Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your best memory of your favorite MMORPG?

Comments

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Star Wars Galaxies:

Got master Droid Engineer/Master Pikeman. Set up my harvesters across the galaxy, setup my storefront, stocked vendors, factories humming away.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

Originally posted by Jimmydean

EQ1 -   I was a monk.  Pulling Avatar of War for my first time.  There were 3 guilds fighting for the spawn, including mine. I pulled off a picture perfect pull, we killed the boss. I was awarded Flayed Barbarian Skin leggings for a job well done.

Games will never be that good again.

Those were some good leggings for quite some time lol.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Originally posted by phantomghost

Originally posted by Jimmydean

EQ1 -   I was a monk.  Pulling Avatar of War for my first time.  There were 3 guilds fighting for the spawn, including mine. I pulled off a picture perfect pull, we killed the boss. I was awarded Flayed Barbarian Skin leggings for a job well done.

Games will never be that good again.

Those were some good leggings for quite some time lol.

Yea I certainly didn't replace them with "greens" from the next expansion. F'cking WoW...

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

I remember once while playing Final Fantasy XI, I was running through La Theine Plateau and I came across a ram.

...wasn't an ordinary Battering Ram, it was an NM (notorious monster).

...wasn't Lumbering Lambert, who also appears in La Theine from time to time...it was Bloodtear Baldurf, an extremely rare, and at the time crazy powerful NM.

I was a Lv. 55 Samurai. La Theine Plateau is a level 7~10ish zone. I thought to myself, "Woah I've never seen that thing before...but I'm Lv. 55, nothing in LaTheine can kill me." So I attacked him.

Five seconds later, he pops Mighty Strikes (an ability that makes every hit an auto critical). Three seconds after my character dropped. Two seconds later, so did my jaw.

Unexpectedly strong monsters in low level areas...you just don't see that anymore. Granted it was one of those "look back and laugh at it later" moments, but those were good times.

lol same thing happened to me except in konstach highlands.. FFXI had my most memorable moments. when i was lvl 5, accidently thinking leaping lizzy was a regular lizzy.. getting chased from zone to zone by goblins.. good times.. My most memorable would be fighting the shadowlord.. first time you enter his throne room and fight him.. man... was i sacred.... also going into gusgen mines to get your magicked skull... and going in to far by mistake..... that place was creepy.

shadowbane would be my second.. going against lod as Dof/silent tribe... when we attacked lod on thier turf, it was the most epic battle.. i think it lasted for 2 days if my memory serves me correctly.. that was pvp at its best.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

SWG, Running with my guild, our city got attacked one night, 30 or so rebels against 5 of us that were at the city, when the dust cleared all 5 of us were alive and every rebel had died at least twice :)

*tear* SWG we miss you so....

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Huge siege of Aden Castle in Lineage 2. It seemed like the entire server was there and the fight took the entire 2 hours.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by DannyGlover

Star Wars Galaxies:Got master Droid Engineer/Master Pikeman. Set up my harvesters across the galaxy, setup my storefront, stocked vendors, factories humming away.

The joy of spinning plates as a crafter, occasionally getting out of the chair to make adjustments to the well oiled machine.*

*metaphors were mixed intentionally for the hard of thinking

Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by DannyGloverStar Wars Galaxies:Got master Droid Engineer/Master Pikeman. Set up my harvesters across the galaxy, setup my storefront, stocked vendors, factories humming away.

The joy of spinning plates as a crafter, occasionally getting out of the chair to make adjustments to the well oiled machine.*

*metaphors were mixed intentionally for the hard of thinking

hehe exactly. stuff like that and socializing are the main reasons I play mmos. All these devs scrambling to make online combat games. Ooo we gotta make combat more dynamic, we gotta make pvp competitive, we gotta have the action more actiony. Then they have the balls to say they are making a virtual world? please...

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

FFXI being my first MMO, I ran around for hours in Bastok trying to figure out what I was meant to be doing. My first time in the Dunes I was in awe at the number of xp parties and all these groups working together was amazing at the time.

Finding out a melon pie gave me extra mana was really cool..

Was waiting for a member to join our party, thought I would try out fishing while waiting, nobody said a word even though I said I was going to fish, casts my worm out, a few seconds later, screen message "you have caught a monster", hey guys a got a big fish, yay, 5 seconds later we are all eating sand.

I incorrectly priced an item at 30k instead of 300k in my Bazaar, the person who bought it while I was afk contacted me and sent me the amount it was really worth, now that what I call good honest community spirit.

I've played a lot of other MMO's but FFXI holds the best memories, not for being my first MMO, but for being the best community and some of the best gameplay experience I have never gotten from other games.

