Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why no seamless world ?

Comments

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Originally posted by Exilor

Originally posted by Adalwulff

GW2 has always been advertised as a PvP game.

Where?

LOL?

You mean you see something different?  Where?

• ExilorExilor Member Posts: 391

Where?

LOL?

I mean, where has it been advertised as a PvP game? It's a honest question.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Originally posted by shane1090

Why is everyone comparing GW2 to WOW for a seamless world? They are two completely different games. One was made many many many years ago, the other is brand new.

Look at how much difference in graphics quality there is - in WOW, textures are low, models are low poloygons. Now compare that with GW2 - textures are higher, models have more polys in them. It's always going to be easier to make a seamless world in WOW if (and i'm using this as an example) to switch zones it has to load say 50MB worth of data, compared to GW2 which might have to load 200-300MB of data with the larger textures and quality models in connection with also the number of people in said zones as well that it needs to account for and load in. It's just a design choice by the developers.

Final Fantasy XIV developers came out and said that to make their zones which are amazingly detailed in terms of textures that they had to 'Copy and Paste' the terrain to make the world seamless. They have now admitted that this was not the way to go as it meant the zones were repetitive and dull, so they are now switching to zoned off areas to make the zones more detailed and varied. This is due to the graphics they are using.

Reading through the recent previews from the press and also getting to play it at Eurogamer, the zones are MASSIVE already, so typically were not going to see the loading screens too often anyway. And who cares if i see a loading screen for 5-10 seconds? 

So stop comparing the game to WOW - it wasn't the first or last MMO created. GW2 is trying to be different! I would rather they spent the time trying to make a 'seamless' world and put that into adding content and refining what they already have.

Besides, if they did have seamless worlds you would only have all the trolls here saying "OMG WOW clone - they have seamless worlds like WOW"!!

FFXIV did it, and I am pretty sure FFXIV's polycount is going to be bigger than GW2. So we're back to square 1, you don't have to bring in WoW, you can just bring in FFXIV.

Though I am not sure how seamless FFXIV really is, I did not play it much.

Originally posted by deziwright

All people mean by seamless: "Is there a load screen or can you walk from A-Z without it. (minus dungeons)

SO in that regard. yes WoW and Tera are. There is no such thing as a seamless game because everything is being loaded/buffered. So if you are one of the trolls saying no tera and wow are NOT seemless. You are being to literal and wasting ur comments here.

To the OP: Guild Wars 2 sadly seems heavily load screen oriented. It probably does have everything to do with how they wanted to make the game. OR limitations in the engine/coding.

We play unrealistic fantasy games so im not as bothered by load screens as i used to be....BUT and a big BUT...i sure miss what EQOA for the ps2 did. NO and i mean NO dungeons!!!! They were open world dungeons and games that strive to do that get a +1 out of me. <3

Then our comments are not wasted at all, because you have obviously never played DAOC RvR, if you had, then you would know full well what kind of lag you get when there are more than 20-30 players in the same area.

You and the few others here, are taking our arguements way our of context, and using your examples, from games that DO NOT HAVE LARGE SCALE PVP BATTLES, and applying them to games that do, when the two cannot work together, at least not with todays technology.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

I recall some of the ppl that were bashing the shit out of AOC for being instanced ,every time u go from one area to the next has load screen etc...  are now defending GW2 for being instanced.. How ironic...

Originally posted by deziwright

All people mean by seamless: "Is there a load screen or can you walk from A-Z without it. (minus dungeons)

SO in that regard. yes WoW and Tera are. There is no such thing as a seamless game because everything is being loaded/buffered. So if you are one of the trolls saying no tera and wow are NOT seemless. You are being to literal and wasting ur comments here.

To the OP: Guild Wars 2 sadly seems heavily load screen oriented. It probably does have everything to do with how they wanted to make the game. OR limitations in the engine/coding.

