Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So i played the overhyped Tera....

Comments

• dragonordragonor Member Posts: 19

well.. always good to see and nice to read that alot of mmo-douchebags will stay away from tera :D

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Tbh I don't feel like Tera is being 'over-hyped' at all.  Nothing compared to the GW2 holy crusaders or the people who think Archeage, a game with no NA/EU publisher as of yet, is the savior of our genre and the king of sandbox games.  Tera seems to be advertised as a thempark type game with good combat, anime style and jiggly boobs with skimpy outfits.  Most people seem to realize what it is, and enjoy it for that.  Not my thing in the least, but people do like it and to each their own.

And really OP, to pity people who buy a game?  What, you look down on them because they enjoy a game that you dont?  Doesn't make much sense.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

I'd be very sad if Tera was "the wow killer" because that would give us such a cool population to play with.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Kuro1n

I'd be very sad if Tera was "the wow killer" because that would give us such a cool population to play with.

If Tera by some magical means kills WoW i'm going to be laugh behind my computer for like months, while browsing GW2 forums.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081

TERA is an old fashioned MMO, I highly doubt we'll see many games like this again in the coming years. The genre has finally moved on past this boring text-box treadmill and they're actually putting some effort where it counts in making these games immersive. The combat in TERA is the only thing I like about it mechanically speaking, it's gorgeous but that's only enough to hold you for a couple of weeks. The combat actually makes most combat encounters very similar, despite different mechanics in said encounters. They still feel the same because you've got to focus on doing what it is your character is meant to do, rather than what's really going on with the fight. It gets boring fast.

It will not be a WoW killer, from a realistic standpoint there are only 2 games in this current batch that are going to really have an outstanding level of success and that's SW:TOR and GW2. Both of these games are easily the best ones I've experienced in a very, very, very long time and I can only hope that games in the next 3 years will match, or even best them at what they bring to the table.

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339

Originally posted by PsyMike3d

Today i've managed to play tera after 20min of queue(high population is always good for an MMO).

So the character creation was good,simple, nothing new though...

The characters models are awsome.

Then i logged in, after a meaningless cutscene, the environment was pretty good and the music also.

But then i realised that there was a minimap showing all the area(that wasnt a good sign) but i decided to investigate it more.

I tryed to explore more the area and i realised that i can't fall of the cliff, cause TERA has a linear environment that you only follow a path.

I took a quest and i tryed the battle cause i've heard that this makes the game unique and worth buying... So i completed few quests that where totally copy paste from ALL the mmos out there, the other thing that was really bad was EVERY time i used a spell or an attack my character staying still, for example you can't run and use a spell, your char staying still every time you attack........

I couldn't play more than 1hour and after that i uninstalled it... this game has NOTHING AT ALL to offer to the MMO genre.

Linear questline like Aion - No exploration - overhyped combat system(looks like Dragon Nest a bit)= i give this about 3months of life till mass exodus...

I pity those who bought it really... i hope you will enjoy it but clearly if you've played many MMOs you know im right.

I dont want to offend ppl with this thread ..obviously if you are new to the MMO genre u will probably enjoy it

I just want to alarm those who are playing years MMOs not to expect anything for this.

[IM NOT PLAYING WOW(it died for me when TBC released) IM JUST WAITING FOR DARKFALL 2.0 & ARCHEAGE ]

good gaming to all :)

I haven't played the game but you pretty much summed up my prediction of how Tera would have played out have I tried it too. For many of us that have tried dozens upon dozens of mmos, nothing radically different or new here. Like I said in one thread, it sounds pretty much like Aion with better graphics and more actiony feel to combat minus the wings and the deep customisation system. Besides that, meh...

I still do not see the hype surrounding the game and seems to me its going to be yet another one of those unreasonably hyped up games that in the end, don't deliver or bring anything new to the genre.

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

Originally posted by Valentina

TERA is an old fashioned MMO, I highly doubt we'll see many games like this again in the coming years. The genre has finally moved on past this boring text-box treadmill and they're actually putting some effort where it counts in making these games immersive. The combat in TERA is the only thing I like about it mechanically speaking, it's gorgeous but that's only enough to hold you for a couple of weeks. The combat actually makes most combat encounters very similar, despite different mechanics in said encounters. They still feel the same because you've got to focus on doing what it is your character is meant to do, rather than what's really going on with the fight. It gets boring fast.

It will not be a WoW killer, from a realistic standpoint there are only 2 games in this current batch that are going to really have an outstanding level of success and that's SW:TOR and GW2. Both of these games are easily the best ones I've experienced in a very, very, very long time and I can only hope that games in the next 3 years will match, or even best them at what they bring to the table.

