Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sony region locking EQ2 (and other games...)

Comments

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

Smedley - "We've come up with a plan to allow ALL players to play on any servers they want. More details to follow."

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

PSS1 is probably the last nail in the coffin for all SOE games.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

Originally posted by Orphes

They shutdown the creation of their game "The Agency".

Closed its Denver, Seattle, and Tucson studios and eliminated 205 jobs.

Transferred said studios' projects over to its San Diego HQ.

This and this new partnership is all part of their "strategic decision to reduce costs and streamline its global workforce" to "focus development resources on delivering two new MMOs based on its renowned PlanetSide and EverQuest properties, while also maintaining its current portfolio of online games."  What is so wrong here? Since when do companies get criticised for trying the improve the quality of their work? The problems with the partnership are being fixed so there's nothing left to complain about... yet, it's still going on.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Originally posted by tkoreaper

This and this new partnership is all part of their "strategic decision to reduce costs and streamline its global workforce" to "focus development resources on delivering two new MMOs based on its renowned PlanetSide and EverQuest properties, while also maintaining its current portfolio of online games."  What is so wrong here? Since when do companies get criticised for trying the improve the quality of their work? The problems with the partnership are being fixed so there's nothing left to complain about... yet, it's still going on.

Ofcourse my opinion is only based upon my own (heh not shure of the correct word) prejudgement.

Stomach feeling and I believe that the cable tv bransch is the most evil there is, and that Smedley/SOE in comparison is... well look at a cute My Little Pony meme and you have it.

The last dealing I had with a company in that bransch they upright told me I that there was nothing to do when they said I hade something silly like 3months left on my contract, even if I proved him wrong by reading out from their own contract where it said I had 1 month. Not until I made him realise that the other option/interpretation was that one of their employee actually had impersonating me and signed me up for a 3 month contract after my last month (without my concent).

And seeing that PSS1 actually had a plan for reserving the right to delete characters after 90 days...

The culture is to different, and those companies PSS1 lives on making people bound to them amongst other things. And that culture will not mix with gamers.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

"What is so wrong here?"

Lol... A couple of companies spoonfeed you with lots of marketing mumbojumbo and you swallow everything with hook, line and sinker. That's actually the wrost part of all. Or maybe you're some undercover poster associated with either SOE or Pro7?

"Improve the quality of their work"

What the heck is being improved by this? Tell me, I don't see ANY improvements here. Neither does anyone else, appearently (check link below).

"Nothing left to complain about...yet, it's still going on"

Yes, it's still going on. And there are reasons for that. If you want to educade yourself further on why, I advice you to check one of the threads on the EQ2 forum. It has ALMOST 200 PAGES almost EXCLUSIVELY NEGATIVE to this deal.

Link: http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?&topic_id=515195

(This isn't the only thread on this matter)

And "being fixed"? We don't know HOW they're "fixing" this, but it seems Europeans will be forced to deal with Pro7, since they will almost certainly handle accounts, payments, etc. Do you know ANYTHING about this company, and the reputation they have here in Europe???

Btw, it's bloody easy for you to sit over there in Texas and defend everything about this. You will never have to deal with Pro7 at all. We who lives in Europe are the ones who WILL be affected by this, not you. So tell me, what's your agenda?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by Netspook

And "being fixed"? We don't know HOW they're "fixing" this, but it seems Europeans will be forced to deal with Pro7, since they will almost certainly handle accounts, payments, etc. Do you know ANYTHING about this company, and the reputation they have here in Europe???

Btw, it's bloody easy for you to sit over there in Texas and defend everything about this. You will never have to deal with Pro7 at all. We who lives in Europe are the ones who WILL be affected by this, not you.

I agree with you

SOE tried this before with UbiSoft and it didnt go that smoothly, I don't like their decision try it again

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Originally posted by Nadia

I agree with you

SOE tried this before with UbiSoft and it didnt go that smoothly, I don't like their decision try it again

I so agree with you here. And ouch with respect to this deal. I have been away from the forums and haven't checked my email account for a while that my SOE account is associated with. This is a nasty surprise indeed. However, I think it doesn't affect me much since I made my characters on a US server at launch. At that time, Crushbone was one of the servers designated for EU players and I have been there ever since.

