Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your best memory of your favorite MMORPG?

Comments

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Mine is a simple one from Dark Age of Camelot. It can't happen in modern MMOs for several reasons.

I was a lowbie level 7 or so Armsman (which meant I'd been playing for a few days, rather than the few minutes it takes to hit 7 nowadays) and I was looking for adventure. I had heard about a dungeon called the Tomb of Mithra, so I wandered over. It was way too dangerous for my low level character. I was just barely killing the things on the first floor. I got myself killed, and a friendly cleric came by to rez me. "Follow me" he says. So, he takes me deeper into the dungeon and brings me to a large group of people. I get invited into the group and make introductions, and had a grand time. Those monsters I was struggling to kill before fell by the dozens. We burned through the dungeon, wandering deeper and deeper, no one being too familiar with the MANY twists and turns. (No map, thankfully). We'd pass other groups as we went, stopping to talk sometimes, picking up new people on the way. Eventually we keep getting swarmed by these things called Bleeders. We'd heard rumors they're attracted to silver so we all drop our silver lined map cases. A fun bit of paranoia.

We push deeper until we find this kind of safe camp near the bottom. The roaming mobs outside wouldn't agro us from there. We stayed in this spot for a while, killing until the clerics were out of power, we laughed and told stories, and just socialized with eachother. Something you don't get nowadays (don't even get PUGs anymore). But, then disaster struck. At around 2 in the morning, the bleeders returned, deciding we'd had enough. Three hatchlings tore down the stairs and started attacking us while we were resting. We dispatched them, but their cry attracked the brood mother. Then the room repopped. Skeletons, bleeders, hatchlings, everywhere. I tried to get as many on me as I could, not wanting anyone to suffer the death penalty, but the leader shouted to retreat. As we ran someone said he thought he knew a secret passage. We split up to look for it. The running was TENSE knowing that death actually meant something. Some of the group ran all the way to the entrance with the mobs behind them, others fell through the invisible gateway. I hit the invisible escape route and was teleported into an upside down house with demons outside it, back out in the overworld. I had no idea where I was and I was too afraid to move. A few more group mates popped in behind me and together we took down the demon and followed landmarks until we realized where we were. We all met up later at the bridge to sell our goods and laugh about it. We added eachother to our friends lists and met up the next day, and every day for the next week.

Now, because of instanced dungeons and quest grinding, that kind of group would never form. That kind of tense situation would never take place because there's no death penalty. That kind of lost exploration won't happen because there's always an in game map. I miss those days.

I have one more exceptional memory about a relic raid, but I'll save it for another time.

Alasti
  • ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

nice thread - feels like we need a campfire to tell our stories around.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Camelot as well...but completely different!

The last major (and I mean MAJOR) relic raid that Docoloth led pre NF.  It was an absolute blast.  I was playing my Bard at the time - which made it even more interesting - what with the lag we caused (people being left behind, insta mez taking 10 seconds to cast, etc.)  Of course - with the sheer number of people involved - any attempt at secrecy was blown - it's just hard to try and sneak that many people out of the portal keeps :D

BTW - hib side only we had 2.5 battlegroups involved (that's 500 people)  It's kind of why I giggle when people think that 100V100 is big :D

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

And though everyone has been trashing LoTRO lately I have a fond memory from there.  Back before they nerfed it, when the Mines of Moria first opened I was in awe of what they gave us.  It stretched forever and there was a lot to do.  I remember that I had an older machine and kept lagging and dying.. until I figured out that there was an orc hiding at the ytop of the stairs and found another way around - and eventually a better computer.  (bumping this thread because I like it alot better than the million "My game which is not out yet is better than your game which is not out yet" threads)

Currently bored with MMO's.

• TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

Darkfall. Actually killing another player. I know that doesn't seem that "cool" but man I got such an adrenaline rush when it happened. I don't play it anymore. Might check out 2.0 whenever it will be released but man....for all the times I got ganked I finally killed a ganker and happily took a shot afterwards.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

My most memorable gameplay related MMO memory is helping plan a city layout for my guild, and then making most of the structures as the guild's sole architect. It was very satisfying to see my many hours of gameplay (even longer for collecting resources and factories churning out components) result in an actual city in the game world where before there was nothing.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i would have to say the first time i actually did WoW's arena with rl friends all on vent. i had played only console games with rl friends before, and that was my first mmo so everything was very fresh and exciting. once i discovered that 5 other rl friends played WoW we eneded up making an arena team.

it was so friken intence, exciting and incredibly hilarious. i used to have dreams where i would try to figure out how to beat certain class set ups, or where i would get cold sweats when someone would shout "Mage/rogue/priest" or "druid/warrior".

it's definately one of the most memorable highlights of my mmo history.

some of the epic AV battles back when they used to last 8+ hours are also right up there. again it was my first true mmo and those battles felt so insanely epic.....

MO would come 3rd with it's incredible vision. ever since playing Oblivion and WoW i've wanted an mmo like MO. by then i had played my share of traditional mmos and i was getting quite tired of the whole genre but MO was just incredibly fresh. it was incredibly exciting and captivating for a long time.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

Dark Age of Camelot., back at launch. So many good memories. Realm vs realm vs realm (3 sides) with keep sieges and stealthed players that didnt break stealth when they oneshot people :p

The PvP dungeon with extra nice loot, that would open to the side with most keeps, etc etc

I just found out recently what the three Realms are :p

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

EQ is my favorite: My best memory would be just meeting the people I played the game with for years leveling up at least 1 of everything to max level.  Grouping in general.

SWG: Never played much because I preferred EQ1 but I did enjoy running around on the game with my EQ buddies.

WoW: Quitting was best for me.

AoC: Leveling up the worst class Dark Templar to 80 then quitting.

Darkfall: Major clan war... too bad the GMs were on other team and we posted videos of proof of the gms cheating, and got banned from forums... so I ended up quitting because of that and lack of time.

MO: PvP with the clan.

Rift: Quitting.

SWTOR: Quitting.

Originally posted by phantomghost

Darkfall: Major clan war... too bad the GMs were on other team and we posted videos of proof of the gms cheating, and got banned from forums... so I ended up quitting because of that and lack of time.

Oh no you're one of those conspiracy theory nuts aren't you? The Darkfall GMs don't play the game, they're hired out from an independent GMing company. If its the time I remember, I'm fairly certain the GM was just dumb, not "corrupt".

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Originally posted by Garvon3

Oh no you're one of those conspiracy theory nuts aren't you? The Darkfall GMs don't play the game, they're hired out from an independent GMing company. If its the time I remember, I'm fairly certain the GM was just dumb, not "corrupt".

Lol Private GMing company? What is the name of this company you just dreamed up in yoru head? The devs in Darkfall did play in the factions. Not usre if they still allow them too, but on launch it was pretty pathetic. Magical server shutdowns were the most obvious. Oh no we're about to lose! Oh a miracle the server crashed seconds befor eour city was claimed. WHAT A WONDEREFUL COINCIDENCE!

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

We actually hired the Mercs to brign the first built ship to destroy our enemies. 

The function to show where the shard holder was was broken... so we took a rafter with 10 guys out to protect shard holder.  And magically he happen to get killed  when an unkillable person happen to land on the raft.  Port away, and then shortly after the whole enemy clan was on the raft.

• JahzirJahzir Member Posts: 3

EQ 1 for sure, my very first MMO that I played. I use to group up with a friend and we would do everything together, quad kiting was my favorite on my druid on Erollisi Marr, or camping mobs to get rare pieces to make some good gear. My most favorite was raiding though, I raided 5 days a week and was in 1 of the bes guilds on that server, Magister was the name of the guild :)  so pretty much loved everything about that game.

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

Lol Private GMing company? What is the name of this company you just dreamed up in yoru head? The devs in Darkfall did play in the factions. Not usre if they still allow them too, but on launch it was pretty pathetic. Magical server shutdowns were the most obvious. Oh no we're about to lose! Oh a miracle the server crashed seconds befor eour city was claimed. WHAT A WONDEREFUL COINCIDENCE!

