Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How could you not want to play Guild Wars 2?

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by Netspook

"How could you not want to play Guild Wars 2?"

Simple. Doesn't matter how good the game is, or not. I'm not dealing with NCSoft ever again.

How about ArenaNet, the one's creating and supporting the game? NC Soft is simply the publisher. You won't even need an NC Soft account for GW2.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Well, since you asked, and I'm never short of opinions.......how about:

Because its a bunch of cool concepts thrown into yet another generic fantasy setting.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Originally posted by Volkon

Simple. Doesn't matter how good the game is, or not. I'm not dealing with NCSoft ever again.

How about ArenaNet, the one's creating and supporting the game? NC Soft is simply the publisher. You won't even need an NC Soft account for GW2.

Really? You sure about this?

If I don't need to deal with NCSoft, then I'm probably checking out this game, at least if it gets good reviews after release.

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

Ishoa, is likely a shell for GW2. New account and 3 posts all promoting GW2.

The thread title is a question, but the post was an advertisment.

I could care less about GW2, because I played the original and thought it played like a poor linear single player game with co-op option.

It reaked.

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by RefMinor
    Because I get an allergic reaction to hyperbole and hype.

And this topic is agaiin proof of building hype. I also think that OP will be among first to be burned out and quit GW2 in first month.

Why should i want play GW2 answer is many reasons maybe not my style maybe im busy playing other game maybe im space freak maybe i want sandbox maybe i want shooter mmo there could be so many reasons not to play GW2 that don't mean i hate GW2 or saying other game/games are better.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

Really? You sure about this?

If I don't need to deal with NCSoft, then I'm probably checking out this game, at least if it gets good reviews after release.

Yes, I forget who it was (I think Regina) posted on the Guru forums exactly that. You won't need an NC Soft account, which relieved me to no end. I have no idea what my password was for that thing.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

Originally posted by Keogh

Ishoa, is likely a shell for GW2. New account and 3 posts all promoting GW2.

The thread title is a question, but the post was an advertisment.

I could care less about GW2, because I played the original and thought it played like a poor linear single player game with co-op option.

It reaked.

Yet, you should know by now that GW2 is very different from GW1, so how can you keep "I didn't like GW1" as argument? I can understand you feel that way emotionally due to the similarities in names, but objectively?

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

It has cash shop

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

Originally posted by mrw0lf

It has cash shop

That is only a valid argument if it is "Pay to Win", which we don't know at this point. It is a valid concern though.

It has cash shop

No pay to win items however. Cosmetic things, like costumes, some items you can craft in-game if you're in a hurry, like t-stones that allow you to transfer stats from one set of armor to another, extra character slots, possibly more storage space, things of that nature. Standard ArenaNet stuff.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054
    I'm skeptical because ArenaNet made Guild Wars 1, which I consider to be a lackluster game. The developer has yet to prove itself in my eyes. I don't care how much praise the fans generate. What matters are my actual experiences playing the game, not reading about it.
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Originally posted by InFaVilla

It has cash shop

That is only a valid argument if it is "Pay to Win", which we don't know at this point. It is a valid concern though.

No. It's also a very valid concern if it's "pay to unlock" just about everything.

It has cash shop

No pay to win items however. Cosmetic things, like costumes, some items you can craft in-game if you're in a hurry, like t-stones that allow you to transfer stats from one set of armor to another, extra character slots, possibly more storage space, things of that nature. Standard ArenaNet stuff.

I know what's in the gw cs and to me it is unacceptable, so if the defence is that it will be the same you can see how that doesn't mean very much to me.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• LowFlyingHamLowFlyingHam Member Posts: 98

Because the first one sucked?  I was not a fan of the first game at all.  An instanced game world that's heavily limiting in terms of player numbers = disjointed coopertive play.  Invisible walls disrupted sensible movement choices like wanting to go down a small hill.  The bots you could party up with were incredibly stupid when I played, I distinctly remember my bot healer stopping to resurrect a fallen team mate mid-battle and the rest of us dying because we got no heals.  The game moves your character for you if you're out of range to attack something, which was one of my final straws.  Non-compelling game world, lack of tutorials when it came to crafting things, I dunno... it wasn't for me at all.  I played very very early into its release so things may have gotten much better since.  The one thing I did like was taking up two classes.

I don't care how different GW2 is from the first, the first does not make me want to play the second.  If I hear good things about GW2, I'll probably give it a spin but I'm not really looking forward to it per se.  This happens with every major MMO to have been released after WoW.  It happened with WAR, it happened with TOR, and now everyone's on the gaga train for GW2.  I'm tired of it and won't buy into such a thing before release.

Don't get me wrong, I hope GW2 does well.  I'm a fan of untargetted, dynamic combat and if GW2 becomes a phenomenon then every second rate and third world dev studio can start copying it instead of World of Warcraft.

