Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So it's the second payment month for SWTOR and the population continues to decline.

Comments

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by nikoliath

Originally posted by Atheenah

Im an old Star Wars fan, probably older than most of you. Having played most SW games, i really looked forward to this.

But as more and more became known, i had a bad feeling of it all. Still, i pre-ordered as soon as i could.

After playing about 3 weeks, i just couldnt stand it any more. It wasnt Star Wars, it was to linear and there were lots of reasons i quit. Now i look to alternatives, but it will take a while before anything good comes out, im afraid.

Have you considered that MMORPG's just aren't for you? There is a list of dozens and dozens of them on the left margin of this page.

MMORPGs aren't for you but here's a list of them? Doesn't make any sense, but neither does that old, tired argument.

The fact is, it's the crappy MMORPGs that aren't for us. We just demand more in our games, others are more easily entertained.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Originally posted by Zekiah

Im an old Star Wars fan, probably older than most of you. Having played most SW games, i really looked forward to this.

But as more and more became known, i had a bad feeling of it all. Still, i pre-ordered as soon as i could.

After playing about 3 weeks, i just couldnt stand it any more. It wasnt Star Wars, it was to linear and there were lots of reasons i quit. Now i look to alternatives, but it will take a while before anything good comes out, im afraid.

Have you considered that MMORPG's just aren't for you? There is a list of dozens and dozens of them on the left margin of this page.

MMORPGs aren't for you but here's a list of them? Doesn't make any sense, but neither does that old, tired argument.

The fact is, it's the crappy MMORPGs that aren't for us. We just demand more in our games, others are more easily entertained.

the point of the list was to suggest that if he can't find one to play and enjoy then this genre isn't to his liking. Simples, no? Same applies to you, it really aint a hard concept to grasp... But hey, some people pick up these things easier than others.

the point of the list was to suggest that if he can't find one to play and enjoy then this genre isn't to his liking. Simples, no? Same applies to you, it really aint a hard concept to grasp... But hey, some people pick up these things easier than others.

It is pretty simple, you tell someone that MMORPGs aren't for them and then you offer them a list of more, makes no sense. But that's what happens when you take these discussions so personal. It's the game that's being judged, not you.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• AmmoniusAmmonius Member Posts: 3

It only took 2 weeks to become bored of SWTOR, what a waiste of 60$, and what a waiste of 200 million $.  If a game is going to copy wow, and spend 200 mil doing so, it should at least be on par with wow.  

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Not trying to start a flame by anymeans, but, I find it very interesting that now that everyone seems to know this game is dying we don't hear from the biobots anymore. It's like they've reached the same conclusion now that they've reached the end of the game and (for those who've played WoW know what i mean) are tired of standing around in the main cities waiting for a group to form for a flashpoint or an operation. Been through that and those of us who were pointing this out about games like this were all but thrown under the bus when all we were trying to do was two things:

1: keep people from wasting their money and time

2: keep companies like this from not learning from their mistakes of putting out garbage. When you pay a company and you don't login because you are bored of their game they won't learn anything because they think you are enjoying their game. They don't check logins they check sales. Makes more sense to keep your money until they fix every issue and keeps them honest.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I had a major blast leveling and early pvp levels.

Story telling was unique and awesome at first, but it became so repetive and doing flashpoints where painfully anoying to see the same scripts over over and over again.

Downtime for 1 minor buggfix on primetime for 4 hours straight and each downtime was on days i had some free time to play as i work in shifts.

It is horrible they do this to EU players and it gets old fast.

In the netherlands you needed to pay for the game and 2 month sub to activate but i havent logged in for weeks.

I feel like i have been scammed once again just like Aion / Warhammer, it wasnt worth all the money thats for sure.

So we can say SWTOR failed like many previous mmo's before.

Hope it dies fast so other mmo studio's see this kind of trash aint worth releasing.

It is pretty simple, you tell someone that MMORPGs aren't for them and then you offer them a list of more, makes no sense. But that's what happens when you take these discussions so personal. It's the game that's being judged, not you.

i've highlighted the the sentences in red for you, and just incase;

"it will take a while for anything good to come out"  suggesting that there is nothing good to play in mmorpg land.

if there is nothing worth playing from the entire mmorpg offering then mmorpgs aint his thing. 

I'm not concerned with wether people enjoy TOR or not, but whining about being disappointed, like one poster here, because you bought the game despite knowing it would be quest heavy and admitting to HATING questing is .... well, absurd.

