Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How could you not want to play Guild Wars 2?

Comments

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

actually i have very little interest in this game at all. GW2 isnt changing as much as people are spouting off about, the best you can really give it is that its taking the good points of already existing games and Smooshing them togeather.

im interested in TSW simply because its trying new things and focusing on more than just Stabby Stabby Shooty Shooty.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by LadyNoh

actually i have very little interest in this game at all. GW2 isnt changing as much as people are spouting off about, the best you can really give it is that its taking the good points of already existing games and Smooshing them togeather.

im interested in TSW simply because its trying new things and focusing on more than just Stabby Stabby Shooty Shooty.

That would be great far as I'm concerned. The two games outside of EQ I played for years essentially did the same thing WoW and LotR so frankly I see that as a plus not a bad thing like many may treat it.

Although I'm also looking forward to TSW haha

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

That´s not exactly true, GW2 are looking on many things differently. So is TSW and I am myself interested in it as well.

But aeons of text wont really prove much, why don´t you just try it out at the preview weekend before the release to see what you think when you actually try it instead? You might be surprised, or not but at worst case you are wasting a few hours.

I know I surely will try TSW out at least.

Funny enough have both those games fixed the old "full questlog" issue that plauges most MMOs, even if they done it in different ways. :)

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

That would be great far as I'm concerned. The two games outside of EQ I played for years essentially did the same thing WoW and LotR so frankly I see that as a plus not a bad thing like many may treat it.

Although I'm also looking forward to TSW haha

oh don't get me wrong im not knocking this idea at all. Companies should have been doing this from the start. if they did we would have had alot more progress then we did. instead we got companies that changed the good ideas and kept the bad ones. so really i hope GW2 all the best of luck. however its really not my style of game.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

You know I've seen you say this all over these forums and I'm not out to pick a fight (more like, just like you, if I feel someone is misrepresenting my game of choice, especially in a negative fashion, I'm going to challenge it), but I rather disagree that one game is changing more than the other.

From my understanding, TSW is getting rid of

*classes

*levels

*gear tied to appearance

but keeping

*raids

*trinity

*traditional questing

*increasing gear power

*locked-target combat only

*subscription fee (yes, I consider this part of the package)

GW2 is getting rid of

*trinity

*traditional questing

*locked-target combat only

*raids

*increasing gear power

*subscription fee

and keeping

*classes

*levels

To the mix, TSW is adding

*ARG-style missions

*three faction warfare

*chackras

GW2 is adding

*dynamic events

*cooperatively shared objectives

*dodging and non-targeted weapon skills

*three server warfare

Now, if I'm leaving something out with TSW let me know, but I actually think both games are rather on par with one another, they have just each taken their own approach to remedying what they think ails the current MMO world. I don't think it's a matter of one changing more than the other, but rather WHAT they change is more important to you for TSW and what they are changing is more important for others for GW2.

Finally, if you look at GW2's dynamic events and renown tasks you'd see there is plenty to do that isn't stabby stabby shooty shooty (not that there's anything wrong with that, I sense a bit of disdain coming from you that is rather unwarranted).

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I can't count the number of people in this thread that have referred to GW2 as a "sequel" which it technically is NOT.  I wish they'd named it something else so that people would quit thinking of it as "more of the same" and realize that it's not even in the same genre.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

All the instancing

Instant teleportation

and that's enough.

• DensetsiDensetsi Member Posts: 62

The only reason I wouldn't want to play GW2 is because my social life will go down the drain ><, at least outside of the game world :P

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Zyonne

After just reading about the game, I was almost certain I'd pick up a copy at launch, or at the first opportunity when I have time to play it, but after watching a couple of hours of recent gameplay footage, I'm not so sure anymore.

I don't like the idea of having the majority of active skills tied to weapon sets. I realize it has the advantages of eliminating really bad builds and allows you to hotswap between roles in combat (effectively giving you 5 more skills to play with), but the skill deck system was what made the original GW for me. Without the option to create really bad unviable builds you also lose the ability to create weird builds/decks that actually work.

None of the classes really appeal to me. I liked the Guardian and Mesmer from initial descriptions, but watching actual gameplay footage I don't think I'd enjoy playing them.

I could list more reasons, but like the above they are all very subjective and mostly to do with aestethics that are irrelevant if I enjoy the base mechanics of the game. It's likely I'll pick the game up and try it at some point since just trying out all the classes and playing through the storylines will be worth the box price, but I'm a little discouraged by the "this looks boring" vibe I get by watching others play.

Yea this is my #1 most concerned negatives I have about the game.  I really enjoy being "that special snowflake" so Im hoping that one of several things happen down the road after creation:

1. New classes

2. New weapon sets ( I am a hero and im sorry but a torch or a Focus in my off hand is not condusive to that feeling)  If they ever added in CHakrams (Reckoning style) I would be hooked even more lol.

