Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: A New Breed of MMORPG?

12346»

Comments

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

Hype vs. Excitement. the GW2 love is completely rational.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

GW 2 does alot of things right. No sub fee, PvP centered with 3-way factions and dynamic class system in the sense that one class can spec. in various different ways depending on the weapon you use.

However it is still fundamentally a linear ThemePark where you will be funnelled from quest hub to quest hub and that living breathing world feeling, which UO had, simply wont exist. 

So GW 2, as great as it seems, is fundamentally yet another ThemePark.

The moment where a company manages to recreate a game like Skyrim as an MMORPG, then we can talk about a new breed of MMORPGs...

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by fony

Seeing the extremely onesided posting of some people, I'd say that statements like this are a joke as well as a lie. Claiming that all GW2 hype is 100% based on rationale, is daydreaming by default and as unrealistic as any other statement like that -_-
  • SilverbranchSilverbranch Member UncommonPosts: 195

Originally posted by Yamota

GW 2 does alot of things right. No sub fee, PvP centered with 3-way factions and dynamic class system in the sense that one class can spec. in various different ways depending on the weapon you use.

However it is still fundamentally a linear ThemePark where you will be funnelled from quest hub to quest hub and that living breathing world feeling, which UO had, simply wont exist. 

So GW 2, as great as it seems, is fundamentally yet another ThemePark.

The moment where a company manages to recreate a game like Skyrim as an MMORPG, then we can talk about a new breed of MMORPGs...

Ummm, what attributes in UO caused that construct to operate like a "living, breathing world"?

Wherever you go, there you are.

• SilverbranchSilverbranch Member UncommonPosts: 195

Originally posted by smh_alot

Originally posted by fony

Seeing the extremely onesided posting of some people, I'd say that statements like this are a joke as well as a lie. Claiming that all GW2 hype is 100% based on rationale, is daydreaming by default and as unrealistic as any other statement like that -_-

I suppose this would depend on how you actually DEFINE "hype". 

Most people don't think that through, instead going with some kind of not-thought-through emotional reaction of "Oh, I don't find that feature great, but the other guys does, but because I don't find it great but they said it was means it was just Hype".

It's not Hype to be really excited about something, shout it out, and say wow I like this, and find some people aren't as excited about it as you even if some are.

It is "hype" in my mind if something is described in an overblown manner that either really doesn't exist, or is flat out misdirective/innaccurrate.

Here's an example from my gaming experience:

When AoC was nearing release, there was a game trailer with STUNNING graphics and landscapes.  During the dialog in that game trailer the announcer stated " . . . a living, breathing World . . .".

Complete and total HYPE.  That line was thrown in to the trailer to tweak the automatic reactions of a viewer enthralled with the beautiful vistas on display.  Nice Graphics =/= a "living, breathing World", it's just nice graphics (fair enough).

There was no "living, breathing World" attributes in AoC.  It was standard MMO landscape, NPC, town, and quest-hub fare.  No dynamic ecology changes, no structure building or landscape changes possible by players, etc.

So, what we must all realize is "Hype" isn't a label that automatically can be applied, rightfully, just because feature A really isn't to our liking . . . but others do like it.  The REAL QUESTION is does the feature actually exist in the game or not.

Because if it was advertised as existing, in an excited manner or not, and the feature in fact does exist in the game, I'd be inclined to NOT class it as having been subjected to "hype" pre-release even if I didn't find it wowzer.

To me "Oh, it was just Hype!" implies an absence of something that was claimed to exist, as illustrated in my AoC example.

What I seem to be hearing from people that have had their hands on GW2 beta time is stuff claimed to be in the game is.

Which is what might have prompted someone to claim GW2 hype is based on "rationale".

Wherever you go, there you are.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883
    It's another MMO ill try and see if I enjoy or not, never understood all this game hyping...if a game us good it'll attract players by word of mouth just like warcraft did.
    I have yet to call any game a masterpiece so I guess I don't understand that thinking, but I have enjoyed most games I have ever played.
    I do have my game wishlists but I don't freak out because a game doesn't have everything I want, I just enjoy it for what it is.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,130

Originally posted by Pivotelite

It already happened to me, I heard so much about it without looking into it much thanks to the hype, graphics are the best, combat is so amazing, world is massive, everything about this game is better than every other game.

NDA is lifted and I watch some videos, particularly the ones on this site, lets just say I was more than dissapointed.

So are you disappointed with the Video? or the Game itself?

So the game has been hyped like no ones business, but who can blame communities for doing that? we're taking about Guild Wars here, not another run-of-the-mill game, the hype is only this massive because of the previous games amazing success, it's an IP worthy of the hype surrounding it.

Worse comes to worse, we'll be a little disappointing because our expectations are just that high for something different and extraordinary, but i can guarantee i will enjoy this game more then any other that is currently available.

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013