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320

Originally posted by biggarfoot

FFXI being my first MMO, I ran around for hours in Bastok trying to figure out what I was meant to be doing. My first time in the Dunes I was in awe at the number of xp parties and all these groups working together was amazing at the time.

Finding out a melon pie gave me extra mana was really cool..

Was waiting for a member to join our party, thought I would try out fishing while waiting, nobody said a word even though I said I was going to fish, casts my worm out, a few seconds later, screen message "you have caught a monster", hey guys a got a big fish, yay, 5 seconds later we are all eating sand.

I incorrectly priced an item at 30k instead of 300k in my Bazaar, the person who bought it while I was afk contacted me and sent me the amount it was really worth, now that what I call good honest community spirit.

I've played a lot of other MMO's but FFXI holds the best memories, not for being my first MMO, but for being the best community and some of the best gameplay experience I have never gotten from other games.

out of all the communities in mmo's ive played. ffxi was the best. i have never seen North American( na for short) bond together in anygame like this. since the japanese wanted nothing to do with the na playerbase for the most part, it was up to us to take care of one another. This is exactly what people did. shouting for help instantly got you answers, and not retarded ones like, "look it up", " your a noob", "reroll".. stuff like this never happened. even if you sent random people tells asking for help about stuff, 7/10 times they would help you with words of advice or physical help. i have never seen a better community. what happened to biggarfoot happened often, and people were pretty honest about giving refunds for stuff, or paying you whats do. i meant to spend 50k on an item and spend 500k by mistake lol. the guy returned the diff to me with no trouble.. thats love..

asking for help from a jp player was a totally diff story though lol.

FFXI was the only other game besides EQ that I really thought was a GREAT MMOrpg. Had a lot of fun there as well.  Sadly EQ2 was headed in the right direction at launch, but then Sony decided to turn it into WoW. Sad.

• ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151

EQ1, defeating the Rathe encounter for the first time. In doing so my guild was able to access the plane of time. This encounter took a fairly long amount of time, as far as MMO raiding standards are concerned. It also took a full raid (72 people) of well geared players. Those who played EQ1 back in the day know how much concentration and organization this encounter took. I'm sure there will be some out there who will call me a masochist for mentioning this encounter, but looking back, this was one of THE most difficult, yet rewarding raids to defeat in terms of progression.

Originally posted by ace80k

EQ1, defeating the Rathe encounter for the first time. In doing so my guild was able to access the plane of time. This encounter took a fairly long amount of time, as far as MMO raiding standards are concerned. It also took a full raid (72 people) of well geared players. Those who played EQ1 back in the day know how much concentration and organization this encounter took. I'm sure there will be some out there who will call me a masochist for mentioning this encounter, but looking back, this was one of THE most difficult, yet rewarding raids to defeat in terms of progression.

I definitely remember the Rathe Council.  So much fun.  Learning the encounter was rough, because it took like 2-3 hours to complete the one encounter! haha. So much fun to finally beat it, and step into the Plane of Time.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

World of Warcraft:

Brother, nephew, and I would terrorize Tarren Mill and get people defending, then they attacked Southshore and it went back and forth for hours.   By the end, there were so many people that it was like two armies fighting.

2nd favorite memory in Warcraft was doing the "flagged pvp while afk" trick.  2 of us were stealthers, one sat as bait and someone would come along and attack the "afk" guy and then got destroyed.  You would not believe how many people cussed us out for that. Very funny stuff.

3rd favorite: Halaa battles.  Loved them.

I'm feeling nostalgic.  It's sad because I know you can't do any of those things anymore.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

swg - the whole game from beta to nge.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• LlarsLlars Member UncommonPosts: 40

Out of all the great memories I have two that always come to mind first, one from EQ and one from DAoC.

The EQ memory was my first trip all the way from Quenos to Freeport... at level 14. To those that didn't play, level 14 was WAY too low for that trip. .  I basically had to pick my way through 5 zones where EVERYTHING in them could kill me easily.  Days later, after dying to bears, huge swarms of like a 100 beetles, griffawns, skeletons, scarecrows, some douchebag NPC Dark Elf who roamed the West Highlands and more, I finally made it.  To this day that was one of the toughest MMORPG undertakings I ever accomplished. That and a lot of other smaller but similar episodes are why when I think of adventure in an MMO, I always think of EQ.

SoW and Invis please! :)

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Stogie Sam on the Champion server in City of Heroes.

I played the game socially, had a lot of pals play and I liked it. I probably made 60 + more characters in it than any other MMO ever just cuz it was fun seeing everything in that game.

But my most favorite time was getting to about level 20 and going into the first pvp zone. Bloody Bay to get the buffs and the shard from there. Everyone groaned about if heroes showed up (we were villains) we should just go away and try when the zone was empty.

