Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] What are you most looking forward to in 2012?

Comments

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by blognorg

Originally posted by fenistil

Well, I never explicitly stated that it was an MMO, but that it shares an audience, to an extent. Also, I never said that GW1 was an MMO either; I just said that people didn't gripe about it being on the game list, as people have for Diablo 3. I think what separates D3 from games like BF3, etc are things like the aution house, and the coop/pvp dynamics that are more akin to that of an actual MMO. Persistance is just one of the factors differenciates games. Many refer to PlanetSide 2 as an MMO, but the play mechanics are very different from game like WoW. When it comes down to it, no, Diablo 3 is not an MMO, however I felt that it shared enough features and audience to justify its place on the list. That's my take on it.

The older I get the more I miss the days when gaming was just for nerds. D3 is in no way an MMO. Its a dungeon crawler. Evidently some people dont understand what that means though.  Planetside 2 however is set to be an MMOFPS.

What genra a game should be called is really pointless these days anyway. As far as it being on the MMORPG.com list, this site hasnt been about just MMORPG's for a while now. WIthin the next year or two it wouldnt suprise me if its just a general gaming forum. Not a bad thing either since peoples abilities to properly classify a game is a thing of the past as well.

• blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643

Originally posted by xenogias

Originally posted by fenistil

Well, I never explicitly stated that it was an MMO, but that it shares an audience, to an extent. Also, I never said that GW1 was an MMO either; I just said that people didn't gripe about it being on the game list, as people have for Diablo 3. I think what separates D3 from games like BF3, etc are things like the aution house, and the coop/pvp dynamics that are more akin to that of an actual MMO. Persistance is just one of the factors differenciates games. Many refer to PlanetSide 2 as an MMO, but the play mechanics are very different from game like WoW. When it comes down to it, no, Diablo 3 is not an MMO, however I felt that it shared enough features and audience to justify its place on the list. That's my take on it.

The older I get the more I miss the days when gaming was just for nerds. D3 is in no way an MMO. Its a dungeon crawler. Evidently some people dont understand what that means though.  Planetside 2 however is set to be an MMOFPS.

What genra a game should be called is really pointless these days anyway. As far as it being on the MMORPG.com list, this site hasnt been about just MMORPG's for a while now. WIthin the next year or two it wouldnt suprise me if its just a general gaming forum. Not a bad thing either since peoples abilities to properly classify a game is a thing of the past as well.

Well, the thing about terminology, and language in general, is that it changes... especially in an evoloving medium like gaming. That line has been blurred for some time now. I don't think the burden of defining it falls onto one person. You're entitled to your definition, certainly. But to say others are unable to properly classify a game based on esoteric semantics is a bit brazen. Hell, the term 'album' has referred to records, eight-tracks, tapes, CDs, and digital media. Also, CDs and tapes have been called records. The words 'awesome' and 'epic' are entirely accepted when used in mundane instances. You probably shouldn't get too attached to stringent, personal definitions. I'm not sure how old you really are, but your opinions concerning this matter seem pretty analogous to the archetypal senior citizen hearkening back to the "good ol' days" when times were simpler, times that were devoid of scary rap music and technology.

• Meerkat93Meerkat93 Member Posts: 61

ME3 still isn't out...

Other then that nothing really so GW2 maybe?

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

For me this year it is:

1. Guild Wars 2 2. TERA Online 3. Diablo 3

For 2013 (hopefully release in the States)

1. Archeage 2. Blade & Soul 3. Phantasy Star Online 2

We shall see!

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287

Well, there are few out there who are hoping (as we, the gamers are) to be new breed of mmos. You have, Guild Wars 2, The Secret World, Archage, PlanetSide2, Wildstare (looking interesting). Maybe they want all come out this year, but if just one of them come out and fulfill expectations, it would be great. 

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Tough choice between TERA and FFXIV 2.0, but I ultimately voted for TERA.

Primarily because TERA is new, and looks like something different and interesting, whereas I've played FFXIV, and while I would really like for the game to be good (considering XI was one of my favorite MMOs) I'm skeptical whether or not SE can make the game enjoyable.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I honestly have no idea what games to look forward to this year- I like that TSW will have a world different than the standard fantasy offerings we've had as well as having three factions but that's all I really know about it. I like GW2 because of the dynamic events rather than standard quest hub hopping as well as the character level changes based on zone so that I can play with friends regardless of how much time I've put into the game.

All of the info I've seen on these and other games look as though the leveling goes very quickly and have today's solo-ability intact. At least for MMOs I'm a 100% co-op player as opposed to competitive so I don't see any games that really have my playstyle in mind for endgame. Looks like I get to choose between EQ1, LoTRO, and (hopefully) Vanguard if it goes freemium/F2P.

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328

GW2 here (Obviously if you check post history) but if you had put ArcheAge aswell (hope it comes out 2012, just hoping) then it would be a tough choice since I'm planning on playing both of them

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

Where is the "still waiting for something different from the hamster wheel games" option?

