Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What did BioWare spend all of their money on?

14567810»

Comments

• Snaylor47Snaylor47 Member Posts: 962

Originally posted by Alders

Originally posted by Snaylor47

Originally posted by gervaise1

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Compared to every MMO that has releaed since WoW TOR is doing far better then all of them. Or do you doubt that?

Too early to tell.  Rift blows TOR out of the water content wise and game mechanics wise.

Scale while TOR is much grander.

Also game mechanics? There the exact same thing, one has Story the other public quest called RIFTS

I don't care about innovation I care about fun.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Compared to every MMO that has releaed since WoW TOR is doing far better then all of them. Or do you doubt that?

Too early to tell.  Rift blows TOR out of the water content wise and game mechanics wise.

Also game mechanics? There the exact same thing, one has Story the other public quest called RIFTS

Rift has a much better class system IMHO and adding in the support souls helps alleviate the boring holy trinity system. Also the amount of options you have in rifts soul system is really a high point in the game.. I literally changed my build every 5 levels or so and its almost like playing a whole new class depending on what souls you take.. to bad the rest of the game is pretty bland to me much like TOR... Rift has also much better grouping options with their open group system like warhammer used and a much better LFG/LFD tools as well. Not to mention a great UI customizer that was there at launch and much better options for guilds.

MMO wise i feel Rift is a much superior game in almost every way.. only things I feel TOR has going for it is it's star wars and biowares single player story telling

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• clbembryclbembry Member Posts: 94

They could have spent 15$ total on SWToR and the game would still be an epic dissappointment.

• xion12121xion12121 Member UncommonPosts: 199

They spent all the money to EA executives for BonuS!!!! HMMMM

I would give you a guest pass to SWOTR, but then I wouldn't be able to find a way to live with myself afterwards....

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Originally posted by echolynfan

Well...since there's no way to scientifically prove my point - it's only an opinion and doesn't need to be pointed out - in my opinion.

My therapist told me it's good for me to complain on MMORPG about SWTOR - that's why I do it :)

Hating a video game this much can't be good for you.

I assume you're then going to tell me, "Well being a fanboy can't be good for you yada yada yada.".

Unsubbed to TOR a week ago and my sub is running out today, I have no plans on returning anytime soon. Now I spent my time trying to hammer a little logic onto these forums.

The irony is - I used to be a huge SWTOR fanboy and initially defended the game against attacks on these forums very early on - and then I actually played the game and got to 50 and realized I had been screwed.

Fact is - I don't "hate" the game - I'm more upset that the IP was squandered on a bad 2004-like release. I wasn't looking for the 2nd coming of SWG but I was expecting MUCH MORE for the millions spent.

I'm not alone - and this will become more evident as the months go by.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Well...since there's no way to scientifically prove my point - it's only an opinion and doesn't need to be pointed out - in my opinion.

My therapist told me it's good for me to complain on MMORPG about SWTOR - that's why I do it :)

Hating a video game this much can't be good for you.

I assume you're then going to tell me, "Well being a fanboy can't be good for you yada yada yada.".

Unsubbed to TOR a week ago and my sub is running out today, I have no plans on returning anytime soon. Now I spent my time trying to hammer a little logic onto these forums.

The irony is - I used to be a huge SWTOR fanboy and initially defended the game against attacks on these forums very early on - and then I actually played the game and got to 50 and realized I had been screwed.

Fact is - I don't "hate" the game - I'm more upset that the IP was squandered on a bad 2004-like release. I wasn't looking for the 2nd coming of SWG but I was expecting MUCH MORE for the millions spent.

I'm glad you saw the light, 1,699,999 to go. I kid who knows what the real numbers are because here it is almost march and we haven't heard anything from them since the beginning of Feb you know right before the Director of Finances quits after he gave us the statement of 1.7 active subs. I'm not kidding. He actually did leave right after that. And then there were the three Devs that left and then the lead writer leaves. Sounds suspicious to me.

Don't get me wrong i don't want them to fail but i've had pleanty enough experience with Blizzard to know when they are hiding something.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Looks like EA stock prices are headed the same way as server populations.

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/ea/interactive-chart?timeframe=3m&charttype=mountain

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by itgrowls

I'm glad you saw the light, 1,699,999 to go. I kid who knows what the real numbers are because here it is almost march and we haven't heard anything from them since the beginning of Feb you know right before the Director of Finances quits after he gave us the statement of 1.7 active subs. I'm not kidding. He actually did leave right after that. And then there were the three Devs that left and then the lead writer leaves. Sounds suspicious to me.
    Don't get me wrong i don't want them to fail but i've had pleanty enough experience with Blizzard to know when they are hiding something.

Right. How many times exactly do you see other game companies hold their quarterly conference meetings? The one other company among the MMO companies that has been as open so far has been Blizzard with their quarterly shareholders/conference meetings... seen them do it every month as you seem to expect? Or other MMO companies publish their figures every month, heck, every quarter of the year? No? But BW should? Right.

