Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] How do you view Bioware after SW:TOR?

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by Elikal

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Originally posted by ArgoZex77

Bioware RAPED the Star Wars franchise into oblivion. Their game is a complete failure.

Exactly, and I couldn't imagine it going any worse after the prequel movies.

I'm a huge fan of the original movies and all they stand for. But I really can't understand today's SW fans. It's like adoring someone who beats up your dog and then smears it with shit.

Guys, just stop and think. You kill Revan (whoever he is, some kind of a sith head honcho I believe) for his PANTS?! I mean what has this to do with Star Wars? I've never seen a game so much divorced from the essence of the IP. It's like making an Aliens game where you jump on Aliens' heads, turn them into flowers with your magical wand and collect their magical essences to complete a rainbow.

"Rape" is exactly what EA/Bioware did with the IP and I really cannot comprehend the defensive logic of the SW fans. They should be the the first up in arms about this, manning the barricades to protect their beloved world. I can't explain it except with primitive tribalism - "my IP, right or wrong" lol.

Heh, putting it that way really shows how absurd it is.

But at least it was in line. My Jedi got a pair of pants as end reward for saving the galaxy at lv 50 story-end. And not funny, it was the damn same pants I already had bought, the same model you get dozens of in the AH. Doh.

The overall focus really was less Star Warsy than it could have been. Even the SWG "Uncle Owen" approach would have been better than this. So yeah. It was essentially a SW rape.

Noble Jedi, you have just saved us all from certain destruction!  And now you shall receive your well earned reward from one of these exciting prizes:

A.  The eternal gratitude of the galaxy's people.

B.  The ability to live a long happy life of peace and quiet contemplation.

C.  Pants.

SWTOR chose C :).

You see, I have 1 lv 50 and a friend who made lv 50 with solider. It would just have been good if a char would get a UNIQUE armor piece at the end of your story, like a unique robe or unique chest piece... anything that is NOT looking like every other piece you can BUY!

Same for the sometimes really long and hard bonus series. I dunno why Bioware fails in such simple and elementary things like, giving a reward that does NOT look like any other piece you can buy for 1000 creds!  That is just one example how Bioware totally dropped the ball.

Or the social gear! 95% of it looks like TRASH, it is only light armor so med and heavy are screwed, and social points come some mindnumbing slow even if you group often. Another totally failed reward system.

Sorry, but they just have NO CLUE how to hold a decend carrot in front of players of a MMO. I hope they never ever make another MMO.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• JounarJounar Member UncommonPosts: 142

Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Originally posted by ArgoZex77

Bioware RAPED the Star Wars franchise into oblivion. Their game is a complete failure.

Exactly, and I couldn't imagine it going any worse after the prequel movies.

I'm a huge fan of the original movies and all they stand for. But I really can't understand today's SW fans. It's like adoring someone who beats up your dog and then smears it with shit.

Guys, just stop and think. You kill Revan (whoever he is, some kind of a sith head honcho I believe) for his PANTS?! I mean what has this to do with Star Wars? I've never seen a game so much divorced from the essence of the IP. It's like making an Aliens game where you jump on Aliens' heads, turn them into flowers with your magical wand and collect their magical essences to complete a rainbow.

"Rape" is exactly what EA/Bioware did with the IP and I really cannot comprehend the defensive logic of the SW fans. They should be the the first up in arms about this, manning the barricades to protect their beloved world. I can't explain it except with primitive tribalism - "my IP, right or wrong" lol.

Heh, putting it that way really shows how absurd it is.

But at least it was in line. My Jedi got a pair of pants as end reward for saving the galaxy at lv 50 story-end. And not funny, it was the damn same pants I already had bought, the same model you get dozens of in the AH. Doh.

The overall focus really was less Star Warsy than it could have been. Even the SWG "Uncle Owen" approach would have been better than this. So yeah. It was essentially a SW rape.

Noble Jedi, you have just saved us all from certain destruction!  And now you shall receive your well earned reward from one of these exciting prizes:

A.  The eternal gratitude of the galaxy's people.

B.  The ability to live a long happy life of peace and quiet contemplation.

C.  Pants.

SWTOR chose C :).

