Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best PvP vid I've seen all day.

Comments

• crewthiefcrewthief Member Posts: 235

Originally posted by mrshroom89

He's a clicker i must have missed the good pvp

It was a decent enough fight, but yeah...I noticed that too. Can't help but notice alot of the demos have been clickers and keyboard turners. He also didn't seem to be utilizing his full movement potential with the combination of mouse and keyboard, probably because he was clicking.

Sorroe, Human Mesmer
    Jade Quarry Server

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

Can't wait for this I'm stinging for the open beta... ignore the fanbois guys.. when i read Mcburly say Asain style graphics i just gave on him... moving on great video sooo many more to come im sure ;)

• quasi_deadquasi_dead Member Posts: 84

character designs look mediocre. Combat leaves a lot to be desired. The story to the game just doesnt stand out. I had fun with the original Guild wars but it never really grabbed me. I was thinking I would try the game at least but Im most likely just going to stay with SWTOR and focus on that.

Pokket, is that you? Call me back babez x

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by Kreedz

Originally posted by hikaru77

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Originally posted by Zeroxin

Originally posted by mcburly

eh ....Im just not impressed with this game.

Why not? What's so unimpressive about it?

Dont listen to the SWTOR fanboi.  As quoted from a previous post he seems to think SWTOR is the best MMO in the last 10 years.  Which all I can say is LoL.

Whats he gonan do when 90% of his servers fall apart and are playing the WoW of 2012?

[mod edit]

Here we have an example of someone who has become Jaded with the MMO Genre... It's not his fault though. [mod edit]  the Game Companies have been beating us with their inane treadmills and repetative raids in our sleep... all the while our youth is being eaten away by the monotonous gameplay of today's MMO.

The only way to save him, is by offering him a safe haven to come to in his time of need, that safe haven of course is; Guild Wars 2. But until then, little Johnny who is locked in his room first has to overcome his fears, hop off his treadmill and ask for help... all we need to do is be waiting there, with a copy of Guild Wars 2 in hand.

He will find his way, eventually.

lol kinda a harsh comparasion, but true on what your saying, WoW has drilled so much crap into MMO players minds, that it MUST be how a "good" mmo shoud be... GW2 is blowing that outta the water, soo good to see a company having the balls to change the way MMO's are played/improved

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Originally posted by Zeroxin

eh ....Im just not impressed with this game.

Why not? What's so unimpressive about it?

character designs look mediocre. Combat leaves a lot to be desired. The story to the game just doesnt stand out. I had fun with the original Guild wars but it never really grabbed me. I was thinking I would try the game at least but Im most likely just going to stay with SWTOR and focus on that.

To be honest, if you are quite happy playing a game like SWTOR, it says a lot in regards to the validity of your critism.

SWTOR is a failed experiment, generic to the core, with little redeeming value outside the fact they tried to merge a single player approach within the genre of online rpg. It lacks any meaningful pvp and glorifies the instancing gameplay (empty) while your companions are more often "pets" with names.

EA keeps messing up their mmo attempts and keeps trying to beat WoW at what WoW does best.

That said, I agree with you that some of the character design is not so good, but its not mediocre.  The meshes are well made, textures and UV's well done. It is the shaping and art design I have a problem with in GW2 and only on some characters. The females are consistently good, males not so much. They range from awkwardly large and anatomically incorrect (norn) to walking salads with an identity crisis.

Your comment about combat however lost me completely. Combat in GW2 is one of its strongest points, something SWTOR cant even begin to compare to. The PVP in GW2 has shown to be highly dynamic, well thought out and combat skills based on weaponry, class and race reveal a decently interactive experience, one that grows with the player from start to finish.

As for story, thats silly. First off no one can really comment on the story in GW2 at this point outside of the fact quests are less generic than in SWTOR. Secondly, the player creates the story, their gameplay is part of the narrative. If thats not enough for you, there are better narrative driven mediums out there than online games....example: Movies, books and comics. You have to keep it in the proper perspective.

I get it, the game might not be for you, thats fine but lets use some legit reasoning for not liking a product.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

The map looked very run-of-the-mill and the fights seemed very drawn out compared to how outnumbered one side was at some points.

I didn't see ANYTHING special about it whatsoever, but I suppose if you enjoy long fights of attrition and them being about the numbers rather than skillful play - I suppose it's good.

Originally posted by DKLond

The map looked very run-of-the-mill and the fights seemed very drawn out compared to how outnumbered one side was at some points.

I didn't see ANYTHING special about it whatsoever, but I suppose if you enjoy long fights of attrition and them being about the numbers rather than skillful play - I suppose it's good.