Ah, yes, so you ARE one of those conspiracy nuts. I'm glad you have sooo much proof behind your allegations. Oh wait... The closest you had to DF devs "playing in the factions" (is it the devs or the GMs, you keep changing your story, the devs are not the GMs) is that two of the Aventurine founders were friends with a lady that is in Mercs. That's about it. The GMs don't even have the ability to kill other players or spawn items, specifically for that reason.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

This is a tough question.  I have lots of stories from several games, but since my favorite MMO so far is EQ2, I'll tell an EQ2 story. :)

It was 2004 and I was exploring The Enchanted Lands.  I got stuck in an area that was all triple ups and I was just barely a passable level for the zone, myself and had no one with me.  I died (ouch) right where an open world boss spawns, but he wasn't up at the time, so...I didn't know that.

Had to get my guild together to help me go get my body, of course I'm naked....no armor....it's on my corpse.  So we head out to retrieve my corpse and I go to get it.....just as I re-enter my body ( basically) the boss respawns and I'm horribly slaughtered in one blow.  Oh the xp debt....oh the humanity.

I don't remember what happened next, it's all a blur........

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

I'll relate another one of my favorite DAoC memories. This will give an example of the SCALE MMOs once had, even on dial up. As tech has gotten better, this type of thing has become more and more impossible in modern MMOs for some reason.

So, in DAoC, there are 3 realms vying for control of a frontier. Each realm has their own frontier, divided by oceans. In those frontier are keeps, in a few of these keeps there are relics kept. These are insanely important and usually go to show who is dominating RvR at that point. These relics give bonuses to the realm that has them. Significant bonuses.

So, Albion had quite a few of the relics and Hibernia and Midgard wanted them back. Midgard and Hibernia entered into talks on message boards, plotting their revenge. Those of us in Albion had no idea what was about to happen.

One weekend, a massive Caer Sidi raid was scheduled. This type of thing usually involved several alliances (a group of guilds that shared a chat channel). So we probably had about 100 or so of our best level 50 players 5 hours deep into the hardest raid dungeon in the game.

Spies for the other realms in the alliance alerted their sides of this event. So, at a critical moment, Hibernia and Midgard attacked at the same time. There were about 400 Hibernians and 300 Midgard players running through the Albion frontier, crushing castle walls. Their goal was to take four of our main keeps. That would shut down our supply line and teleport network. With that done, they'd  move on to the relic keep. Without supplies the relic keep would be much less defended, they could crack it open and take the relics back to their realms.

So now the moment was on us. Alarms went out in every alliance chat calling EVERYONE to arms. All level 50s, even level 10s and 20s. The instructions were for everyone to scramble and meet at the relic keep. Someone made the decisive to cut our losses, and not try to defend the other keeps. As the storm of enemies moved through the frontier we had a massive stream of people moving to the relic keep, carrying wood and diagrams metal, materials. While most of us were at the keep setting up trebuchets, balistas, catapults, boiling oil (even the lowbies could run siege engines) a crack group of level 50s went out to stall the enemy. They made a last stand in the fourth keep, and stalled the enemy long enough for us to get defenders to the relic keep. We constantly got updates in the alliance feed on enemy locations and the status of allies running to defend. Finally, all became quiet for a while. The fourth keep had fallen and the combined 750 man force was coming towards us. At this point we'd gathered 500 men to fight, mostly lowbies in siege engines. We felt the lag before we saw the enemy, everything locked up and then snapped back into normal speed. We sat on a hill while we saw the two armies approach. Midgard was down to our left, Hibernia to the right. Thankfully the two armies distrusted one another and didn't merge together. They attacked in seperate waves, and I think that's what saved us. Between the three of us, it was a CONSTANT battle for hours. I had never, in my four years of playing, seen that many siege engines going. Fireballs were exploding everywhere an enemy showed up, players died, rezzed, and reentered the fight. Lowbies stayed on the walls helping where they could.

Eventually though, Albion was overwhelmed, the relics were taken and the castle destroyed. But we weren't done yet. To capture the relics, the enemy had to get them back to their home frontier, across the ocean. We set up a naval fleet and blockaded the ocean port. There was a fierce naval fight in the Irish Sea and in the ensuing scramble, the Midgard ship carrying the relics sank to the bottom of the sea, and the relics were lost until the next server maintainence.

That is still one of my fondest PvP memories, and it makes me shake my head wondering why no one tries to copy DAoC.

