Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What did BioWare spend all of their money on?

Comments

• They spent it on vast amounts of leveling content that you skip because you get way too much XP.

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

I heard they bought everyone in BW a lifetime sub to WoW

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Marketing.  And it worked.

I've got the straight edge.

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291

I heard they were partying a lot... big parties with lots of pizza and beer.

• TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

for all the money they sunk into TOR I wish they threw some towards WAR. I got to 34 with my maurader and just had to stop. Too many issues with the game. Maybe I am old-schooled but I never really cared for voice acting in games.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

10% of the cost went into the game the other 90% went into greedy pockets.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

Originally posted by parrotpholk

Voice overs.  Those guys fluent in alien must have cost a ton.  

Anything that makes me laugh in a forum is pure win...thus pure win!

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

Originally posted by quasi_dead

Paying off gaming websites :(

LOL

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

I'm starting to wonder if the reason the games storylines are so very linear are 'because' of the voice acting. We all know by now just how linear the stories are, how there are no consequences to your choices beyond the immediate. That killing seamingly important characters has no affect on your story at all, often the only consequence is a mail you get later from an NPC talking about what happened (which is just so half assed). I really think the stories are like this 'because' of the voice work. I'm sure it doesn't come cheap to get top tier voice actors, dozens of them to do hundreds of lines over the course of months when you include pickups, etc.

Frankly thats my final review of the game. Half-Assed.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Originally posted by Hatewall

Bahahaha - priceless (wish I had thought of that - would have saved my space bar :)

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• Snaylor47Snaylor47 Member Posts: 962

This is like one giant SWTOR hating circle jerk...

This is rather unfair because you don't know how much GW2 cost, and seeing how designing different combat from the MMO standard is rather cheap, you shouldn't point fingure at TOR.

EA/Bioware has most of the actors on contracts so I assume thats were a lot of the money went, but now they don't have to worry about it again come an expantion/content patch.

I mean FFS people.

I don't care about innovation I care about fun.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Snaylor47

This is rather unfair because you don't know how much GW2 cost, and seeing how designing different combat from the MMO standard is rather cheap, you shouldn't point fingure at TOR.

EA/Bioware has most of the actors on contracts so I assume thats were a lot of the money went, but now they don't have to worry about it again come an expantion/content patch.

I mean FFS people.

Doesnt matter how much GW2 costs.  SWTOR had an unprecidented budget but ended up being no better than Rift or any of the other mmos out.  They spent a lot of money and the game does not reflect that.  

Originally posted by marinrider

I mean FFS people.

Doesnt matter how much GW2 costs.  SWTOR had an unprecidented budget but ended up being no better than Rift or any of the other mmos out.  They spent a lot of money and the game does not reflect that.  

Yep - it's not exactly hatred for SWTOR as much as it is huge disappointment for what should (and could) have been a great MMO. It was hard enough enduring the same disappointment with STO but having 2 of my favorite IP's squandered on crap games is hard to take.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

They probuby spent it on George lucas, just keep giving him IPs to ruin so he cant touch ours. sadly they ran out of money.

SWTOR is the example of good ideas and bad execution. the game lands at mediocre, same as my feeling on Gears and Halo TBH. people wouldnt be teasing Bioware about it if they didnt make it a staple of their game. its like somone buying a alienware and braging about it. most people who built their computers laugh at them and say "yeah thats nice, my system is still more powerful and cost a third of what you paid" SWTOR talks about spending millions of dollars and the other companies said, "yeah thats nice, we don't need those budgets to release something at that quality, GL though."

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Originally posted by marinrider

I mean FFS people.

Doesnt matter how much GW2 costs. 

It does according to the OP.

Also as someone else said does the cost of a game really effect your enjoyment? 

WTF does it matter how much they spent? And even if it does you nor I have figure as to what the money went too, hell for all you know they could never have to pay another Voice actor/ess again due to havign them all on contracts, and actually designing the game only cost 100 million while contracts took up the rest.

• hornedtoadhornedtoad Member UncommonPosts: 39

Executive salaries....  Now they are all getting bonuses for selling 2m box copies.

