Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Review

13»

Comments

• haibanehaibane Member Posts: 178

Crappy artstyle aside, KOA is not too bad, played a few, the gameplay's allright, the quests are basic but ok, it's a soso game overall, aye. The builds aren't really balanced but it's more a matter of taste than anything else i guess.

The closest game to KOA (imo) remains Fable, it's really close in terms of artstyle, playstile and the like. I'd say if u like one then u'd like the other, basically.

@sandslasher4 : if u started TES with morrowind then u have been missing out. Skyrim's quite in the line of TES 3 & 4. But, if u compare it to Arena, or even Daggerfall, it has like 10000x less content, especially on 3 aspects (to tell the truth i didn't even play morrowind much because of that) :

1) Randomly generated world as u explore it (yeah Arena had it back in 1994, with random dungeons, random POI, and a world the size of... EUROPE !

2) Spells creation kit. Ok i understand they removed it cuz you could do some very OP stuff (like huge AOE dmg added with convert damage taken to magika and bang u're invincible) but it was one of the best part of the game.

3) Rob the god damn stores !

However, Skyrim adds 2 very good things (for me) :

1) The graphics, cuz really in TES the characters always looked like crap before

2) The perks system a la fallout, which is quite incredible.

Also, don't forget that Bethesda released the toolkit and Skyrim's more a sandbox element for people to create their own adventures innit, like the awesome content we had for Oblivion before (nehreim ?).

Sorry bout the () on Skyrim, it's quite outta place here 

You're a Hardcore Survivor!

You not only survived the zombie apocalypse, but did it with style! Your mastery of zombie knowledge, survival tactics, and weaponry is nearly unmatched. Congratulations, for you are hardcore!

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Playing this game showed me a few things.

One: Curt Schilling needs to stick to hitting little balls with big stick.

Just on this point, Curt was a pitcher he never did much hitting the little ball with the big stick. He is now too old/unfit to be playing professional baseball.

Do you really think that people should stick to one profession for there entire lives? The guy is passionate about gaming, whilst the game is not great telling him to stick to baseball is both childish and patronising.

• jugularveinjugularvein Member UncommonPosts: 371

Hey all quick question,

Is this game playable offline?  I just moved into my first home ;) ;) ;) and wont have internet till next week.  If I remember correctly I think Skyrim needed to have internet(not 100 percent sure) but does this game?  I have the xbox, ps3 and pc so not sure if that helps, or if you recommend any system to play it on.  Thanks in advance ;) ;)

CPU-HP Omen 17.3" Laptop  i7  12 GB AMD Radeon RX580 1 TB Hard Drive

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

I think you should had given credit to the artist of the game who is Todd McFarlane, my favorite artist who does much of the coolest comic art in my opinion.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

The game is ok but its not great. It has major flaws in stealth where a sleeping npc has a 360 degree arc of seeing you at full range as though you have zero stealth skills.

NPCs are placed in such a way that stealthing through a dungeon is not possible and sneaking up on one is a pain.

Crafting is ok

Magic is ok

Dispelling Wards is a pain and lockpicking is pointless as you dont need to level it up to be good at it.

Trainers charge to much money at the low levels.

Killing the mobs over and over again in the same places after I have finished in that area is tiresome.

And character customization ..... the game has none other than 3 or 4 presets for each race/gender.

I prefer Skyrim and if KOA is going to be a MMO I am staying the hell away from it.

• sbfbeefsbfbeef Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 58
    I've been playing it myself the last week and love it. I do feel its to easy. I have it on hard and only a few times early in the game was I challenged. Now that I'm in my 20s and have great gear. Nothing has stopped me. I also feel there are tp many quests. At least useless ones. I would have liked to see more meaningful ones. Lastly character development. I don't have a connection to my main character like I've had with dragon age, mass effect, final fantasy games. Overall though worth the purchase. Playing a rouge now. Once I'm done I'm going a hybrid of warrior/mage paladin type
  • NliteNlite Member Posts: 8

Ere's me tuppence squire, control scheme- much better than freakin Witcher 2

lootage/bling/shiny - satisfying :)

Story- the R.A. Salvatore shows through,the characters and voiceovers flesh out the world.  I like the lore, world, it doesn't feel linear so there's some tradeoff on overarching plot urgency i.e. it's sandboxy which I like.

Monsters- Varied and interesting

Immersiveness- Epic Skyrim has it beat hands down, I can feel the icy winds , the cold grit of the rock and the shouts of the Dragonborn and the theme tune thrumming in my blood.

Overall- Excellent game I would welcome a sequel

• Loved the demo but I'm not buying thr game. If my only interest was gaming I might spend 60 bucks based on an experience in a short but fun demo but it's not my only interest. And I got the feeling that what their idea of wide open gaming was wasn't going too match mine.

• ooops....nothing to see here.............

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by SlickShoes

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Playing this game showed me a few things.

One: Curt Schilling needs to stick to hitting little balls with big stick.

