Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overflow servers, bye bye Que

124»

Comments

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by fundayz

Originally posted by nomss

Originally posted by ProfRed

From;

Martin Kerstein

ArenaNet

I see some of you concentrate on the really important stuff.

Let me explain what an overflow server is and what it does. It is a technology we also use as our version of a queuing system. When a map or a world you want to log into is at capacity limit, the game will ask you if you want to play on an overflow server - so you can actually play while you are in a queue. Once space opens on your world, the game will ask you if you want to join your friends on your world. And you keep all the progress you made while you were playing on the overflow server.

From : http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1128627&postcount=346

These guys really seem to look at problems that plague most games and come up with pretty cool solutions. 

This is what TOR does and it really sux....

No, it is not what it SWTOR does. Do people not know how to read?

In GW2:

1. You try to log in, but server is full.

2. You have the option of playing on a temporary server until you can join your normal server.

3. Once you are in the normal server, there is only 1 copy of the world.

In SWTOR:

2. You wait in queue until you get in.

3. Once in, each zone has multiple copies.  <---- THIS is what is wrong with SWTOR and DOES NOT occur in GW2.

Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing, use it.

but the quote says - when a world or map you want to log into if full.  it doesnt say server.  there definintion of an overflow server is a world or map. that is why some people are concerned. it sounds like word play.

I've got the straight edge.

• MonorojoMonorojo Member UncommonPosts: 411

There is a real possibility that this will make the wait to go onto your actual server longer than if you just had to queue up and wait..

Originally posted by Monorojo

There is a real possibility that this will make the wait to go onto your actual server longer than if you just had to queue up and wait..

i was also wondering how the AH and mail would function if it is a completely different server. would i just be SOL til the Q was over?

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Originally posted by brody71

i was also wondering how the AH and mail would function if it is a completely different server. would i just be SOL til the Q was over?

Typically mail and AH are services seperate from actual game servers. I believe they just keep track of what server your character is located on. Same thing for chat actually, I think. I remember in SWG you could actually sent messages to players on other servers with the proper syntax.

So it shouldn't even be a big deal if done properly really.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by fundayz

Originally posted by nomss

From;

Martin Kerstein

ArenaNet

Let me explain what an overflow server is and what it does. It is a technology we also use as our version of a queuing system. When a map or a world you want to log into is at capacity limit, the game will ask you if you want to play on an overflow server - so you can actually play while you are in a queue. Once space opens on your world, the game will ask you if you want to join your friends on your world. And you keep all the progress you made while you were playing on the overflow server.

These guys really seem to look at problems that plague most games and come up with pretty cool solutions. 

This is what TOR does and it really sux....

No, it is not what it SWTOR does. Do people not know how to read?

In GW2:

2. You have the option of playing on a temporary server until you can join your normal server.

3. Once you are in the normal server, there is only 1 copy of the world.

In SWTOR:

2. You wait in queue until you get in.

3. Once in, each zone has multiple copies.  <---- THIS is what is wrong with SWTOR and DOES NOT occur in GW2.

Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing, use it.

but the quote says - when a world or map you want to log into if full.  it doesnt say server.  there definintion of an overflow server is a world or map. that is why some people are concerned. it sounds like word play.

In Tor it's instanced no matter what, and when your queue you have to wait.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Finally a good and acceptable solution to server queues! I really like it, it's way better than not playing at all because you're stuck in a huge queue which takes for min 30 mins to let you in game so you can play. Awesome idea and I support it all the way. I'm sure they'll perfect it as we progress with the game. 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

The AH (or marketplace as they call it) is universal across all servers (i.e. one AH for the entire game) and I imagine this includes overflow servers. I don't see why mail and chat couldn't be the same; e.g. /w ServerName.CharacterName, or it could even just default to look for players of the given name on your normal server.

Hopefully ArenaNet use this tech to their advantage and don't open up too many servers at launch (one of the biggest things to kill WAR IMO). This combined with server transfers and GW2 should end up with one of the most balanced server loads of any MMO.

• steeler989steeler989 Member UncommonPosts: 665

THAT IS AWESOME!!!

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

I actually misunderstood this. I thought it was if you tried to go into a zone and it was full, then you went into instance like many mmos. but its for the entire server being full at launch, I guess its pretty cool then!

My blog: image

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

From;

Martin Kerstein

ArenaNet

Freakin awesome thanks for posting that i didn't know that! WOOT one more innovation for GW2 and a big one at that!

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

I would prefer having an instance to play in until I could join the main server to waiting in a queue unable to play any day. Queues are not going away and this is a nice means to work around them and I hope future MMO's follow suit.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

Originally posted by Consensus

I actually misunderstood this. I thought it was if you tried to go into a zone and it was full, then you went into instance like many mmos. but its for the entire server being full at launch, I guess its pretty cool then!

i think you read it right the first time.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

If transfering between servers is free and easy, and moving to overflow servers the game model almost is like a single server shard where you can move freely.  I wonder what the limitations are.

