Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Wondrous or Worrisome?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Secret World is one of those games that players are overjoyed about or cautiously optimistic about or simply downright pessimistic all the way 'round. Are the reasons for these feelings justified? Check out our thoughts on the subject in our latest column devoted to The Secret World.

All the heady praise does give one pause to consider, however. MMO fans tend to be a skeptical bunch all in all, particularly with regard to press accolades given to a game before its release. We hear a lot of “well, they’re paid to write things like that” and “the almighty dollar speaks again” and other such things. But are those thoughts a fair assessment of the impression a game makes on a reporter during a carefully scripted press event? I think not.

Read more of Suzie Ford's The Secret World: Wondrous or Worrisome?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Big enough for both this titles? Sure.

TSW is disqualified for me though.

Why?

Douple Dipping business model.

If they charge for box and subscription I expect no cash shops , rmt & microtransactions.

They do plan do have cash shop that will make ~ 35% of sub amount of money.

so thanks but no thanks

kkthxbye

• NevronNevron Member UncommonPosts: 43

I have two concerns about the game. First, it's Funcom, but you touched on that. You give them more credit for learning growth in the past four years than I do. Yes, they may have 'fixed' AoC to a degree, but the most telling part of that whole AoC fiasco was the amount of polish they put into Tortage and then to make that the beta preview before launch, knowing full well that rest of the game wasn't nearly as polished and outright unfinished. It was essentially a bait and switch.

Second, now we come to TSW, and I'm a huge fan of world PvP. After they scrapped their world PvP idea and their emphasis on instanced PvP for the benefit of story, I feel that they're a little flaky on their direction. As far as instanced PvP and story goes, it may be a fun game, and that may be enough to warrant getting it. I'm not going to conclude one way or another until after it's released. With WvW in GW2 I won't necessarily need world PvP in TSW, but I don't know if the rest of the game will be appealing enough to draw me in.

Shadow of Apophis - Council Member

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Originally posted by fenistil

Why?

If they charge for box and subscription I expect no cash shops , rmt & microtransactions.

so thanks but no thanks

kkthxbye

I agree.

There are too many games to look forward to than to be nickel & dimed to death by a model like this.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Meh, I am definitely intrigued by the game, just because of the differences it has with many others (modern, contemporary setting, a innovative system of advancement, and 3 way pvp) but that will not be enough to make me pull the trigger.

I want to hear that it is a good, solid game. If a game is good enough, I will be willing to pay a sub, as long as the cash shop does not have pay to win items/services. If it is strictly cosmetic and the game is good, then I will give it a shot.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

I have high hopes for TSW as well, especially after trying it out. For me the skill system is good enough that I am going to buy the game. I don't know how the rest of the game will pan out, but I hope it's good. :)

@Nevron as far as I know TSW will have PvP minigames and a persistent PvP zone and some FFA area...

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I hate when a game launches with sub fees and cash shops.  Its a giant slap in the face and lets you know up front that the $50 box cost and $15 a month are not enough to earn you all the content in the game. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

It's not like I'm going to play the 90% fun game because it's cheaper. I will always be looking for maximum fun. If TSW is maximum fun and special I'll pay whatever it costs. I certainly can afford to :D

Also.. double dipping moddel??? Unless you gonna hang around in online shop designing yourself fancy vanity outfits one after the other the game is straight P2P. But as I said. I will never boycot a fun game just beacuse it was too expensive. I will always go for maixum fun!

The Ultimate Breakdown

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Originally posted by Talonsin

I hate when a game launches with sub fees and cash shops.  Its a giant slap in the face and lets you know up front that the $50 box cost and $15 a month are not enough to earn you all the content in the game. 

GW2 is only boxcost. Should launch around christmastime 2012. So there you go.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• KynmoreKynmore Member UncommonPosts: 66

you're paying $35 for the game and $15 for the first month....

Brrrflp!

• TheSedatedTheSedated Member Posts: 82

Originally posted by DaSpack

GW2 will have an ingame shop also, it's confirmed for some time now.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

haven't seen nearly enough of this game to be excited or judge it one way or the other. half of the little i have seen is not good.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by fony

haven't seen nearly enough of this game to be excited or judge it one way or the other. half of the little i have seen is not good.

same here. All this tight control on actual gameplay has me worried now. I was excited about this game but now it's starting to feel all too familiar.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Well the game itself im highly intrested in, but like plenty of others I wont buy the game due to the bussiness model. not much use writing that here since its not particulair contructive feedback but  voices gota be spoken to be heared eh.

might try the game out after a year or so when they trow around trials and special offers, or never since there plenty of upcomming intresting tittles.

