Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think Bioware just proved something...

Comments

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by Kaijin2k3

To the people saying ME3 is a perfect or awesome addition to the series, are you guys really not bothered by just how much Shepard responds with no player input?

By the reduced dialogue choices?

By the pacing of the story and how it cuts to different places so much?

By the god awful squadmate AI pathfinding (do you guys know how many times I've seen them go completely around the map just to get to a spot 2 feet in front of me?)

I won't agree with 0 score or anything, but I think dismissing any negative feelings towards this entry as simply haters or bandwagon people is way too extreme. There are things I'm enjoying of ME3, but I definitely think there's some really bad flaws in the game. Some people may not care about these particular flaws - and that's fine - but I can see how some people see these flaws as game breaking to them.

Personally, Shepard auto responding so damn much has completely ruined my sense that this is my Shepard. And that was a core part of the original vision for this series.

As I said in my post, sometimes it is good, sometimes bad (the "movie" feel.)  There's more than enough ways this remains "my" Shepard.  I really don't see my "dialogue" choices being reduced that much.  There is more dialogue, sometimes too much, but that isn't ipso facto a reduction of my choice.

And if we are talking about godawful squadmate AI, that's been a problem the entire series.  It's a step above ME1, which had terribad squad AI.  ME2 wasn't much better.  Squadmates have always been there for micromanaging their powers, and relying on some of their passive stat bonuses ( a la Miranda's stat bonuses, the only reason she was ever worth taking along.)

If you say you loved the first two games, and then act like ME3 introduced terrible squad AI, I would only ask "where have you been the last two games?"

Originally posted by BenedictXV

To the people saying ME3 is a perfect or awesome addition to the series, are you guys really not bothered by just how much Shepard responds with no player input?

By the reduced dialogue choices?

By the pacing of the story and how it cuts to different places so much?

By the god awful squadmate AI pathfinding (do you guys know how many times I've seen them go completely around the map just to get to a spot 2 feet in front of me?)

I won't agree with 0 score or anything, but I think dismissing any negative feelings towards this entry as simply haters or bandwagon people is way too extreme. There are things I'm enjoying of ME3, but I definitely think there's some really bad flaws in the game. Some people may not care about these particular flaws - and that's fine - but I can see how some people see these flaws as game breaking to them.

Personally, Shepard auto responding so damn much has completely ruined my sense that this is my Shepard. And that was a core part of the original vision for this series.

Is it just me or people hate on SWTOR because there is way too much voice over and convo, and now they hate on Me3 cuz there is far too less convo... I think i am getting on something now...

How about one is a single player, one purports to be an MMO?  Completely unrelated games.

Besides, the dialogue in TOR is incredibly boring.

Though I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the dream sequence as something they hate about the game.  They completely overdid a powerful moment at the start of the game, and keep drawing it out trying to establish an emotional connection..... and it just flops.

If there's one story mechanic I'd criticize so far, it would be this.

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Originally posted by iceman00

And if we are talking about godawful squadmate AI, that's been a problem the entire series.  It's a step above ME1, which had terribad squad AI.  ME2 wasn't much better.  Squadmates have always been there for micromanaging their powers, and relying on some of their passive stat bonuses ( a la Miranda's stat bonuses, the only reason she was ever worth taking along.)

I used the move command extensively in both ME1 and 2, and I've been doing so in 3. At no point in the other two games did i witness my squadmates take ridiculous detours that takes them completely around the entire battlefield as often.

ME2 had problems where they wouldn't "attach" to the cover even if you tell to stand RIGHT next to it. And they did suffer the problem of taking weird paths, but nowhere near as often as I'm seeing in ME3.

ME1's problems came when they wouldn't go precisely where you told them to go. They'd attempt to find some cover and sometimes end up in a spot too far away. Or you'd get the dreaded "I can't get there," despite the path being completely clear.

Despite the problems I saw in 1 and 2, I find the pathfinding in 3 to be incredibly bad. However, If you simply don't bother with move commands and just let them stay on "regroup" mode, then there not as bad; I'll concede this.

On another note, there's been a few times where my squaddies just disappeared. I could still access their powers, but I would not be able to find them anywhere on the field, and they wouldn't do anything when given the attack order.

