Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

How many more people will buy this game from Asia/Pacific?

MonorojoMonorojo San Diego, CAPosts: 411Member

Game is launching there in under a week, how many more boxes do you think gets sold in its first month over in Asia? Is 500k a safe number?

Comments

• SnarkRitterSnarkRitter TPHCMPosts: 316Member

Originally posted by Monorojo

Game is launching there in under a week, how many more boxes do you think gets sold in its first month over in Asia? Is 500k a safe number?

I think 500k is a rather......optimistic number. It's not like Asian and Oceanic gamers couldn't buy the game digitally and play it at launch, like they've always done with WoW.

• arctarusarctarus nilPosts: 2,570Member Uncommon
    500k is too much, the game is already release here, same launch day as n.a., in boxes. Same as any other n.a games all these years except Tera.

the only difference is they gona release a server here, most probably at Australia. So.you gona see the pops for harbringer and swidtsure drop, if they all migrate.

unless they release a Chinese servers for china, if not the most I think it'll be only a few k increase the most

RIP Orc Choppa

• jpnzjpnz SydneyPosts: 3,529Member

Originally posted by arctarus

500k is too much, the game is already release here, same launch day as n.a., in boxes. Same as any other n.a games all these years except Tera.

the only difference is they gona release a server here, most probably at Australia. So.you gona see the pops for harbringer and swidtsure drop, if they all migrate.

unless they release a Chinese servers for china, if not the most I think it'll be only a few k increase the most

The game didn't actually get released in Aisa/Pacific offically so this post is factually false.

The boxes you see on shelves are imported ones.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• YamotaYamota LondonPosts: 6,620Member

Alot will buy the game but not as many as in the West because I don't think Star Wars is all that popular in the East. Regardless, the retention will be low because the game is simply not designed for longetivity.

• fadisfadis funkg, GAPosts: 469Member

200k.

• channel84channel84 CyberjayaPosts: 584Member Uncommon

Asian mmo player have 0 tolerance for a single player game that tried to act like an mmo. To them solid gameplay is more important than "cinematic" gameplay or VO yada yada. Well unless gold farming is booming with potential i'm guessing around 50-100k sub max in asia region

Tera would fare much better imo.

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Caucasian/WhitePosts: 312Member

Originally posted by channel84

Asian mmo player have 0 tolerance for a single player game that tried to act like an mmo. To them solid gameplay is more important than "cinematic" gameplay or VO yada yada. Well unless gold farming is booming with potential i'm guessing around 50-100k sub max in asia region

I bought a box in the US, so I hope I can get a free transfer to the Asian servers.

Regarding channel84's quote, I tend to agree. I'm in Korea now and I think most mmorpg players like to play in groups with their friends in computer cafe's. I don't think the heavily instanced single-player story will go over big here. Also, I don't think it's going to be translated and voice-acted into Korean, Japanese, or Chinese. So those huge markets won't factor as much as they might with quality  translation.

If the game is targeted at Aus/NZ/Singapore/Phillipines then I think sales will be okay there, but I really don't know.

• zymurgeistzymurgeist Pittsville, VAPosts: 5,211Member Uncommon

Oriental players aren't fundamentally different from occidental ones. They're distinct individuals with varied preferences not some monolithic horde of gold farmers or super specific MMO elitists.  Claims based on stereotypes are always nonsensical.

"Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

• BunksBunks New Port Richey, FLPosts: 960Member

Maybe I was given false info, after all we are dealing with EA here, but this isn't reaching that many people. Aus, NZ, HK, and Singapore. If they reached the same ratio of sales there as the US and EU(and that is a stretch) they may generate 125-150K sales total.

And last I heard, the server backbone will be in Australia, which won't be very good pings for HK and Singapore. Based on cable pathways.

• arctarusarctarus nilPosts: 2,570Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by jpnz

Originally posted by arctarus

The game didn't actually get released in Aisa/Pacific offically so this post is factually false.

