Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is why I play EVE! EPIC!!!! Check out the video!

13»

Comments

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by simmihi

Well, that must've been the best EvE video i ever seen, too bad that's probably not what most people experience in the game. Unfortunately, after trying to get into the game multiple times, i've found this guy here being right:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/208-Eve-Online

Of course that was the experience they had if they had the same mentality of the guy in that video you posted.  He refused to join a player corp and didn't want to read the skill descriptions to understand what they meant.  Such players should stay in WoW where they will be successful.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Originally posted by Khaeros

That video is accurate for Rooks maybe.  This is standard procedure for most MMORPG.com users.

If you don't like mining then why do you do it?  Nobody is forcing you to mine.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Originally posted by Rusque

Originally posted by dave6660

Originally posted by Kiljaedenas

Originally posted by Mad+Dog

eve = very borrring combat.

Did you even watch the video? What are you expecting, some button mashing extravaganza a-la Devil May Cry or God of War? Do you have any idea how tense things can get in that kind of fighting when you're trying to out-think and out-fight an intelligent opponent that isn't some brainless computer entity?

Actually that's exactly what they're expecting.  You're trying to explain chess to the checkers crowd.

Don't flatter yourself. EVE is hardly chess, and if it's combat had anywhere near the depth that people like to pretend it does, I'd be gladly playing it.

I take it you have little to no experience with the higher levels of combat and combat tactics employed on the battlefield by some of the more advanced entities in the game.

Thought so.

Eve is more chess than many other games out there.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4

Originally posted by TdogSkal

I want to like EvE, I really really do and I have tried it so many different times and different ways.  Joining different types of corps including the EvE Univeristy which is very helpful.   I always end up getting into a clan that decides to move to a new "home" base and it takes forever to move all my crap and then I get bored and quit.   I just want to find a place where I can log on and join a group for whatever like I used to do in EQ.

Everytime I come back to play, I get it into my head I want to play a SB and then as I am working towards it I ask questions about them and never like the answer or the role that SBs play.  No idea how they play now since I have not given EVE a shot in a year or more.

This video is cool, might give EVE another try this weekend.   I want to like this game, it is what I want in a game.  Player choice, Player freedom and a good Risk/Reward system.   Any Clan/Guilds looking for a newbie to train.

Moving is a pain in Eve.  Logistics is meant to be a big part of the game.  Fortunately there are ways to minimize the pain of moving.  You can either sell most of your assets and re-buy everything once you get to your new home (I've done this once).  Or you can hire a freight corp to move your stuff for you.  There was a corp called Red Frog (they're probably still around) who were in the moving business.  They had a solid reputation and I knew people who used them and always received great service.

-- Herman Melville

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I've never played EVE, but I bothered to watch that entire video.  It was pretty damn impressive.  Top notch writing, music and video editing.  I loved the RP and sense of immersion.  While I'd love to participate in an MMO story of that scale, I don't think I quite have the time to ever become that dedicated to a game.  

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

It was a very well-put-together video.  Basically, what I got from it, was that one side discovered a broken game mechanic, and was using it to their advantage (negative angular velocity, etc.) until someone else came along and out min/maxed them.  The dice-rolling thing just doesn't cut it for me, not because I side with Einstein in that everything is deterministic, but because the whole thing just sounds so damn counter-intuitive.  I suppose if you were playing the game for years, it could be exciting to discover how another team was exploiting the game, but it seems like kind of a stretch (reverse engineer? really?).

"Its physicaly and mentaly impossible for the human body and mind to control a ship and evey system running it."

Care to point me to the starship?  What makes you think running a ship wouldn't be just like running the human body?  Why wouldn't humans continue to evolve along with their technology, such that more powerful technology becomes simpler and more intuitive to use?

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• gimmesomegimmesome Member Posts: 362

Originally posted by Zaltark

Stealth Bombers have a very specific role. But the skillsets needed to fly it can be used for a range of things. I use the covert ops ability for my cloaking device and run around lowsec scanning down radar/magni sites for money. Aiming to fly a ship is good. Aiming to fill a role (no matter the ship) is better.

The orange part is very important in terms of figuring out how to enjoy EVE.

For a long time, I made the mistake of training my character and spending isk based on what ships I wanted before knowing why I wanted them.

Don't only look at how cool ships look, or how much dmg they do, or how big they are... first you gotta spread out and experience the different activities and lifestyles you could do in EVE.   Figure out what you like doing, and/or what you want to do down the road.  Once that is out of the way, the ships that work best for you to accomplish these things in will be easy to decide on. 

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

Originally posted by simmihi

Well, that must've been the best EvE video i ever seen, too bad that's probably not what most people experience in the game. Unfortunately, after trying to get into the game multiple times, i've found this guy here being right:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/208-Eve-Online

Hell ya that has to be one of the most hilarious reviews I have seen in a long time. I tried Eve a couple of times and still never got into it but damn that was funny.

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

I am doing the trial right now. All I can say about it is..The jury is still out. I see many things I like and some I don't in the end, I'll have to weigh them together and see if this game is where I want to invest my personal time or not.

As far as spreadsheets go, I have 2 words"

Elitist Jerks.

A "theory crafting" site that uses spread sheets and for WoW of all games, so back off the EVE gamers.

Someone mentioned in the thread about another game like EVE. Tecnically there is.

It's called Perpetuum. Instead of piloting a space ship, you pilot a mech planet side, otherwise, it was designed as an EVE clone.

From what I understand, It started out well, but populations started to drop off shortly there after.

• gimmesomegimmesome Member Posts: 362

@Yizle:

Yeah, that's a pretty fair assessment after trial experience.     

What is it that you most enjoy, and that you dislike the most about EVE so far?

• JacobXJacobX Member Posts: 26

I guess a lot of the newer, less sophisiticated gamers are satisfied seeing mindless blobs of ships go boom. *shrug*

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

Originally posted by JacobX

I guess a lot of the newer, less sophisiticated gamers are satisfied seeing mindless blobs of ships go boom. *shrug*

True because if you are mindless trying to fly ships in EVE you will most certainly go boom.

(or are you saying older, more sophisticated gamers prefer panda bears in space ???)   J/K

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by Rusque

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Watching, reading, or thinking about EVE is far more entertaining than playing EVE. I love this stuff, but trying to play that game is like pulling teeth, just sooo boring.

I concur. Every time I see a video like the one in this thread I want to go back, but as soon as I see the eye-blistering UI, I feel like I'm back at the office crunching numbers. Cool that so many folks love EVE - I too love seeing these videos and such. But for me, EVE holds all the excitment of staring at, well... an Excel spreadsheet.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.