The rest of your post is your opinion that it's not as bad. For me, it does make me feel completely seperated that it's not "my" Shepard. You and others may feel differently. But I know I'm also not alone.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by Meerkat93

Originally posted by alkarionlog

That no matter how good you game is, the internet will still hate it. 

I mean FFS since when did optional content mean the difference between one of the greatest games ever made and a 2.2 on metacritic?

You guys did a good job coming up with excuses for TOR and Ill give you DA2, but FUCK YOU INTERNET ME3 is right up there with Skyrim and Half-Life 2.

so that day one DLC don't bother you at all? not even a little?

Not any more then when GW1 was selling Mission packs.

The idea that a game is (quality wise) worse because of optional content is idiotic.

You mean the mission packs that were released in the middle of the expansion and had nothing to do with the main storyline? Yeah totally the same as holding back launch content that is already on the disc and selling it as DLC.

I used the move command extensively in both ME1 and 2, and I've been doing so in 3. At no point in the other two games did i witness my squadmates take ridiculous detours that takes them completely around the entire battlefield as often.

ME2 had problems where they wouldn't "attach" to the cover even if you tell to stand RIGHT next to it. And they did suffer the problem of taking weird paths, but nowhere near as often as I'm seeing in ME3.

ME1's problems came when they wouldn't go precisely where you told them to go. They'd attempt to find some cover and sometimes end up in a spot too far away. Or you'd get the dreaded "I can't get there," despite the path being completely clear.

Despite the problems I saw in 1 and 2, I find the pathfinding in 3 to be incredibly bad. However, If you simply don't bother with move commands and just let them stay on "regroup" mode, then there not as bad; I'll concede this.

On another note, there's been a few times where my squaddies just disappeared. I could still access their powers, but I would not be able to find them anywhere on the field, and they wouldn't do anything when given the attack order.

The rest of your post is your opinion that it's not as bad. For me, it does make me feel completely seperated that it's not "my" Shepard. You and others may feel differently. But I know I'm also not alone.

The "disappear" thing, I actually noticed it once today.  Not sure what happened.  (Would say what character it is, but I'd rather not do a spoil).  Whenever I pressed C they found their way back to me.  Maybe a graphics glitch but dunno.  Had to adjust a bit of tactics on the fly, which was a bit aggrivating.

I guess I've just never been impressed with the squad AI mechanics, for the reasons you mentioned, and others.  I just tend to price it into the stock. I'm not going to get Gears of War out of this series.  For some reason Bioware seems incapable of making intuitive balanced squadmates.  Ironically, the one game they did have a relatively intelligent squad AI was DA2..... and everything else about the game was worse.

The "disappear" thing, I actually noticed it once today.  Not sure what happened.  (Would say what character it is, but I'd rather not do a spoil).  Whenever I pressed C they found their way back to me.  Maybe a graphics glitch but dunno.  Had to adjust a bit of tactics on the fly, which was a bit aggrivating.

I guess I've just never been impressed with the squad AI mechanics, for the reasons you mentioned, and others.  I just tend to price it into the stock. I'm not going to get Gears of War out of this series.  For some reason Bioware seems incapable of making intuitive balanced squadmates.  Ironically, the one game they did have a relatively intelligent squad AI was DA2..... and everything else about the game was worse.

It's happened to 100% of the time in one specific battle I've had, and sprinkled in and out throughout others. Very annoying since I use some of my teammates as vanguards >(

But anyways, fair enough on not being generally impressed. I got used to the quirks of 1 and 2's to the point where I could use the move/regroup commands effectively to get them to go where I needed them to.

I'll eventually get it down in 3, i think, but I can't help but notice their pathfinding is worse. They're a lot better in other areas, though.

Anyways, that's still besides the point of my post :P In that, it's a bit extreme of some people to just brush off any negative feelings as haters and people hopping on the bandwagons. Even if one doesn't find the listed flaws as experience crippling, doesn't mean that others don't or shouldn't. The exact opposite is true, of course.

It's happened to 100% of the time in one specific battle I've had, and sprinkled in and out throughout others. Very annoying since I use some of my teammates as vanguards >(

But anyways, fair enough on not being generally impressed. I got used to the quirks of 1 and 2's to the point where I could use the move/regroup commands effectively to get them to go where I needed them to.