Just on this point, Curt was a pitcher he never did much hitting the little ball with the big stick. He is now too old/unfit to be playing professional baseball.

Do you really think that people should stick to one profession for there entire lives? The guy is passionate about gaming, whilst the game is not great telling him to stick to baseball is both childish and patronising.

Well, I would have just said he shouldn't quit his day job. But since this apparently IS his day job, he's pretty much limited in options. All I know is, whether he likes games or not, he has no talent for making them.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    I understood that this game was sort of a testrun for the MMO they intend to make, Copernicus? Hmm, I'm still kinda in doubt about this one.
  • SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186

I love the art style, but I still haven't finished the game.

I do not like the fact that during any random dialogue or a fight scene, I must look through leaves or from behind a rock. (Why does it do that?)

I wish this game had come out during the summer because putting this out between Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 wasn't to wise.

I mean I have to complete another play through of Mass Effect 2 and I just got done wandering the countryside in Skyrim

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• omidusomidus Member UncommonPosts: 99

only thing I disliked about KoA was the fact that Todd McFarlane did the artwork...

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Originally posted by smh_alot

I understood that this game was sort of a testrun for the MMO they intend to make, Copernicus? Hmm, I'm still kinda in doubt about this one.

This is most likely incorrect.   It's like saying "there's not enough RTS elements in World of Warcraft,  which was based on the Warcraft."

It's a game that will be based in the same world, but it will not necessarily be just like this game.  One of the points of Reckoning was to build the IP, but they've never said that the MMO will play just like the single player RPG.

Maybe it will, but at this point it's too early to be jumping to conclusions.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Originally posted by omidus

only thing I disliked about KoA was the fact that Todd McFarlane did the artwork...

He didn't do any of the artwork.  He was more of a consulting art-director.  He doesn't make 3D models or textures.

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287

Its a good game, I had fun playing it. It is no Skyrim, but if you dont mind cartoonish feeling everybody should at lest try it. Iam interestied how there mmo Copernicus will prove, being set in same world.

• sandslasher4sandslasher4 Member Posts: 12

@haibane ;

I completely agree with you. I might have not made it clear, but what I meant was that I started playing  TES games ever since the release of Morrowind, but I have played enough Daggerfall (which came out when I was 2 years old) to know the HUGE difference content wise. I wish it could be like the old days. Skyrim only managed to do the two things you mentioned right, other than that the vanilla game is a pitiful TES at best.

• AselliaAsellia Member UncommonPosts: 174

Personally, I am really enjoying this game. I have stacked up around 60 hours so far,  and am likely about to finish the game.

I have noticed it is very, very easy if you do crafting. I mean, as a pure finnese, I have 1900 health/mana, and 2500 armor at level 37. Which granted is three levels before max, but nothing can kill me, and on top of that, I take down major bosses in 5 hits or less WITHOUT reckoning. The crafting, while one of my favorite crafting systems ever, is incredibly overpowered.

However, I have noticed a fair number of people complaining about things that are only apparent in early-mid game. For example, the later variations of enemies not only have some new attacks, but they are faster, and often times, attacking will NOT interrupt them. They won't stagger, or anything. This doesn't make the game all that much harder, but it does make it so you can't just spam left click non-stop.

Then again, at the same time, I also don't see the issues with the questing. Yes, there are some "kill 10 of this" quests. However, they are a bit more interesting to me then in WoW, or similar, maybe because I enjoy the lore and such, I don't know. But they don't feel repetitive to me, in most cases. Not once have I played a quest that I found boring.

Personally, I already have more gametime in Amalur then I do in Skyrim, and I enjoyed both a fair bit. Skyrim got kind of boring, since I bored myself on Oblivion/Morrowind in the past. As a result, Skyrim didn't last me nearly as long as the past two installments. However, Amalur felt pretty fresh, and so I've been enjoying it a deal, despite the lack of difficulty.

On the subject of visuals, I rather liked them. I liked the artistic style, and some areas were very fun to look around in, and such. I also didn't have any problems with the camera/movement, or very few. The only time I had a problem was a minor bug where the camera clipped into the floor slightly, which was fixed by backing up a step or two. But, it didn't seem too fast, and the zoom worked very well, I thought, at least for a semi-automated camera, due to the zoom.

• LizanteLizante Member Posts: 182

This --->

"If 38 Studios and Big Huge Games can get solve some of the awkward aspects of Reckoning, and take some of the better aspects into Copernicus the MMO is going to be a sure-fire hit."

That, of course, also depends on whether or not an obsession with Console versions doesn't ruin the PC MMO ...

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234

this game is good lack of titty is kind of a downer, lack of  real subclasses also stuff like a  shadowdancer ect ctrea, magic is nice but more variety in spells ! please

the game really shines in combat imo and you dont get hopelesslly lost like in some games

ive only got stuck once had to quick travel, thats probably because we cant jump. id agree a bit  bright in some areas