Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Beta Reflections

Comments

• nhatnhat Member UncommonPosts: 166

Originally posted by ComfyChair

Originally posted by Xarko

So you played an mmo for 2 days and you are calling it a masterpiece .. riiiight.. /salt

It just means in those 2 days he played something that's simply amazing. Every jounrnalist has said that unless the rest of the game (remember, all the main mechanics were in the beta) is a pile of crap for no reason, this is THE MMO to look out for.

It looks like a GREAT MMO and that's the issue when calling a few hours of playing is. An MMO is Dynamic, almost anything can happen.

Will this type of gameplay keep happening?

Will this go stale after a while?

Will the gameplay change after 30 hours in?

Once people get some more hours in, we can see the bigger picture and I'm sure it's a great picture but until than, let's not overhype it until than.

• DahlifyrDahlifyr Member UncommonPosts: 134

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

Funny I dont see anyone asking how much ArenaNet paid this site to give a good preview.

I soppose you are refering to the ones that said so about the rewievs about for example Swtor? The difference here is that everyone can see what a pile of steaming sh*t Swtor is, so the rewievs of that game was truley paid buy Bioware, there is no doubt about it.

GW2 however seems to be the real deal.

• sleepr27sleepr27 Member UncommonPosts: 102

Speak for youself, SWTOR is a great game in what it does. I know the rabbid GW2 fanboys will disagree and that their MMO's is the greatest ever, but it's not perfect. Can't wait to for the release for some of you open your eyes.

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by Dahlifyr

Funny I dont see anyone asking how much ArenaNet paid this site to give a good preview.

I soppose you are refering to the ones that said so about the rewievs about for example Swtor? The difference here is that everyone can see what a pile of steaming sh*t Swtor is, so the rewievs of that game was truley paid buy Bioware, there is no doubt about it.

GW2 however seems to be the real deal.

Who are these everyone and where are they? 

How ever truth is that if i hate a game i say stuff like 'this site gotto be surely paid to give positive reviews'. But if i like a game i just gobble up all the positive reviews quietly.

Now stop staring at me..haven't you seen a hypocrite before?

• AtlantisGERAtlantisGER Member Posts: 5

Lovely to read, makes me hoping to get into Beta a lot more. Hopefully the way people randomly got into a group of adventureres will happen to me aswell :)

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

They paid them by telling them "If you give us a good review, we'll give you another chance to play our game."

I'd say that's a good incentive hehehe.

This is not a game.

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

I've been excited about this game, and it's really great to see all the positive reviews.  I've just been disappointed with too many MMOs these few years that I'm still a little skeptical.  I'm hoping this game will keep me playing longer than the last few games.  These days, it feels like MMOs last you 1-3 months at most, then you're completely bored of them. 

The one really great thing about this game is, all of my friends that play MMOs will be giving this a try since it has no sub.  This will be the first time in a long time all of us will be playing together.  That is something I really can't wait for.  I only hope everyone is happy with it enough to keep playing.  

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by sleepr27

Speak for youself, SWTOR is a great game in what it does. I know the rabbid GW2 fanboys will disagree and that their MMO's is the greatest ever, but it's not perfect. Can't wait to for the release for some of you open your eyes.

I agree with you, but you are wasting your time expressing it here.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Nice article.  It is good to see people who are probably over exposed to MMO's retain such good feelings and hype after a weekend event.  I think we are all getting the picture that this will be a special game at the start at least.  How it grows and how players grow with it is something that can't be predicted, but this is really shaping up to finally be a game changer when we haven't had one in what, 8 years?

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

A voice of reason from a fanboi... (devil's advocate mode ON)

Yes, it seems that GW2 crew managed to deliver all they've been promising... but so have the SW:TOR's devs.

Who knows what unforeseen problems might arise later on in the game? Many of the new concepts GW2 introduces have never been prorperly tested out in the field. Who knows what might happen down the road after a few months or years and with millions of players mucking around with it? Maybe some mechnanic we're all so hyped about has some surprising unpleasant side effects further down the road?

Anyways, it's cool to be hyped but let's get a bit realistic here... From all the info coming from all over the place GW2 will provide a great experience right from the outset. So that's box money well spent. Whether it will stand the test of time, who knows? I have a hunch it will but I'm not a prophet and neither is anyone. At the moment I'm pretty confident I'll get my money's worth for the box price and beyond that.. it would all be a bonus, really.

SWTOR promised great PvP, and they certainly did not deliver that.

• RobertDinhRobertDinh Member Posts: 647

I have yet to see a truly hard-hitting review of gw2 from the mmorpg staff, even when they try to say something is bad in the game, it is something so minor and trivial, they don't actually give any real and major criticisms about the game. 