I hate, HATE beans but as they were bioware beans I thought i'd like them... I'm so disappointed. I must post on the forums that bioware beens are horrible.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

With 39 games listed in your sig, I guess that means you are still looking for a game you like? I do hope you find one that satisfies.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Yeah I feel kind of the same. I wanted to get to 50 with my Guardian but I am so bored. Same type of quests over and over, no originality and PvP is boring. Problem is what else can you spend your gaming time on?

TERA is still a couple of months away... maybe Project Entropia image

Originally posted by Yamota

Yeah I feel kind of the same. I wanted to get to 50 with my Guardian but I am so bored. Same type of quests over and over, no originality and PvP is boring. Problem is what else can you spend your gaming time on?

TERA is still a couple of months away... maybe Project Entropia image

Wakfu comes out in less than a week!  I played open beta and had a blast, while my remaining month of swtor ticked away.

"it will take a while for anything good to come out"  suggesting that there is nothing good to play in mmorpg land.

if there is nothing worth playing from the entire mmorpg offering then mmorpgs aint his thing. 

I'm not concerned with wether people enjoy TOR or not, but whining about being disappointed, like one poster here, because you bought the game despite knowing it would be quest heavy and admitting to HATING questing is .... well, absurd.

I hate, HATE beans but as they were bioware beans I thought i'd like them... I'm so disappointed. I must post on the forums that bioware beens are horrible.

So, it's your opinion that people shoudn't be critical of SWTOR because you consider it whining? They're not allowed to voice their opinion of disapproval and should just keep it to theirselves? Should opinions that mesh with yours be the only valid posts allowed here?

C'mon already, it's a public forum where gamers are allowed to voice their opinions in a respectful manner without fear of forum gestapo censoring their every word. Get over it.

Originally posted by RefMinor

With 39 games listed in your sig, I guess that means you are still looking for a game you like? I do hope you find one that satisfies.

and you conclude that I have not found any? Can't say I've hated any of the ones I've played. Perhaps some of us don't expect to live in one MMO for 7 years. Perhaps some of us just enjoy mmo's ~ gosh fancy that, I am in the minority in this respect in this community.

I like to try em, if I dont stick around I don't come to the nearest forum and whine about how upsetting it is, how I wasted £40 etc, I simply move on.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Perhaps some of us just enjoy mmo's ~ gosh fancy that, I am in the minority in this respect in this community.

You think you are. You make that clear in several of your posts I have seen where you berate or judge the community, but truthfully I think you're mistaken.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

So, it's your opinion that people shoudn't be critical of SWTOR because you consider it whining? They're not allowed to voice their opinion of disapproval and should just keep it to theirselves? Should opinions that mesh with yours be the only valid posts allowed here?

C'mon already, it's a public forum where gamers are allowed to voice their opinions in a respectful manner without fear of forum gestapo censoring their every word. Get over it.

they are free to say what they like, enjoyment is subjective. Saying you were disappointed by something you bought that was filled to the brim with features you "HATE" is rather silly, don't you think?

I honestly have no issue with genuine dislike of any game, but if you are going to tell others about it don't be suprised if others discount you when you make stupid comments.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

they are free to say what they like, enjoyment is subjective. Saying you were disappointed by something you bought that was filled to the brim with features you "HATE" is rather silly, don't you think?

I honestly have no issue with genuine dislike of any game, but if you are going to tell others about it don't be suprised if others discount you when you make stupid comments.

Discounted
  • KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by Kyleran

I will say my son's friend who really likes SWTOR has suddenly picked up WOW once again, and his reasoning is that now that he's level 50, and actually decently geared there isn't much of interest for him to do for now.

So his theory is go sit in Stormwind or Org for the next 7 months waiting for Pandaland while throwing money at Blizzard monthly for hotfixes and no new content? His logic really escapes me, but that is typical when talking about WoW players.

WoW players do not exactly have much of a leg to stand on when it comes to criticizng TOR.

This^

Also, why did he bother gearing up if he wasn't going to use that gear? This is part of the issue with mmorpgs these days, many players just gear up so they can flex nuts while afk'ing in a social hub.

Remember the days when players would gear up in order to benefit the guild they were in as a whole? Well, those days still exist for some of us. Taking the time to gear up and then quitting, instead of supporting your guild and helping gear up the other members is the very essence of selfishness.