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Diablo 3, of course.

TSW is probably going to be interesting too. So i will check it out.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Originally posted by Goatgod76

Where is the "still waiting for something different from the hamster wheel games" option?

That would be Guild Wars 2. Since there is no monthly fee the game is designed around ease of us, no time sinks, no gear grind at end game to keep you playing as long as possible. It's by far the least 'hamster wheel' game on the list.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by Fion

That would be Guild Wars 2. Since there is no monthly fee the game is designed around ease of us, no time sinks, no gear grind at end game to keep you playing as long as possible. It's by far the least 'hamster wheel' game on the list.

GW2 is a gear progression MMO.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Most MMOs are have some sort of gear progression. It just doesn't have the end-game focus on it that many do.

Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor
    For me this year it is:1. Guild Wars 2 2. TERA Online 3. Diablo 3For 2013 (hopefully release in the States)1. Archeage 2. Blade & Soul 3. Phantasy Star Online 2We shall see!

Oh man I forgot about PSO2. I'm scared... the first one dominated my time like no other. The second one may very well claim my soul hehe

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

I don't think Firefall will release this year.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Guild Wars 2

Most MMOs are have some sort of gear progression. It just doesn't have the end-game focus on it that many do.

we will see

we will see

Indeed. However, I'm curious what is spurring your pessimism. They're been pretty open about the game mechanics, and what's to be expected. So, unless they're blatently lying, I'd say it's a safe bet to assume that there won't be a gear grind at max level. Perhaps you should should clarify on what you mean by "GW2 is a gear progression MMO", and elaborate a little more as to what cues have given you reason to believe that.

we will see

Indeed. However, I'm curious what is spurring your pessimism. They're been pretty open about the game mechanics, and what's to be expected. So, unless they're blatently lying, I'd say it's a safe bet to assume that there won't be a gear grind at max level. Perhaps you should should clarify on what you mean by "GW2 is a gear progression MMO", and elaborate a little more as to what cues have given you reason to believe that.

Just for clarification, its not pessimism, its realism.

Leveling from 1-80, you will be upgrading your gear with better stats. Anet has confirmed this. Many people claim that end game in GW2 starts at level 1. Put 2 and 2 together and there you go.

As far as what I consider themepark endgame: what you do after your story is played out and you are at max level. GW2 offers the same content as other mmos at this stage. You grind tokens/currencies/dungeons for item rewards. Most of which are new weapons and armor. They may in fact have the same exact stats you already have. That has yet to be proven one way or the other. However, you will be repeating content for shiny new gear regardless if it is just for looks or more power, epeen, status, personal pride, etc.

That, imo is a gear progression mmo.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Tera.............................sucks

Firefall.........................sucks

Diablo 3.......................not an MMO

Guild Wars 2...............likely

The Secret World.......probably

FFXIV 2.0.....................are you joking?

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Originally posted by SSJGotenx268

FFXIV 2.0.

As much as people hate the game it's still getting better. Currently and will continue to pay for their subscription. They have my full support.

Of course it's getting better, since it is absolutely impossible for it to get worse!

Btw, voted D3, but not because I'm very excited about it, I'm just somewhat interested. For me, 2012's mmo releases only seems to be overhyped games that seems shallow and boring when you scratch a little beneath the surface.

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

I voted other :

Neverwinter Online : DnD with player driven content

Archeage : With a bit of luck we see Korea-release. They find the bugs and in 2013 we can play it aswell.

World of Pandas : want to see what novelties Blizzards put in there to earn more $$$. Haven't touched wow since TBC, but always good to see what the marketleader offers its clients. They almost made me resub by adding Goblins.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by Garvon3

Originally posted by DAS1337

Originally posted by xDayx

None of the ones you listed.

Darkfall 2.0 and Mortal Online expansion.

LOLz

Darkfall 2.0 if, and only if, there is a server wipe.

The announcing of a western publisher for Archage..

The announcing of Mortal Online's assets burning in a horrible fire causing them to sell off the company...

Why would a server wipe be necessary?

To get rid of the overpowered vet characters when the supposed skill system revamp hits.  News of a wipe would bring in thousands and thousands of new players.  Without it, they'll be lucky to keep 5,000 players around.  Which isn't far off from what they currently have.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by Requiem6

For me it's :

B2P -

Guild Wars 2

Torchlight 2

F2P -

Firefall

Path of Exile

There's some other game in the making that look really nice, but I have no idea when they are coming out.

Otherwise I'll be following Mist of Pandaria, I'm really curious if it will be as bad as cataclysm or actually succesful.

Really don't get the Diablo 3 hate.  Neither TL2 or PoE are going to stand up to D3, not even combined.  Not in sales or production quality.  It's like having a choice between a Lambo, a civic, and a F150.  Financial obligations aside, you'd probably pick the lambo.  Even if you picked something else, you'd have no argument to make for the decision. 

• pigandforkspigandforks Member Posts: 17

End of Nations