Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Think RIFT can Sue? lol

JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Ok so in the new content patch for TERA, they added a RIFT. It's exactly as you saw in the game, RIFT. Think Trion has a basis to sue? Or not really because it's in a different country? I don't know how that works.

I'm not upset, Rifts were fun in Rift, and I'm sure they'll be even more fun in TERA. I just thought it was funny.

Comments

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Its called Nexus, and the word rift can't be trademarked or anything coz its too commonly used so no they can't sue.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Its called Nexus, and the word rift can't be trademarked or anything coz its too commonly used so no they can't sue.

Cool. I think it'll be interesting with how TERAs combat is. I'm sure I'll participate =)

i want to as well but my computer freaken hates KTera, i play for 2-3hrs it overheats and shuts down. NA Tera i play for 15hrs stright nothing happens Q_Q

i want to as well but my computer freaken hates KTera, i play for 2-3hrs it overheats and shuts down. NA Tera i play for 15hrs stright nothing happens Q_Q

That's odd =/. Oh well, CBT this weekend! You in?

• hotixhotix Member UncommonPosts: 130

Hotx the archer and Hotix the zerker are in!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by hotix

Hotx the archer and Hotix the zerker are in!!!!!!!!

I'm still not sure what I want to main. Either a Priest or a Lancer I think, or an Archer. They all look good =/

Ofc pre-ordered like less than a week after they announced it, only waited coz i wanted a physical CE but that didn't work out o well saved 20 bucks XD

For me lancer all the way love tanking ^_^ pratice my twitch block with god eater burst XD lot harder to twitch block when your enemy move so much and you have like 1s cast time on your block but good pratice none the less at reading monster movement. Man i want to fight a hannibel in Tera.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by Jimmydean

Ok so in the new content patch for TERA, they added a RIFT. It's exactly as you saw in the game, RIFT. Think Trion has a basis to sue? Or not really because it's in a different country? I don't know how that works.

I'm not upset, Rifts were fun in Rift, and I'm sure they'll be even more fun in TERA. I just thought it was funny.

Seriously it is called a Nexus and secondly, they have had these monster invasions in the development plan since 2010...

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Rift developers can sue Tera for the "rifts" as much as WARhammer developers can sue Guild Wars 2 developers for the dynamic events and the three faction PvP.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

This is what "rift" means:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rift

maybe ARENA NET want to sue TERA too, after all there is "guild wars" on TERA  image

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

Orly...

RIFT

© 2012 Trion Worlds, Inc. Trion, Trion Worlds, RIFT, Rift: Planes of Telara, Telara, and their respective logos, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Trion Worlds, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries. All other trademarks and logos belong to their respective owners. All rights reserved.

Sorry but "RIFT" is a trade mark :)

• CailiegCailieg Member Posts: 85

Originally posted by DOGMA1138

Orly...

RIFT

© 2012 Trion Worlds, Inc. Trion, Trion Worlds, RIFT, Rift: Planes of Telara, Telara, and their respective logos, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Trion Worlds, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries. All other trademarks and logos belong to their respective owners. All rights reserved.

You do realize that the RIFT you have mentioned as Trademarked is in ALL CAPS. Because it is a PRODUCT TITLE.

Yes they managed to Trademark RIFT, no, they cannot trademark rift. Excepting when it is followed by ":Planes of Telara"

One is a product title the other a word in the English language, which is why they use caps in the TM.

Alexis

*smiles*

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Orly...

RIFT

Dogma1138 Rift isn't trademarked but RIFT is, big difference.

hah got beat to it, dogma1138-self-fail.

I guess games blatantly steal features from other developers all of the time. Note: World of Warcraft. Hopefully TERA will build upon RIFTs "rifts" with their Nexus feature, rather than just copy it.

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

Originally posted by Cailieg

Orly...

RIFT

You do realize that the RIFT you have mentioned as Trademarked is in ALL CAPS. Because it is a PRODUCT TITLE.

Yes they managed to Trademark RIFT, no, they cannot trademark rift. Excepting when it is followed by ":Planes of Telara"

One is a product title the other a word in the English language, which is why they use caps in the TM.

Alexis

*smiles*

No shit, they still cant put RIFT or Rift in the title or advertise that word in any association to the game with out Trion having atleast some leeway to suing them.

Blizzard is suing Valve for DOTA for much less, If tera desides to put rift any where on the box or in the title they can get sued.

There are copy right laws against abusing similarities in trade marks and logos, if they can prove that with in the context in which TERA/2Frog or who ever  representing the word "rift" can create confusion and make some one think that TERA is or has any thing to do with RIFT or Trion.

Its pretty much in the same way  that Pepsi cant make a Pepsi zero, or Coca Cola cnat make Coke MAX with out getting their asses sued by the other.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

why cant someone sue over Orcs

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

Orly...

RIFT

yes, rift in this case is a trade mark, but only as a game name. No one can use rift as a game name, at least in all countrys where is registed.

But this is not the case, the word rift have other meanings beside the name of a game.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Lol, didn´t TRION themselves had the same problem?

RIFTS is a trademark owned by Palladium games. If Rift can use that they shouldn´t whine about this

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Considering the pen and paper RPG game RIFTS tried to sue when RIFT came out and has not yet succeded. . . I don't think there is much hope there.

Bah LOKE beat me to it. . there are acual forum posts of people assuming RIFT was based on the pen and paper game.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

A rift is something which existed before Rift so I dont think they have any basis for a law suite.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Raymond Fiest started the Rift War saga (all about RIFTS being used to cross worlds) in 1981-82ish. Can he get a piece of the action?

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205

Aion had/has Rifts?! I think that clears up Tera's Rift naming issue, not that there EVER WAS ONE! /close

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• ShadowdawnzShadowdawnz Member UncommonPosts: 201

I HIGHLY doubt Trion can sue another company because they have "rifts" IN their game.. which btw, are not called "rifts". Every game that is created, is a foundation for another game to build upon. En Masse will not put  the word "rift" or "Rift" or "RIFT" anywhere on their product. 

Most likely not....

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Think if i made a game with "Photon-sabers" lucas arts woudnt sue?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by Mellkor

Think if i made a game with "Photon-sabers" lucas arts woudnt sue?

Are you people all new to the genre? MMOs have been exchanging features for years now. WoW, the biggest culprit of them all has been shamelessly copying what others were doing and presenting them sometimes even before they launched their own games.

No, Rift can't sue. Just look at Rift itself, it shares so many features with WoW and other games, if sueing was that easy, there would be no WoW "clones" unsued (if that is an actual word).

Edit: Want to bet the next WoW expansion will have dynamic events similar to GW2?