Man, the ridiculousness of the claims and assumptions made sometimes on these forums is dumbfounding -_-

As for the rest of your assumptions, I won't even bother to address the paranoia and gleeful conspiracy theorising that it exudes.
  • BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

^this

Don't know why people can't grasp this part. Besides those who spent good money on a bad product, you have people like me who waited 3 years for this game to come out, only to see it all dashed by a WoW like gamestyle. The worst part is, I was upset that EA basically killed any chance of having a bonified SW game for years to come now.

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287

Good question

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by Bunks

^this

Don't know why people can't grasp this part. Besides those who spent good money on a bad product, you have people like me who waited 3 years for this game to come out, only to see it all dashed by a WoW like gamestyle. The worst part is, I was upset that EA basically killed any chance of having a bonified SW game for years to come now.

agreed as well,  if this was any other game I would have just wrote it off and not looked back.. but I have been a star wars fan since i was 5 years old and an online gamer since I was about 13. I had some fun in SWG but with the budget and company behind this one I just feel let down as a MMO fan and mostly as a star wars fan...may never see a decent online star wars again in my lifetime.. who knows.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

They spent it on their high earning spin doctors that try convince you that swtor is a good game.

• ReeperReeper Member UncommonPosts: 121

i feel sorry for the Devs that actualy thought they had a real game, the thousands of man hours (years)  developing the game, the Millions of dollars spent to make it happen, , and us poor Saps come in with 60$ and in 3 weeks lvl out and finnish over 90% of all the content.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Swtor makes swg nge look good.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

^this

I agree, I loved Star Wars, and would have loved to play in a real Star Wars universe. The same with Star Trek. Another loved IP that got trashed. I guess the game companies figured the IP would just carry them through ....

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by olepi

^this 

I agree, I loved Star Wars, and would have loved to play in a real Star Wars universe. The same with Star Trek. Another loved IP that got trashed. I guess the game companies figured the IP would just carry them through ....

So what other themepark game can do it any better?  Keep in mind this game is 3 months old.  The problem I am seeing is unrealistic expectations.  After all, if you buy an oak seed, plant it and expect the same shade from it 3 months later that you are getting from an 8 year old tree, then you are doomed to disappointment.  From what I have seen, most of the people that seem to be satisfied with this game, or god forbid even like it, are the ones that did not let themselves have unrealistic expectations.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• NMStudioNMStudio Member Posts: 376

Originally posted by GMan3

Originally posted by olepi

^this 

So what other themepark game can do it any better?  Keep in mind this game is 3 months old.  The problem I am seeing is unrealistic expectations.  After all, if you buy an oak seed, plant it and expect the same shade from it 3 months later that you are getting from an 8 year old tree, then you are doomed to disappointment.  From what I have seen, most of the people that seem to be satisfied with this game, or god forbid even like it, are the ones that did not let themselves have unrealistic expectations.

SWTOR is exactly what BioWare said it would be.  It's exactly what I expected.  There's plenty of room for improvement, but this can be said of any game.  Over the next few months we'll see what direction they are going to take the game via updates, then we'll get more of an idea of what this tree is going to eventually look like. 

• Coltaine00Coltaine00 Member Posts: 52

Snip

You're right, however there are expectations.

You've got the rights to the biggest Sci-Fi franchise that the world has ever known - that alone is going to get you subscriptions / retail sales.  Everything was set up for this franchise to be the 2nd best (by a long shot) MMO on the market - this is where the dissappointment comes into effect.

The question that remains however is going to be what the overall staying power is of the game - from what I've seen, it hasn't a whole lot as the foundation they've decided to build it on (the hero engine) can't do what it is supposed to do and there is an glaring lack of innovation throughout every facet of the game.

As mentioned before, AoC sold a million boxes on release, but now...

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Originally posted by Coltaine00

Snip

Except it isn't doing better until it makes a profit. It has yet to make a dime and at the rate it is losing subs, it may not make a dime ever.

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

Rift has a much better class system IMHO and adding in the support souls helps alleviate the boring holy trinity system. Also the amount of options you have in rifts soul system is really a high point in the game.. I literally changed my build every 5 levels or so and its almost like playing a whole new class depending on what souls you take.. to bad the rest of the game is pretty bland to me much like TOR... Rift has also much better grouping options with their open group system like warhammer used and a much better LFG/LFD tools as well. Not to mention a great UI customizer that was there at launch and much better options for guilds.

MMO wise i feel Rift is a much superior game in almost every way.. only things I feel TOR has going for it is it's star wars and biowares single player story telling

I tried Rift over the past couple of days and it makes SWTOR look ancient. Rift's dynamic systems are pretty spectacular -- though Warhammer has it beat in terms of public questing & grouping systems. Warhammer spoiled me with the RvR system they have in place.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

Originally posted by NagilumSadow

I tried Rift over the past couple of days and it makes SWTOR look ancient. Rift's dynamic systems are pretty spectacular -- though Warhammer has it beat in terms of public questing & grouping systems. Warhammer spoiled me with the RvR system they have in place.

i played rift through beta and a few months after launch. it WAS a really good game back then. now a days its so instant single player centered that i cant play it anymore.

but after playing swtor from beta to the few months its been out i am pretty sure rift is going to be fine lol.

everyone in rift was saying "man cant wait to leave this game for swtor!! its going to blow this game out of the water!"

now almost every single server in swtor is a ghost town... wonder how rift is fairing..

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.