The only negative I could see is it seperating the community, but it is a model that I enjoy instead of having dying servers and being split apart from the playerbase everyone is together in one game for the most part.

I think these kinds of steps are steps towards games being able to simultaneously hold way more players.   This technology will be in World of Darkness too.  Very cool stuff.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

Originally posted by spankybus

What happens when the overflow server is full?

Damn, beat me to it. I'm sure when it releases those overflow servers will be cranking and crying at the push they'll be getting :)

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

The point of a queue is to suck, so that when a server is full people move off it.

I would support this system if it were only available to people level 5 and above.  Lower than that and they wait in a queue without any game access.

Otherwise, as a couple others have tried to point out, where is the incentive to reroll to a lower pop?  And without that you'll have a few really overcrowded servers and likely a few ghost towns as well. 

There has to be some sort of psychological mechanism to regulate server populations.  No game has figured it out yet.  SWTOR tried draconian methods and failed.  But I think this will likely fail as well.   People will probably spend weeks on overflow servers and then not want to reroll and the tears will flood fhe forums.

People tried to tell Bioware, lock down the servers when they get full.  You didn't get in on time, too bad.  Go somewhere else or you will wait if it's really that important to you to be on THAT server.

Also needs to be maybe XP or gear finding bonuses based on population.  DAoC did this on a realm level, but I think on a server level it would work well to get dumb noobs off of full servers.  Don't know because no one will try it...

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Originally posted by adam_nox

The point of a queue is to suck, so that when a server is full people move off it.

I would support this system if it were only available to people level 5 and above.  Lower than that and they wait in a queue without any game access.

Otherwise, as a couple others have tried to point out, where is the incentive to reroll to a lower pop?  And without that you'll have a few really overcrowded servers and likely a few ghost towns as well. 

There has to be some sort of psychological mechanism to regulate server populations.  No game has figured it out yet.  SWTOR tried draconian methods and failed.  But I think this will likely fail as well.   People will probably spend weeks on overflow servers and then not want to reroll and the tears will flood fhe forums.

People tried to tell Bioware, lock down the servers when they get full.  You didn't get in on time, too bad.  Go somewhere else or you will wait if it's really that important to you to be on THAT server.

Also needs to be maybe XP or gear finding bonuses based on population.  DAoC did this on a realm level, but I think on a server level it would work well to get dumb noobs off of full servers.  Don't know because no one will try it...

You dont have to reroll to any server. Server transfers will be free of charge and can be done at any time with some little restrictions regarding WvWvW. So if a server is full you just change to another and if one is too low you do the same. Simple

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    One thing I'm unsure of. In that quote, does that also applies to zones? Say a zone is filled to the brim, does this mean that where usually you'd be put into a another created instance of that area, now you'll be put into an overflow server?

Besides that, I think it's a pretty good system, and it wouldn't be bad if everyone who's overflow from the same server also end up on the same overflow server instead of spread out over all the overflow servers.
  • fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

http://www.arena.net/blog/mike-ferguson-takes-your-wvw-questions-here-and-on-reddit

The Arenanet blog post is mostly about World vs World, but the part about server transfers seems to inform this discussion.

You will have a home server, where you can participate in World vs. World and this Home Server will determine your WvW granted bonuses/buffs. However, you can also freely visit other servers to participate in PvE there. (If you want to change your Home Server, there will be a small fee and some WvW limitations for a period after the switch).

It then makes sense that an Overflow Server is not some special, gimped server for use only when there are queues. It is probably just a regular server with a lower population where overflow traffic get's sent as people wait on server queues. I would guess that which server is determined based on current population loads.

So, you won't be playing on a ghost server just populated by overflow traffic and you can even visit that server freely in the future if you make new friends.

Great system.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Originally posted by austriacus

Originally posted by adam_nox

You dont have to reroll to any server. Server transfers will be free of charge and can be done at any time with some little restrictions regarding WvWvW. So if a server is full you just change to another and if one is too low you do the same. Simple

something seems... off ... about the whole transfer anytime thing.  But once again, reroll or transfer, where is the incentive to do that?  Still seems like you'd have the same problem with people just playing on the overflow.  Overflow servers may establish more of a community than the real ones.

I don't like the transfer anytime thing myself.  Seems no different than GW1 instancing when put that way.  Bleh whatever.  My gripes no longer matter in regards to this thread topic, so moving on...

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    @Fiontar: Ah, I hadn't thought of that, but that sounds awesome and really practical! This fully utilises the available population space on other servers by designating them temporarily as overflow. That's the best mechanic to deal with this problem that I've heard of so far. Simply brilliant! Thanks for the link, handy info in it :)
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Arenanet creating the future...

These guys just dont stop to make a great game even beter.