Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why say there is no trinity?

Comments

• SanctumSanctum Member Posts: 179

Originally posted by ComfyChair

Originally posted by fony

can't wait to "spec healing" on my water ele. two "healing" skills on long cooldowns ticking for that beastly 99HP, saving my allies from those 2K damage hits.

Considering the healing skills will heal 79hp without the traits, yeah, you're really rolling now ;) Without those traits you wouldn't have been able to do anything! That 20hp basically makes you a dedicated healer and you may as well give up on damage! Your fireballs only do 200 instead of 240!

Yes, i am being deadly serious, that's pretty much the effect traits have. That and some extra conditions on some attacks to give them more 'flavour' :)

I suggest you start looking more into traits some have massive impacts

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

Originally posted by Sanctum

can't wait to "spec healing" on my water ele. two "healing" skills on long cooldowns ticking for that beastly 99HP, saving my allies from those 2K damage hits.

Considering the healing skills will heal 79hp without the traits, yeah, you're really rolling now ;) Without those traits you wouldn't have been able to do anything! That 20hp basically makes you a dedicated healer and you may as well give up on damage! Your fireballs only do 200 instead of 240!

Yes, i am being deadly serious, that's pretty much the effect traits have. That and some extra conditions on some attacks to give them more 'flavour' :)

I suggest you start looking more into traits some have massive impacts

Not as big as people are making out actually :) They're actually not much more effective than most weapon enhancements in GW1 overall. An absolutely full tree is like having a 'perfect' weapon for that particular kind of build. It'll give you an edge, but doesn't mean you can't do anything else. It's like how zealous really helped out quick hitting builds, but never meant you couldn't play a slow hitting build too with that weapon.

Trust me, I know the system.

there's support oritented traits

there's healing oriented traits/attributes

healing oriented runes

healing oriented gear

same for dps/durability

Oh, trust me, i know everything about the traits system :)

Including their effects and how meaningful they are (not all that much, they're additional flavour, not a game changer). Please refer to the exchange up the top of this page.

not meaningful lol ok bro

50% crit on stealth not meaningful

20% lower venom cooldown

1 more venom strike

1 more stealth second

etc

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...87888p8u92969b

also you're forgetting that you can put runes in your gear and your gear can be healing/crit/power etc based

healing oriented runes

healing oriented gear

same for dps/durability

Including their effects and how meaningful they are (not all that much, they're additional flavour, not a game changer). Please refer to the exchange up the top of this page.

20% lower venom cooldown

1 more venom strike

1 more stealth second

etc

No, they're not :) Not in the grand scheme of things. They're small buffs. You get bigger relative buffs when you pick certain nodes in the witcher 2, and that's saying something! :D

I've followed the game since it was announced. I know the trait system. I know essentially every mechanic they've announced. I'm not worried about traits in the slightest, they actually look quite cool for customisation. That lack of concern from me should probably tell you that you *may* be overreacting a little. Especially that statement about 'not being able to do something' because of traits, that was fairly absurd.

healing oriented runes

healing oriented gear

same for dps/durability

20% lower venom cooldown

1 more venom strike

1 more stealth second

etc

No, they're not :) Not in the grand scheme of things. They're small buffs. You get bigger relative buffs when you pick certain nodes int he witcher 2, and that's saying something :)

LOL

again,

50% crit on stealth + 1 more stealth second + steal stealths + might on stealth + 2 ini every time you go into stealth

more precision over 90% health + crits can give initiative + fury(crit) when lower than 50% hp + crit puts vulnerability http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Rune_of_Rage + gear with crit 

+20% less venom cooldown + 1 more venom strike

bro that seems pretty massive to me

healing oriented runes

healing oriented gear

same for dps/durability

20% lower venom cooldown

1 more venom strike

1 more stealth second

etc

No, they're not :) Not in the grand scheme of things. They're small buffs. You get bigger relative buffs when you pick certain nodes in the witcher 2, and that's saying something! :D

I've followed the game since it was announced. I know the trait system. I know essentially every mechanic they've announced. I'm not worried about traits in the slightest, they actually look quite cool for customisation. That lack of concern from me should probably tell you that you *may* be overreacting a little. Especially that statement about 'not being able to do something' because of traits, that was fairly absurd.

What am I overeacting to? I'm fine with traits, but to say that they have little impact on your build, oh no, you're wrong.

the thief traits basically dictate the way you play your thief 

LOL

again,

50% crit on stealth + 1 more stealth second + steal stealths + might on stealth + 2 ini every time you go into stealth

more precision over 90% health + crits can give initiative + fury when lower than 50% hp + crit puts vulnerability http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Rune_of_Rage + gear with crit 

Compared to what? Your base abilities? They're not. That's the thing. If you want to convince me, show me a list of all the things a thief does (skills, abilities, everything) and what is affected by that trait line, and show me that those extra additions mean a lot in comparison to the overall thief. Does it make it useless at that role without those skills?