Now Playing: Mission Against Terror, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Dark Souls, League of Legends, Minecraft, and the piano. =3

Visit my fail Youtube channel(don't leave me nasty messages!): http://www.youtube.com/user/Mirii471

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

Originally posted by Puremallace

1. Literally everything is being promised and by everything I mean everything. I am concerned they are completely over reaching by trying to re design an entire genre overnight and just expect people to be cool with it.

If it's fun why wouldn't people be cool with it? It seems like you have some pretty arbitrary rules on what a game company is and isn't allowed to do. In addition, overreaching is still a possibility but everything they've promised has been seen at it is exactly as they have described it.

Being skeptical is good, but skepticism for the sake of skepticism is not.

2. I do not in any way shape or form trust the payment model of Buy to play as a American. You can't just get crap for free and expect some fast, high quality developement. I am sorry when you cut cost you have to make choices. This is just economic fact.

It feels like I will get cash shop items over new content and I refuse to accept this or support a dev who thinks like this. I feel in the long run the Guild Wars playerbase will use it as a excuse LIKE THEY ALWAYS have to justify why no new content is being deliered and why hotfixes/updates are taking so long. How many times have we heard "well what do you expect for a free game" or "well it is free so you can stop and come back when they release content"? I mean wtf why des Guild Wars get this free pass from the mmorpg hypocritical community?

First of all, you simply do not know what you are talking about. Subcriptions fees were necessary back in the 90's early 2000's, when an MMO was a huge success if it could muster 80k subs and bandwidth was expensive. Now adays they are simply an excuse for publishers to milk their fan base. Also, have you even played GW1? The game STILL has free content patches and hotfixes. Do some research before talking non-sense.

Secondly, the devs have told us time and time again that nothing in the cash shop will provide any gameplay advantage. It will be things like pets, customes, dyes, transmutation stones, name changes, etc. Since this was the case in GW1's cash shop I don't see any basis for believing things will be any different in GW2.

3. Guild Wars 1: Currently as it stands this dev has dick for experience with mmorpg's because they never even attempted. How would the genre be different if they had the balls to compete with Blizzard or Sony instead of just bowing to them? The developer just seems scared and out of touch with the reality of the mmo playerbase.

/facepalm. Go cover up, your ignorance is showing. Do you realize that ArenaNet was founded is being led by Blizzard employees that helped develop Vanilla WoW? They have some of the talented designers and artists in the business.

4. The expectation that everyone will 100% accept this game. If you think for a chance the request for Nerfs, add ons, and x-server LFG will not start on day one, then you people are insane. Guild Wars2 fans are expecting that this game will not be rushed by people wanting raiding or Arena's. There is this stuff about WvWvW, but outside fo that as far as I can tell world pvp is more dead then TOR or WoW ever was, so the entire concept behind the pvp is instanced.

I am astounded that you took the time to write this response when you clearly know nothing about the game. There is a completely independent mode of 5v5 PvP with community and developer-led tournaments. They already have plans for Weekly, Monthly and Yearly Worldwide Tournaments, just like the had in GW1.

5. This idea that people just care for the sake of caring. I assume this is some hippie view of th world where everyone will just be happy and play the game for the fun of it. If this is a true sandbox then yes it will be player created content that drives the motivation to play. Unfortunately there is not a damn thing at end game that makes me want to stay logged on.

So just because you are not pleased with anything less than a free-form sandbox, which GW2 has never claimed it would be, you prophesize doom? Ridiculous.

This goes back to the payment model where they are not required to give you entertainment for your sub fee. I mean people captured forts in Aion because yes you could get your name on them, but there was also a VERY IMPORTANT instance to run in them. People went to Wintergrasp every 2 hours because of a raid it opened up. WTF is the point of Guild Wars end game outside of some story and some vanity gear.

Fun, that is the point. Unlike other MMO's where the only fun comes from a gear treadmill GW2's gameplay is inherently fun due to the more active combat and freedom in play.

Reply in orange.

I know what's in the gw cs and to me it is unacceptable, so if the defence is that it will be the same you can see how that doesn't mean very much to me.

As always, you are entitled to your own opinions, but would you mind elaborating why exactly is cosmetic stuff unacceptable?

I'm honestly curious about the rationale behind it.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    If i were to not play guild wars, the main reasons would be that i dont like the aesthetics, setting, or the gameplay options you get from the classes.

I mean swtor may not be everyones cup of tea but i oh so love being stealthy then shotgunning people an kicking them in their vulnerable spot n stuff!

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

It has cash shop

Selling storage space through the Item Mall would be a big minus for me, personally. If storage space can be bought from the item mall and it is expensive ingame, I will find it very annoying. Something I hate, is running out of space and seeing such things being sold in the Item Mall would piss me off.

Edit:

Scrict vanity items and character slots would be fine with me though.