Sucks though to divide up the community. I never really liked that in the first place. I also think a change this late for a game like EQ2 is a bit of shooting one's self in the foot, because in the end they could lose annoyed players by this: it is just one extra step that can foul up the smooth running of services available to their subscribers and that is never a good idea.

I have never dealt with ProSieben, but past deals between EU and US companies have always been negative for the players: Codemasters and Turbine, Mythic and GOA, SOE and UbiSoft, etc.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

"What is so wrong here?"

Lol... A couple of companies spoonfeed you with lots of marketing mumbojumbo and you swallow everything with hook, line and sinker. That's actually the wrost part of all. Or maybe you're some undercover poster associated with either SOE or Pro7?

What the heck is being improved by this? Tell me, I don't see ANY improvements here. Neither does anyone else, appearently (check link below).

Yes, it's still going on. And there are reasons for that. If you want to educade yourself further on why, I advice you to check one of the threads on the EQ2 forum. It has ALMOST 200 PAGES almost EXCLUSIVELY NEGATIVE to this deal.

Btw, it's bloody easy for you to sit over there in Texas and defend everything about this. You will never have to deal with Pro7 at all. We who lives in Europe are the ones who WILL be affected by this, not you. So tell me, what's your agenda?

It is not just folks on the Euro servers who will be affected, its all of eq2, I am not sure why folks think we in the US will not be affected, some of us play on euro servers due to work hours. Watch out that thread is being heavly moderated.    I would een say that there might be a dev or two posting false information with their personal account trying to calm folks down.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Originally posted by erictlewis

"What is so wrong here?"

It is not just folks on the Euro servers who will be affected, its all of eq2, I am not sure why folks think we in the US will not be affected, some of us play on euro servers due to work hours. Watch out that thread is being heavly moderated.    I would een say that there might be a dev or two posting false information with their personal account trying to calm folks down.

SOE will still handle accounts etc for US players. And, let's assume Smed told the truth for once in his life, and that everyone *will* be able to play on any server they want to:

US players are NOT affected, then.

So the ONLY effect this has for you, is that a lot of players seems to have left, leaving the servers emptier than before.

Btw, you are correct about the heavy moderation on that thred. The mods are deleting like crazy, but that's all SOE is doing there - no info at all in weeks now.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Well from years of previous experiance with SOE's track record, I feel its safe to say that no matter what they decide to do, they cannot help but turn this into a massive clusterf*ck.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

All I can say is that SOE are stupid f*cks. How a company can be so dumb and retarded is beyond me? IP locking really?

I seriously do not understand how a company like Sony can keep this sh*t called Sony Online Entertainment. I've never had any gripes with the Sony brand but SOE are just pissing me off.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

So what, Sony proved they dont really care about keeping EQ2 alive for long by using the pay trap version of F2P.

The fact that real F2P games like Atlantica has far more players than quality games like EQ2 and Conan proves companies that use the pay trap model just plain dont know what they are doing in the F2P market.

It just doesnt work, if people were willing to pay to play your game they would ALREADY be doing it...you are not targetting people who play F2P games with a trap model. Its all about microtransactions...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

wOW THIS IS BAD. aLWAYS LIKE BEING ABLE TO PLAY eq2 WITH FRIENDS OVERSEAS ESPECIALLY WITH THE WEIRD HOURS I PLAY.

updated FAQ posted 03/30

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?start=1&topic_id=516733

sounds like this wont be implemented in EQ2 for a few months

http://eq2wire.com/2012/03/30/brasse-talks-updated-prosiebensat-1-faq/#more-13264

A great many details are still being worked out, and we have a significant amount of time left – we haven’t even determined a transition date for EQII yet.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

updated FAQ posted 03/30

sounds like this wont be implemented in EQ2 for a few months

http://eq2wire.com/2012/03/30/brasse-talks-updated-prosiebensat-1-faq/#more-13264

A great many details are still being worked out, and we have a significant amount of time left – we haven’t even determined a transition date for EQII yet.

Basicly what soe did was tell the eu customers today you have to have a pss1 account to play or you can hit the road.