The answer, i can tell you now, is no.

It simply does not have a big effect on the overall class tot he extent you believe. It's additional flavour that improves some aspects of the thief to compliment your playstyle. That is all. Not having them wont make it useless at dealing damage for example :) That's the thing, to be a big deal to the extent you're implying, the thief needs to be useless at that role WITHOUT those traits.

healing oriented runes

healing oriented gear

same for dps/durability

20% lower venom cooldown

1 more venom strike

1 more stealth second

etc

No, they're not :) Not in the grand scheme of things. They're small buffs. You get bigger relative buffs when you pick certain nodes int he witcher 2, and that's saying something :)

LOL

again,

more precision over 90% health + crits can give initiative + fury when lower than 50% hp + crit puts vulnerability http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Rune_of_Rage + gear with crit 

Compared to what? Your base abilities? They're not. That's the thing. If you want to convince me, show me a list of all the things a thief does (skills, abilities, everything) and what is affected by that trait line, and show me that those extra additions mean a lot in comparison to the overall thief. Does it make it useless at that role without those skills?

The answer, i can tell you now, is no.

It simply does not have a big effect on the overall class. It's additional flavour that improves some aspects of the thief to compliment your playstyle. That is all. Not having them wont make it useless at dealing damage.

http://www.gw2tools.com/calc/#t-t-kk...da.XZf.aaa.aaa 

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Rune_of_Rage

Heal: Hide in Shadows

Utility Skills: Ice Drake Venom, Devourer Venom, Skale or Spider Venom or Shadow Signet

Elite: Basilisk Venom

Dagger/Dagger + Pistol/Dagger or Shortbow

"aditional flavour... lol" The traits are meant to have a big impact on your gameplay anet even said so.

No shit, ofc they arn't gonna be more important than the weapon choice. Are you on crack or something? They are still very influencial.

So, with that build, Sanctum, do you think the thief is now useless at acrobatics and trickery, with the skills they entail? That they should not bother using those skills as they would be 'useless' at them :)

'No shit, ofc they arn't gonna be more important than the weapon choice. Are you on crack or something? They are still very influencial.'

Thanks :) That's basically what i was getting at. The traits add 'flavour' (It's basically how powerful i perceive traits to be: a very visible effect but not overriding the entire professions playstyle) to your character but don't mean that a character become 'useless' or 'crippled' at any role because of them :)

So, with that build, Sanctum, do you think the thief is now useless at acrobatics and trickery, with the skills they entail? That they should not bother using those skills as they would be 'useless' at them :)

....Clearly the way one traits your thief decides wether you wanna focus on signets/venoms/stealth/crit etc etc

no I will not use roll for initiative or anything like that, no I won't use signets

'No shit, ofc they arn't gonna be more important than the weapon choice. Are you on crack or something? They are still very influencial.'

NO, you said they are barely influential when they are actually VERY INFLUENTIAL, atleast for the thief.

NO, you said they are barely influential when they are VERY INFLUENTIAL, atleast for the thief.

Did i say barely influential o.O I said they're not 'meaningful', as in not a game changer which was the important thing as it sets the reference (now bear with me, the explanation is coming).

Which i stand by fully. A thief is still a thief. Traits affect the thief, but they don't fundamentally change a thief. I think we are just at a misunderstanding at how much you think that I think traits affect. They are not meaningful when compared to different weapons, different professions and most importantly, the ability to play all roles effectively. They do have a visible effect on what your character can do. Ergo they're 'flavour' to the character. A thief with that trait line will play in a different way to another thief that is entirely different in traits BUT they both still feel like a 'thief' and as such can perform all the roles a thief can do (which is, surprise! all of them :) ).

We seem to essentially be in agreement about how effective they are, we're just using different language (and, more importantly, reference points) to express it.

Thanks :) That's basically what i was getting at. The traits add 'flavour' (It's basically how powerful i perceive traits to be: a very visible effect but not overriding the entire professions playstyle) to your character but don't mean that a character become 'useless' or 'crippled' at any role because of them :)

Next time you can try to be more eloquent. Saying,"oh yeah traits just add flavour" comes out as,"they change some things slightly". 

Again, no shit, traits won't override your profession, but they will dictate the way you play your profession. AKA Support/Dps/Control/Healing. To me, that makes traits pretty damn influential.

Never said a character becomes useless. I've been saying all along, you heavily specialize in a specific area but you can still perform the other jobs fine. THE HEAVY SPECIALIZATION IS THERE THOUGH. Although you can also have the jack of all trades, however, in 99% games, balancing your roles is worse than specializing in a role.

Again, they are game changing. "Again, no shit, traits won't override your profession, but they will dictate the way you play your profession. AKA Support/Dps/Control/Healing. To me, that makes traits pretty damn influential." <-- Like I said.