3. Hard to or rare to find Traits.

Right now I am really worried about the diversity and the Post Level Cap character advancement (that isnt tied into WvW) the most.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643

Originally posted by Snaylor47

Because I don't see the MMO (or gaming world) as innovative or not innovative, WoW clone or not wow clone ect ect,   I see it as whats fun or what isn't fun.

With that thought process my interest in GW2 is rather minimal, you see it as a genre saving god, I see it as a game with no mounts or dualing. I more or less found my long term MMO fix in TOR (For at least a few more months) and at this point GW2 looks like GW1 did when I played WoW, a nice little game to play when I am borred with WoW.

Also I am not really caring about the first gw1 right now.

While I can't argue your lack of anticipation, I will argue that your reasoning is quite flaccid. For one, dueling is one of the dumbest mechanics that I've even seen in a game; It's a total cop-out for FFA PvP, and it only servers as an epeen booster for losers. Also, I have yet to be impressed with the implementation of of mounts in any game that I've seen. They only serve as a necessity, and don't introduce any interesting gameplay mechanics. Many games are designed well enough, or have an alternated method that bypasses the need for them completely.

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767
    I bet Everyone who complains about teleports used and abused teleports in skyrim and never batted an eyelid

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I honestly think if you dont like GW2, then you aint a real mmo player at hearth.

Even if you dont like a fantasy setting mmo theme, this game offers alot of fun in Dynamic Events and the massive opertunity;s in pvp.

It feels to me that Anet dint left any kind of players out.

Exploring

World PvP

Battleground PvP

Arena PvP

Dungeons

Events for PvP and PvE

It offers a massive amount of contend for just a few bucks, and no sub needed wtf :) ?

Compare this to all the failed products that came out after World of Warcraft.

You may not like some aspects of this game, but if you hate GW2 or Anet then i dunno why your still here playing mmo's.

Originally posted by Mothanos

I honestly think if you dont like GW2, then you aint a real mmo player at hearth.

See now this just seems silly to me. So what if they aren't interested in the game? Not everyone is going to be or like the game when they try it out.

I'm certainly not going to say they aren't a "real mmo player".

For all I know I may not even like it. I've seen a ton of info about it at this point but isn't like I've played the game myself.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

Originally posted by Garvon3

All the instancing

Instant teleportation

and that's enough.

You make it sound like GW2 is heavily Instanced, which it is not.

If youre only experience of Guild Wars is the first game, then I would say you are correct, the first game did have a lot of instancing, But GW2 has no more instancing than the regular MMO these days.

Instanced Content:

• Dungeons

• PvP Battlegrounds (including WvW)

• Personal Home District

• Capitol Cities (which are enormous by MMO standards)

I can't think of any other examples? And that seems like very little instancing to me...

As for Instant Teleportation; You first of all have to have discovered the Location to be able to teleport to it. Which is no different to current MMO's which use some form of Flight Path system, The only difference with the Teleportation system is that you don't have to spend 5-10 minutes watching yourself on a bird/ship.

I suggest you research the game a little more by yourself, you may just like it.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Even if you dont like a fantasy setting mmo theme, this game offers alot of fun in Dynamic Events and the massive opertunity;s in pvp.

Exploring

World PvP

Battleground PvP

Arena PvP

Dungeons

Events for PvP and PvE

It offers a massive amount of contend for just a few bucks, and no sub needed wtf :) ?

You may not like some aspects of this game, but if you hate GW2 or Anet then i dunno why your still here playing mmo's.

There is nothing for a sandbox player. Also we have yet to see how this will please the raiding fans, I know they mentioned a few things but nothing like true raiding. There are reasons why people won't like the game.

The game looks fantastic but its not going to please every MMO player. No game can ever achieve that, its simply impossible. 

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101
    As a self proclaimed fangurl of GW2, it's incredibly frustrating to see people who obviously have little knowledge of the game attempt to critique it. On the flipside, some fans here definitely need to learn how to tone it down.

I'm curious, and this is for you that are not interested, yet have made the decision to remain uninterested without bothering to research the game - why haven't you? We have stickies here, there are dozens of hours of gameplay on YouTube... Why remain willfully ignorant of setting you could potentially enjoy?

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101
    Not to mention the constant regurgitating of falsities gets on my nerves.

Heavily instanced? No large scale PvP? Dynamic events are the same thing as PQs? And the guy who's complained numerous times about the absence of a Paladin class then never bothers to respond when the Guardian is brought up -_-;

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

Originally posted by Jimmy562

Exploring

World PvP

Battleground PvP

Arena PvP

Dungeons

Events for PvP and PvE

There is nothing for a sandbox player. Also we have yet to see how this will please the raiding fans, I know they mentioned a few things but nothing like true raiding. There are reasons why people won't like the game.