We play unrealistic fantasy games so im not as bothered by load screens as i used to be....BUT and a big BUT...i sure miss what EQOA for the ps2 did. NO and i mean NO dungeons!!!! They were open world dungeons and games that strive to do that get a +1 out of me. <3

Then our comments are not wasted at all, because you have obviously never played DAOC RvR, if you had, then you would know full well what kind of lag you get when there are more than 20-30 players in the same area.

You and the few others here, are taking our arguements way our of context, and using your examples, from games that DO NOT HAVE LARGE SCALE PVP BATTLES, and applying them to games that do, when the two cannot work together, at least not with todays technology.

It is understandable to have a loading screen when you're going into Mist or battleground. But a loading screen between divinity's reach and it's surroundings, I don't understand why.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Don't worry.  Those that see GW2 as some holy-grail of gaming will end up playing it for a few weeks then return back to the comforts of their familiar MMO (namely, WoW) after realization sets in that nothing can replace their darling of an MMO.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by Xasapis

Sorry, but the "textures are high" excuse doesn't fly when you have games like Tera and Archage coming out and blow graphics wise any other game out of the water while having a seamless world.

I'm more willing to forgive a company that due to the subscription model relies on less server farms to keep players happy than the excuse that high graphics and seamless worlds can't be done. It can be done, two companies at least already done it (I could add Blade and Soul from NCsoft to the list) and they actually run smoother than some medium graphics quality AAA MMOs out there.

I really like the features that TERA and ArchAge are going for, but...

Neither TERA or Archage is seemless, and they both are not offering large scale PvP battles. Anyone who has done large scale PvP battles knows, that high textures and other graphic enhancments, create lots of lag.

Until the technology gets better, we cannot have both large scale player battles with all the fluff, something has to give. Its also very interesting that we are not hearing these complaints from PvPers, but from mostly PvE players, when GW2 has always been advertised as a PvP game.

I find that very odd.

Tera, from personal experience, is seamless all right. And if all the videos of aerial and naval travel are any indication, Archage is seamless as well. I am also not so sure about the big battles. I've seen footage of archage siege warfare, so that's big. I don't believe I've seen something similar from Tera, but they run on the same engine, so I doubt that it can't be done.

In any case, I believe you missed my points entirely. What I was trying to say is:

• High graphics and detailed seamless worlds are possible.

• I'm ok with GW2 having zoned areas, considering the purchase model they follow.

Originally posted by tazarconan

I recall some of the ppl that were bashing the shit out of AOC for being instanced ,every time u go from one area to the next has load screen etc...  are now defending GW2 for being instanced.. How ironic...

Are you paying a subscription for GW2:

• Yes?

• No?

If no, wouldn't you be a bit laxer regarding certain features from a game that is milking you every month to maintain the servers?

Originally posted by cinos

Originally posted by nomss

Originally posted by shane1090

Why is everyone comparing GW2 to WOW for a seamless world? They are two completely different games. One was made many many many years ago, the other is brand new.

Look at how much difference in graphics quality there is - in WOW, textures are low, models are low poloygons. Now compare that with GW2 - textures are higher, models have more polys in them. It's always going to be easier to make a seamless world in WOW if (and i'm using this as an example) to switch zones it has to load say 50MB worth of data, compared to GW2 which might have to load 200-300MB of data with the larger textures and quality models in connection with also the number of people in said zones as well that it needs to account for and load in. It's just a design choice by the developers.

Final Fantasy XIV developers came out and said that to make their zones which are amazingly detailed in terms of textures that they had to 'Copy and Paste' the terrain to make the world seamless. They have now admitted that this was not the way to go as it meant the zones were repetitive and dull, so they are now switching to zoned off areas to make the zones more detailed and varied. This is due to the graphics they are using.

Reading through the recent previews from the press and also getting to play it at Eurogamer, the zones are MASSIVE already, so typically were not going to see the loading screens too often anyway. And who cares if i see a loading screen for 5-10 seconds? 

