Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Things that are coming - LFG, Duel Specs, Customisable UI... But one question:

2»

Comments

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Originally posted by Dredphyre

Originally posted by dubyahite

Company has to launch the game at some point. You can't develop every feature out of every mmo ever and make your launch date.

That being said, these features are expected in a modern game an they don't have a whole lot of time to get them implemented before people start freaking out.

Thes games are very complex systems. People often say things like "it would only take five minutes of coding!" or "the devs are just lazy" or "it's just a couple of if statements!" these people could not be farther from the truth. They have no idea what the internal development process is like and how complex these systems really are.

Even the simplest of features or fixes can have far reaching consequences when it is rushed or poorly implemented. It can cause bugs in completely unrelated systems or break the game in many ways. You need look no further than the Soa bug fixes Bioware has been doing. They are rushe and poorly tested and they always cause more bugs.

TL;DR: it's not as simple as you think.

Truth. This is it.

yea this is true,UI for example,who the heck even needs one? theres no point to test this kind of stuff with people who are testin game in alpha / beta,theres no point to ask what do they like about it,bleh thats so last season..

and thats why swtor is so cool  game from the future,they tested everything and theres no bugs at all because of this.

Let's internet

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    @forumpvp

Except you misse the part of my post where I mentioned their rushed and poorly implemented Soa bug fixes that keep breaking the fight even more.

Those "fixes" aren't receiving any testing on the PTS and they are releasing them every week. Every week Soa gets more and more buggy.

Your trollish response betrays the fact that you didn't even read my post before responding.

Nice try, but you missed the point.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

too late for me.... :(

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

@forumpvp

Except you misse the part of my post where I mentioned their rushed and poorly implemented Soa bug fixes that keep breaking the fight even more.

Those "fixes" aren't receiving any testing on the PTS and they are releasing them every week. Every week Soa gets more and more buggy.

Your trollish response betrays the fact that you didn't even read my post before responding.

Nice try, but you missed the point.

what try??i didnt read anyone elses posts either?just stated some facts to someones post,i dont even know was it yours.

Let's internet

• Skaara55Skaara55 Member Posts: 42

Originally posted by Skaara55

Company has to launch the game at some point. You can't develop every feature out of every mmo ever and make your launch date.

That being said, these features are expected in a modern game an they don't have a whole lot of time to get them implemented before people start freaking out.

Thes games are very complex systems. People often say things like "it would only take five minutes of coding!" or "the devs are just lazy" or "it's just a couple of if statements!" these people could not be farther from the truth. They have no idea what the internal development process is like and how complex these systems really are.

Even the simplest of features or fixes can have far reaching consequences when it is rushed or poorly implemented. It can cause bugs in completely unrelated systems or break the game in many ways. You need look no further than the Soa bug fixes Bioware has been doing. They are rushe and poorly tested and they always cause more bugs.

TL;DR: it's not as simple as you think.

Classic apologist here folks, just move along.

Ok, then tell me how I'm wrong instea of throwing insults. You have nothing to add to the conversation and I doubt you even have a basic understanding of what goes into making these games. Explain the development process to me if I'm such an apologist. The truth is that I do have an understanding of what a huge development project like an mmo requires.

Come back here when you have some real information to contribute to this conversation an let me know how I'm wrong. I'm dying to hear it. Should give me a good laugh.

Whatever you gotta tell yourself apologist. I'll get back to you when I value the opinion of a biodrone.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Specilizations for dueling? DO TELL!

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

The game has numerous issues we all know that, some go as far back as alpha, like the UI, the LFG tool has two seperate camps, to me it is not game breaking IF there is a healthy population. The UI on the otherhand is something that is a basic feature and honestly it sucks. 

As another has posted SoA keeps getting worse each patch, the QC is horrible, just look at all the Ilum fixes, it got worse and worse each patch until now, but no one is on Ilum anymore lol they all left. We could talk about broken quests, or Space on rails, Reverse Engineering that is not working as intended, the uselessness of any crafting etc etc, but we all know about them.

Dual Spes is a whole other issue compounded by the fact of the way they made the ACs, but to not have the option at a reasonable cost to respec in the game is way beyond me. See these little things drive customers away no matter how good you think the storyline and questing are, little things make a quality game and they are severly lacking in this game.

I beta tested this game and soo many features that were in and worked are out, and features that did not work are in go figure, why oh why I bought the CE is beyond me now, I really thought that BW would pull a rabbit out of the hat with the final build and get the high rez graphics in, the armor matching, a better UI, PvP fixes that we all knew about but it didn't, such a waste.

Server merges are next, and after that who knows the future of this game, but with 2-3 really nice MMOs getting ready for release it does not look good. The fun factor post 50 is what is really going to kill this game because it offers nothing new nor does it better then anyother MMO out currently.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Ya no kidding , only reason people complain about such petty things is cause they are not having fun, cause there is much bigger flaws in the game.

So of these features people expect is way too, people still want to compare a new game to one thats been out for years and expect them to be on par for features and content.... but cant have it all.

Like seriously if you are quitting a game cause it does not have the UI you desire, there is bigger problems going on in your head.