The game looks fantastic but its not going to please every MMO player. No game can ever achieve that, its simply impossible. 

I'm not going to argue that GW2 is a sandbox MMO in any shape, but I would however point at that it does cater to a very small part of what interest a sandbox player, and that is the ability to go out and explore the content.

ANet has already said that some new player's may take a bit of time to getting used to GW2 because it doesnt hold your hand through the content (although the option is there for those who would like a bit of direction, by use of the Scouts that denote nearby event locations on the map). GW2 doesn't have any 'quests' in the traditional sense, just Dynamic Events, which evolve and change depending on what players do, or dont do, but there are the Personal Story Quests which you can invite other players/friends to join in.

I see GW2 as having a little bit of everything in it, and while it may not appeal to the 'hardcore' gamers who have a very strict idea or philosophy of what a themepark or sandbox MMO should be, I do think it has the appeal of being able to genuinly say it is something DIFFERENT.

Whether that is a good or bad thing is something we will have to experience for ourselves on release day.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by Kreedz

Originally posted by Garvon3

All the instancing

Instant teleportation

and that's enough.

You make it sound like GW2 is heavily Instanced, which it is not.

If youre only experience of Guild Wars is the first game, then I would say you are correct, the first game did have a lot of instancing, But GW2 has no more instancing than the regular MMO these days.

Instanced Content:

• Dungeons

• PvP Battlegrounds (including WvW)

• Personal Home District

• Capitol Cities (which are enormous by MMO standards)

I can't think of any other examples? And that seems like very little instancing to me...

As for Instant Teleportation; You first of all have to have discovered the Location to be able to teleport to it. Which is no different to current MMO's which use some form of Flight Path system, The only difference with the Teleportation system is that you don't have to spend 5-10 minutes watching yourself on a bird/ship.

I suggest you research the game a little more by yourself, you may just like it.

you forgot to mention that every zone is a seperate instance.  and if that zone is full i get transported to a seperate instance of that instance.

I've got the straight edge.

• dimmit77dimmit77 Member Posts: 294

I wouldn't want to play it because :

1. No raids . End of story. 

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

How could YOU not want to play Hello Kitty Online Island Adventure?!

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

How could I now want to play GW2? Because I'll be playing Planetside 2 instead!

Originally posted by star

As a self proclaimed fangurl of GW2, it's incredibly frustrating to see people who obviously have little knowledge of the game attempt to critique it. On the flipside, some fans here definitely need to learn how to tone it down.

I'm curious, and this is for you that are not interested, yet have made the decision to remain uninterested without bothering to research the game - why haven't you? We have stickies here, there are dozens of hours of gameplay on YouTube... Why remain willfully ignorant of setting you could potentially enjoy?

Heh...well get ready because if you think it is bad now wait until beta testing gets into full swing not to mention when it first launches.

I'm thinking this one could get get pretty nasty between the haters and fanboys.

...and some will always critique regardless how little they know. Just the way they're wired I suppose plus they love to stir the pot.

Mods are going to be some busy little bees XD

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by parrotpholk

The better question would be: Why are you not skeptical of GW2?

None of us have spent 1 second in the game but people have treated sneak peaks and press releases as gospel and the word of god.  I am excited for it but at the same time the hype is so feverish it could just as well end up a steaming pile of shit.  People are all worked up but again none of you have even played it yet with any amount of real time.  

lol, they just reply with......i've played beta.

I've got the straight edge.

• nadrian3knadrian3k Member UncommonPosts: 101

Originally posted by star

I totally agree with u there. I understand ppl not liking something, it's perfectly acceptable....but blindly saying stuff is just pure retarded...and that's still a nice word for it.

I met ppl who started saying GW2 sux,....0 graphics..0 gameplay. I actually stood and showed them proof it's not like that, and asking them to give me any example of any other game that comes close to it. Their responce was "Well...it still sux...because...yes"

U have to come to therms with the fact that the number of ppl that have, not special needs, but VERY special needs, is growing each day and has passed looooong ago the ppl who have any degree of mentality left.

My resolve? Stop caring what ppl say. Considering i played literally "a shitton" of mmo's on a competitive level even in the ones that had no competitive side at all, i know for a fact that this game is literally the best mmo at the moment. I don't need to prove anything to anyone, ppl who think like me will most likely play the game so why even bother with ppl that are stuck in a mentality?

Ppl QQ that firms promise "revolutionary games" and they don't deliver.....but when 1 actually delivers it in an epic way, ppl don't want to accept it....tough luck for them.