Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's The Next "Seamless Open World"?

Comments

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Cyclops. Get an ssd.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Originally posted by Sylvarii

I was going to mention Vanguard, i have played it since release and have 5 level 55 toons.It has no instances and no invisible walls.I can stand in one spot and run or fly and a day later end up in the same spot if i don't get killed on the way.I can go as far as the eye can see,from Qalia to Thestra to Kojan,it's all wide open.

WOW is a closed box compared to Vanguard.

Was thinking the same thing here. Vanguard is a pretty sweet open world if ever there was one. ANd the game overall is pretty decent as well.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

I was going to mention Vanguard, i have played it since release and have 5 level 55 toons.It has no instances and no invisible walls.I can stand in one spot and run or fly and a day later end up in the same spot if i don't get killed on the way.I can go as far as the eye can see,from Qalia to Thestra to Kojan,it's all wide open.

WOW is a closed box compared to Vanguard.

Really. I was completely unaware VG allowed circumnavigation. <boggle>  Learn sumpin new every day.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Originally posted by CyclopsSlay

Originally posted by Mardukk

Vanguard def wins the award for closest to open/seamless world. Not sure how this even an argument. Go play it and find out.

Huge world yes, BUT not seamless.

Those little hitches as you run cross country, when you leave your torch light on the ground? When your Flyers auto-run suddenly turns off? When your mount vanishes for no known reason? Chunk-lines. When they load in the Zone, errr, Chunk... They never got around to making the game truly seamless as they were intending.

yeah i get what you mean..not sure but i think they are called cluster servers,could be wrong ,but at the time this game was groundbreaking in its attemp to make it has open as possible.i just wish someone had the balls in the western hemisphere to make another game like this..without having so many bugs on release,i still think this game would be highly populated.yeah the chunks were a bit annoying..i guess they were maybe meant to be load screens there ,not sure .used to hate crashing when crossing one lol.

• Miner-2049erMiner-2049er Member Posts: 435

Xsyon is a seamless open world.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

I would say the definition of an open world is that there is no place you can go where you cannot be seen by others. If you go into a building, or a dungeon, do you see the other people there? If you are inside a bldg, can you see through the window to see outside?

If you come to a zone boundary, can you see on the other side? In Vanguard, there are "chunks" that load automatically, the user never sees a loading screen. More importantly, if you are on the edge of one chunk, you can see what is in the next chunk. With a fast enough disk, like an SSD, the chunk changes are almost instant.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• xpinkfl0ydxxpinkfl0ydx Member Posts: 6

true open world is KAL Online ... massive open world dungens + one of the biggest open world map in the history of mmo's

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Mortal Online is also totally seemless

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Outside.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• GylfiGylfi Member UncommonPosts: 708

Originally posted by Superduper69

Because people interpret meaning of open / seamless world in different ways? there is not a universal definition for it. So to claim it is a FACT is just wrong.

You people push this "interpretation / opinion" freedom way way too much. This is just chaos.

How can someone not accept a simple definition of a word? I'm against imposition of something but this is getting stupid.

Seamless: Smooth and without seams or obvious joins

why is it so hard to accept this? it's just a word. God.

Originally posted by xDayx

Mortal Online is also totally seemless

and one of the most denigrated games ever.

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by Gylfi

Because people interpret meaning of open / seamless world in different ways? there is not a universal definition for it. So to claim it is a FACT is just wrong.

You people push this "interpretation / opinion" freedom way way too much. This is just chaos.

How can someone not accept a simple definition of a word? I'm against imposition of something but this is getting stupid.

Acceptiing something is not the same as trying to shove it down someone's throat as a FACT.

Acceptiing something is not the same as trying to shove it down someone's throat as a FACT.

sometimes people have to accept something shoved down their throat. We live together, we have to agree on SOMETHING. Thank god the world is not the internet, or we would still kill each other with clubs out of hate and suspicion of "shoving" something.

If some kind of "important" person, an experienced developer from Blizzard would come here he would say "of course, seamless means no loading screens, all smooth", he would facepalm at our madness with words, and we would feel stupid.

How can you even say there's not a universal definition of ONE DUMB word? Ofc there is! The word refers to objects, objects are facts! A SEAM is some kind of JOIN, a join in MMO's is normally (by the sane persons) agreed to be "the loading phase". The OP asked for a game without these. Why do you have to complicate such a simple thing? Just because ONE guy(in the first page) stood up and claimed to know the solution, so you had to refuse him out of spite? One not famous guy can't reveal truth? Is that the "forum dogma"?

sometimes people have to accept something shoved down their throat. We live together, we have to agree on SOMETHING. Thank god the world is not the internet, or we would still kill each other with clubs out of hate and suspicion of "shoving" something.

If some kind of "important" person, an experienced developer from Blizzard would come here he would say "of course, seamless means no loading screens, all smooth", he would facepalm at our madness with words, and we would feel stupid.

