Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well that was quick They fixed what plagued PvP.

Comments

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I would guess the upcoming complaints will mostly be towards low population, asking for quick server merges.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

How hard is it really to design a fun planet for PVP ??? I mean seriously Ilum is such a joke and so boring, if designed properly, with multiple goals, lots of fun bases, prisons, and other SW theme loctations scattered all over a beautiful planet with bonuses to the entire server would make a planet filled with 100 from each side fighting to achieve said goals.

Instead they make the barren wasteland of snow with 1 base for each faction 300000 miles apart with a few things in the middle, wow , how lazy, boring an unimaginative. 

And how poorly thought out do things need to be to not realize you would have like an 80/20 split on most pvp servers.

Like FK Im not expert but dosnt take a genius to figure out that Ilum would be complete fail and boring.

• eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265

Originally posted by Tardcore

Which begs the question if that were the truth, why then they would make this kind of statement.

"PvP – We have an entire team dedicated to adding content and features to player vs. player. We have some of the most experienced PvP developers in the world on this team. So far very few people have seen, or know much about the stunning Open World PVP on Ilum; when you get to the high levels prepare to be blown away! In addition to that high level PVP content, expect new Warzones and new PvP features on a regular basis."

From their own web site >clicky<

And please don't take this as me not agreeing with you, as I think you are correct. I'm just baffled how their so called team of some of he most experianced PVP developers in the world could produce such a lukewarm PVP enviroment.

Nice find. It made me giggle. The "most experienced PVP developers in the world" and that result don't really fit. If all that "genius team" could think of were 3 BG's err WZ's and a boring planet with daily/weekly pvp quests that's rather screwed up.

LFG!
  • DistasteDistaste Member UncommonPosts: 665

Originally posted by Entropy14

How hard is it really to design a fun planet for PVP ??? I mean seriously Ilum is such a joke and so boring, if designed properly, with multiple goals, lots of fun bases, prisons, and other SW theme loctations scattered all over a beautiful planet with bonuses to the entire server would make a planet filled with 100 from each side fighting to achieve said goals.

Instead they make the barren wasteland of snow with 1 base for each faction 300000 miles apart with a few things in the middle, wow , how lazy, boring an unimaginative. 

And how poorly thought out do things need to be to not realize you would have like an 80/20 split on most pvp servers.

Like FK Im not expert but dosnt take a genius to figure out that Ilum would be complete fail and boring.

And you've described the problem with most of the game. It simply feels like they spent 2.5 years doing nothing but writing/VO and then suddenly realized "Oh crap! We need to make a game!" and rushed through it. Even warhammer had the challenge of doing 20 different RvR zones and 15+ scenarios. It isn't like the SWTOR planets are super detailed and packed full of content either, the only thing that feels "complete" is the VO/story.

I think Bioware suffered from hiring a lot of mediocre talent and not having decent managers to keep people focused. When you realize, irrc, that WAR had 500 developers over took 3 years and SWTOR had 800 over 5 yeaers with better tools/technology, it's like they were incredibly lazy.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Distaste

I think Bioware suffered from hiring a lot of mediocre talent and not having decent managers to keep people focused. When you realize, irrc, that WAR had 500 developers over took 3 years and SWTOR had 800 over 5 yeaers with better tools/technology, it's like they were incredibly lazy.

? Not saying that this can't be true, but do you have any source links that prove these 500 devs working fulltime on WAR and 800 devs working fulltime on TOR for resp 3 and 5 years? Just curious. Those don't sound like numbers that are regular, but I don't really know, so that's why my question.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Fixing bugs has never been an issue for me in SW:TOR. Rather it is gameplay and mechanics which is garbage.

• FennrisFennris Member UncommonPosts: 277

They've still got major class balance issues, a cc-based pvp that is beyond absurd (and frustrating), server population balance issues (most play and like imp vs rep) and there's mirror classes/abilities that aren't mirrors (due to the timing of the animations, bugs or, sometimes, just arbitrariness). 

Other things that have been fixed recently include:  the imp-side turret in one of the warzones does not give points fastest when the imps cap it, the aoe snare from guardians now lasts 9 seconds (to match the imp mirror-class) instead of 6.  There are still very popular posts/threads on their pvp forums enumerating several other "little" things like this (that all favor imp-side) that obviously need to be fixed and that only leave people scratching their heads wondering how they got in there in the first place.

I'm playing the game and liking it, for the most part, but these sorts of things get to be very draining.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Yamota

Fixing bugs has never been an issue for me in SW:TOR. Rather it is gameplay and mechanics which is garbage.

And yet, by your own admition, you are still playing.  Hmmm . . . He doth protest too much, I think.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

Originally posted by Skaara55

Too little and too late and the game still has tons of issues. Send me a memo when the game is out of beta with standard mmo features.

You mean like WoW was for the first two years or so?