I think most were referring to the 1v1 between the Mesmer and Thief. That map was too large for a 5v5, i'd think it'd be much more well suited as a 10v10 map, in my opinion.

Sorroe, Human Mesmer
    Jade Quarry Server

Originally posted by crewthief

I think most were referring to the 1v1 between the Mesmer and Thief. That map was too large for a 5v5, i'd think it'd be much more well suited as a 10v10 map, in my opinion.

Yeah, that fight was particularly drawn out.

It seemed almost random in terms of the victor.

Personally, I enjoy short fights - with the outcome determined by clever usage of skills. I absolutely HATE drawn-out fights, where last minute rescues by team members is the norm. That kind of thing nullifies personal performance - and makes everything about how many are fighting how many.

Can't be sure, but that's certainly what it looked like from that video.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I on the other hand dislike fights that last less than 5 secs. If I wanted to play an FPS headshotting people, I'd do just that. When an MMO has the attitude of "whoever attacks first wins", then the combat is not very interesting.

• RabbiFangRabbiFang Member Posts: 149

This looks incredible. I've just gone from feeling 'meh' to climbing aboard the excitement train. 

Originally posted by Xasapis

I on the other hand dislike fights that last less than 5 secs. If I wanted to play an FPS headshotting people, I'd do just that. When an MMO has the attitude of "whoever attacks first wins", then the combat is not very interesting.

That's not exactly the only alternative to several minute fights.

It shouldn't be about head-shotting people - but about fast reactions and appropriate usage of skills, regardless of who attacked who. Though, naturally, successfully pulling off an ambush SHOULD give you a tactical advantage.

Personally, I think ~30-60 second fights are ideal.

• EntiochEntioch Member Posts: 49

It shouldn't be about head-shotting people - but about fast reactions and appropriate usage of skills, regardless of who attacked who. Though, naturally, successfully pulling off an ambush SHOULD give you a tactical advantage.

Both classes have the skills necessary to outsmart their opponent, they just didnt take advantage of them.

I.E. the mesmer never switched weapons, nor used a mantra. He exclusively used 3 skills on the greatsword the whole fight.

You can have the most skill based combat in the world, it doesnt show if the people fighting arent at all skilled :P

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Well, it's a bit much to expect advanced tactics and skills from people who played for the first time the game in these beta events.

Originally posted by Entioch

Both classes have the skills necessary to outsmart their opponent, they just didnt take advantage of them.

I.E. the mesmer never switched weapons, nor used a mantra. He exclusively used 3 skills on the greatsword the whole fight.

You can have the most skill based combat in the world, it doesnt show if the people fighting arent at all skilled :P

Sure, but until the game is actually out - or we get a more meaty representation of PvP - I can only speak to what the video is showing me.

If skillful play means fights will be over quickly - then I'm happy.

It's just not what the video is showing.

Also, with such a limited arsenal available pr. weapon setup - it's hard to avoid using the same skills over and over. I hope they don't intend weapon switching to be a vital part of PvP - because that seems rather awkward.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

All these annoying super duper effects are really that  important ? Couldnt tell what was going on during the fight.,,,

Sure, but until the game is actually out - or we get a more meaty representation of PvP - I can only speak to what the video is showing me.

Also, with such a limited arsenal available pr. weapon setup - it's hard to avoid using the same skills over and over. I hope they don't intend weapon switching to be a vital part of PvP - because that seems rather awkward.

the elementalist has 4 attuments and 2 weapon sets = 40 active skills

everyone, at the very least, has 15 skills.

• mmorpgmanermmorpgmaner Member UncommonPosts: 241

I loved the original guild wars... This game looks awesome aswell...

The sad thing is, after playing a game like Darkfall Online, that took player skill in PvP, (FPS/twitch combat) this just looks sooo repetitive to me :/ It kills me to say that, because I'd been waiting for Gw2 since I bought GW!

You have 5 skills locked down to your weapon - and then you have 3 skills that are primarily passive powers that can be activated, sacrificing the passive bonus. Beyond that - you have 1 heal skill and 1 elite skill for rare occasions.

From what I've gathered, most fights boil down to spamming 1-2 skills over and over - with most other skills being relatively situational.

Then again, the beta only allowed up to level 30 stuff. So maybe the full game will have more. But it seems the 5 primary skills tied to weapon is what they intend to be used the most.

I hope I'm wrong, but it really doesn't seem there's too much variety during fights.

Then again, I'm not a "taken in" by the hype. I like to see things for myself before gushing with joy.

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

Think i've played this game before for several years under many different names.

