Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Frustrating ZAM video on Ascalon catacombs

13»

Comments

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by Homitu

Originally posted by Zeroxin

We must remeber that this person probably didn't play all the way from level 1 to level 30 so he would be understandably noobish but that doesn't excuse the fact that HE doesn't remember that himself.

True, and to be fair, he does says "maybe it just seems hard because I suck" at one point.  But he says the dungeon is not balanced properly far more often that that ;).

Regardless though...you would think that, if for no other reason than to show the viewers more of the game, he would have switch attunements and weapons more.

Watching someone stumble through a dungeon pressing "1" 500 times just isn't very exciting.

At one point he said something along the lines of "the downfall of being fire spec is I have to be in melee range for most of my abilities."  It seems he's under the false belief that he's stuck in fire attunement based on where he allocated his traits?  Or maybe he just thinks that because he didn't place his traits elsewhere, the other attunements are automatically useless.  Either way, the thought process seems silly if he's followed the game at all.  

I don't know what the heck he was thinking, but the reality was that it was the dual daggers that caused most of his abilities to be melee, not fire attunement.  Dual daggers has a lot of very close range abilities.  And I would guess they probably aren't advisable for DPSing very heavy hitting mobs inside of dungeons.

The crazy thing was that the video was like 40ish minutes long, and his dungeon run was even longer than that because he said he wiped a bunch of times.  So it just baffles the mind why he didn't start trying different strategies instead of banging his head up against the "dual daggers 1 spam in fire attunement" strategy over and over.

It reminded me of the Simpsons where Bart and Lisa play rock paper scissors:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMxzU6hxrNA

this!

• Two-handed

• Staff — can cast different AoE spells with direct or lasting effects.

• Main-hand

• Scepter — casts various single and multiple target, medium range spells.

• Daggeremphasizes close range spells as well as self-defense.

• Off-hand

• Focus — provides powerful close range abilities suitable for cross profession combinations.

• Dagger — provides supportive spells in form of energy shields, healing geysers and defensive AoE effects.

• StydusStydus Member Posts: 50

There may be some tweaking that has to be done, I couldn't tell honestly, but when someone sits there and spams the same ability over and over and over (Which REALLY annoyed the hell out me), this isn't balancing issues, using 1 out of a VAST skillset isn't the games problem, I mean I've seen noobs, but this guy seems to be playing the game intentionally wrong.

• 1carcarah11carcarah1 Member Posts: 172

Its good to see how people wont be able to faceroll dungeons

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by Homitu

Originally posted by Zeroxin

We must remeber that this person probably didn't play all the way from level 1 to level 30 so he would be understandably noobish but that doesn't excuse the fact that HE doesn't remember that himself.

True, and to be fair, he does says "maybe it just seems hard because I suck" at one point.  But he says the dungeon is not balanced properly far more often that that ;).

Regardless though...you would think that, if for no other reason than to show the viewers more of the game, he would have switch attunements and weapons more.

Watching someone stumble through a dungeon pressing "1" 500 times just isn't very exciting.

At one point he said something along the lines of "the downfall of being fire spec is I have to be in melee range for most of my abilities."  It seems he's under the false belief that he's stuck in fire attunement based on where he allocated his traits?  Or maybe he just thinks that because he didn't place his traits elsewhere, the other attunements are automatically useless.  Either way, the thought process seems silly if he's followed the game at all.  

Lol, after 36 hours of play (or so he claims) he doesn't know that changing weapons changes your skillset... He's wielding dual daggers isn't he? That's close range weaponset... He should have swithched to staff which is long range skills, obviously.

Frankly, he's probably lying that he played it before entering the dungeon, he obviously didn't read ANYTHING about the game because that's like one of the most talked-about features AND he is too lazy to fiddle around with the game and explore it a bit.

So, he didn't do his homework and now he's blaming that the dog (ANet) ate it.. If he were just a little bit smarter he would have kept his mouth shut and hope no one would notice he's been skipping work. But no, the dumb sod had to draw attention to himself... (and what a moron, having GW2 to demo over a whole weekend and then missing out on it... what did he do? go fishing?)

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

So game has not even released and we already startet riding our high horses. Yeah some people suck at gaming just like all of us suck at other things in life. Making fun of them and insulting them for it is uncalled for.

But practsie makes man perfect and it is not an impossible task to over come.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Originally posted by Superduper69

So game has not even released and we already startet riding our high horses. Yeah some people suck at gaming just like all of us suck at other things in life. Making fun of them and insulting them for it is uncalled for.

When you're part of the gaming press and making really terrible and uninformed comments while getting it all on video, then you're free game.

Some people actually take those previews/reviews as fact and don't know any better.  It's up to us common folk to set things straight.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Well, I suck at many things in life but when I'm required to do them I make an effort to the best of my ability.

Sorry, but the dude didn't say "Well I've read up on the game and I know that I'm supposed to dodge and switch weapons and attunemens but.. butterfingers! Sorry!" He simply didn't prepare, AT ALL. He didn't make an honest effort to learn something about the game before playing it. The mistakes he's making could have been largely avoided if he took 5 minutes to read up on the game's basic mechanics. That's not excusable lack of natural talent, that's just plain lazines and then arrogance to blame the game because he wouldn't bother to read up on the game or just simply click a few buttons on the screen except "1".

That's probably the worst video review I've ever seen, and not because he "sucks at gaming" but because he was simply too lazy to bother and then had the gall to try and cover his ass by blaming the game and his "sucking at gaming". He seems to move around quite proficiently to me. It's just he's totally clueless what game he's playing and he doesn't seem to care. Who gave that guy a job?