Population hasn't declined on my server at all, how odd...

No, I don't think it's silly at all. In fact, it's one of the main reasons I value this site.

I've saved a lot of money by coming here and reading similar posts and I'm glad they posted without fear of finger-pointing and mob-stoning.

Originally posted by Kost

I will say my son's friend who really likes SWTOR has suddenly picked up WOW once again, and his reasoning is that now that he's level 50, and actually decently geared there isn't much of interest for him to do for now.

So his theory is go sit in Stormwind or Org for the next 7 months waiting for Pandaland while throwing money at Blizzard monthly for hotfixes and no new content? His logic really escapes me, but that is typical when talking about WoW players.

WoW players do not exactly have much of a leg to stand on when it comes to criticizng TOR.

This^

Also, why did he bother gearing up if he wasn't going to use that gear? This is part of the issue with mmorpgs these days, many players just gear up so they can flex nuts while afk'ing in a social hub.

Remember the days when players would gear up in order to benefit the guild they were in as a whole? Well, those days still exist for some of us. Taking the time to gear up and then quitting, instead of supporting your guild and helping gear up the other members is the very essence of selfishness.

It's often that there is nothing to do endgame.  There is no reason other than raiding and some limited pvp to do anything but afk in social hub.  Helping guildies is one thing, but nothing like eve online has endgame.

• Timeout77Timeout77 Member Posts: 177

This^

Im not a WoW player.. Im the ORIGINAL MMO PLAYER....what I hate about TOR list. I did not buy the game for obvious reasons

1. Instancing

2. Battlegrounds

3. Usless Crafting

4. Broken economay.. item inflation.. lack of any kind of economay game that a game like EvE offers

5. Way to easy to level

6. Not enough grind

7. STORY

8. No guild suport, no guild bank at release, no guild tools

9. Factions

10. Class system

11. No open world

12. No flying in space, only on rails

13. single player friendly

14. Raids

15. The fact that if its a success we have to put up with these Types of clone games for another decade or so. And I might aswell pay EVE/CCP for 50 years worth of subsa and plan my funeral plot ingame.. Because I probably have to play it untill I die, because nothing new that caters to my playstyle will ever be made....

I basically  hate the whole game, what it stands for and what a sell out it is.. catering to MONEY and not to make a decent Innvoating game that Try to be something new and diffrent. Worst thing is that there are so many of you playing it.. I really have no clue about what you are thinking... Or how this game can be anny fun whatsoever...

TERA atlest has a new combat system and alot of GUILD tools, its far from perfect, but at some point Im going to have to give a new game atleast a chans.. It has a political system no Factions, working economay etc so, I have to rise above it all and deal with the fact the game has Instancing and Raids etc... But atleast its closer to my own vision of a good mmo Then what SWTOR will ever be......

hoo I forgot

16 No decent death penelties, just respawn and get back in there.. LOL how boring..

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

I am sure lots of people enjoy SWTOR.  However that being said by all indications the player population on most servers is dropping.  This is not good news for EA as it appears the player base stopped growing beyond the launch +30 day period and as a result of is going to be no where close to what EA promised to investors on subs.  NA/EURO retention numbers will be interesting to see in April when EA reports.  I wonder if they are going to seperate out NA/EURO subs and ones they pick up for the Asia release. 

If you enjoy the game then this really should not matter to you at all just go have fun, no game is made for everyone and what is being discussed really should not matter to you.   It should matter to those who invested in EA and I can tell you they are not going to be very happy based on what EA promised on return on investment.  Remember this is not about breaking even, or making some profit, or that having 750kish subs is still a "success" based on that number.  They sold investors on a large return, and millons of sub for more than a year.  This does not appear a very likely with how the game has been received by the overall gaming community.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by Timeout77

This^

Im not a WoW player.. Im the ORIGINAL MMO PLAYER....what I hate about TOR list. I did not buy the game for obvious reasons

1. Instancing

2. Battlegrounds

3. Usless Crafting

4. Broken economay.. item inflation.. lack of any kind of economay game that a game like EvE offers

5. Way to easy to level

6. Not enough grind

7. STORY

8. No guild suport, no guild bank at release, no guild tools

9. Factions

10. Class system

11. No open world

12. No flying in space, only on rails

13. single player friendly

14. Raids

15. The fact that if its a success we have to put up with these Types of clone games for another decade or so. And I might aswell pay EVE/CCP for 50 years worth of subsa and plan my funeral plot ingame.. Because I probably have to play it untill I die, because nothing new that caters to my playstyle will ever be made....

