Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sony region locking EQ2 (and other games...)

124»

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

more info

http://eq2wire.com/2012/05/02/as-dcuo-hits-30-60-day-pro7sat-1-window-brasse-provides-answers/

- existing players with Station Access will be Grandfathered

- US players on military leave across the world can still use US as their billing

- Vanguard will be part of this deal, after it goes free to play

• TortanicTortanic Member Posts: 85

They're all about the bottom line at the cost of their playerbase.

If your playerbase hates you, they're alot less likely to give you money.

(See: EA, Blizzavision)

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

This "cable-tv" company that will run SOE games in Europe. They use to make customer sign up for a period of time... be it with that give a (lousy) decoder or a superb offering.

How are they going to be able to handle the situation where they have customers they need to please on monthly basis?

Will this "cable-tv" company use the same shit they have been using to "force" people onto their network?

Have you not seen The Cable Guy?

No, I do not for a second believe that PSS1 have any better ethics than any other cable-tv companies have.

Good luck.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,956

Have you seen that ProSieben is running their forums on phpBB.  LOL!

Good luck linking your account info to that. Nice and secure! LOL!

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by JeroKane

PSS1 is a German media company operating solely in Germany.  How is the rest from the European playerbase, outside germany, going to profit from this?

Alaplaya is a horrible company with a very bad reputation!  PSS1 buying this up hasn't changed this the slightest.

Remember GOA? It's parent company is Orange (a huge telecom company), yet they ran first DAoC into the ground in Europe and later on they did the same with Warhammer Online!  Completely screwed that up too! Ending with EA Mythic buying back the publisher rights and moving EU players over to US servers. Just that it was ofcourse a little too late!

So a terrbile company being bought up by a Media giant doesn't automatically mean improvement!

PSS1 most likely just bought Alaplaya, just so they could sign the deal with SOE.

PSS1 has ZERO experience in running games, yet alone complex MMO systems!

Alaplaya has only experience running some crappy cheap games no one has ever heard from... and they ran it badly too! Selling people's personal info, having crappy security, etc, etc.

The funny thing is, it's the German playerbase of SOE that went into uprising first, as they know Alaplaya and PSS1 all too well.

FACT is, that if SOE continues this road and forces all European players to sign up with PSS1 to continue playing SOE games, they gonna loose a huge part of their European playerbase.

So all in all.... it's just going to end up a Lose - Lose situation for everyone!  Also for the US players, as a huge portion of the European players in EQ2 plays on US servers like Antionia Bayle (me included).  So they gonna see a significant drop in activity on those servers.

They even went as far as in the very first FAQ saying that European players would even be locked out from US servers!!  This caused the first Major Uproar in the forums with the discussion topic litterly exploding with angry and upset people! That they had to quickly come up with a new FAQ rethinking that decision and no longer put an Region lock on US servers!

I just don't understand SOE and why they can't do it like other companies like NCSoft has done.

AION in Europe is now run by Frogster, but AION North America isn't region locked, so Europeans can just create or continue using existing NCSoft accounts to play on the US AION.

SOE could learn from that!  Give people the CHOICE to either go with PSS1 or continue using SOE.

That, in the end, would be the only Win - Win situation.

Very well said! I agree with this too. I am furious I will no longer be able to play with the friends I made on Crushbone where I have been since the release of the game.

The part I underlined: GOA ran DAoC Europe when I first got into the game and played on Excalibur. My level 35 spiritmaster fell into the bridge outside Jordheim, getting stuck in it. There was no /stuck command back in those days, and getting to 35 took quite a while (this was in classic DAoC), logging in and out didn't help. The only way I could get in contact with a CSR was through email because there were none ingame. I sent my email, waited, waited, waited, and waited. After two weeks of waiting, not getting a response, sending in a reminder email and still not getting a response, I decided to buy a copy of the American client from a Canadian website, and never looked back.

With WAR, it seemed like GOA had improved until I went to register my credit card details in order to subscribe to the game. There was a bug that would not let me use any of my credit cards. Even though I wanted to subscribe to the game after my free month was up, I couldn't. Ok, so they don't want my money, I am not going to give it to them.

It is really odd that GOA is owned by Orange, because I am an Orange customer and they are actually not so bad to deal with (about average for a telecommunications company). GOA was a complete mess and I will never, ever play a game run by them ever again. Period. I don't know ProSeiben, but it sounds like a German GOA. SOE can kiss my subscriptions goodbye until they wake up and smell the coffee about how bad of a decision this is.

Such a shame. The fact that SOE games were not region-locked was actually one of the major attractions to staying with this company. Now, forget it... such a shame because I do like EQ2 and wanted to get into PS2.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by MurlockDance

SOE can kiss my subscriptions goodbye until they wake up and smell the coffee about how bad of a decision this is.