You see, I have 1 lv 50 and a friend who made lv 50 with solider. It would just have been good if a char would get a UNIQUE armor piece at the end of your story, like a unique robe or unique chest piece... anything that is NOT looking like every other piece you can BUY!

Same for the sometimes really long and hard bonus series. I dunno why Bioware fails in such simple and elementary things like, giving a reward that does NOT look like any other piece you can buy for 1000 creds!  That is just one example how Bioware totally dropped the ball.

Or the social gear! 95% of it looks like TRASH, it is only light armor so med and heavy are screwed, and social points come some mindnumbing slow even if you group often. Another totally failed reward system.

Sorry, but they just have NO CLUE how to hold a decend carrot in front of players of a MMO. I hope they never ever make another MMO.

In fairness 95% of all the armor in SWTOR looks like trash.

All the endgame PvE and PvP sets look woeful and overall only the Trooper's gear is anything decent looking.

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

I feel that maybe Bioware has a reputation to repair?  What took them years to build I whonder how long it will take them to get it back to the glory days pree 2007...

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by Zlayer77

I feel that maybe Bioware has a reputation to repair?  What took them years to build I whonder how long it will take them to get it back to the glory days pree 2007...

if they screw up ME3 like how I feel they screwed up DA2 I'll pretty much of lost all faith in the company...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ammoniteammonite Member Posts: 113

Your kidding?? The end of SWTOR is PANTS! 

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Guarenteed 90 percent of the people who voted yes for the worse have no legit reason to vote that and cannot back it up, they probably played swtor and hated it because they are one of "those people", or just dont like biowares style.  I would only take into account people who have decent knowledge of bioware and have played many of their games.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I think i've seen one of these threads about just about every company out there.  I'm convinced there are no good companies, and I'm surprised that there is a population playing any games.  single player or otherwise.  Based on these threads, all the companies suck and are single handedly bringing the industry to its knees.  Kinda funny really.

I self identify as a monkey.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by Eliandal

I've always liked Bioware, and still do.  Opinion hasn't changed :D!

Well it is a tricky question, for me. Because I don't feel they did a good job on the MMOG part but I still think they are excellent in creating single player, story driven RPGs.

I agree with this.

I feel like they made some simple mistakes that every single game maker seems to be making... and their end game token system was and is a mess.

But I still like their SRPGs

Originally posted by Chrisbox

Guarenteed 90 percent of the people who voted yes for the worse have no legit reason to vote that and cannot back it up, they probably played swtor and hated it because they are one of "those people", or just dont like biowares style.  I would only take into account people who have decent knowledge of bioware and have played many of their games.

I have played every bioware game ever released and loved almost everyone AND have loved star wars since I was 5 years old.. I can tell you just how bad this game fails not only for a bioware game but for a video game in general... question is how much time do you have?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

I think i've seen one of these threads about just about every company out there.  I'm convinced there are no good companies, and I'm surprised that there is a population playing any games.  single player or otherwise.  Based on these threads, all the companies suck and are single handedly bringing the industry to its knees.  Kinda funny really.

Well it just so happens that before SWTOR was launched a poll like this was asked on these forums and it was favorable toward Bioware.   It seems that Bioware made a bad impression on many people with SWTOR and that is why you see this change of how they view the company now.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Its not that there arent any good companies, forums have now just become a hostess for butthurt people to express their bias opinions and hatred for all types of games and companies.  Every game I have looked forward to over the years has recieved the same treatment, real discussion has basically died.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

I'm not sure if I can blame bioware as a company entirely, EA could be pulling some strings.

Originally posted by Chrisbox

Its not that there arent any good companies, forums have now just become a hostess for butthurt people to express their bias opinions and hatred for all types of games and companies.  Every game I have looked forward to over the years has recieved the same treatment, real discussion has basically died.

if not for the internet forums where would we go to vent our frustrations to like minded gamers?

