Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What really killed this game

123457»

Comments

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by Superduper69

Originally posted by MosesZD

Originally posted by Superduper69

Sales have been in toilet for SWTOR? what?

Trend analysis.  

Sold 1.75 million first two weeks.

Sold 284 thousand in January.

Sold  112 (approx, final numbers not adjusted) in February.

Average weekly decline in sales is 31% in decline from the previous week (starting from week ending January 7th, it'd be far worse if I started from inception).   Example series to illustrate: 

100K sales Week 1. 

69K sales Week 2.  

48k sales Week 3.

33k sales Week 4.

23k sales Week 5.

In real-life the curve isn't as smooth.   T

No single MMO stays consistent with sales after release. That is why the sales of MMOs are counted over years not days or weeks. Even WOW started growing well after period of 4 to 5 years. MMOS do not work like single player games which are sold on multiple platofrms. For a pc game SWTOR has sold damn well at release.

Trend analysis ... *rolls eyes*

Why does everyone act like WoW was a dead game at launch, then all of a sudden, out of nowhere, boom 12 million players!!!!!!

WoW had a true juggernaut of a launch.  Within 6 months, they had something like 3 million playing (if basic memory doesn't fail me.)  That was insane at the time.  And they kept steadily growing.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by grimal

Originally posted by ComfyChair

WoW was so successful because it changed things up.

This is so absurd I'm not sure how to even reply to this.  But I'll try....WHAT did WoW change at launch that was so different from  those preceeding it?  Other than gloss?  WHAT?

Two things:

1.)  Polish.  Nothing had the polish of World of Warcraft at the time, and nothing has even come close.

2.)  An emphasis on being solo-friendly.  Before WoW, for better or worse, MMOs were not solo friendly.  WoW tapped this market which had yet to be tapped, and turned the MMO world into something casual players could do as well.

I say this as someone who left WoW after 6 months past launch, then game back a little bit in 2007, but left again. 

We also forget that they were one of the first MMOs to have a true blue mass marketing campaign.  And most of it they could do incredibly cheap by using their already massive customerbase on battle.net.  At the time Blizzard made WoW, they were the undisputed heavyweight champs of PC gaming.  They had made the original Warcraft series, Starcarft, and the two Diablos.  And they knew how to use their muscle.