Originally posted by Entropy14

Ya no kidding , only reason people complain about such petty things is cause they are not having fun, cause there is much bigger flaws in the game.

So of these features people expect is way too, people still want to compare a new game to one thats been out for years and expect them to be on par for features and content.... but cant have it all.

Like seriously if you are quitting a game cause it does not have the UI you desire, there is bigger problems going on in your head.

I would agree with this. I think the game is honestly that bad that people just have huge amounts of issues with it but when commenting on issues they tend to focus on what is bothering them the most at that time.

For me I think it is because they designed a game for soccer moms instead of gamers. I would itemize the problems this game has but it's not even worth it. I'll check back in a year when they finish making the game, maybe.
  • GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by noncley

Why on earth weren't these basic features - already tried and tested and standard with many lesser MMOs - implemented at SWTOR's launch? This game's been in development since 2005 and was developed by some of the best known names in the industry - so why are we only getting features to uncripple the game now?

Maybe it is just my experience, but the LFG tool, at least when implemented cross server, does ruin community in an MMO.  Way to many people more than willing to screw everyone else over if the possible repercussions are low (ie - no one will team with them anymore).  Kept to a single server though it does work pretty well.  But not any better than calling out in chat.

Duel Specs are nice.  Lazy and completely unnecessary, but they are nice.  Personally though, I like my choices having consequences.  If you want to change things on the fly, go play a SPG where you can "save" every time an important decision comes up and you can't make yourself live with your choice.

Customizable UI?  Another nice one.  Not really necessary in most games and this one is pretty good.  Still, I would like to eventually be able to adjust the size of my UI and maybe even move stuff around a little.  Right now though, I am having so much fun in the game that I really don't miss it.

Personally, it seems like you are just looking for things to not like (and therefore complain about), not actually have a legitimate problem.  Especially since NONE of the features are actually standards in the MMO gaming industry.  As a matter of fact, most games don't even come out with this stuff until well after a year from release.  So with BioWare getting this stuff in before the 6 month mark, I am impressed. 

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

I would agree with this. I think the game is honestly that bad that people just have huge amounts of issues with it but when commenting on issues they tend to focus on what is bothering them the most at that time. For me I think it is because they designed a game for soccer moms instead of gamers. I would itemize the problems this game has but it's not even worth it. I'll check back in a year when they finish making the game, maybe.

Sweet!  I hope you are right Skaara55, because the soccer moms are a lot more mature AND fun to play with.  Not to mention reliable and more likely to actually think about other people when teaming.  List me for one person praying you are right!

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

Originally posted by GMan3

the soccer moms are a lot more mature AND fun to play with

They still don't swoon when I roll up to them in my pimped-out civic, though

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Why on earth weren't these basic features - already tried and tested and standard with many lesser MMOs - implemented at SWTOR's launch? This game's been in development since 2005 and was developed by some of the best known names in the industry - so why are we only getting features to uncripple the game now?

Well some features arent in propably because EA pushed the release for Xmas11 and I bet the dev team had to put every resource out there in making the game playable for launch, so they propably had most of the team working on anything else than features like this.

However, I agree these basic features should have been at the launch. These are features that does not harm the game in any way and Bioware should have known better. Non-xrealm group finder and dual specs can only do good for the game, someone might whine that it's not social to use group finder, well it's hell of a lot better than not being able to put a group together AT ALL with the current system where you dont even have galaxy wide LFG channel, and dual specs have no downside at all, none, it just provides more people being able to fill more roles for groups which means again higher odds of being able to put a group together. I know I would heal from time to time if only I could swap my spec without having to visit skill mentor.

Bioware sure did fail just like any other mmorpg release considering first impressions, they target an audience that is used to these core features without delivering those features in their own game. Soon they have these features in place, and some folks might come back after this stuff is being implemented, but many have gave their final judgement already. It's (not) funny how history repeats it self time after time, it's like these companies are blind and deaf or just stupid enough not to understand this.

I'm still playing the game, and enjoying a lot of it, but I dont do group stuff basically at all unless some friends of mine are online because the grouping mechanics (total lack of them) are so anti-social.

Originally posted by Khaeros

the soccer moms are a lot more mature AND fun to play with

They still don't swoon when I roll up to them in my pimped-out civic, though

That is because you are driving a civic.

I would agree with this. I think the game is honestly that bad that people just have huge amounts of issues with it but when commenting on issues they tend to focus on what is bothering them the most at that time. For me I think it is because they designed a game for soccer moms instead of gamers. I would itemize the problems this game has but it's not even worth it. I'll check back in a year when they finish making the game, maybe.

Sweet!  I hope you are right Skaara55, because the soccer moms are a lot more mature AND fun to play with.  Not to mention reliable and more likely to actually think about other people when teaming.  List me for one person praying you are right!

Silly little fanbot, praying is for people who believe in fairy tales. Prayer, the one act that makes people feel as if they have contributed by doing exactly nothing.

Silly little fanbot, praying is for people who believe in fairy tales. Prayer, the one act that makes people feel as if they have contributed by doing exactly nothing.

And you prove my point.  Thanks for the help.

