in the month of March."

They will simply not differentiate between paying subs and trial (non-paying) subs.

And while technically not "lying" it will be omitting a very large and important point.

And it will also be a way to hide the decrease in paying subs since launch.

This is all a planned corporate strategy from "go".

Yep, another good point. EAware WILL count those trials as "active subs", bet on it.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

No, he didn't give an exact number.  He gave an estimate.  What don't YOU not get about that?

He didn't give an estimate, he said near 1.7 million, which means its under 1.7 mil and he rounded up. The only estimates from this article came from a seperate industry analyst that estimated it will reach 2 million by june 2012. No where in the ceo's statement did he mention anything about estimating.

• ZhauricZhauric Member UncommonPosts: 292

Originally posted by Myria

ToR doing well?

Not possible, I didn't like it!!11!!!11!!one!!!

Obviously the anecdotal evidence and (lol) Xfire numbers poured over by the "experts" of mmorpg.com trumps anything a CEO might say!

*laughs* Pretty much how it is around here. Folks get bent out of shape if a game they don't enjoy shows even an inkling of success and if you enjoy it you are fanboy or whatever. Don't get why folks think it is better to bash the hell out of a game instead of just moving on or hoping it improves so we have more choices out there.

I'm still playing and enjoying myself and that's all it boils down for me. I will still try GW2 when it comes out and most likely Archage and TSW. Why? I like to enjoy myself and don't have this need to have one game being better than the other. I just want to have fun. Period. If a game doesn't fit my needs, I shrug, wish it the best and move on. I will keep an eye on it though to see if they improve it and I'll go back. None of this crap about 'Oh no I hated it when it released and you failed to meet my extremely high expectations so die in flames!!!!'

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

1.7 mil? Hmm, guess that means I should re-subscribe huh?

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by evicton

He didn't give an estimate, he said near 1.7 million, which means its under 1.7 mil and he rounded up. The only estimates from this article came from a seperate industry analyst that estimated it will reach 2 million by june 2012. No where in the ceo's statement did he mention anything about estimating.

I think some of you are having a difficult time understanding the definition of estimate lol.

Boggles the mind.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

No he did not.  Learn to read.

Cowen and Company analyst Doug Creutz is estimating 2 million monthly subscribers by the end of June 2012.

Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello has told investors that BioWare's Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR) is up to nearly 1.7 million monthly subscribers as of the end of February.

A financial advsior estimated 2 million subs not the EA CEO.  The EA CEO clearly says near 1.7 mil subs at the end of feb so alittle over a week ago.  He gave an outright number HE did not estimate somebody who DOES NOT work for the company did.

Just to clarify http://www.cowen.com/ estimated 2 million players NOT EA.  

Technically, we are both wrong, as we don't have a transcript of what Ricitiello himself stated, but I admit, I was reading the "estimate" stuff from that Cowen guy and was referring to that, mainly. 

Either way, like others have stated, this doesn't account for anyone not playing the game who still has time left on their sub. But these guys don't care about that, they just care about the $ coming in per month.  Which is one of the main issues with this genre these days.  I really hope GW2 takes the gameworld by storm JUST to prove to these corporate schills that money should not be the end-goal when creating entertainment for profit.

• n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

The vast majority of the posters on this site have already refuted the original 1.7M claim so it obviously can't be true now either.

Right?

Nah posters here are just not gullible enough (any more?) to believe everything this or other CEO says. Shows some independent thinking imho.

We saw how capable they are in hyping  and showing numbers before the release.

Originally posted by Zhauric

Originally posted by Myria

ToR doing well?

Not possible, I didn't like it!!11!!!11!!one!!!

Obviously the anecdotal evidence and (lol) Xfire numbers poured over by the "experts" of mmorpg.com trumps anything a CEO might say!

*laughs* Pretty much how it is around here. Folks get bent out of shape if a game they don't enjoy shows even an inkling of success and if you enjoy it you are fanboy or whatever. Don't get why folks think it is better to bash the hell out of a game instead of just moving on or hoping it improves so we have more choices out there.

I'm still playing and enjoying myself and that's all it boils down for me. I will still try GW2 when it comes out and most likely Archage and TSW. Why? I like to enjoy myself and don't have this need to have one game being better than the other. I just want to have fun. Period. If a game doesn't fit my needs, I shrug, wish it the best and move on. I will keep an eye on it though to see if they improve it and I'll go back. None of this crap about 'Oh no I hated it when it released and you failed to meet my extremely high expectations so die in flames!!!!'

I really despise League of Legends as a game, but I'm not all bent out of shape over it.  Of course, that's because the game delivers on what it is selling, as opposed to SWTOR who "claimed" to have all 4 pillars of MMORPGs in their game, but really only has 1(story).  So saying this game is successful, is bad for the genre to be honest.  But whatever, time will tell the tale once we get into the 4th quarter of the year and more big name MMOs have launched, then we'll see what numbers Ricitiello decides to spin.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i would like to know what do businessmen really mean when they refer to "the vast majority".... you see, when a produc is advertised for example, for less than $10 bucks, its usually $9.99. WHen its advertised for less than $50, its usually 49.99, and so on... SO, when they refer to the vast majority of people do they really mean a number close to 100%? or maybe just a bit more than half playerbase lol.....

these people are the only ones who know the exactly ammount going on.... but they will never tell the exact number. Unless someone breaks in and leaks the info...

sorry for typos or runnons :/

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

Originally posted by Zekiah

Originally posted by evicton

I think some of you are having a difficult time understanding the definition of estimate lol.

Boggles the mind.

And just under your post. The guy admits he was reading the article wrong.

Boggles the mind.

Originally posted by rojo6934

i would like to know what do businessmen really mean when they refer to "the vast majority".... you see, when a produc is advertised for example, for less than $10 bucks, its usually $9.99. WHen its advertised for less than $50, its usually 49.99, and so on... SO, when they refer to the vast majority of people do they really mean a number close to 100%? or maybe just a bit more than half playerbase lol.....

these people are the only ones who know the exactly ammount going on.... but they will never tell the exact number. Unless someone breaks in and leaks the info...

Hehe, I just had a thought.  I wish Anonymous would do this instead of just hacking into the game companies and having them shutdown, hack into them and find out the "REAL" numbers.  Do this for every type of commodity out there so we the customer can truly see who is being raked over the coals or not.

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Originally posted by Zekiah

Originally posted by Kakkzooka

There's also a big difference in "paid" and "paying".

Ever wonder why there are so many well-paid attorneys out there on corporate payroll? Legal-speak is worth it's weight in gold, this thread is proof.

As I'm an attorney, I'm very familiar with it. image

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Originally posted by n3v3rriv3r

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Right?

Nah posters here are just not gullible enough (any more?) to believe everything this or other CEO says. Shows some independent thinking imho.

We saw how capable they are in hyping  and showing numbers before the release.

Instead they'll just throw out statements from people who actually have the numbers and know what they are talking about and insist their own are more accurate.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4

Originally posted by rojo6934

Hehe, I just had a thought.  I wish Anonymous would do this instead of just hacking into the game companies and having them shutdown, hack into them and find out the "REAL" numbers.  Do this for every type of commodity out there so we the customer can truly see who is being raked over the coals or not.

I support this motion.