Actually I think the combat is great. It will hold me for a very long time. PVP with no targeting is pretty sweet. The only thing TERA is bringing to the table is the combat. That is what they did with the game. Everything else is the same pretty much from other mmos. It definetly beats Aion since there was tab targetting and you could hit a skill and your toon would actually run over to the person and hit them.

Everyone knows this won't be a WoW killer but it will have its own population. I don't mind that is is smaller. Def don't need the WoW mentality in TERA and ruining it. Also you say SWTOR was a success. That actually has yet to be seen as it is losing people all the time and is on the decline.

On a side note I think the best game to come will be Archeage. Check that out there is so much to do it is awesome. But in the meantime TERA will hold me just fine. It already is less buggy than SWTOR that is for sure lol.

Ummmm unless they do some major fixing SWTOR isn't going to beat anything. I mean its a great as a single player game but the mmo part of it is pretty much total crap. As for GW2 its pretty standard too, only difference is it has DE instead of quest which like SWTOR is pretty pointless once you cap at least it has the MMO part down.

Originally posted by Vaultar

I haven't played the game but you pretty much summed up my prediction of how Tera would have played out have I tried it too. For many of us that have tried dozens upon dozens of mmos, nothing radically different or new here. Like I said in one thread, it sounds pretty much like Aion with better graphics and more actiony feel to combat minus the wings and the deep customisation system. Besides that, meh...

I still do not see the hype surrounding the game and seems to me its going to be yet another one of those unreasonably hyped up games that in the end, don't deliver or bring anything new to the genre.

Guess you didn't bother to really read anything been posted in this thread. And can some one please point me to this overhype over tera is? Obivously i'm not seening.  If you consider this overhype what would you consider SWTOR and GW2? a religon? By the way people follow them might as well be.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Ummmm unless they do some major fixing SWTOR isn't going to beat anything. I mean its a great as a single player game but the mmo part of it is pretty much total crap. As for GW2 its pretty standard too, only difference is it has DE instead of quest which like SWTOR is pretty pointless once you cap at least it has the MMO part down.

Originally posted by Vaultar

Guess you didn't bother to really read anything been posted in this thread. And can some one please point me to this overhype over tera is? Obivously i'm not seening.  If you consider this overhype what would you consider SWTOR and GW2? a religon? By the way people follow them might as well be.

Amen to that image

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

Umm this game is anything but over hyped. 

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

Originally posted by Superduper69

This term 'hyped' is abused in so many ways it's ridiculous. Anything that appears to be considered a 'AAA' mmo is going to be criticized down to the bone. A lot of people like the game, and they talk good about it. So they tell their friends 'hey i really liked this mmo, you should give it a shot'. Sure.. some of those people are not going to like it, but some will. I think people expect the 2nd coming of jesus to be in every highly anticipated MMO on the horizon. Yet when it's not the most revolutionary thing they've ever seen in their lives, it's all of the sudden the worst thing since moldy bread. 

Personally I played and enjoyed the beta. I'm going to play retail. Granted it's not all that different from a lot of the better MMOs out today, but it has a lot of refreshing ways to it, and people will enjoy it. I don't believe it is over-hyped at all. Just a lot of people know about it, and it brings the haters out like roaches in the dark.

Originally posted by afropuff420

This term 'hyped' is abused in so many ways it's ridiculous. Anything that appears to be considered a 'AAA' mmo is going to be criticized down to the bone. A lot of people like the game, and they talk good about it. So they tell their friends 'hey i really liked this mmo, you should give it a shot'. Sure.. some of those people are not going to like it, but some will. I think people expect the 2nd coming of jesus to be in every highly anticipated MMO on the horizon. Yet when it's not the most revolutionary thing they've ever seen in their lives, it's all of the sudden the worst thing since moldy bread. 

Personally I played and enjoyed the beta. I'm going to play retail. Granted it's not all that different from a lot of the better MMOs out today, but it has a lot of refreshing ways to it, and people will enjoy it. I don't believe it is over-hyped at all. Just a lot of people know about it, and it brings the haters out like roaches in the dark.

Thing is you don't see this crap happening to SWTOR, GW2, TSW, or ArchAges. Really does make you wonder some times.

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

Thing is you don't see this crap happening to SWTOR, GW2, TSW, or ArchAges. Really does make you wonder some times.

We must be reading forums in alternate universes i think.

• LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Oh god, I just can't take this post seriously, it has NO EXPLORING based on the island seperate from the entire rest of TERA.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

imageimageimageimageimage

This is me not exploring. ^^

I do the same thing with every new MMO. Gotta test the fields. I'm sure the world isn't as linear as people think. That was probably the first selling point of WoW for me back in the day. Once I realized that I could go just about anywhere I wanted, I subbed right away. A good MMO needs that to give players a break from the grinding, farming and yada yada.

Getting too old for this $&17!

We must be reading forums in alternate universes i think.

maybe i mean the internet is portal to all evil and all that.

Also you don't have game site posting very rash review of SWTOR and GW2. Tera seem like every other review want ot pass it off as other korean grinder or as nothing new.

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388

A good MMO needs that to give players a break from the grinding, farming and yada yada.

So you think TERA will give you that break from the grinding and farming? just curious

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

A good MMO needs that to give players a break from the grinding, farming and yada yada.

So you think TERA will give you that break from the grinding and farming? just curious

every game has some sort of grind/farming.  i think the OP is way off base though.  trashing a game just becuase he/she doesnt like it.  people have different tastes. the OP pretty much thinks they have have the right opinion, just like any other post on the forums.  to say tera is over hyped is beyond me. if it wasnt for the bad posts about tera on this forum i would never even knopw it exsited.  OP should think about gw2 if they want to get attention from the over hype crowd. 

I've got the straight edge.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by Horusra

The Darkfall comment shows you that if no ganking the game sucks.

There's more to sandboxes than ganking.  Nice way to do no research and look foolish.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by brody71

every game has some sort of grind/farming.  i think the OP is way off base though.  trashing a game just becuase he/she doesnt like it.  people have different tastes. the OP pretty much thinks they have have the right opinion, just like any other post on the forums.  to say tera is over hyped is beyond me. if it wasnt for the bad posts about tera on this forum i would never even knopw it exsited.  OP should think about gw2 if they want to get attention from the over hype crowd. 

If not for bad posts you would have never known TERA existed?  As if it wasn't on the main page of this website under top MMO's in development?  No offense, but you'd have to be blind not to have heard of it.  It's been talked about for quite a while. 

The OP has every right to give their opinion on a game that they played.  That's what these forums are for. 

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by DAS1337

If not for bad posts you would have never known TERA existed?  As if it wasn't on the main page of this website under top MMO's in development?  No offense, but you'd have to be blind not to have heard of it.  It's been talked about for quite a while. 

The OP has every right to give their opinion on a game that they played.  That's what these forums are for. 

not looking to argue man, so dont try to bait me.  yes everyone has a right to their opinion.

I've got the straight edge.

Ummm should we compare how much info for tera for the past year compare to the stuff added for GW2 after 1 press beta?

Yes everyone has the right to their own opinion, however doesn't mean their  opinion are better thany anyone else or right. The fact that the OP pity people who plays Tera because he/she doesn't like it says a lot.

• ammoniteammonite Member Posts: 113

Ummm should we compare how much info for tera for the past year compare to the stuff added for GW2 after 1 press beta?

Yes everyone has the right to their own opinion, however doesn't mean their  opinion are better thany anyone else or right. The fact that the OP pity people who plays Tera because he/she doesn't like it says a lot.

So everything is equal then, we can see that TERA, a standard but pretty asian grinder is the EQUAL of next gen GW2.

Originally posted by ammonite

So everything is equal then, we can see that TERA, a standard but pretty asian grinder is the EQUAL of next gen GW2.

Not sure where you got they are equal part or that Tera is a grinder (which is not and saying it is just make you look stupid) or GW2 is next gen but so far only thing i see it do differently is DE and i guess scaling which can be good or bad not sure how it will go.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

Originally posted by ammonite

Not sure where you got they are equal part or that Tera is a grinder (which is not and saying it is just make you look stupid) or GW2 is next gen but so far only thing i see it do differently is DE and i guess scaling which can be good or bad not sure how it will go.

Ironically TERA is more of a "western" game when you think of gameplay.  In fact, if you made the artstyle a little less high fantasy I don't think anybody would guess it was made in Korea.

If GW2 does what it claims it will the two games will be pretty different so saying which one is better will be mute.  The question is which one do YOU want to play on a month to month basis? I'll wait until I play GW2 to see if it's "next gen" and whether I like the changes.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388

every game has some sort of grind/farming.  i think the OP is way off base though.  trashing a game just becuase he/she doesnt like it. 

I'm not trashing, just my opinion after testing TERA, and for ppl saying 1 hour isnt enough to judge...why i already see threads of ppl admiting that TERA is a clone just with a "new" combat system? (if its a new combat system, what about Dragon Nest??)