Originally posted by Jahzir

EQ 1 for sure, my very first MMO that I played. I use to group up with a friend and we would do everything together, quad kiting was my favorite on my druid on Erollisi Marr, or camping mobs to get rare pieces to make some good gear. My most favorite was raiding though, I raided 5 days a week and was in 1 of the bes guilds on that server, Magister was the name of the guild :)  so pretty much loved everything about that game.

Yeah I loved the variety of groups... and how you could make any group work... it just depended on your willingness to try.  Might have longer downtimes than standard groups but you could do work.

Raiding was pretty fun.  I used to raid a few hours a night M-F and like 4-10 hours Sat/Sun depending on guilds mood.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

UO

Killing deer for the first time

Building my first house on an island

Cutting down trees to create my own furniture

First PvP experience, then realizing it was a dangerous world lol

EQ

Killing wolves on the ramp

Making it to Starn's on the plains for the first time

SWG

Camping brutes outside the Mos Eiseley starport before they were removed

Getting my first house on the beach

My gun duster collection

My GURREKS! :(

Freedom

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

AC2-Darktide me and my clan had planned on doing a dungeons called Mage acedamy in short we called in AC2 MA.

We thought we keeped it a good secret, but it seem some SPY still got the word on our dungeon runs so it went little different then we had planned hehe.

So where inside dungeon still near entrance starting on mobs in the dungeon when suddenly enemy clan portals also inside and we have WAR inside, mobs on oneside attacking us and the enemy clan on others side BEST TIMES and we plenty of those in Asheron's call 2 Darktide those days, was awesome back in the old days.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Had several memorable games, so hard to chose:

1) DAOC, was a member of Shadowclan, RPG on Mordred and we issued a "challenge" to the server.  We announced that we were going to walk from one end of Midguard to the other end, and dared anyone to stop us.  The guild that managed to do so would win 10M gold (back when that was still a lot).  We fought long and valiently, but eventually a guild did manage to stop our progress so they won the jackpot.

2) EVE - Had been playing for about 6 months, had just joined a null sec corp for the first time, and about a month after my arrival our alliance (Frege) came under assault from Smash-Roadkill.  We fought valiently, but in fairly short order we were booted from free space, lost all of our stations and we realigned ourselves with the Northern Coalation.  Then I was involved in 3 months of POS busting in the BOB war before a broken laptop took me out of the fight for a few months.

3)  WOW - Yes, I played, it, and I really enjoyed it back at launch.  One of my favorite things was the final quest to get Onyxia's key, where you march into the city as valiant heroes with all the npc's practically worshipping you and calling out your name.  From a guild achievement, the night we finally downed the final boss in BW Lair was probably a most memorable accomplishment.

4) Shadowbane - The morning I logged in to check on something on my character only to find our beautiful clan city walls breached and almost every building razed to the ground, with only the few bldg's protected by the tree still standing.  Was actually the end of my time in SB because I couldn't figure out how to combat these 3 am raids which sort of circumvented the intended desire of the designers.

Oh, so many memories, I could go on for days, I'll stop here while I'm ahead.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

Camping AMG in Emain on my Nightshade.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Dungeons & Dragons Online - Playing through the Vault of Night series on my lvl 10 Rogue for the first time. The encounter with the red dragon was one of the most epic moments in my MMORPG history.

Runescape - Playing Castle Wars and getting the game-winning flag capture. I know this can be shunned upon, but I also had a lot of fun tricking other players to kill them or steal their items.

• ZyllosZyllos Member UncommonPosts: 537

Not sure if this is my strongest, best, or fondest memory but it is a memory none the lest.

In EQ, in the Butcherblock Mountains, on my Erudite Wizard, on the Vallon Zek Racial PvP server, I was running around near the GFey zoneline looking for darkies when a shortie attacked me! It was a Dwarf rogue, the bugger, and he was a bit stronger than I so I decided to root and run.

Luckly, the root lasted a while and did not break early so I got some distance between him and myself. But shortly afterward, he found me and attacked me. I was sure I was hidden from him so, at the time, I had an offhand book which produced light. So while I was running away from him, I tried to unequip it but accidently dropped it in the world and he picked it up.