• RoybeRoybe Member UncommonPosts: 420

Originally posted by Xstatic912

Originally posted by Adalwulff

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Here is someone trying to "tank" in GW2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMWe2PPOjwo&feature=player_detailpage#t=258s

Thanks for sharing that!

I also noticed the ranger was doing a bit of tanking too...haha

ROFLOL, i can see it now..

Group member claims this system is sillly, others in group agree. Group disbands, with some quitting the game or start to flame on GW2 forums on why they feel the system is broken, other join in and then you start hearing this game sucks...

This is actually what I am suspecting...sorry to say, GW2 will sell strongly at the start, but the complaints about 'No trinity..game fails..' will be exasperating.

Next time you can try to be more eloquent. Saying,"oh yeah traits just add flavour" comes out as,"they change some things slightly". 

Again, no shit, traits won't override your profession, but they will dictate the way you play your profession. AKA Support/Dps/Control/Healing. To me, that makes traits pretty damn influential.

Never said a character becomes useless. I've been saying all along, you heavily specialize in a specific area but you can still perform the other jobs fine. THE HEAVY SPECILIZATION IS THERE.

The whole conversation started when you essentially implied that a scenario where all 3 people are helping out would be impeded by what traits they used, ergo they couldn't perform the role. Maybe you didn't mean that? if not, what did you mean?

P.S. Flavour actually means quite a bit o.O Salt and vinegar crisps taste little like cheese and onion, but they're still both crisps. In fact, flavour perfectly encapsulates traits by that analogy!

Never said a character becomes useless. I've been saying all along, you heavily specialize in a specific area but you can still perform the other jobs fine. THE HEAVY SPECILIZATION IS THERE.

The whole conversation started when you essentially implied that a scenario where all 3 people are helping out would be impeded by what traits they used, ergo they couldn't perform the role. Maybe you didn't mean that? if not, what did you mean?

No, I said they can't perform all the roles as well as other people who are specialized in a certain role because of traits/attributes/gear/runes.

So saying one can do whatever the hell they want in a pve encounter is blatantly wrong.

well they can't swap that much

Traits/attributes

Well that seemed to me like you meant that they couldn't actively help out each other like in the simple situation i described where they all helped out once and none for a prolonged time :)

So there you go, you misinterpereted the overall reference point for the word 'flavour' (which is fair enough) and i misinterpreted this above quote as being that the professions couldn't handle the scnerio given (i've bolded which part lead to that).

Also, i can absolutely guarentee you a good team could run an end game dungeon in explorable without any traits :) You can take me up on that and we'll see later in the year. No point theorycrafting that at all.

Traits/attributes

Well that seemed to me like you meant that they couldn't actively help out each other like in the simple situation i described where they all helped out once and none for a prolonged time :)

So there you go, you misinterpereted the overall reference point for the word 'flavour' and i misinterpreted this above quote as being that the professions couldn't handle the scnerio given (i've bolded which part lead to that).

Also, i can absolutely guarentee you a good team could run an end game dungeon without any traits :) You can take me up on that and we'll see later in the year. No point theorycrafting that at all.

that would be a big problem

it would mean that anet did a shit job at creating challenging pve encounters

edit: yea I guess we misunderstood eachother

Traits/attributes

So there you go, you misinterpereted the overall reference point for the word 'flavour' and i misinterpreted this above quote as being that the professions couldn't handle the scnerio given (i've bolded which part lead to that).

Also, i can absolutely guarentee you a good team could run an end game dungeon without any traits :) You can take me up on that and we'll see later in the year. No point theorycrafting that at all.

No, it just means the players are good :)

They won't design dungeons that only 0.1% can finish. If they design a dungeon they think 10% will complete, that 0.1% should be able to do it 'trait-less' I'd imagine. But again. Theorycrafting is pointless, i'll put it to the test with my guildees later this year. It'll be a nice extra challenge :D

Not to say i wont fall flat on my face several times of course ^^

Traits/attributes

No, it just means the players are good :)

They won't design dungeons that only 0.1% can finish. If they design a dungeon they think 10% will complete, that 0.1% should be able to do it 'trait-less' I'd imagine. But again. Theorycrafting is pointless, i'll put it to the test with my guildees later this year. It'll be a nice extra challenge :D

Not to say i wont fall flat on my face several times of course ^^

nope there should be a tier progression very easy-easy-normal-hard-very hard-elite

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by Volkon

watch the dungeon footage and behold the fate of the guardian who says "ok i'ma tank".

Heh... I know the one you're talking about... that was funny. Someday he'll learn one hopes.