But meh, it's a new shiny shiny, will be good to kill a month. I'm ignoring the vastly deep long-term mechanics obviously.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Sweet.  If this post is a sign of things to come around here though these boards are going to be filled with more drama than a High School prom.  Interesting to read though.

The best thing about Guild Wars being a hybrid MMO is that a huge amount of players aren't MMO drama queens.  Guild Wars 1 was a borderline e-sport with arenas.  It looks like they have stepped them up.  Then they added on a massive WvWvW system that fits so perfectly into this game.  This game looks ridiculously polished and if the PvE story lines and challenges are anything like Guild Wars 1 we will be in for a fun ride. 

I really am excited about this year.  Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2, the Secret World.  All going to shake things up a bit and even if some aren't standard MMO's they will definitely have an impact on this market just like SWTOR failing in the coming months will.  I'd be surprised to see another AAA MMO try to copy WoW.  This may be the turning point for this genre after 10 years of stale ripoffs and clones.

You have 5 skills locked down to your weapon - and then you have 3 skills that are primarily passive powers that can be activated, sacrificing the passive bonus. Beyond that - you have 1 heal skill and 1 elite skill for rare occasions.

From what I've gathered, most fights boil down to spamming 1-2 skills over and over - with most other skills being relatively situational.

Then again, the beta only allowed up to level 30 stuff. So maybe the full game will have more. But it seems the 5 primary skills tied to weapon is what they intend to be used the most.

I hope I'm wrong, but it really doesn't seem there's too much variety during fights.

Then again, I'm not a "taken in" by the hype. I like to see things for myself before gushing with joy.

Once again, I.E. an elementalist has two weapon sets, for 10 skills, and then a skill set for each element per weapon.

5x2x4=40

It boiling down to 1-2 skills is because people have only played the game for a day or two, id imagine a good player would utilize all 15/20/40 skills available to them.

If youd like to compare, in SWTOR my juggernaut had roughly 12ish active low cd abilities that i used frequently.

In rift i had a macro.

so 15-20 seems plenty to me.

Lets just look at this video for example, the mesmer did not use A.) Any of the phantasm shattering abilities (of which there are three i believe, that are not part of the quickbar.) B.He did not use mantras. C. he did not use his second weapon set.

He ignored more than half of his characters skills.

However, Even at a higher level Id still expect most fights to take 1 minute to a minute and a half at least, so this game may not be for you. :/

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

Once again, I.E. an elementalist has two weapon sets, for 10 skills, and then a skill set for each element per weapon.

5x2x4=40

It boiling down to 1-2 skills is because people have only played the game for a day or two, id imagine a good player would utilize all 15/20/40 skills available to them.

If youd like to compare, in SWTOR my juggernaut had roughly 12ish active low cd abilities that i used frequently.

In rift i had a macro.

so 15-20 seems plenty to me.

Lets just look at this video for example, the mesmer did not use A.) Any of the phantasm shattering abilities (of which there are three i believe, that are not part of the quickbar.) B.He did not use mantras. C. he did not use his second weapon set.

He ignored more than half of his characters skills.

However, Even at a higher level Id still expect most fights to take 1 minute to a minute and a half at least, so this game may not be for you. :/

Elementalist only has one weapon set, but they got 4 attunements, so 5+4x5=25 abilities avaiable at any time plus 4 from changing attunements. 29 abiltities.

Just correcting

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by mmorpgmaner

I loved the original guild wars... This game looks awesome aswell...

The sad thing is, after playing a game like Darkfall Online, that took player skill in PvP, (FPS/twitch combat) this just looks sooo repetitive to me :/ It kills me to say that, because I'd been waiting for Gw2 since I bought GW!

If you've played GW1, you'll know how none repetitive the game is and you can trust me when I say that this game will definitely not be repetitive unless some specifically decides to play like that. It's kind of like how DCUO can look like a spam fest but when you get into it, the intricacies of the combat just blow your mind.

This is not a game.

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

I'm not sure what everyone is so impressed by in this game. It looks very similar to the RIFT engine, and the pvp looks dry and uneventful. 

There are like 10 skills to use? Maybe that's just because they are low level, so I hope that changes. Compared to some of the asian mmo's on the horison this game looks dated. 

I can pretty much guarantee that weapon swapping will be vital. The thing about being good at PvP is adapting to the situation at hand and using all tools available to you in order to win, making seamless weapon swaps a must. I suppose at maybe the lower echelons of PvP competition or against bads you may be able to get away with not swapping, but I can assure you that against good PvPers you'll be fucking yourself if you don't.

Sorroe, Human Mesmer
    Jade Quarry Server