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Originally posted by Entropy14

I was gonna write something very close to this, but you did it for me so thank you.

Ilum was by far one of the most boring PvP elements i have yet to experience in a AAA MMO.

When the OP said they fixed PvP i thought for sure they brought in the Death Octagon (cant be like a small moon that would tick off Georgey) and blew it the hell up.

Lolipops !

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Hopefully GW2 will satisfy PvPer's.  It's definitely a vocal and seemingly very unhappy group of gamers....regardless of the game.

I feel like Bio may have given PvPer's the wrong impression that this was going to be a more PvP focused game than it is, leading to the dismay.  Luckily there are countless other games (although mostly console) that should really satisfy the hardcore PvP player.

Originally posted by Mardukk

Hopefully GW2 will satisfy PvPer's.  It's definitely a vocal and seemingly very unhappy group of gamers....regardless of the game. 

I feel like Bio may have given PvPer's the wrong impression that this was going to be a more PvP focused game than it is, leading to the dismay.  Luckily there are countless other games (although mostly console) that should really satisfy the hardcore PvP player.

The problem I see from reading several different website forums is that the PvPers themselves can't agree on what is good PvP.  If that is the case, how can ANY game designer make a PvP system that even a majority of PvPers will like and play?

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Business 101: 1)Sell broken product at exorbitant rate, 2)Slowly fix broken product, 3)receive praise.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by moosecatlol

Business 101: 1)Sell broken product at exorbitant rate, 2)Slowly fix broken product, 3)receive praise.

Kind of like the firefighter who is also the arsonist. :)

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by GMan3

The problem I see from reading several different website forums is that the PvPers themselves can't agree on what is good PvP.  If that is the case, how can ANY game designer make a PvP system that even a majority of PvPers will like and play?

First step is to not try and be the next wow because then your going to have same wow issues from start mainly pvp. Next step is to make sure you put as much effort as you do in pve into pvp it's literally common sense but very time consuming. Step after that would be to not rush the game out mainly mmo. Last but not least make pvp skillful and not bland. Won't be perfect but it's atleast a fair step in the right direction, ya know?

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

PVP is horrible in SWTOR even without the bugs.  The innovation in SWTOR was the story based aspect which was fun while it lasted.  I've dropped my sub a while ago already though as once you plow through the story there is really nothing left to do.  I did enjoy it for what it was though, but what it was was NOT a PVP MMO.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

Originally posted by RizelStar

First step is to not try and be the next wow because then your going to have same wow issues from start mainly pvp. Next step is to make sure you put as much effort as you do in pve into pvp it's literally common sense but very time consuming. Step after that would be to not rush the game out mainly mmo. Last but not least make pvp skillful and not bland. Won't be perfect but it's atleast a fair step in the right direction, ya know?

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be room in most games for BOTH PvE and PvP.  At least I haven't found one yet that manages it.  The fact remains though, that the hardcore PvPers that are so upset with this game can not even decide if they want MMO mechanics PvP or RTS, they can't decide on Tab targeting or manual, and they can't decide on if every class should be balanced with every other class OR should balancing be based on groups.  Then there is the arguments over full loot or not, death penalties, and much much more. 

In the end though, PvP is a niche game.  Ever notice that with one exception, almost all primarily PvP games have very low populations that is hidden by having very few servers?  Keeping that in mind, why would BioWare even bother working too hard on PvP since so few people will be playing it regardless.  Better off spending the money where it will actually earn a return.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Do Bioware defense force members get free swag or discounts? 

Legit question here. I'm sort of looking for a new cause to champion, but cancer and AIDS are so last decade.

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

Hmmm thought this MMO was "polished".

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Pvpers are unhappy because the last games with good pvp were nearly 10 years ago. Daoc ? eve ? planetside - been nothing mainstream with good pvp since (gw1 and war were ok), have been games like df and mo, but they had bigger all budget
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Oh also hardly anyone from the original mythic team worked on swtor.

A first phase had the brains to get out when ea got in.

A second phase got sacked later

The only mythic people at ea are marketeers like barnet and juniors they hired while making war

More original mythic devs worked on gw2 than swtor!

Originally posted by Lexin

It is.  If you were around for the release of WoW or pretty much any other game since (with the exception of Rift) you would understand.  SWTOR hasn't had even a twentieth of the problems.  That is pretty well polished in my book.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

I dont think that this is what "plagued PvP"

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Originally posted by Lexin

It is.  If you were around for the release of WoW or pretty much any other game for the last few years (with the exception of Rift) you would understand.  SWTOR hasn't had even a twentieth of the problems.  That is pretty well polished in my book.

Perhaps it is , but man I ran into a ton of GD bugs that were irritating and should have been handled well  before release. Polished enough I guess ...

To the OP, lol ....If that were the only 2 problems

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Bioware rocks, they do all the time updates to make game better. This game will stay for years on second place with subscribers