So stop comparing the game to WOW - it wasn't the first or last MMO created. GW2 is trying to be different! I would rather they spent the time trying to make a 'seamless' world and put that into adding content and refining what they already have.

Besides, if they did have seamless worlds you would only have all the trolls here saying "OMG WOW clone - they have seamless worlds like WOW"!!

FFXIV did it, and I am pretty sure FFXIV's polycount is going to be bigger than GW2. So we're back to square 1, you don't have to bring in WoW, you can just bring in FFXIV.

Though I am not sure how seamless FFXIV really is, I did not play it much.

Just want to point out that the FFXIV devs actually said that the only way they could get their world to be seamless was by copying resources. According to them that's why large chunks of the maps are copy/pasted all over the place.

If that is the price for a seamless world like the way FFXIV did it then I'm glad Arenanet chose zones.

From what I've heard, Tera would likely have been a better example though.

There, yep, so why didn't ANet do? Plus I think GW2's and Tera's graphics (Poly count) should be close, actually Tera might still out way GW2.

Where?

LOL?

I'm interested in where Adalwulff heard this too.

Especially considering that they didn't even start showing pvp until Gamescom last year.

So, you guys are saying that GW2 was shown as a Raiders game, like WoW? Show me where?

GW1 and GW2 were both built around PvP mechanics, not PvE. Most MMO's of late were built the other way around, with PvP being added last because of player demand, WoW included. Yes, there was a time when WoW had no BG's.

So your telling me, either you didnt know GW1 and 2 were built around PvP mechanics, or you think that isnt important. Which is it?

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Originally posted by arctarus

Originally posted by Malevil

Year 2012AD, seems like new genre of mmo is offering lesser and lesser contents, smaller and smaller world compare to games being release last time.

I will probably never cease to be amazed by things ppl are able to pull out of their ass and gz you  amazed me again.

1) world in gw is by all reports from press beta HUGE

2) seamless world is not content, preloading world instead of using loading screens adds exactly ZERO content. Yes its nice immersion thing to not have loading screens but thats it.

I wonder if all ppl for who loading screen is such gamebreaker, better not use fast travel in other games, becouse of loading screens they get.

Contents as in player housing etc...

and.please, barren size zone is anything but huge.

im not saying gw2 sux, just a trend I notice for most mmo . Different players have different things that will make or break for them which from another player pov is nothing. But that doesn't make their view invalid.

Actually, a players view can be invalid, when they forget common sense/logic, and the kind of game thier talking about.

The barrens is huge, its also kind of empty. If you put 200+ players there, the lag will crash even high-end systems. Now, since GW2 is PvP based, with large scale battles and sieges, your going to have the problem with lag.

So, why would any game dev in thier right mind, create a game with one gigantic, seamless world, with 1000's of players battleing it out, and on top of all that, you want immersion, and content flowing all around you. In a word, IMPOSSIBLE!

Its no accident, that single player games, like Skrym, are beautifull to look at, and rich with content, the reason is simple, there arent 1000 other players there creating laggg.

For your info.there's no open world pvp in gw2, all the pvp happens in instances battleground. So will 100 vs 100 lag? Maybe? But it won't affect the rest of the world.

so isit.possible to have a huge seamless world, YES!

RIP Orc Choppa

• ExilorExilor Member Posts: 391

Where?

LOL?

Especially considering that they didn't even start showing pvp until Gamescom last year.

So, you guys are saying that GW2 was shown as a Raiders game, like WoW? Show me where?

GW1 and GW2 were both built around PvP mechanics, not PvE. Most MMO's of late were built the other way around, with PvP being added last because of player demand, WoW included. Yes, there was a time when WoW had no BG's.

So your telling me, either you didnt know GW1 and 2 were built around PvP mechanics, or you think that isnt important. Which is it?

I'm not saying such things. I just asked a question.

Sorry, but the "textures are high" excuse doesn't fly when you have games like Tera and Archage coming out and blow graphics wise any other game out of the water while having a seamless world.