And you prove my point.  Thanks for the help.

You're welcome, what point was that though. That you're a biodrone shill and a baddie. I just assumed that was common knowledge around here.

I should really thank you though, watching you go into defense mode has been more entertaining than swtor ever was.
  • QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Originally posted by brutality123

they are not basic features if that helps and in fact is the answer to your question.

People have been completing content since a week or so after the games launch. Indeed some have quit stating there was nothing left in the game for them to do. This does not sound like the game is crippled

Yeah, they pretty much are basic features.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • AzarithAzarith Member UncommonPosts: 52

Basic features sheesh... still waiting for a damn combat log.

• D_I_BD_I_B Member Posts: 43

Back to the topic:

I aint gonna believe till' i see it. EA marketing is unfortunately quite the opposite of reality. Ive played a month and a half, ive maxed my char, ive done some content, ive gone bored and frustrated. VENI VIDI VICI

• Kasp3rKasp3r Member Posts: 67

i cant believe people are still playing this game. swtor was a brilliant failure, and cannot even be classed as a mmo.

he one decent thing was the class quests, taking my bounty hunter through dark side path made me chuckle a few times. the rest of the game is pointless.

crafting - no point whatsoever

end game content - non existent

pvp - lol

actually finding things to do - lmfao

after 30 days of playing, my guild had cleared all content, valor rank 55+, champ gear.

swtor = great single player.

anybody thinking of checking this game out, DONT. Also dont listen to the fanbois who are going to defend this mmo, it is crap!

• D_I_BD_I_B Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by Kasp3r

i cant believe people are still playing this game. swtor was a brilliant failure, and cannot even be classed as a mmo.

he one decent thing was the class quests, taking my bounty hunter through dark side path made me chuckle a few times. the rest of the game is pointless.

crafting - no point whatsoever

end game content - non existent

pvp - lol

actually finding things to do - lmfao

after 30 days of playing, my guild had cleared all content, valor rank 55+, champ gear.

swtor = great single player.

anybody thinking of checking this game out, DONT. Also dont listen to the fanbois who are going to defend this mmo, it is crap!

I will add something to that:

If u want a one-monther wait for a trial (2-week at least) and check it before subbing. Other than that - Its all healthier and better when you go with F2P titles that feel more massive than this and have more content....

To name a few: AoC, Allods, Lotro, DDO or even Runes of Magic(cause of it large playerbase and dualspecing).

As for me... Im gonna wait patiently for some sand-box/park game. Im gonna try GW2 aswell - no sub FTW!

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

They focused way too much on story.  That part of the game is great, but that's not what makes a great game (for me).  It would have been better if they focused on making the overall game more enjoyable.  

Here are a list of my gripes with this game:

1. The world is bland.  Not once was I amazed by anything in the environment.  Everything looks boring as hell and you never get that sense of "Wow...  this is incredible."

2. Quests are spread apart WAAAAY too far.  It's obvious they didn't want people to complain about how small the worlds were, so they made them huge and made the questing a huge time sink by making you walk so far.  

3. Too many dumb time sinks.  As mentioned in 2, questing is a chore because of how much traveling has to be done.  Then there is the way you enter your ship.  90% of what you have to do just to get there is a waste of time.  To top that off they have those little places in between your ship and the planet that is absolutely pointless. 

4. Ability lag is annoying as hell.  Why is my channled spell channelling and not doing anything?  Then there are skills such as Gore and Rupture for Marauders.  Why do I have to press the skill so many times for it just to go off?  I have other skills that work fine, but these 2 need multiple key presses to actually hit a target.  I will sometimes see my character spaz out trying to do the skill until it actually works.  

5. World PvP is a joke.  They obviously didn't think things through on this, and they definitely didn't think it through with their dumb update.  If you're not going to even try to do PvP right, don't put it in the game.  

6. Warzones do not give you an option to choose which you would like to play.  This is dumb.  I don't mind any of the 3 WZ, but I have friends that hate one in particuar.  Sometimes I would also rather play a particular type because that's what I'm in the mood for.  

7. RNG in PvP rewards.  Really?  Another stupid time sink.  Yes they might have changed it now, but I went through it before the change.  I still have multiple duplicate pieces sitting in my bank.  Now I am going through the same thing with battlemaster gear.  3 weeks of dailies and weeklies and I have only 1 piece to show for it.  Either they did think about this and figured it would be best so people keep paying and playing longer, or they're just idiots.  

8. You can tell they slacked off on many of the world quests.  Some of the stories are just plain old boring, and to top that off many of your responses are some generic bullshit.  How many time do I have to say "Time to rage," or "There won't be a heart left beating," or "This is a trifiling matter, but I'll do it."  Really?  They couldn't figure out other ways for you to respond?

Some of these are getting addressed, but not soon enough.  I agree a lot of those features in 1.2 should have been in the game at launch.  The excuse that the game is new is a poor excuse.  These are not the days when there were only a handful of MMOs.  Certain things need to be standard and they should have realized that.  They should have also realized that while many of us have been waiting for a MMO with full voice and story, that's not all we care about.  

This discussion has been closed.