I'll eventually get it down in 3, i think, but I can't help but notice their pathfinding is worse. They're a lot better in other areas, though.

Anyways, that's still besides the point of my post :P In that, it's a bit extreme of some people to just brush off any negative feelings as haters and people hopping on the bandwagons. Even if one doesn't find the listed flaws as experience crippling, doesn't mean that others don't or shouldn't. The exact opposite is true, of course.

That much we can agree on.  Said elsewhere, I'd give the game an 8.  I'd give ME a 9.4 and ME2 a 9.5.  I liked em both.  Yet there were some subtle things changed in ME3 I really don't like.

- The reaper scan minigame, seriously who thought this would make things fun?

- Not being able to holster your weapon.  Okay, really minor, but it just looks dumb.

- messed up quest journal.  You have to walk around everywhere, and hope you get lucky to overhear a quest.  Yet you don't click on the person (or spacebar I should say), so you aren't sure what is and isn't a quest.  Then the sorting is horrible (tough to tell what is active and what isn't), there is no longer a "mission" button you can press that gives you a little bit of guidance (even if it didn't always work in ME2 it still was handy.)  And the sidequests really don't branch out into other story arcs.  In ME1, you spoke to Admiral Kohaku (sp?), and what was originally a simple mission turned out into a pretty nice branch of 5-6 quests.

I think you have a lot of biodrones who will praise anything bioware makes.  And you will also have people who listen to the dumbest of things (it only takes 15 hours to complete!) devoid of any real context, to where it is just nerdraging.

Then you have the fans and detractors who actually have played the game, and can offer interesting arguments pro and con.  Like you, why I'm responding.  ;)

That much we can agree on.  Said elsewhere, I'd give the game an 8.  I'd give ME a 9.4 and ME2 a 9.5.  I liked em both.  Yet there were some subtle things changed in ME3 I really don't like.

- The reaper scan minigame, seriously who thought this would make things fun?

- Not being able to holster your weapon.  Okay, really minor, but it just looks dumb.

- messed up quest journal.  You have to walk around everywhere, and hope you get lucky to overhear a quest.  Yet you don't click on the person (or spacebar I should say), so you aren't sure what is and isn't a quest.  Then the sorting is horrible (tough to tell what is active and what isn't), there is no longer a "mission" button you can press that gives you a little bit of guidance (even if it didn't always work in ME2 it still was handy.)  And the sidequests really don't branch out into other story arcs.  In ME1, you spoke to Admiral Kohaku (sp?), and what was originally a simple mission turned out into a pretty nice branch of 5-6 quests.

I think you have a lot of biodrones who will praise anything bioware makes.  And you will also have people who listen to the dumbest of things (it only takes 15 hours to complete!) devoid of any real context, to where it is just nerdraging.

Then you have the fans and detractors who actually have played the game, and can offer interesting arguments pro and con.  Like you, why I'm responding.  ;)

Hear hear!

Though you're more generous on the scores than I :P I'd probably give between an 8.5 to 9.0 for ME1 and 2 (though I liked 1 the most).

So far, 18 hours into ME3, I'd give it a 7 to 7.5. I think it's still fun overall, but could have used some more attention in areas. And yeah, a lot of smaller issues that you've mentioned detract from the overall experience (and bugs! I'm encountering so many bugs! Like the music keeps cutting out when combat hits... it takes a lot away from it ><)

• RoutverRoutver Member Posts: 383

Major lulz from the thread starter... ME3 up there with HL2.

Good to know you're an EA shareholder.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by Rusque

Originally posted by dougmysticey

I was reading that ME3's meta-critic score is such because of something called a critic-bomb which is an organized group bent on giving low score to certain publisher games etc.

Not sure of how valid this is but seems to make some sense. I am no where near completion but ME3 seems pretty darn good so far.

Sounds like a conspiracy theory. You're suggesting that there's an organized group of gamers (a large one at that) who just want to badmouth certain companies?

Who would put forth the effort to pull this together for zero personal gain?  I'm not saying it's impossible, just a bit far fetched.

What's more likely is that expectations and value played a large role in how people reviewed the game.