The boxes you see on shelves are imported ones.

??? Which game isit.imported?

wow, vanguard, war, aoc, rift, tor etc... all of them is release the same time, release worldwide, and players already bought the game if they wana play. So you won't get much new subs just because you gona release a server here. Unless you ate like Tera which region block, and than release in Asia.

RIP Orc Choppa

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 none of your buidnessPosts: 476Member Uncommon

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Oriental players aren't fundamentally different from occidental ones. They're distinct individuals with varied preferences not some monolithic horde of gold farmers or super specific MMO elitists.  Claims based on stereotypes are always nonsensical.

Yes they are, doesn't mean their wrong... Many asian cultures are very diffrent from the pan european and NA culture especially in regards to popular culture.

There is a reason why JRPG's didnt worked in the west in the past and most still don't do and vise versa, the culture if too diffrent and yes i am singeling out the Japanese currently but still diffrent cultures like and can relate to diffrent things.

JRPG story telling and char development, and even the estetics do not appeal as much to western players which prefer a diffrent setting, same thing can be said about Japanese players which mostly do no react well to western games.

Most modern RPG's dont even sell in Japan because they dont have what it takes to cut into the market, games that did launch in Japan like ME2 sold bearly nothing there and were considered a huge success. This isnt limited to RPG's take Call of Duty for example, Activision tried to sell the shit out of the game there(EA did too with BF3) and look at the sales compaired to EU or NA, its not a laungage barrier its a cultureral one.

Streotypes speficially cultural setroetypes exist for a reason to a point they are true if not for individuals then for their scociety and culture as a whole.

Saying that an oriental culture is exactly the same as the American one is just either foolish or an attemp to elevate your self in your own mind above others.

Korean, Chineese, Japanese and many other asian countries have diffrent cultures, most of them will have more similar cultures to one another than to say the US or Germany just because of their relative proximity.

It is realy hard to find a game which can successfully cross those cultural boundries, and most of them do it from the east to the west and not vise versa. Those who do are usually much more simplified arcade games which the west has allready accepted since the late 70's, but launching a western game in asia can be like launching a michal bay movie in Tokoy the likelihood of it succedding it quite slim.

• DollMighty8313DollMighty8313 St. Cloud, MNPosts: 179Member

Originally posted by Yamota

Alot will buy the game but not as many as in the West because I don't think Star Wars is all that popular in the East. Regardless, the retention will be low because the game is simply not designed for longetivity.

Lol what the hell are you you talking about?  Not designed for logevity?  Give me a friggin break, they are announcing content faster than any MMO in history and you are claiming they aren't going for long-term.  Just because you've ran into a few bugs and probably burned through the content doesn't mean the rest of the players are the same way as you.  Despite what the increidbly negative community here on MMORPG thinks the game isn't failing.  There is a numbers drop in every MMO to have ever been released.

It's one thing to think the game is not for you, but don't spreak blatant lies.

• ChieftanChieftan Independence, MOPosts: 1,417Member

Asian mmo player have 0 tolerance for a single player game that tried to act like an mmo. To them solid gameplay is more important than "cinematic" gameplay or VO yada yada.

That's what I've always like about the Final Fantasy series and it's probably why it's so popular in Asia.  I'll take meat and potatoes statbuilding over story elements any day!

• jusomdudejusomdude Somewhere, KSPosts: 2,401Member

IDK, let me go find gaming sites for all the asian countries and take a poll.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Neverneverland, TNPosts: 877Member

Would be betting very low.  Look at EVE, I've never encounter oriental players.  The SW IP is more of a Western thing just like how Aion wasn't a very big hit Stateside.  Not to mention the language translation they would have to go through.  I doubt BW and EA will spend the massive amount of money to redo the VO to various Oriental languages which in turn might turn off a lot of Oriental players I would think.

Eastern and Western markets are drastically different.