Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PREDICTION! TERA F2P 3mo after Gw2

OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276

TERA will go F2P 3 months after GW2. I put my buck on this bet and think it is pretty solid. DOes anyone see that this game will have a long and happy subscription life?

This is also fueled by the obvious beauty of TERA making it very well suited to sell costumes and make alot of money because of how pretty the game is.

Comments

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

If they can afford to make the switch with their upcoming legal expenses.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

As I've posted in other threads, there won't be a P2P game left by the end fo 2014. Even as we speak the majority of MMO companies are either have already converted their games or are in the process. What you're describing as a demeaning outcome is something that is enforced naturally on the whole industry.

Besides, following your logic, isn't GW2 F2P from the get go? You sound like GW2 developers didn't have the courage to go for a subscription model, which we all know it is not the truth. Simply put, P2P exclusively is dying a fast death.

• gaugemewgaugemew Member Posts: 158

For the last time, TERA isn't in competition with GW2.  The people at enmasse are looking for an entirely different demographic.

Sure people from GW2 will play it till GW2 comes out, but the combat systems in both games are radically different.

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

Originally posted by gaugemew

For the last time, TERA isn't in competition with GW2.  The people at enmasse are looking for an entirely different demographic.

Sure people from GW2 will play it till GW2 comes out, but the combat systems in both games are radically different.

It's more of an Aion/Lineage competitor - and it's going to have trouble since both of those games are already F2P :P  I hope they have the game set up for a smooth F2P transition.

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276

MMO's are in competition with MMO's. Alot of us are niche people, but generally we like playing online games in a massive setting. Why would TERA and GW2 not compete for people. Just because TERA will secure a small amount of action MMO players does not mean that TERA wants to just give up everyone else to GW2. fighting over anything, even a player base, is a competition, thus TERA and GW2 are in competition, ta-da.

TO the guy about GW2 being F2P, its B2P. And that is just like the first GW so meh I dont see your point.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

All MMOs will be F2P in the very near future, I dont know about 3 months but all MMOs will switch to this model very soon, it will be just cash shop, more revenue, more players, its the only logical step for people that invest in companies to make these games.

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

More like 6 months.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Originally posted by Killsmallchi

MMO's are in competition with MMO's. Alot of us are niche people, but generally we like playing online games in a massive setting. Why would TERA and GW2 not compete for people. Just because TERA will secure a small amount of action MMO players does not mean that TERA wants to just give up everyone else to GW2. fighting over anything, even a player base, is a competition, thus TERA and GW2 are in competition, ta-da.

TO the guy about GW2 being F2P, its B2P. And that is just like the first GW so meh I dont see your point.

The reason there is no competition is because of the B2P, most people I know including me are going to buy GW2 and continue to subscribe to a second MMO, well cause you can just buy it once, the same way that MMORPG gamers will buy another single player game cause its good, and even tho all games are in competition for your time they are not money wise, its uncommon ( still not unheard I do this ) to have a mmorpg gamer pay for 2 subs. GW2 even if its not my favorite raiding game I will still play it once in a while cause I will have it installed and ready to play regardless.

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

[mod edit]

He has a point. He is just putting it in the wrong context. Tera will go F2P hybrid, it's inevitable. So will TSW, Rift and anything else that is left not having a F2P option atm. The only game that will not go F2P will be WoW, that is, until Titan comes out, which it's going to be F2P from the start.

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by Xasapis

He has a point. He is just putting it in the wrong context. Tera will go F2P hybrid, it's inevitable. So will TSW, Rift and anything else that is left not having a F2P option atm. The only game that will not go F2P will be WoW, that is, until Titan comes out, which it's going to be F2P from the start.

Source ? 

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by Azmodai

Originally posted by Superduper69

Originally posted by Azmodai

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Umm ... reasons are pretty obvious and don't really need to be retold but since you seem to be lagging behind the topic. GW2 release, TSW release, less then steller Korean and Japanese retention, less then steller fanbase for Korean games, current MMO trends of buy it then leave it, and probably more that I am forgetting at the moment.

Originally posted by zakiyawow

Source ? 

http://www.develop-online.net/news/39915/New-Blizzard-game-to-be-free-to-play

Though I believe they are refering to their version of DOTA but who knows.

Originally posted by Sector13

Source ? 

Oh I know that "RUMOR". I take it as its face value and I do hope people stop posting it as FACT. Until the official announcemnt, it remains as a rumor.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    People overhyping GW2 will be the most disappointed.
    GW2 will always be there as that comfy pillow you know you can fall back safely on.
    B2P might just bite them in the ass later on.
  • BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205

Useless topic is useless….

This game is doing amazingly in Korea and has been out for 1 year-- So stop talking toss…

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

Originally posted by NBlitz

GW2 will always be there as that comfy pillow you know you can fall back safely on.

I believe TERA releasing as a P2P will bite them in the ass more then GW2 going B2P.

Source ? 

Oh I know that "RUMOR". I take it as its face value and I do hope people stop posting it as FACT. Until the official announcemnt, it remains as a rumor.

Of course it is a rumour, but considering what everybody else is doing, do you think the money hungry Blizzard will be left behind in the party?

Originally posted by BrokenSpoon

This game is doing amazingly in Korea and has been out for 1 year-- So stop talking toss…

Take your own advise before telling others what to stop talking about. TERA is not doing amazingly in any form of the word in Korea or did we all forget of the 2 server mergers?

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by NBlitz

Weird statement, seeing as how GW1 is also B2P. I haven't heard anything about that doing bad, or Arenanet losing money over it?

Source ? 

Of course it is a rumour, but considering what everybody else is doing, do you think the money hungry Blizzard will be left behind in the party?

I have no doubt they will have F2P games. Although a big studio like Blizzard, I think they have more than a few games that never mentioned to public. Therefore, saying Titan = F2P game is a big stretch 

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205

Aion Release - Sep 22 2009

Aion Huge Server Merge - July 14 2010

10 months for aion to condense the servers to repopulate them...

And what? 1 year and Tera did what? --- your just throwing more crap on a big pile of turd you lot chat about.. 

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Take your own advise before telling others what to stop talking about. TERA is not doing amazingly in any form of the word in Korea or did we all forget of the 2 server mergers?

and korean complaining about grind, lack of content, bugs with the political system, hacks, and others problems.

just the grind part, from a  korean player? make lol hard :)

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.

Well, comparing Aion to Tera and its progress in Korea may not be the best solution in giving insight. If anything else, traditionally games that do well there don't do that well in the west. So Tera not getting received as wormly in Korea may be an indication that it'll do better in the west ... or won't do well at all. Too early to tell.

Aion Release - Sep 22 2009

Aion Huge Server Merge - July 14 2010

10 months for aion to condense the servers to repopulate them...

And what? 1 year and Tera did what? --- your just throwing more crap on a big pile of turd you lot chat about.. 

Your points make even less sense then before. Try harder next time. KAion was released on November 25, 2008 and I never heard of them having server mergers.