In other words they really did sale out their eu customers to pss1.   Its not a good thing for sure.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,003

They keep doing stupid things to the game like the latest thing their going to do is take the suburbs of Qeynos and make them an instanced quest zone and turn the city into a hub thing. Oh yeah and made it f2p and items the same but that's probly old news by now since I haven't followed it for awhile.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Ouch, this really sucks for EU gamers. 

Frogster did a similar thing to Turkish players of Runes of Magic, except they didn't bother to give notice. Players literally just tried to log in one day and couldn't. Diamonds (cash shop currency) weren't refunded, characters weren't transferred, and they pretty much just told all Turkish players to go f*ck themselves. It's why I won't do business with that company, EVER.

Looks like SOE is pulling the same garbage. It just amazes me that companies still do this in today's global market. The good thing is that they're slowly but surely nailing the lid on their own coffins by doing so.

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

SOE has been region locking their games for years. There's even a theory out there that the reason EQ2 could never compete with WoW is that SOE locks Asian players from their games (revenge for the failure of EQEast). 

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Originally posted by emperorwings

They keep doing stupid things to the game like the latest thing their going to do is take the suburbs of Qeynos and make them an instanced quest zone and turn the city into a hub thing. Oh yeah and made it f2p and items the same but that's probly old news by now since I haven't followed it for awhile.

Oh god, no. I hated when they did that to Freeport. It just destroyed the character of the place. Admittedly, I liked Freeport proper better than its suburbs, but its the reverse with Qeynos: I like the villages and all their little quests better.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,003

They will probaly do a token system for raining next. It wouldn't surprise me.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

I really hate this whole deal, as much on principle as anything, but a small amount of digging reveals that ProSieben have a less than savoury reputation & are considered a pretty bad player in the market for the way they treat their customers, and their customer's security.

The biggest blow was finding out that EQnext & Planetside 2 are included as part of this deal which basically means I have now lost any & all interest in playing those 2 titles.

Massive mistake by SOE, I'm 100% convinced they could have done far better if they need money so bad that they required a European publisher.

Bye SOE, call me when you come to your senses, you get no more money from me until this deal is finished & I will remove all your titles.

EQ2 sub cancelled (and I'd only just bought the last expansion before this deal went public), and I tweeted Smedley to request that SOE add the functionality to block all information held by them ever being passed to ProSieben, they can sell their game to ProSeiben, the fuckers aren't selling me or my information along with it.

• DissolutionDissolution Member Posts: 210

Two questions I have not been able to find a difinitive answer for on the FAQ's:

1. If I move from a US IP location, to an EU IP location, and then back again how does this affect me? Being military stationed in Europe this is the case for me. I will eventually move back to a US IP. Will the account transfer back?

2. If I have an all access account with SOE do I lose access to EQ2 and all other games under the Proseiblen (sp?) partnership?

At this point it does not affect me, however I was just about to get an all access account so I could play several of the SOE titles. If you are US based it doesnt seem to matter. If you move to different IP locations on a regular basis it appears to be very problematic. I definitely wont pay $15.00 a month sub for one game when I can get them all for $5.00 more. I also am definitly not going to sub to an all access account if it is not all access. I really do not understand how this will work for individuals who have a strong likelihood of wanting/needing to log in to their account from different locations worldwide.

I am hoping to here that I am misunderstanding this and these issues were considered.

I havent seen info for your 1st question

faq states All Acess is still being discussed

• DissolutionDissolution Member Posts: 210

I havent seen info for your 1st question

faq states All Acess is still being discussed

Thanks for the response. It really kind of sounds dismal for people in certain situations that it ordinarilly would not have been an issue for. We will see.

hTis decision seems to assume everyone either stays in the US permenantly, or stays in the EU permenantly. It definitely does not consider individuals who travel often for professional reasons. I may log in from the US, Asia, EU, Iraq, or Afghanistan. If I can only log in when I am in one particular neighborhood they certainly lost my business.

Originally posted by Dissolution (SOE) definitely does not consider individuals who travel often for professional reasons. I may log in from the US, Asia, EU, Iraq, or Afghanistan. If I can only log in when I am in one particular neighborhood they certainly lost my business.

guild wars2 is facing similar issues and havent addressed it yet

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/04/05/arenanet-details-guild-wars-2s-squad-mechanics/

we are aware that a lot of our players travel, and we are looking into a solution for you