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

The press has said same thing on every MMO so far, FFXIV, DCUO, Rift, SWTOR and now GW2.

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

Originally posted by nomss

The press has said same thing on every MMO so far, FFXIV, DCUO, Rift, SWTOR and now GW2.

Being positive towards different games is not equivalent with being positive for the same reasons. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RobertDinhRobertDinh Member Posts: 647

Originally posted by cinos

Originally posted by RobertDinh

I have yet to see a truly hard-hitting review of gw2 from the mmorpg staff, even when they try to say something is bad in the game, it is something so minor and trivial, they don't actually give any real and major criticisms about the game. 

Maybe that's because there isn't anything bad to s....oh my god it's RobertDinh!

Now taking bets as to how long he can last before getting banned again. :D

Ya the game must be flawless, that's why they can't give any serious criticisms.  :rolls eyes:

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by tom_gore

So you played an mmo for 2 days and you are calling it a masterpiece .. riiiight.. /salt

You know, when you play MMOs for a living (or are an MMO junkie), you know immediately when you hit something golden. Just as you know immediately when your hand meets some soft, brown substance.

You don't. You may think so but you are never 100% sure until you've played it for a while. Its a mistake people make over and over again. If you play MMOs for a living this is something you should know. Golden MMOs are ones that can keep you playing and nobody knows if GW2 can do that.

They certainly didn't play long enough to know its a masterpiece, at most they can see the signs its shaping up to be one. 

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

There is something to be said about viewing a game after the honeymoon period has ended.  Once the novelty of a fresh new game wears off, that's when I take real notice of the reviews and viewpoints.  If he had been beta testing for more than a month, I would be much more inclined to believe the game's longevity on my desktop.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    All I keep hearing about gw2 is positive and watching the game play trailers I for one am extremely excited for the launch, couldn't care less about betas I want the game to feel fresh to me! Hurry up and launch already damn you!!
  • slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

For an MMO to be amazingly fun right from the beginning, for it to defy all preconceived notions of what an MMO "should" be, and for him to have all of that at the VERY beginning of the game (no grinding to get to the good stuff, no grinding PERIOD) and for him to safely put viral that it is a masterpiece.  To realize something is good takes time, to realize if something is incredible is instant.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

It's nice to see a western developed MMO that doesn't look like complete crap with an ugly art style.

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

Originally posted by cinos

Maybe that's because there isn't anything bad to s....oh my god it's RobertDinh!

Now taking bets as to how long he can last before getting banned again. :D

Ya the game must be flawless, that's why they can't give any serious criticisms.  :rolls eyes:

I've been seeing this a lot recently.  Seems like due to the overwhelmingly positive feedback from GW2's beta testing, the diehard haters of GW2 are resorting to meaningless sarcasm instead of actual intelligent criticisms.  Seems some people are stubborn till the end.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

What I got out of this article is that the press community is what we used to have in a community back in the "old" days before WOW. A helpfull community that wasnt all about memememememememe. I just dont see random people rezing someon else or people handing out loot they cant use for free. At least not everyone. Some of us still do that sort of thing. Or give up some of our playtime to help some random stranger. But overall? I just dont see that ever happening in an MMO again unless it gets back to 200k subs being tops and the community being a tight group of people.

• ammoniteammonite Member Posts: 113

Originally posted by Magnetia

Is it safe to say that a masterpiece can be something that effects you on a level so profound that you can't convey your feelings with mere words? Even an idiot can appreciate something that is good even if they don't quite understand why.

Dude; a slime monster from the bowels of mmo evolution can't do that.

They aint got the thinking powers..

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

This isn't about haters vs fanbois.  This is about someone calling a game a masterpiece after 2 days of playing (no, not playtime - completely different).  You don't even get the newness feeling out of your system in 2 days, let alone put up more than just an opinion based on your own hype.

Remember, all the same things were said about SWTOR during it's early beta stages and if you can't take that into account then you truly are the perfect client for ArenaNet...and no, I'm not saying it is a terrible game - I for one hope it does well because it's looking fantastic - just  pointing out that throwing yourself on a sword for the sake of a game review based on maybe 10 hours of playtime isn't any more intelligent than blindly hating on a game you haven't played.

Writer stated, "nice to finally have a chance to get a look at the title after all these years of just reading information and watching videos of other people play.  It was a real treat".  It's ok to be excited about something but alot of us are sick and tired of reading reviews from people who have little to no appreciable experience in a title.

PS. MMORPG's text editor really sucks.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • ArEfArEf Member Posts: 233

Sounds a lot like RIFT.

Add me on Steam!

RawrfulCast - My YouTube Channel
    Me and a Friend are Bad At Games :(