WELL I came to that game after Shadowbane so I wasn't having it. The trash talking started and it was FUN and not disrespectful, but real taunts. You know villain v hero type stuff.

My group of non pvpers got into it and I swear we all learned how to play our team so well after that it became sort of our proving ground. Go in there and see how our combos did against the skirt wearing heroes.

I loved it.
    Tons of respect to my fellow players.
    Just an all around great time.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• Originally posted by ForumPvP

The Unstoppable Force + old stormstrike + 24h Alterac valley

super fun fun!

WoW Vanilla.

Heh Original AV.  When I first logged into WoW on the PvP server I made my tauren druid on (pre-BC) there was some level 60 night elf druid running aroudn the starter area killing and NPCs and then killing any level 1-10s that got close.  Later on the same Druid would camp nessingways camp and chased me all the way through that gorge river thing just kill me even though it took her like 5 minutes to actually chase me down at level like 32.

Fast forward to me doing AV at max level in one alterac valley the horde had pushed up to the alliance starter fort but we had not quite crossed the bridge.  We started pushing through the NPC and fortifications and I was mostly feral specced smashing thigns a bear.  I start chasing people and whacking them.  I chase this one druid all the way through the whole fort and finally kill them at the alliance spawn point having run throught the whole fort then die as everyone as the spawn focus fires me.

Was that same tool ganker druid I didn't even realize it until  I saw their corpse.  Man they sucked in a real fight.

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

Probably the first time I got attacked by a player in WoW.  This was my first taste of PvP in a MMO.  I got my ass beat, but it was pretty damn exciting.  

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Lineage 2

There are so many moments but overall I think its when one day I just looked at my character that was level 80 and thinking to my self that I cant belive how far I have come in this game. I had never thought that I would one day have a high level toon in Lineage 2 but I actually had done it and never really even noticed it till that one day. I thought of all my old friends who most did not make it. Thinking all you guys had to do was just keep playing and not quit. Took about 5 years of rerolling / rage quiting  but I had done it.  This was back  when the game was still hardcore so it was a major feeling of acomplishment.

• TwinGuardTwinGuard Member Posts: 9

My most memorable MMO moments both come from EQ1. #1 would be training Lguk all the way from the bottom to the entrance of Uguk or picking a fight with someone near a guard and fiegn death-ing just to have the guard kill them as I get up and walk away. #2 Being summonded and then forgotten in the "GM" room in EQ while awaiting a verdict in a loot stealing issue.( wasnt me =) )

• GreenieGreenie Member Posts: 553

Dark Age of Camelot Pre-ToA. Pretty much every encounter you can think of RvR or PVE.  Back in those days

the community was the best.  Hopefully GW2 will bring back that RvR feel and server pride that DaoC had.

• HopfrogHopfrog Member Posts: 90

It's amazing how many great memories were spawned by DAoC. I didn't play it for too long, but it spawned some cool memories for me as well. As someone mentioned the stealth assasins not breaking stealth... lol I remember soon after launch people just dropping like flies as a powerleveler came into Midgard stealthed and was oneshotting us off one by one and no one knew what the heck was going on... so funny just watching people dropping left and right for no visible reason.

Also in DAoC, I remember questing in some woods on a hill and seeing a giant Rat come running towards me and was like.. what in the heck is that thing! And then a locust of little rats (I think, memory fading), running through the area in front of it and wiping us all out.  Totally freaked me out.

But my fondest memory comes from Vanilla WoW.  Before battlegrounds and arenas, when people PvP'ed for honor and reputation.  We used to go back and forth on the Dragonblight server pushing each other between Tarren Mill and Southshore. My little gnome fire mage got a bit of a reputation so after taking a beating from the Horde I got in general and started organizing an assauilt.  Lol, I can still remember running back in forth in front of about 100 Alliance players all lined up on the hill overlooking Tarren Mill and screaming "Hold the line!", and then "Charge!" as we overran them and finally got one over on the Horde. Those were great times.

I always shake my head when developers talking about how they are going to "add great story".... don't they get it... in MMOs we make the stories!... look at all these great memories, what do most have in common?  They are epic tales about the actions of players, not some scripted voiceover cutscenes.....sigh... good times.

• dimasokdimasok Member UncommonPosts: 183

The best memory is the memory where I first played an MMO.. which was TOR... the first time joining up with other people to defeat a tough level on Balmorra was really fun! We were standing there, recovering our health and prepping to take on the next mob and i felt my blood boiling. A lot of lives were lost that day :)

Originally posted by dimasok
    The best memory is the memory where I first played an MMO.. which was TOR... the first time joining up with other people to defeat a tough level on Balmorra was really fun! We were standing there, recovering our health and prepping to take on the next mob and i felt my blood boiling. A lot of lives were lost that day :)

That's what its all about right there. Welcome to the genre! :)