• IshoaIshoa Member Posts: 18
    First thanks to all who responded. Special thanks to those who read the whole damn thing lol. Obviously being on a forum I knew this would be like a debate but really wasn't my intention with the article, and no its not an 'advertisement' I work for HP, looked at mmorpg articles from time to time but never made an account. Anyways my main point really was no one really knows if a game is going to fail or succeed. People shouldn't automatically assume its going to fail because warhammer and rift failed, but on the same token people shouldn't say its going to succeed either. Obviously I would like it to succeed and be the mmo I want to play but I won't know till I get to play, but I never said the game will definetly succedd. My main goal is to get people to maybe rethink the game whether it's before launch or months after it release and make your own decision which really goes without saying since its your money. Like I said I tried 4 times to play gw1 and just flat out didn't like it. Anyways thanks again for the responses everyone.
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Because I just don't see what the hype for GW2 is all about. No offense intended, but for me GW2 just looks like the next generic fantasy mmo which is even more casual than the ones before.

Beside that I don't see

- what really is so innovative/dynamic about their dynamic events. They are just quest series. Yes I know about the branching and all that, but that's not what I'd call a dynamic world.

- I don't see an innovation in removing holy trinity. All I saw are zergs so far.

- the crafting looks poor

- the graphics are not my style. And those cute little races are... *shudder*

- W v W  v W looks ok, but it is splitted in 4 zones where you have to zone again, there are no factions and the 2 week cycle and reset kills the long term motivation. Why fight for something that will be resetted every two weeks anyway ? Looks quite inferior to DAoC RvR

- it has a cash shop. Time will tell what kind of cash shop.

Anyway, as GW2 is b2p and SWTOR was fun for two months to me but has no longevity I will probably try it. I am just not hyped for it. If you are, fine, I really really hope you will not be disappointed.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Originally posted by InFaVilla

It has cash shop

Actually, your statement is your opinion. If he does not want to play because it has a cash shop, because he would rather pay a sub fee to get all the items and content available in a game, then that is his opinion, and not invalid because it does not matter to you.

That said, I am with you. Cash shops do not really bother me unless it is pay to win, or it is cash shop AND a sub fee. You can fleece me one way or the other, not both. I am not worried about that with regard to GW2, however.

I will play this game, but the hype train has yet to pull me on board. I will probably play at lauch, but not excited enough to really care when it comes out, or chew my fingernails off waiting...

Besides, if it comes out anywhere during, or close to summer, my play time is pretty much non existent anyway.

Originally posted by fundayz

As always, you are entitled to your own opinions, but would you mind elaborating why exactly is cosmetic stuff unacceptable?

I'm honestly curious about the rationale behind it.

I've never bought a single player game and used cheats, I don't see the point. So while I play games for fun, I also - unfashionably perhaps - play them for achievment. I am not trying to compensate for a life unlived, I am not trying to fulfil a gap in my rl, I just don't see the point in cheating in games, why play in the first place. So given that, I don't want my game world to be one where either I or my fellow gamers can just pay their way to achievment.

A fundamental fact for all item shops in games, the items they sell MUST be desireable, if they are that gives them status within the game. At the same time, for me, anything that is not earned has no value, so I'm being asked to pay for something with no value. Sorry just not for me.

There are lots of other reasons but I cba, I won't change your mind you won't change mine and there are no small steps to be made in between on an anonymous forum.

-----

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

Even with all the choices i really like in GW2 about how to build an MMO, there is  chance that i have simply outgrown the genre.

That happend for me years ago with both RTS and TBS. And i even still follow development of some TBS games, but i just can't be bothered to play them.

That is the only thing that could keep me from playing GW2

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I have not played a mmorpg that has released in the past 5 years for more than a week.  Judging by the trends in the mmo genre I don't see a reason that will change any time soon.

I don't listen to hype or reviews from game sites.  Reviews from other players I take with a grain of salt unless they cite very specific issues not just marketing drivel and fan boy cheers.

We'll see what happens at release.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by biggarfoot

Question: Why do people have reservations about GW2?

Answer = Because they keep comparing it to Guildwars.

The 2 games are different genres,  Guildwars is a CORPG.  Guildwars 2 is an MMO.

I'm begining to think that maybe Anet should of called GW2 something completely different, stop all this ignorant comparisons.

I TOTALLY AGREE.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

Why? A few reasons.

Primary reason, I don't like instancing, and GW2 seems like it'll have quite a bit.

Secondary reason, instant teleportation, another thing I don't like, it ruins the feel of game worlds.

Third reason, it's RvR doesn't seem like it'll be as good as DAoC's, which is sad because DAoC is a 10 year old game, you think they'd be able to improve on it, or at least make it bigger scale.

Also this is the first I've heard of a cash shop. Will the items in the cash shop at least be in the game, like, you can earn them normally via gameplay? If not then, wow, not paying for this.