Wait 6 mos and we'll see if they all get fired instead.

Originally posted by echolynfan

Yep - it's not exactly hatred for SWTOR as much as it is huge disappointment for what should (and could) have been a great MMO. 

It wouldn't kill you to put a "IMO" after all of that because the following is what it is.

All I reading here is, "I FUCKING HATE THIS GAME. OH WHAT IT COST X?, GREAT NOW I HAVE SOMETHING ELSE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT!.".

Seriouly what good does it do complaining about it?

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231

Voice acting. instead of using no name talent, they went for bigger hollywood or professional voice actor names and paid through the nose for it. They coulda paid anyone from the internet with talent 10-15 bucks an hour and they would have been happier than a pig in shit, getting paid to do something for a huge gaming company, maybe get noticed. instead for names like Lance Henriksen,  or Johnny Yong Bosch. Which im sure command a much higher salary than 10-15 an hour. This is only my educated guess but I have a strong gut feeling VO is where the money went, and....It was a bad call Ripley, it was a bad call.

Originally posted by Saryhl

Voice acting. instead of using no name talent, they went for bigger hollywood or professional voice actor names and paid through the nose for it. 

Name 10.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Yep - it's not exactly hatred for SWTOR as much as it is huge disappointment for what should (and could) have been a great MMO. 

It wouldn't kill you to put a "IMO" after all of that because the following is what it is.

All I reading here is, "I FUCKING HATE THIS GAME. OH WHAT IT COST X?, GREAT NOW I HAVE SOMETHING ELSE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT!.".

game forums have always been more of a place to vent dislikes, issues, problems, whatever. When a game with as much hype surrounding this one with such a big IP it's really no suprise people want to vent their frustrations with the game. It's not often a IP such as star wars gets the MMO treatment and for it to be such a huge failure to many you can't blame them..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• msaurondonmsaurondon Member Posts: 18

Look it up yourself.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1320395/fullcredits#cast

You have a wide variety of Actors and Actresses from Jericho and Psych out to General Hospital and many of those who are professional video game/animations voice actors.

Well...since there's no way to scientifically prove my point - it's only an opinion and doesn't need to be pointed out - in my opinion.

My therapist told me it's good for me to complain on MMORPG about SWTOR - that's why I do it :)

Originally posted by Aerowyn

game forums have always been more of a place to vent dislikes, issues, problems, whatever. When a game with as much hype surrounding this one with such a big IP it's really no suprise people want to vent their frustrations with the game. It's not often a IP such as star wars gets the MMO treatment and for it to be such a huge failure to many you can't blame them..

Yep what a failure...

Lets see what other games are failures according to MMORPG.com forum users logic that if people on the internet hate it then everyone must.

WoW:Cata-3 Million copies

COD:MW3-13.3 Million copies

SWTOR-2.15 Million Copies sold

What a bunch of failures...

Well...since there's no way to scientifically prove my point - it's only an opinion and doesn't need to be pointed out - in my opinion.

My therapist told me it's good for me to complain on MMORPG about SWTOR - that's why I do it :)

Hating a video game this much can't be good for you.

I assume you're then going to tell me, "Well being a fanboy can't be good for you yada yada yada.".

Unsubbed to TOR a week ago and my sub is running out today, I have no plans on returning anytime soon. Now I spent my time trying to hammer a little logic onto these forums.

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231

Originally posted by Saryhl

Voice acting. instead of using no name talent, they went for bigger hollywood or professional voice actor names and paid through the nose for it. 

Name 10.

Lance Henriksen, Johnny Yong Bosch, Grey Delisle, Tara Strong, Laura Bailey, Nolan North, Rachael Leigh Cook, Edward Hibbert, Ali Hillis, D.C. Douglas. I normally dont get goaded into doing something like this, but if you go and check out IMDB, you will see every voice actor/actress they have, and a list of all of each persons work. Works that span many years labeling them as well known professionals in their trades. To me the only thing that could have cost more than VO was as someone else stated, the License from George Lucas. However as i stated before VO is my Educated guess, and gut feeling.