The more you expect a game to fulfill all your wildest gaming dreams, the harder you're crushed when it fails to live up to expectations.  Same thing happened with the Star Wars prequels.  Before they came out, fans everywhere were hyped to no end (myself included), but the anger, confusion, and resentment that came after episode 1 was so large you'd think a terrorist attack just happened.

On top of that you have value. At $60 + sub MMO's, in general, have a lot to live up to value-wise.  And these players who were fully expecting to spend the next 3-5 years playing this game discovered that they didn't want to spend more than a few weeks playing are now questioning everything they thought and are upset that they let themselves get suckered. So they lash out, even if they aren't being totally realistic, because they're comparing what they got to what they wanted to get.

Take a game like Trine. At $10-$15 it's a great indie game, very fun. But if it were priced at $50-$60, then it would be considered extremely shallow and a fairly pathetic offering as it would be compared to other powerhouse titles that release at that price.

Look at some smart devs, those of Torchlight 2. It's not going to cost as much as D3, because if it does, then it will be compared directly (meaning, with a greater degree of scrutiny) with D3 than it currently will be.  And if D3 doesn't deliver, then you'll have a huge mass of people wanting blood (probably myself included) for not living up to the franchise.

Torchlight 2 has a much lower bar to pass, it just has to be better than the first Torchlight, which was okay, but overall fairly average (below D2 imo). And due to its lower cost, even someone like me who is clearly a Diablo fan, will still want to buy and enjoy T2. Basically, it's difficult for them to screw up.

That's why you see people say, "Don't overhype!" Once you do, people will compare your product to the expectations you set for them instead of reality. A great example is Xyson. If they had been honest and said, help us grow to achieve these things, but it will be rough at first. They might have had a cult following rooting for them.  Instead they post their insane laundry list of features, and fail at launching.

Were you around here when NGE hit?

Folks in the SWG forums were talking about things they were pulling to affect SOE and their parent company Sony. Some were even going so far as to either hide, or flat out destroy game boxes in stores.

Finding out that some like minded individuals wanna cause problems for something they dont like isnt some new amazing discovery. A few GW 2 fans are a shimning example in the TOR forums currently, and at least one of them is in this thread to once again attack BW.

I think they should be more concerned about their PTW GW2 title that still has more room to fuck up further. Then again, that is my opinion.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

I mean FFS since when did optional content mean the difference between one of the greatest games ever made and a 2.2 on metacritic?

You guys did a good job coming up with excuses for TOR and Ill give you DA2, but FUCK YOU INTERNET ME3 is right up there with Skyrim and Half-Life 2.

and only think bioware proves me is when a bigger company buy a good small one, they really mess things up.

Ahh another one of the  mentally challenged people. Again the DLC was Optional and if you bought the CE then you got it free, What they did was offer you countless mindless whiners a chance to get the extra mission and pack from CE if you were not able to or did not want to get a copy of the CE. I would rather moronic lemmings like you just not play games if all you know how to do is complain about something that deserves no complaints.

Do not want the CE and the extra stuff such as the Ashes pack then do not buy it. Or even better the game at all.

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

Originally posted by Yizle

and only think bioware proves me is when a bigger company buy a good small one, they really mess things up.

Ahh another one of the  mentally challenged people. Again the DLC was Optional and if you bought the CE then you got it free, What they did was offer you countless mindless whiners a chance to get the extra mission and pack from CE if you were not able to or did not want to get a copy of the CE. I would rather moronic lemmings like you just not play games if all you know how to do is complain about something that deserves no complaints.

Do not want the CE and the extra stuff such as the Ashes pack then do not buy it. Or even better the game at all.

It might have been better pr. If they just left it in the CE for a month or two then let it become available. Not like it seems to affect much other then forum posts. My impressions was the game had more preorders then me2.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

It took me 2 nights to beat ME3 and I have a real full time job...  And I did a good deal of the side content. 

You could easy zoom through this 8 hours if you ignored most of the extras.

And yes, the day one DLC 10 dollar bull$hit did piss me off... BUUUT, not all of us had to pay for it *wink* *wink*

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by evicton

It might have been better pr. If they just left it in the CE for a month or two then let it become available. Not like it seems to affect much other then forum posts. My impressions was the game had more preorders then me2.

ME3 had far more preorders than ME2. Thhe real question will be week one sales which is not known yet. 

