Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2!! What to do at level cap?

Hey all, I was just browsing some random gaming forums and I noticed some people saying they weren't sure what would keep people playing at the lvl cap. From all the vids and things I have heard about this game...for me personally the combat looks fun, the classes interesting and they have a really nice looking world pvp thing going on. I'm a big fan of pvp in mmos, though im pretty bad in general. My understanding is there will be very difficult 5 man dungeons and such at end game for the pve crowd and the aforementioned WvWvW and Rated PVP for pvpers. That seems like plenty to me.

Are the people saying it wont hold some at lvl cap just bitter we aren't getting 10 man+ raids with a gear grind? What is up with the gear in GW2? Would anyone be so kind as to fill me in on whats known about the role gear plays in pve/pvp endgame? I understand rated pvp gear plays no roled whatsoever as you get pre-made gear. But as far as pve and WvWvW are we looking at a grind? Or more like negligable stat increases and mostly cosmetic stuff?

Comments

• 1carcarah11carcarah1 Member Posts: 172

OMG

Theres nothing to us to grind or make us look like lab rats in a skinner box when we reach on GW2 endgame O.O

We're doomed

imageimageimageimage

Seriously

I think we're gonna play by the same reason people still play LoL when they reach level30: 

Cause Its fun

• arjiarji Member UncommonPosts: 93

Rated/ranked bg's = all get the same gear, all the skills, the stats scales to full lvl 80.

WvWvW=you keep your gear from PvE, any skill that you have unlocked so far, based stats scale to 80 (only base so you basically arent 80).

PvE= You earn gear by DE/instances which is mainly cosmetic BUT allows you to customize your char. which means that if the total attribute stats of 1 part are 80 then you can find a part with 20 health and 60 power or a part with 20 part and 60 health.

You also earn weapons with effects like lifesteal ( something like enchants)

So basically u customize your char to fit your playstyle at WvWvW.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Originally posted by 1carcarah1

OMG

Theres nothing to us to grind or make us look like lab rats in a skinner box when we reach on GW2 endgame O.O

We're doomed

imageimageimageimage

Seriously

I think we're gonna play by the same reason people still play LoL when they reach level30: 

Cause Its fun

That!

• Games888Games888 Member Posts: 243

instead of grinding gears u grind towers, keeps, and castles, samething diff objects that all.

• arjiarji Member UncommonPosts: 93

You dont grind anything couse you earn gear and exp from WvWvW so if you like to do RvR you earn your gear through this.

• MigPosadaMigPosada Member Posts: 92

Most games focus so much on gear and other methods of stat progress because their actual gameplay is dull and boring. They need an artificial reward so that people keep doing the same activities.

Hopefully it's not the case of GW2, I have high hopes in the WvWvW.

Like someone said before about LoL, if the game is actually fun, people will continue enjoying it beyond the level limit. 

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

Not to be snarky but it's the same thing that kept people playing after level 20 in Guild Wars. Guild Wars has never been about fat loot and the next big raid, it's been about the story and the journey you take through it. For those looking for the average MMO in terms of “need more” raiding or min-maxing (read more loot) they will want to look else where.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• ZederokZederok Member Posts: 13

World vs World will be primary focus.  Rated BG's will be my 2nd focus.  Farming Dynamic Events and forcing them to their chain conclusions will be my 3rd.  I wont even dabble with 5 man dungeons as I am not a PvE type of guy.

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205

*plays Bowie - Let's Dance*

I would enjoy leveling alll the other classes- but I am sure Arena will keep us entertained @ end game.. I am sure this game in the years to come will have some ace expansions, but the game is not out yet.. lets focus on creating a character first :D

slow down! its 5pm!!! off home - enjoy!

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

My guess is people will PvP for a while and exhaust whatever PvE content there is, then quit and go to the forums complaining that there is no end-game content.

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

Carry on what i was doing up the level cap: explore, do WvW, have fun with friends. I played GW1 for 900 hours after the level cap on my Paragon and not a second was a gear treadmill either.