• NevronNevron Member UncommonPosts: 43

Originally posted by TheSedated

GW2 will have an ingame shop also, it's confirmed for some time now.

Yes, and the stated problem in the first quote was having subscription fees and cash shop.

Shadow of Apophis - Council Member

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

So was the Montreal (and Oslo) event hands on, or was it simply a 'dog and pony' show? Are we going to get a preview or was nothing new really shown?

Where is all the detailed information? This is suposedly launching before GWII yet FC seem way behind on the marketing.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by Kynmore

you're paying $35 for the game and $15 for the first month....

this, If you pay for B2P game like Skyrim and play for a month, it is the same as playing SW:TOR for a month....

PS: Skyrim was fun, but I got bored after 3 weeks, and I didn't bought SW:TOR

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Originally posted by mmoDAD

Why?

so thanks but no thanks

kkthxbye

I agree.

There are too many games to look forward to than to be nickel & dimed to death by a model like this.

it's the same for me. But it's tornquist. I looved TLJ and Dreamfall so much =/

• HatewallHatewall Member Posts: 120

The Secret World: Wondrous or Worrisome?

Funcom must not have made a donation.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Oh look, a sober review.

Is this a trap?

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Isn't GW2 confirmed to have a cash shop for cosmetic and other items? Also isn't GW2 selling adventure packs in the form of expansions? The only difference is that GW2 does not have a subscription fee, which is what I expect TSW will scrap eventually.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Originally posted by TwilightEdge

Originally posted by mmoDAD

Why?

so thanks but no thanks

kkthxbye

I agree.

it's the same for me. But it's tornquist. I looved TLJ and Dreamfall so much =/

same for me and I was following the game for like 3 years or so, preety even before most of people would even know, till they tell us how would be the bussiness model, P2P plus CS, so no thank you, i'm already annoyed with goverment stealing from me not gonna burn more money on stupid things like this, so for all I care TSW can crash and burn.

but too bad most of people are morons and will comply and give then all money they want for this.

later people complain why the world is like it is....

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The cash shop, at least from all that I've both seen and read, is convenience only. For instance, players will be able to buy outfit items. Since there IS no armor class in TSW, the purchase is purely for cosmetic looks only. Why would anyone feel compelled to use a cash shop?

Really, this sort of revenue model is a good one. People kvetch about box prices with subs. People kvetch about F2P with item malls. This is a nice mix of both: A quality subscription game (which many say makes a better, higher quality game) with a convenience store if so desired.

Funcom isn't going to be twisting anyone's arm to buy stuff to "win".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• VargurVargur Member CommonPosts: 143

TSW is my game for 2012 and I hope it lives up to its potential. Problem these days is that most games are easy mode, and offer few challenges. I am playing LotRO part-time while I wait for TSW, but when I can kill two mobs, each who are five levels above me, at the same time without breaking a sweat, then it does become boring.

I do like a lot of what I have read about TSW, but there are sadly few things they can make wrong before it becomes a fail. Players are becoming highly selective in their games and not very forgiving. I am myself a AoC veteran, and that game may be very polished today, but the F2P model is still not enough to lure me back. For that there they opted for too many paths that are different from those I would have chosen.

TSW, really looking forward to it and have high hopes, but manage to maintain a healthy dose of scepticism.

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

"Even though I knew that I was only seeing what Funcom wanted me to see and that the parts of the game we were playing were polished to a high degree, I knew that if Funcom could do this well with this much, they could certainly pull it off for the game as a whole. I believed it then. I believe it now."

Above taken from the article.

Really? You KNOW this for a fact do you? And the article is about MMO'ers NOT trusting the shills that are paid to "know" things without seeing them.

Right. TSW articles by the reviewers are shit and not to be trusted. You just proved it.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I am looking forward to this game very much, why? Because its headed by Ragnar for one, he was not involved in the other mmos that these guys made and if he was, he was not the lead. Dreamfall and the Longest Journey were two very good games and I am looking forward to his touches of these games on TSW.  I like the world and am a bit burned out by HIgh Fantasy and its lack of serious innovation in world design and race designs. So while I will get GW2 I know that its going to be a damn good game but I also know as far as world design and lore its not going to do anything remakably super different (the big bosses in the world are Dragons-yawn).   I also like the fact that this is a thinking man's mmo which means that certain types are not going to play this game, along with the types who care more about pvp than world design and story. A dream come true imo.  I get to play a mmo with all the intelligent folk and none of the others, a pure win win situation if you ask me. Yeah the game has a cash shop, but as was said, nobody is forcing you to use it.  Many theme parks in the past have this and I am sure that the ones who don't like it  many of them already have a sub to one of the mmo's that have it right now.  Eve has one, WoW has one, EQ2 has one, etc, etc.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!