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

He deserves derision because despite acknowledging his ineptitude, he states that it is the dungeon that needs retuning, instead of recognizing that if he were more skilled he might not run into such trouble. After all, we don't know if the dungeon needs retuning because nobody who filmed their run-throughs of the dungeon were anywhere close to comfortable enough with the game mechanics or respective professions to determine its appropriate difficulty.

The man had access to four attunements, multiple weapon sets, and dodging, knew this, but the problem is with the dungeon? I guarantee you this thread would only be one to two pages long if he'd refrained from making that comment about the dungeon.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Sadly the combination of a leet gamer and a good journalist is a rare thing... mostly because leet gamers don't do much else lol ;)

I must admit I stopped warching at the first gate though so I didn't ruin the dungeon for myself.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by sidhaethe

He deserves derision because despite acknowledging his ineptitude, he states that it is the dungeon that needs retuning, instead of recognizing that if he were more skilled he might not run into such trouble.

This is a fair point.

• Kyuz0oKyuz0o Member Posts: 80

Truly the worst coverage I´ve seen so far. I mean he actually thought just because he`s wearing daggers he has to go melee as elementalist? I couldn`t even stand watching the first 10 minutes and turned it off.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

He himself pointed out he played for 2 days straight he recorded this 6am in the morning and was first time they did this dungeon.

He was only caster in group but dont cast he melee upclose with cloth armor so he die alot hehe.

Call it unbalance dungeon under these condition is rather silly i think.

He just made a FOOL of him self so its totally not importend what he says its a dumb run by a not so smart guy i would not be so upset by this OP there are plenty of good videos out there that do alot more JUSTICE to game and grouping then this video.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I actually liked the video in the OP, since this experience may be closer to reality at release than the other video guided by devs. Though I guess both groups had devs inside. By the way in the other videos posted in this thread people are still clicking on some skills.

By his comments he played since 2 days, and it was 6am when he did this dungeon.
    Maybe he tried as many weapon sets or classes as possible, just to show them off as a journalist.

I saw several familiar mechanisms, however movement and combat in this game seem to be very fluid.

OT: why do some videos on Youtube take longer to load than others? The more views, the faster the upload?

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Strange ho he warns that 'red circles are bad', yet he dont move out of them...

/confusedjackiechanface

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

So many pros in this thread, yet noone noticed he's only using daggers for the first few minutes, then switches to scepter for the rest of the dungeon?

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Naqaj

So many pros in this thread, yet noone noticed he's only using daggers for the first few minutes, then switches to scepter for the rest of the dungeon?

Yet still he spams 1, 2 and occasionally even presses 3. image

It pretty obvious that most people on this thread couldn't stomach watching the entire video, of him failing and blaming it on the game. Quite frankly that's just immature.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by Master10K

Originally posted by Naqaj

Yet still he spams 1, 2 and occasionally even presses 3. image

It pretty obvious that most people on this thread couldn't stomach watching the entire video, of him failing and blaming it on the game. Quite frankly that's just immature.

>.< it was WELL into the video when he switched and he RARELY used 2 or 3 lol... dont be so nice Master10K =P

about the red circles... omg I noticed that too, "red circles R bad mkay" *continues to stand in EVERY red circle*

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Seeing this video just makes me worry that there are going to be tons of "it's too hard" QQ threads because players think they should just be able to faceroll through difficult dungeons.

Yep.  Faceroll is the new norm.  It's part of the paradox of mass-appeal gaming.  Make it hard enough that it's a challenge, and players quit for something easier.  Make it easy enough that gameplay is effortless and then it's too fast and easy, and content didn't last long enough.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Normally I hate to comment on these types of things because lord knows I'm no gaming guru, and I'm sure some would tear me apart if they saw how I play but that was simply brutal to watch.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by ComfyChair

Originally posted by Cursedsei

Originally posted by Skuall

Arenanet never nerfed dungeons as far as i know :) even when dungeons were hard as hell ^^

Depends on your definition of "nerf". Recently a Factions dungeon zone did recieve an alteration. To pass through an area at one point, you required  skills not native (or available) within Factions. This was changed so that you could access the required levers without said skills.

They have nerfed things before, but generally its to rebalance everything. Hard Mode enemies have had their health upped, but armor decreased to make other classes more valuable and usable. Plus, most skills enemies use, are the same skills players have, so any time "Fireball" gets changed for instance, its for both players and NPCs alike, unless specified.

As for the mashing 1 question, 1 is the first skill available to your weapon, and thus changes when you change weapon loadouts (or equip a toolkit), it isn't an auto attack.

Having to take a skill only available to necro's or necro seconaries was bollocks anyway, never mind you have to own other campaigns aside from factions :p

That wasn't a nerf, that was someone rectifying a complete and utter balls up :p

Heh, that's the same way I see it too. I'm just saying that is the closest thing I can think of that has come as a "nerf" towards PvE conten only. I say its a bloody good thing, but you know there is someone out there cursing ArenaNet because they "totally made it EZ-Mode for teh noobz".

• GilcroixGilcroix Member UncommonPosts: 262

Originally posted by Kyuz0o

Truly the worst coverage I´ve seen so far. I mean he actually thought just because he`s wearing daggers he has to go melee as elementalist? I couldn`t even stand watching the first 10 minutes and turned it off.

I don't think it was so much that he thought he had to melee. From videos i have watched, when using the 3 claw fire attack, you have to be right infront of the target to hit with all 3 claws. If you were to move to it's max range, it becomes a 3 target ae cone attack, and you would only be hitting the target with one claw. So for fighting single targets it was in his best interest to be right up on the target. Although a bit more dodging would have been prudent. image