I basically  hate the whole game, what it stands for and what a sell out it is.. catering to MONEY and not to make a decent Innvoating game that Try to be something new and diffrent. Worst thing is that there are so many of you playing it.. I really have no clue about what you are thinking... Or how this game can be anny fun whatsoever...

TERA atlest has a new combat system and alot of GUILD tools, its far from perfect, but at some point Im going to have to give a new game atleast a chans.. It has a political system no Factions, working economay etc so, I have to rise above it all and deal with the fact the game has Instancing and Raids etc... But atleast its closer to my own vision of a good mmo Then what SWTOR will ever be......

hoo I forgot

16 No decent death penelties, just respawn and get back in there.. LOL how boring..

waiting for the ....hey look you want a sandbox type game and are dissapointed and blah blah blah.. honestly for a themepark game this one is pretty bad. People had such high hopes for this game with such a huge IP and big company creating it. To top if off how many HUGE budget sci-fi mmos have ever come out? this genre is overrun by the fantasy clones and for something with such a big budget and such a great theme behind it to fail this miserably is pathetic. For  them to go into this with the mindset warcraft is what we should aim for in terms of overall gameplay was just a horrible idea in so many ways. Nothing feels like playing a jedi to me. Nothing feels like being a bounty hunter or being a smuggler the game just does not feel like star wars, which to me is the biggest dissapointment of all. When I play this game I feel like I'm playing the same tired game I have been playing forever.

And for people who say just move on why argue about it.. well how many other decent star wars games out there can you play online with your friends? how many good sci-fi ones? you really have very few options in this regard. People wanted this to be more than just a good MMO they wanted a good sci-fi MMO. In the past sci-fi MMO's have been more dissapointments then success at least in my eyes and many of us hoped this game would help break that trend not just continue it...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by Twistingfate

For me this is the reason why I wait for reviews to come out before I buy most mmo. I like bioware as a company but its rather sad SWTOR hasnt be as awesome as the IP could have been. They had access to one of the most loved IP of all time. How could they butcher it? xD 

Im not a Starwars fan by any means. havent even watched all the movies xD but it cant be denied how popular the IP is haha

Problem I have game site reviews is they never seem to pick up on the problems and just spread praise. 

Like GTA 4 and how they all said it was amazing, then the backlash happened when the public played it and the general opinion was the game was boring.

Originally posted by tixylix

For me this is the reason why I wait for reviews to come out before I buy most mmo. I like bioware as a company but its rather sad SWTOR hasnt be as awesome as the IP could have been. They had access to one of the most loved IP of all time. How could they butcher it? xD 

Im not a Starwars fan by any means. havent even watched all the movies xD but it cant be denied how popular the IP is haha

Problem I have game site reviews is they never seem to pick up on the problems and just spread praise. 

Like GTA 4 and how they all said it was amazing, then the backlash happened when the public played it and the general opinion was the game was boring.

GTA 4 was a great game what are you smoking....

With an IP like this they would not have had to make a sanbox...

But why not make the RAID content like okey lets Hit a "deathstar" some of the raiders are fighting in space.. while others land on the ground to diactivate the force field.. Has never been done before?

Why dident they Copy the Racing from film number 4(episode 1)? Make custimizable racers.. you could trim and build engines, build diffrent death contraptions.. Put In a racing Engine for the Racing, Just Instance it. Have other players take bets on it.. and watch the racing on a screen... Have 3 Events per week and in the downtime betwen races people could repair and Refit their Speeders for the next Race... Have a hole crafting Industry around it??

Why not let people be real smugglers and others be bounty hunters trying to catch them??

I can go on and on and on

But with so many things they could have done why did it end up with.. "Watch/listen to cutscene then go kill 10 Rats for tails.... and why did endgame end up being Mouse Wheel? that you run over and over on diffrent dificutlies for Purpul drops?? I personaly dont get it.. Im lost for words at the lack of Innovation this game has brought to the genre... 

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by Timeout77

Originally posted by tixylix

GTA 4 was a great game what are you smoking....

It was boring, the whole date stuff was bad imo, the constant mobile calls were annoying, the story died after the first island and the multiplayer sucked.

SA was much better. [Mod Edit]

This discussion has been closed.