GW2 is no different at level 80 than any other level in the game, in a good way.

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

WvWvW, Structured PvP, Dynamic Events, Hearts, Dungeons, Mini-Games, Titles, Achievements, Crafting, RP-ing, exploration, skill challenges etcetc. And because of scaling in PvE you can still do low level content. So basically you do exactly the same at max level as you did while leveling up.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Originally posted by Anubisan

My guess is people will PvP for a while and exhaust whatever PvE content there is, then quit and go to the forums complaining that there is no end-game content.

Judging by the content slated to be at launch, this is exactly how it'll go.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Diovidius

So basically you do exactly the same at max level as you did while leveling up.

Going to be a tough pill for many of the WoW generation to swallow.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

WvWvW, Structured PvP, Dynamic Events, Hearts, Dungeons, Mini-Games, Titles, Achievements, Crafting, RP-ing, exploration, skill challenges etcetc. And because of scaling in PvE you can still do low level content. So basically you do exactly the same at max level as you did while leveling up.

Ask yourself honestly, will you go back to lower level DE's if you've already done them once/twice (for friends etc) ?

I already know that i won't.

If i've already seen/done it once/twice, i rather never do the same thing again, they're still quests, only that you're introduced to them differently than the current "standard"

Other games already have "exploration, titles, achievements, crafting, rping, dungeons and the lot" Still people have exhausted themselves in a month or two.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.

Originally posted by Fusion

Ask yourself honestly, will you go back to lower level DE's if you've already done them once/twice (for friends etc) ?

If i've already seen/done it once/twice, i rather never do the same thing again, they're still quests, only that you're introduced to them differently than the current "standard"

I'm going to go back and do every Heart and Explorable Area and DE for every race in their starting zones.

You bet.

And because I will be downscaled in level to the area, it'll still be fun and potentially challenging.

Aye, but there's 1.5k of them. So it'll take you a good 300-400 hours to do them all anyway, not including travel and down time if they average at 10 minutes each. In essence, it'll be a while before you've done them all.

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

Originally posted by BadSpock

sounds exactly the same as WoW at max level to me. 

they are both heavy e-sport games...

keep thinking otherwise though

Other games already have "exploration, titles, achievements, crafting, rping, dungeons and the lot" Still people have exhausted themselves in a month or two.

And GW1 has been around since 2005.

WoW since 2004.

Your point is?

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by Anubisan

Much like GW1, there will be plenty for completionists to do. However people who need a dangling carrot will do exactly this.

Not saying whether that is right or wrong, it's the PvP that will keep me in the game, but I can see how GW2 endgame will lack appeal for PvE players who like to keep getting stronger rather than just smarter.

Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

The difference is that WoW players say the end game is the 'good bit' when it is exactly the same as the 'bad bit', just with less level grind and more gear grind o.O The same activity can't be both good and bad just because everyone can see the first bit and therefore say if it's interesting to them.

Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

Except you only get eSport Arena's and heroic dungeons and Raiding at max leveling in WoW... try again!

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

The point is, because of the nature of DE's, it is very likely you do not experience a lot of them while going through an area.

And of course people will exhaust the content after a while but so what? No game has endless content. As long as it gives enough content for the amount of money you pay for it, which seems likely considering GW2's pricing model.

And GW1 has been around since 2005.

WoW since 2004.

Your point is?

I don't know if there is a point.

Possibly that some people play too much?

Seriously, if someone can 'complete' the game's content in 2 months, they will have to have played 16 hours a day every day and not played WvW or any storylines other than the first one they did.

The game has roughly 1-1.5k hours of non-PvP, non repeated content by my best estimates (by comparison, ToR has about 400, most of the side quests being 'kill 10 X and collect 5 Y'). I played 1.8k hours of GW1 over 4 years. If someone can exhaust this game in 2 months they have serious issues and definitely no job or school.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Yep

Mostly the raiders I think though. I can see those people complaining everywhere a few weeks into the game. I suppose they can move on to the next mmo to devour.