But, the friendly sport he was, after killing me, he gave me the item back.

See if that would ever happen now days in MMOs.

MMOs Played: I can no longer list them all in the 500 character limit.

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

I'll relate another one of my favorite DAoC memories. This will give an example of the SCALE MMOs once had, even on dial up. As tech has gotten better, this type of thing has become more and more impossible in modern MMOs for some reason.

So, in DAoC, there are 3 realms vying for control of a frontier. Each realm has their own frontier, divided by oceans. In those frontier are keeps, in a few of these keeps there are relics kept. These are insanely important and usually go to show who is dominating RvR at that point. These relics give bonuses to the realm that has them. Significant bonuses.

So, Albion had quite a few of the relics and Hibernia and Midgard wanted them back. Midgard and Hibernia entered into talks on message boards, plotting their revenge. Those of us in Albion had no idea what was about to happen.

One weekend, a massive Caer Sidi raid was scheduled. This type of thing usually involved several alliances (a group of guilds that shared a chat channel). So we probably had about 100 or so of our best level 50 players 5 hours deep into the hardest raid dungeon in the game.

Spies for the other realms in the alliance alerted their sides of this event. So, at a critical moment, Hibernia and Midgard attacked at the same time. There were about 400 Hibernians and 300 Midgard players running through the Albion frontier, crushing castle walls. Their goal was to take four of our main keeps. That would shut down our supply line and teleport network. With that done, they'd  move on to the relic keep. Without supplies the relic keep would be much less defended, they could crack it open and take the relics back to their realms.

So now the moment was on us. Alarms went out in every alliance chat calling EVERYONE to arms. All level 50s, even level 10s and 20s. The instructions were for everyone to scramble and meet at the relic keep. Someone made the decisive to cut our losses, and not try to defend the other keeps. As the storm of enemies moved through the frontier we had a massive stream of people moving to the relic keep, carrying wood and diagrams metal, materials. While most of us were at the keep setting up trebuchets, balistas, catapults, boiling oil (even the lowbies could run siege engines) a crack group of level 50s went out to stall the enemy. They made a last stand in the fourth keep, and stalled the enemy long enough for us to get defenders to the relic keep. We constantly got updates in the alliance feed on enemy locations and the status of allies running to defend. Finally, all became quiet for a while. The fourth keep had fallen and the combined 750 man force was coming towards us. At this point we'd gathered 500 men to fight, mostly lowbies in siege engines. We felt the lag before we saw the enemy, everything locked up and then snapped back into normal speed. We sat on a hill while we saw the two armies approach. Midgard was down to our left, Hibernia to the right. Thankfully the two armies distrusted one another and didn't merge together. They attacked in seperate waves, and I think that's what saved us. Between the three of us, it was a CONSTANT battle for hours. I had never, in my four years of playing, seen that many siege engines going. Fireballs were exploding everywhere an enemy showed up, players died, rezzed, and reentered the fight. Lowbies stayed on the walls helping where they could.

Eventually though, Albion was overwhelmed, the relics were taken and the castle destroyed. But we weren't done yet. To capture the relics, the enemy had to get them back to their home frontier, across the ocean. We set up a naval fleet and blockaded the ocean port. There was a fierce naval fight in the Irish Sea and in the ensuing scramble, the Midgard ship carrying the relics sank to the bottom of the sea, and the relics were lost until the next server maintainence.

That is still one of my fondest PvP memories, and it makes me shake my head wondering why no one tries to copy DAoC.

It seems the majority of people here have their fondest memories from games like EQ and DAoC. Mostly DAoC. I'd venture forward that games like LotRO and their like don't create or inspire many memories because their game mechanics don't bring you into the game. There are never any stakes, you're rarely with other people, there's nothing to create the kind of scenario above. No risk vs reward, no depth.

I'd also venture forth that DAoC had the best balance between PvE crafting and PvP of any MMO ever made.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

EQ1 -   I was a monk.  Pulling Avatar of War for my first time.  There were 3 guilds fighting for the spawn, including mine. I pulled off a picture perfect pull, we killed the boss. I was awarded Flayed Barbarian Skin leggings for a job well done.

Games will never be that good again.