Instead of there being tanks/healers/dps roles, what you have is a system where the damage, support and control elements of combat have been moved to the weapons and skills instead of the players. As such, you don't equip to become a healer, a supporter, a controller... you equip some skills that have the various elements associated with them. When in combat, it's up to you to decide when to use skills that control the enemy, support your allies, etc. Now, you can choose more skills that have specific elements on them, say more control skills, but as a whole you cannot specifically fill a role as an individual.

Most skills actually cover multiple facets of combat, delivering damage while controlling, controlling while buffing allies, all three... so even there the lines are blurred at an individual level. It's all about situational awareness. Mobs running rampant, slow them down. Mobs in control, burn them. Allies need help, use skills that will help support them with buffs, regen, etc.

So forget about having a role. Instead, look at your skills and how each one contributes to the fight. Use your traits to enhance the different facets for your skills to give you greater versatility.

Makes more sense if you allow yourself to think about it all differently.

Oderint, dum metuant.

watch the dungeon footage and behold the fate of the guardian who says "ok i'ma tank".

Heh... I know the one you're talking about... that was funny. Someday he'll learn one hopes.

Instead of there being tanks/healers/dps roles, what you have is a system where the damage, support and control elements of combat have been moved to the weapons and skills instead of the players. As such, you don't equip to become a healer, a supporter, a controller... you equip some skills that have the various elements associated with them. When in combat, it's up to you to decide when to use skills that control the enemy, support your allies, etc. Now, you can choose more skills that have specific elements on them, say more control skills, but as a whole you cannot specifically fill a role as an individual.

Most skills actually cover multiple facets of combat, delivering damage while controlling, controlling while buffing allies, all three... so even there the lines are blurred at an individual level. It's all about situational awareness. Mobs running rampant, slow them down. Mobs in control, burn them. Allies need help, use skills that will help support them with buffs, regen, etc.

So forget about having a role. Instead, look at your skills and how each one contributes to the fight. Use your traits to enhance the different facets for your skills to give you greater versatility.

Makes more sense if you allow yourself to think about it all differently.

it's not that complicated, Einstein

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Originally posted by FlawSGI

no point argueing with gw2 fanboys they have a set image on what the game will be

roles still exist

you can sitll trait/gear/use weapons for max healing/support same with dmg and control and durability

I guess I can be conciddered a fanoy and I can agree that roles exist. But the thing is Anet never said that they were doing away with roles all together. Let's try to keep it into perspective. There are, however, no dedicated roles key word being DEDICATED. Anyone can fill any role at any time. Some may do it better and some may choose to allocate points to make their character fit their playstyle. What they said was they were doing away with the holy trinity and they have done so. Just because I make my war durable and tanky doesn't mean I am a tank, only that I can absorb the damage better than others that don't trait/gear the same as I do, Is this really that hard to understand?

Exactly

however people in these forums seem to think that roles are gone

you just said what I have been saying all along

Slow down there scooter. While we may agree on this, I don't agree where you are seeing all these people saying there are no roles. If anything they have been saying exactly the same thing I just said and have tried to explain what the different roles could be conciddered. I don't see many, if anyone, saying there are no roles whatsoever. So no, you have not been saying it all along. Hell, half of your responses are there disputing people for saying that there are roles. I am sure you have a point, but your tone is all wrong. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

There is a trinity, and they have said there is a trinity. It just works differently, and you don't stay with one role throughout combat, or even during a single fight. In order to be successful, you have to switch which role you are on the fly to compensate for what is happening. Everyone is going to heal, everyone is going to "tank," and everyone is going to dps, and everyone is going to support the group in the way they can. Or they are going to struggle, or fail, like most of the groups we have seen in dungeon videos.

They are playing as if there is a traditional trinity, and they are struggling because they are not adapting to the different combat style. It isn't like traditional MMOs, and takes cues from other, more action-oriented games. After a while playing, people will pick up on it and it will be okay.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504

Originally posted by Zlayer77

Originally posted by brac777

Don't understand where this no trinity business is coming from.  In all the videos I've seen, there has been 1 or 2 people dropping down heals, that heal other party, and 1 or 2 guys taking 85% of the damage and agro.  Hows that not a trinity?  You still have people designated healing, and people designated tanking.  Am I missing something here?

Im going to put it like this Instead "WHY DOES THERE HAVE TO BE A TRINITY"

Lets think outside the box here for a second? who said MMOs = the HOLY TRINITY?  who came up with that?

I see no need for a Trinity.. do away with it and while we are at it lets

Cancel quests

Skipp raids

And take away Battleground

Just do awy with all this bullshit that has been done so many times before...

If GW2 gets ridd of dedicated healers GOOD FOR THEM.. MMOS sure dont need them to function..

WoW is the answer, every MMORPG out there is compared to WoW and then called WoW clones. If an MMORPG try to change the system (GW2, Secret World) then they say that's is imposible because every game must copy WoW system.... So different games are desired or not?