I'm more willing to forgive a company that due to the subscription model relies on less server farms to keep players happy than the excuse that high graphics and seamless worlds can't be done. It can be done, two companies at least already done it (I could add Blade and Soul from NCsoft to the list) and they actually run smoother than some medium graphics quality AAA MMOs out there.

I really like the features that TERA and ArchAge are going for, but...

Neither TERA or Archage is seemless, and they both are not offering large scale PvP battles. Anyone who has done large scale PvP battles knows, that high textures and other graphic enhancments, create lots of lag.

Until the technology gets better, we cannot have both large scale player battles with all the fluff, something has to give. Its also very interesting that we are not hearing these complaints from PvPers, but from mostly PvE players, when GW2 has always been advertised as a PvP game.

I find that very odd.

Tera, from personal experience, is seamless all right. And if all the videos of aerial and naval travel are any indication, Archage is seamless as well. I am also not so sure about the big battles. I've seen footage of archage siege warfare, so that's big. I don't believe I've seen something similar from Tera, but they run on the same engine, so I doubt that it can't be done.

In any case, I believe you missed my points entirely. What I was trying to say is:

• High graphics and detailed seamless worlds are possible.

• I'm ok with GW2 having zoned areas, considering the purchase model they follow.

Yes, high graphics and detailed seamless worlds are possible, and useless in a large scale PvP game, because it causes a great amount of lag, and all the fluff gets lost when your too busy fighting. Every PvPer I know is ok with this, it seems to only be upsetting PvE players, like you.

Every single game on the market has zoned areas, so I dont understand your point, but I guess if your ok with the purchase model, I can sleep better tonight.

• crewthiefcrewthief Member Posts: 235

Originally posted by grimal

Don't worry.  Those that see GW2 as some holy-grail of gaming will end up playing it for a few weeks then return back to the comforts of their familiar MMO (namely, WoW) after realization sets in that nothing can replace their darling of an MMO.

Actually, not sure anyone thinks it's the 'holy grail' of MMOs. It's different. In fact, it's different enough that it doesn't have to compete with WoW.

Sorroe, Human Mesmer
    Jade Quarry Server

Year 2012AD, seems like new genre of mmo is offering lesser and lesser contents, smaller and smaller world compare to games being release last time.

I will probably never cease to be amazed by things ppl are able to pull out of their ass and gz you  amazed me again.

2) seamless world is not content, preloading world instead of using loading screens adds exactly ZERO content. Yes its nice immersion thing to not have loading screens but thats it.

I wonder if all ppl for who loading screen is such gamebreaker, better not use fast travel in other games, becouse of loading screens they get.

im not saying gw2 sux, just a trend I notice for most mmo . Different players have different things that will make or break for them which from another player pov is nothing. But that doesn't make their view invalid.

Actually, a players view can be invalid, when they forget common sense/logic, and the kind of game thier talking about.

The barrens is huge, its also kind of empty. If you put 200+ players there, the lag will crash even high-end systems. Now, since GW2 is PvP based, with large scale battles and sieges, your going to have the problem with lag.

So, why would any game dev in thier right mind, create a game with one gigantic, seamless world, with 1000's of players battleing it out, and on top of all that, you want immersion, and content flowing all around you. In a word, IMPOSSIBLE!

Its no accident, that single player games, like Skrym, are beautifull to look at, and rich with content, the reason is simple, there arent 1000 other players there creating laggg.

For your info.there's no open world pvp in gw2, all the pvp happens in instances battleground. So will 100 vs 100 lag? Maybe? But it won't affect the rest of the world.

Another clueless WoW player harrasing others looking for something better.

Your talking about one small part of GW2's PvP, the WvWvW zone is huge, not a battleground, and it holds more than 100 vs 100.

Not even a good try, you obviously havent read a single think about the game...lol

I actually enjoy both aspects, although I tend to spend more time PvPing than PvEing. In any case, regarding GW2 this is a mute point, since PvP will happen in a specific zone, isolated from the rest of the world. So in this case this is not a PvP anywhere game (like Tera or Archage) but PvP on specific zone. Which again I'm fine with it, considering that they are merging population from three separate servers to achieve that.