How can you even say there's not a universal definition of ONE DUMB word? Ofc there is! The word refers to objects, objects are facts! A SEAM is some kind of JOIN, a join in MMO's is normally (by the sane persons) agreed to be "the loading phase". The OP asked for a game without these. Why do you have to complicate such a simple thing?

He was talking about seamless open world and not just seamless. So two things are being defined here in one sentence.

oh c'mon, it's the same damn thing, open means squat. He typed open to reinforce the preceeding word seamless. And i believe you know it full well in your heart, you just want to complicate things.

SIMPLIFY!!! :)

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by nate1980

Originally posted by expresso

Originally posted by tixylix

WoW had a great open world when I played before they ruined it with battlegrounds and the ability to enter instances from anywhere. Before all this you had to travel to an instance which took up real world space and you had to enter a structure or cave that lead to the instance. So that is why WoW's instances felt acceptable to me and the fact the rest of the world was seamless.

I dunno what it is like now but when I left it was going down the shitter.

Yeah i was there before Battlegrounds but WOW always had instances and loading screens between islands,no other way to get across the sea unless you load.

That's why WOW was never a seameless open world MMO.

I think you're nit picking.  Sure you load into instances and have to load between the two (now four major) land masses but thats cus theres a huge ocean or time/portal/wavey thing in the way, I can run,walk,fly from booty bay in the south of the eastern kingoms isle to the plaguelands in the north without a loading screen.. depending on the route I take I would pass by a dozen or more zones without a loading screen.  The Eastern kingdons Isle is estimated to be 100km/s in total that I can run around in without a loading screen.. I would consider that open world and any game that behaved similar would IMHO be open world.

Seriously i'm not nit picking,a MMO world is totally open or it isn't,you cant have it both ways.Nearly being open is not the same as being open.

I play football and sometimes i nearly score a goal but i miss,so that means i didn't score,their is no inbetween.I do the lottery and i had 5 numbers,you need six for the jackpot but five nearly gave me the winning prize but it didn't because i didn't have six numbers.

In WOW you can go from one area to another on said island but to cross a sea or do i dungeon i have to enter an instance or load a screen to cross the sea.

In vanguard i go to the dungeon and it's part of the open world and i can find other people using the same dungeon because it's a open world.I need to go from qalia to thestra,sure i can use a riftway but i can also fly,ride or sail their,i'm not forced to use a loading screen because it's an open world.

You see the differance from Vanguard and WOW,would you call LOTRO an open world MMO?

People here can get the hump all they like but the fact remains that games like WOW and LOTRO and any game with instances are not true open world MMO,that was the question of the OP.

Perhaps the next true open world MMO will be AA but it's not Tera and it never was WOW.

So you can go from the trial island to any other continent without loading?

Lol..the trail island is not part of the Vanguard main world,it's a trail island.Even the dungeon on the trail island is open but nice try though.

Look, i have no problem with WOW and i agree to a certain extent it's a very open MMO,you do feel like you are in an big open world.

Compared to AOC and swtor it's way more open.

So the Trial Island IS an instanced area, which the majority of people go through, so...by your words, Vanguard isn't completely seamless or open either. Your words, not mine.

/owned

Nope the trail island is a zone,you do know the differance between a zone and an instance,right.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Originally posted by Metentso

There is not a pure open world MMO, as there is not a pure sandbox MMO. But it's not too bad to consider WoW "seamless open world", since it has huge areas without loading screens. Of course it's not 100% seamless open world, because of the instances and the transition between continents.

this is complete bullshit.

MO doesn't have 1 single loading screen once you are into teh game.

oh c'mon, it's the same damn thing, open means squat. He typed open to reinforce the preceeding word seamless. And i believe you know it full well in your heart, you just want to complicate things.

SIMPLIFY!!! :)

Nope sorry.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Originally posted by drel

EVE I would think right now-Maybe GW2

I think he means few load screnes when he is referring to open world, that definitely wouldn't be eve.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

WoW had a great open world when I played before they ruined it with battlegrounds and the ability to enter instances from anywhere. Before all this you had to travel to an instance which took up real world space and you had to enter a structure or cave that lead to the instance. So that is why WoW's instances felt acceptable to me and the fact the rest of the world was seamless.

Yeah i was there before Battlegrounds but WOW always had instances and loading screens between islands,no other way to get across the sea unless you load.

I think you're nit picking.  Sure you load into instances and have to load between the two (now four major) land masses but thats cus theres a huge ocean or time/portal/wavey thing in the way, I can run,walk,fly from booty bay in the south of the eastern kingoms isle to the plaguelands in the north without a loading screen.. depending on the route I take I would pass by a dozen or more zones without a loading screen.  The Eastern kingdons Isle is estimated to be 100km/s in total that I can run around in without a loading screen.. I would consider that open world and any game that behaved similar would IMHO be open world.

Seriously i'm not nit picking,a MMO world is totally open or it isn't,you cant have it both ways.Nearly being open is not the same as being open.

I play football and sometimes i nearly score a goal but i miss,so that means i didn't score,their is no inbetween.I do the lottery and i had 5 numbers,you need six for the jackpot but five nearly gave me the winning prize but it didn't because i didn't have six numbers.