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Originally posted by Zlayer77

if they screw up ME3 like how I feel they screwed up DA2 I'll pretty much of lost all faith in the company...

they already have screwed it up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diMaNyXBWvk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trnbMhLeJ_E&feature=related

my fav

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfqcVMhw-Vk&feature=related

lololol at PR. WTF is a 'character driven action video game'???? horseshit!

edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gayz4s82LHs&feature=related

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

I had to say no not really. To me they are just a developer and I really don't have any kind of loyality to them or any developer. The expectations I had for the game were pretty much met since they were low to begin with. They were straight forward with what they wanted to develop. I think they just misjudged how sick of the WoW style of themepark games a lot of consumers are. I also think they underestimated the importance of end game and focused to much on leveling. In the end it just is what it is. I didn't like it so I didn't bother with it..that doesn't mean I think BW failed. They just didn't make a game I wanted to play.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Most of the people here hated BioWare before SW:TOR, so this forum really isn't going to give you a valid response to your question.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Most of the people here hated BioWare before SW:TOR, so this forum really isn't going to give you a valid response to your question.

I cant understand why, they had a decent reputation up untill now.

For me, I will watch their next game, with caution, like I do all MMOs these days.

But, if thier next one is bad, then they will go on the my black list, along with Funcom and Cryptic.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Well to be honest I was never a fan of their games to begin with.   I always felt they had a pretty loyal following.  *edit* I mention that because there have been a few developers where I didn't like their games.   Yet they had a pretty loyal following which meant they kept their core happy.   So I can not like a companies games.. yet think they are a decent developer.

Now to be honest ... if they were to give me my classic DAoC server back.. you know where most of the population was when it was decided to make it part of a toa super cluster...

Well if I got that back.. I would view them as the best developer ever and not care what they did or didn't do with TOR...

Im linking this here because it about the industry in general and what I also feel what is wrong with these games today..

Just roll past all the SWTOR Review part and read

Lots of Concluding Thoughts

http://www.wolfsheadonline.com/swtors-300-million-virtual-bridge-to-nowhere/#more-6023

It hits the nail about what has gone missing in this genre.. and why so many of us Refused to even buy SWTOR....

this is the best part.....

"No longer are MMOs are created with the expectation that anything can happen. Those days are long past. If players were left to forge their own destinies it would result in chaos and conflict which would be unacceptable to the story obsessed new breed of video game designer who insists that every aspect of what a player does should be tightly controlled and scripted. You see, you as a player can’t be trusted.

Instead MMOs have become virtual sausage factories where the spectator-like player sits back and enjoys the ride. Game design has been reduced to process of crafting every moment of the player experience — nothing is left to chance — a philosophy that would make amusement park tycoon Walt Disney proud."

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

I still got mass effect and NWN CEP... so im cool with them.

FOR NOW..........image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I'll say it again, because this is not true, before SWTOR launched Bioware was looked at as favorable on these forums and a poll prior to the launch of SWTOR showed that.  Elikal made it.  If I have to I'll dig it up and post a link to it.    Stop saying that the people that use this forum hate every game and every game company simply because your precious game or game company is not making the grade at the moment.

Originally posted by Teala

I'll say it again, because this is not true, before SWTOR launched Bioware was looked at as favorable on these forums and a poll prior to the launch of SWTOR showed that.  Elikal made it.  If I have to I'll dig it up and post a link to it.    Stop saying that the people that use this forum hate every game and every game company simply because your precious game or game company is not making the grade at the moment.

What Teala writes is the truth... Most people might have been sceptic about the game. But most people looked at Bioware favorable. Stating if anyone could pull it of it was them. because their track record was mostly flawless. This looked to have changed now though... And its not unexpected to be honest.....

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

You know what, I never played through the first Dragon Age (never played 2nd one) nor any of the Mass Effect games all of the way. I didn't even play through either of the KOTOR games all of the way.

I did play through Baldur's Gate I and II and Neverwinter as well as the expansions. I played through Jade Empire.

In SWTOR, I played one character to lvl 50, a Sage, and may have an Sniper to lvl 50 by the end of my subscription, if I get around to logging in again. I very seldom end up leveling a character to end game before quitting in an MMORPG.

I obviously liked BIoware for their earlier games, so I guess I lost some interest in them a while back...

No, not really vote.

• residentxresidentx Member UncommonPosts: 123

The game is two months old people. Save those comments for the anniversary.  Most of the people played the game completely during the betas so there's nothing left to play. I've got 4 characters around level 15 and I like the stories. In the past I used to play mmos till I dropped but this game I play a part of the story and then quit for the day. I play about 4 hours a week.