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

Originally posted by catlana

ME3 had far more preorders than ME2. Thhe real question will be week one sales which is not known yet. 

I agree, but this whole thing just reminds me of the 12 dollar map pack for Black Ops Internet outrage. Going to any website that was covering that, you couldn't find one person who was going to buy them.

They have since sold 18 million of said mappacks which again according to the 'forums' noone way going to buy. They sold almost as many 12 dollar map packs for black ops, then they did for the cheaper mappacks in mw2 and world at war combined (20 million combined).

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

I agree, but this whole thing just reminds me of the 12 dollar map pack for Black Ops Internet outrage. Going to any website that was covering that, you couldn't find one person who was going to buy them.

They have since sold 18 million of said mappacks which again according to the 'forums' noone way going to buy. They sold almost as many 12 dollar map packs for black ops, then they did for the cheaper mappacks in mw2 and world at war combined (20 million combined).

The dlc for ME3 was a character that I did not end up liking very much. So yeah, I bought the dlc. My buddy has already beaten the game with the best ending. He took a couple days off from work to do so. He was able to achieve that without the dlc or mp, so the dlc is less important than the CoD map packs imho. 

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

The dlc for ME3 was a character that I did not end up liking very much. So yeah, I bought the dlc. My buddy has already beaten the game with the best ending. He took a couple days off from work to do so. He was able to achieve that without the dlc or mp, so the dlc is less important than the CoD map packs imho. 

Spoiler.....

I really liked the amount of lore added by taking the Prothean with you to Thessia. This run thru I am going to take him on Samara's mission as well.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

You guys did a good job coming up with excuses for TOR and Ill give you DA2, but [Mod Edit] ME3 is right up there with Skyrim and Half-Life 2.

No

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by Bunks

boycott EA

I plan to....right after I buy the new SSX image

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

boycott EA

I can't help but laugh out loud whenever someone uses the word 'boycott' on internet. Since people who boycott games are usually the first one to buy it and play it. Anyone remember that boycotting of Left 4 dead? lol..yeah sure..buddy i am boycotting EA right now.

lol!!

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Superduper69

boycott EA

I can't help but laugh out loud whenever someone uses the word 'boycott' on internet. Since people who boycott games are usually the first one to buy it and play it. Anyone remember that boycotting of Left 4 dead? lol..yeah sure..buddy i am boycotting EA right now.

lol!!

Since you know everything. 

Can you tell me what will be next lottery numbers pls?

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by fenistil

boycott EA

lol!!

I have no idea from where you got the idea that i know everything? i am talking from my own experince as i got suckered into boycotting Valve and COD once..been there done that. I know how these boycotts end.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by fenistil

boycott EA

lol!!

I have no idea from where you got the idea that i know everything? i am talking from my own experince as i got suckered into boycotting Valve and COD once..been there done that. I know how these boycotts end.

if it ends with Bioware changing the day 1 DLC to free, then it will have been worth it.. as things stand though, im not buying ME3 until it's in one of those 50% off deals on Steam,  EA/Bioware can go spin as far as im concerned.. maybe EA is hurting for cash these days, but ripping off customers isnt the way to remedy that situation. Just for the record i did pay full price for both ME1 and ME2.. though i didnt buy any of the DLC's associated with them. If a game isnt complete without the DLC's then it is not a finished product imo.image

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

You guys did a good job coming up with excuses for TOR and Ill give you DA2, but [Mod Edit] ME3 is right up there with Skyrim and Half-Life 2.

I saw this coming a mile away, who honestly didn't think that BW would get the "SOE" treatment after seeing the fervor used to rally against TOR.  Short of releasing "Skyrim" every year for the next ten I'm not sure what they can do to change the fact that the vocal minority is going to spenmd the rest of their interest in gaming trying to tear them down.

I lol'd reading all the whiney comments about how horrible an ending the game had and it immediately got me wondering if these people simply werent around for just about every final fantasy or metal gear game.  I mean the ending for (I think it was guns of the patriot) was a half an hour long cutscene of convoluted mess and Square generally can pull a scene or two that tugs at my heart strings but the vast majority of the time I'm wondering what they think they are talking about.

And these games don't have content that can at some point and time change the ending as people seem to say BW has done with a DLC.