In WOW you can go from one area to another on said island but to cross a sea or do i dungeon i have to enter an instance or load a screen to cross the sea.

In vanguard i go to the dungeon and it's part of the open world and i can find other people using the same dungeon because it's a open world.I need to go from qalia to thestra,sure i can use a riftway but i can also fly,ride or sail their,i'm not forced to use a loading screen because it's an open world.

You see the differance from Vanguard and WOW,would you call LOTRO an open world MMO?

People here can get the hump all they like but the fact remains that games like WOW and LOTRO and any game with instances are not true open world MMO,that was the question of the OP.

Perhaps the next true open world MMO will be AA but it's not Tera and it never was WOW.

Lol..the trail island is not part of the Vanguard main world,it's a trail island.Even the dungeon on the trail island is open but nice try though.

Look, i have no problem with WOW and i agree to a certain extent it's a very open MMO,you do feel like you are in an big open world.

So the Trial Island IS an instanced area, which the majority of people go through, so...by your words, Vanguard isn't completely seamless or open either. Your words, not mine.

/owned

Nope the trail island is a zone,you do know the differance between a zone and an instance,right.

That's your retort, seriously?  This topic is about open seamless, zoning is not something that exists in open seamless.  If you allow it for VG trial island, you allow it for WoW continents.

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

Originally posted by Metentso

There is not a pure open world MMO, as there is not a pure sandbox MMO. But it's not too bad to consider WoW "seamless open world", since it has huge areas without loading screens. Of course it's not 100% seamless open world, because of the instances and the transition between continents.

this is complete bullshit.

MO doesn't have 1 single loading screen once you are into teh game.

and the most complete sandbox virtual world atm, though many bash at it because MO hasn't been friendly on their butt.

Originally posted by CyclopsSlay

Originally posted by Mardukk

Vanguard def wins the award for closest to open/seamless world. Not sure how this even an argument. Go play it and find out.

Huge world yes, BUT not seamless.

Those little hitches as you run cross country, when you leave your torch light on the ground? When your Flyers auto-run suddenly turns off? When your mount vanishes for no known reason? Chunk-lines. When they load in the Zone, errr, Chunk... They never got around to making the game truly seamless as they were intending.

Right a chunk is not the same as a zone.

Let's say me and you are playing EQ1,it was made up of open zones.So me and you are in a group and i decide to enter another zone,what happens to me and what do you see,you see me dissappear as i cross over into that zone.

Now vanguard chunks are not the same.If i cross a chunk line i will not dissappear from your view,as a matter of will be able to see me across that chunk line.That's why in Vanguard mobs will chase you across chunk lines,a mob cannot chase you across a zone line which is different.

Now i don't know when you last played Vanguard but at the start chunking was pretty unstable but since 5 years ago it has been fixed.Now people have better pc you can cross chunk lines and not even notice or you might even get a 2 sec gitter but nothing like it was at release.

Chunk is a term used to denote one of the regions of the world of Telon, called regions in some sources. These are respresented as squares on the game map, and delineate content to a certain extent, although they do not function as zones as in many other MMORPGs. Moving from one chunk to another is done continguously, and requires no load screen, although there is sometimes visible hitching when this occurs, known as "chunking".

Most content within a given chunk will be appropriate to a certain level range. This is not universally true, however, and it is unwise to assume absolute safety within a chunk of appropriate level.

http://vanguard.wikia.com/wiki/Chunks

/owned

No it's not an instance,do you know the difference from an instace to a zone?

Anyway,the isle of dawn is not part of the Vanguard world,it's a trail island that anyone can play on.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Wow. I mean really just wow.  My advice to the OP is true a couple of free trials of games that seem good to you and find the one that entertains you the most. Entertainment is they key.  If I enjoy the game I do not really care much if there is loading screens or instanced dungeons. If I don't like the game seamlessness and non-instances would not keep me playing it.   

Who cares if WoW is or is not seamless? DO YOU LIKE IT? if so - play. If not - try another game, until you find the one you like. Just my opinion but endlessly discussing the meaning of seamless and open seems like  much ado about nothing, that and there are points in this thread where it seems more like a fan/non-fan discussion of WoW.   

Currently bored with MMO's.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Urborgein

I can´t believe that you have not talked about Ultima Online, the only seamless MMO in the world. Instances, houses, continents... all that without a single load screen...

Yup, THIS ^^^^^^^.  And o m g.....it came out before Vanguard.  So we can quit talking Vanguard like it's god's gift to gaming.  It obviously has suffered from myriads of other flaws preventing it from receiving that title.  If you love it and play it, great, but there are other games that people love and play too....yours isn't the be all end all.  None of them are.  Most of them have some degree of openess to a greater or lesser extent and how OPEN they FEEL is subjective. How SEAMLESS they are is FACT. There are several seamless games, and more than a few open feeling games.  I don't think they need to be in the same category necessarily, do they? lol

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club