Where?

LOL?

I'm not saying such things. I just asked a question.

You are not "just asking a question"...lol

You are demanding proof, that GW2 is not built around PvP, when you cannot prove otherwise. And, you wont be able too either, because there is none.

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

GW2 PvP is mostly instanced, I don't get why it could not have a seemless world.

WoW had a seemless world at release when it was ment to be ran on computers from that time so that excuse is not a good one.

I'm liking how GW2 is looking the seemless world thing does not realy bother me personaly but I don't understand why its not seemless.

• AlarahsAlarahs Member Posts: 5

Where?

LOL?

Guild Wars wasn't built around PvP, it was designed to accommodate both PvP and PvE style play.  Arenanet is doing the same thing with Guild Wars 2.  Both games really do have a bit of a split personallity.  Within Guild Wars you can play exclusively PvE and have a full featured game without a lot of exposure to PvP (a bit, here and there, but not a lot of exposure).  You can also play exclusively PvP and not feel that you have only part of a game.  I'm going to guess that Guild Wars 2 will be quite similar in this way.

Note:  Guild Wars did get the reputation of being a PvP game, which is not the same as being designed as a PvP game. This reputation came after the initial release, and was supported by Arenanet through several e-sport type events.  I remember it well.  As bad as I am at PvP, I took part in one of the early events.  It was fun, but I did feel sorry for my team mates!

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

u

Another clueless WoW player harrasing others looking for something better.

Your talking about one small part of GW2's PvP, the WvWvW zone is huge, not a battleground, and it holds more than 100 vs 100.

Not even a good try, you obviously havent read a single think about the game...lol

Did you read? The WvWvW happens inside a ZONE world! Is not out in the open world, it will not affect anything put in the " real "world even if it lags.

so what if its huge? It is still zone, instance. So why can't there have a seamless world outside of your precious instances pvp battleground?

Btw you ate the 1 who say gw2 is pvp base, but you have change your tone. I winder why ...

RIP Orc Choppa

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

I wonder, do some of you play other games aswell, like non-mmo games. The majority of them have loading screens and some of the best are very immersive. I don't find no seamless worlds problematic, in fact, I don't care that much from a personal perspective. From a technical perspective I'd agree to rate GW2 somewhat down, because mostly seamless worlds have been there for ages. But does it make the game less fun? Does it hinder your progress in any way? Do you think you will miss something because you had to load the zone first?

Tbh, I don't mind seams or no seams between zones, what I mind is the actual number of players for each zone or the maximum count of it. I want to play with other people in the zone. I played GW1 for 7 years, I've seen instancing, cherished its flaws and its advantages a lot. I am pretty glad that GW2 still has instancing where it makes sense, but I also want to be able to run into people, play with them for a short while and then go separate ways.

The last point is the most important thing in an mmo(rpg). It doesn't matter if your fun seems to be interupted for a short period of time due to a zone transition, what matters is that you can find other people in the world.

I actually enjoy both aspects, although I tend to spend more time PvPing than PvEing. In any case, regarding GW2 this is a mute point, since PvP will happen in a specific zone, isolated from the rest of the world. So in this case this is not a PvP anywhere game (like Tera or Archage) but PvP on specific zone. Which again I'm fine with it, considering that they are merging population from three separate servers to achieve that.

Now you just sound desperate.

Anet is not "merging" anything, they are basing the PvP on the DAOC model, using 3 servers instead of 3 factions. The WvWvW map is huge with multiple points to control, the terrain also has points of control.

And, thier is no isolation, you can move between PvE and PvP worlds, and there will be benifits for the PvE world from acheivements made in the PvP world, so they are very much connected.

Its about server pride, not your lust for the some shiney set of armor, where you then sit in ogrimar so everyone can see how cool you look.