Such a shame. The fact that SOE games were not region-locked was actually one of the major attractions to staying with this company. Now, forget it... such a shame because I do like EQ2 and wanted to get into PS2.

Yeah, I really loved EQ2, and was a subscriber until I heard about this. Canceled my account and stopped playing while waiting to see if they really were going to do this. Now that it's decided, I'm done with SOE.

Like you, I was really looking forward to one of their upcoming games, I had decided to try EQ Next when it's released. That won't happen now, dealing with PSS1 / Alaplaya isn't something I'll even consider doing.

http://eq2wire.com/2012/06/20/everquest-ii-prosiebensat-1-transition-now-30-60-days-away/

The EverQuest® II transition process to the ProSiebenSat.1 Games service will begin within the next 30 to 60 days. Once the transition takes place, you will need to have or create a ProSiebenSat.1 Games account in order to play EverQuest® II.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    Originally posted by Nadia

http://eq2wire.com/2012/06/20/everquest-ii-prosiebensat-1-transition-now-30-60-days-away/

The EverQuest® II transition process to the ProSiebenSat.1 Games service will begin within the next 30 to 60 days. Once the transition takes place, you will need to have or create a ProSiebenSat.1 Games account in order to play EverQuest® II.

I chose to cancel my sub instead.

I'm absolutely gutted by this; as much as I was by the SWG NGE.

*chants* No more SOE for me!

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,956

Two accounts canceled here too!

I am really sad about this as well.

No more EQ2. :(

No EQ3 nor Planetside 2. :(

Such a shame!

• OBK1OBK1 Member Posts: 637

Well, no more all access account for me. Even if Prosieben offered one it would be watered down and not including EQ1 or Vanguard :(

I have been pretty happy with SOE thus far, great customer service department and all in all good games. I didn't play SWG so not angry about them for that since I can't have much of an opinion about it. Now though...I will not transfer, I will simply quit.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

I know this is by no means a decent solution and you shouldn't be forced into it, but can't you proxy your IP to a US one and use paypal so you don't input any address? Ofcourse this would be more of a new account solution, don't think much can be done on an existing account.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,875

I do not like region locking am not going to resub or sub to any game from SOE.

Originally posted by OBK1

Well, no more all access account for me. Even if Prosieben offered one it would be watered down and not including EQ1 or Vanguard :(

http://eq2wire.com/2012/05/02/as-dcuo-hits-30-60-day-pro7sat-1-window-brasse-provides-answers/

- existing players with Station Access will be Grandfathered

otherwise

i agree, Prosieben is a bad move on SOEs part

• GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463

i hate commercial cable TV , i hate Pro 7 and i never will pay them for playing Everyquest 2.  Everquest will die after this stupid move anyways. 

i have 2 accounts on GUK and 600 Station Cash , if i cant log into them anymore from one day to the next i just remove EQ2 from my Harddisk.

Finally SOE died for the 2nd and final time for me......... what a stupid move !! unbelievable.....

p.s the few new euro players will need people to group which wont be there, so it might be best to double the power of all companions or allow to have more than one companion out at a time.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

I can't believe no one has mentioned this (and that it's not front page news here) - apparently Sony is selling off (or has sold) the European rights to a lot of their games, and in the process, region locking the game.

Europeans on US servers will be grandfathered in, but no new ones can play, and those outside Europe that have been playing on EU servers are now out of luck.

NOT TRUE! http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?start=3&topic_id=516733

"Will International servers be merged with the U.S. servers?
    No, European and U.S. based servers will exist independently of each other. However, European players will be able to play on U.S. servers and vice versa."

Then again, we're talking $O€ here, so you never know when they change it...

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by Reizla
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

I can't believe no one has mentioned this (and that it's not front page news here) - apparently Sony is selling off (or has sold) the European rights to a lot of their games, and in the process, region locking the game.

Europeans on US servers will be grandfathered in, but no new ones can play, and those outside Europe that have been playing on EU servers are now out of luck.

NOT TRUE! http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?start=3&topic_id=516733

"Will International servers be merged with the U.S. servers?
    No, European and U.S. based servers will exist independently of each other. However, European players will be able to play on U.S. servers and vice versa."

Then again, we're talking $O€ here, so you never know when they change it...

Before you're SCREAMING "NOT TRUE" next time, check up on changes/updates. This WAS true until SOE changed it.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

I got this email concerning DCU Online. I can now merge/move/create/...whatever on prosieben.

"The transition process will begin today with DC Universe Online being the first game migrated to the ProSiebenSat.1 Games service. Once the transition takes place, DC Universe Online players in the above mentioned European countries will need to have or create a ProSiebenSat.1 Games account in order to play DC Universe Online. European players who want to transfer their existing SOE account and character data will need to link their SOE account with their ProSiebenSat.1 Games account."

I'll repeat myself, if you think SOE is bad then... well we are at war with satan.

I won't contribute to a cable tv guy to harass my games.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"