Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No raiding?

1234568»

Comments

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by Rivalen

- Large scale dinamic events that are extremely hard and preety much impossible to beat except with alot of coordination.

from the latest post, it seemed like this is what they're aiming for with the meta-events.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

I am more curious why this thread is still progressing, i mean people need to get over the fact that this game might not be fore them and expecting the developers to go against what they have set down as there goals for tha game seems a bit ridiculous.

I thank god i will never have to consider doing raids in this game, not that i even bother with them in the current crop of games but there is always that niggling thought at the back of my head "am i gimping myself by not raiding?" With GW2 i wont have to worry about that silliness anymore.

I think it has been touched upon by several of the posters in this thread what this "No raid" fear is from, and i think its the selfish mentality that has been engrained upon the minds of the WoW/Clones gamers who desire the meme mentality. 

Grouping together, Cooperation, and comraderie have been sorely lacking in the recent years, yes raiding grouped players but it was boiled down into just a way to improve your character not an experience to enjoy. 

A simple example is the cross server dungron and raid Qs that have been recently implemented in the WoW/Clones, look the the fervent call for adding everything from WoW into SWTOR.

Anywho, guess people will expect everything should be the way they want it no matter the costs to others. (i am just as bad but GW2 is my last hope till maybe other devs step up[ and take notice).

Lolipops !

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

This thread is getting useless as fast as threads about words like sandbox. 

It seems to me that certain players are 'programmed' to expect certain specific mechanics from raiding in a MMO. If you forget about this for a second, then raiding just means to combine forces to overcome an enemy. Those annoying sidemechanics are no requirement at all for raiding.

When people say that they dont want raids, they usually mean that they dont want the gear treadmill, lockout timers etc.

Those huge dynamic events that scale to 100 players can be seen as raids too. If you want take down the strongest boss, you will need to combine forces to make that happen aka raiding.

• GudrunixGudrunix Member Posts: 149

Originally posted by Ecoces

Originally posted by atticusbc

if you want a big, tough raid with all your guildies in GW2, then go make a run for another server's orb. can't beat human ingenuity for a challenge!

but but but humans don't have scripts i can follow!

Which is really what it's about - "classic" MMOs cater to the control freak from start to finish.  Every encounter is tightly scripted, every enemy is almost completely predictable, every loot drop comes from a strictly defined loot table, etc., etc.  Even combat is tightly scripted, with relatively few random events like critical strikes and dodges (and even those are unpopular with players, to the point that designers have been more inclined to limit or remove them).

If anything, I would like to see more variability in GW2 - randomized dungeons would be nice, for one (please tell me that at least the traps and puzzles are randomized - having pre-defined traps and puzzles would be utterly pointless, as players would have them figured out in no time flat).  Also, I like the dodging, although it would be great if monsters had more interesting abilities they could use to add more variability to fights.  It would also be interesting to have monsters occasionally have random, surprising abilities - e.g., every once in a while a monster has a special critical strike ability, and so forth.  And I am all for more variability in loot tables, including (heresy!) global drops.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by Gudrunix

Originally posted by Ecoces

Originally posted by atticusbc

but but but humans don't have scripts i can follow!

If anything, I would like to see more variability in GW2 - randomized dungeons would be nice, for one (please tell me that at least the traps and puzzles are randomized - having pre-defined traps and puzzles would be utterly pointless, as players would have them figured out in no time flat). 

umm..... randomly generated anything (except loot and sometimes skin choice) is not going to happen in mmos for a loooong time. the dungeons in GW2 look to be sticking to the usual formula with only small changes. personally i have no problem with this. i've always felt that dungeons are pretty fun if you're just playing. so yeah. that's not happening. but like ecoces said, humans don't have scripts. besides, what's more rewarding: beating a dungeon that has some variables, or chasing down fleeing pcs?

• davestr1zldavestr1zl Member Posts: 218

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Originally posted by echolynfan

Originally posted by select20

I just heard there is no raiding in this game? Is this true? I hope it's not true. I've been looking forward to this game for awhile, and if there is no raiding, I will deffinetly not play.

(I have a feeling some fanbois will flame this thread to hell and back).

Best news I've heard about GW2 so far - raiding SUCKS - most boring game play mechanic ever invented. Someone here posted once that Raiding is "a hamster grind of memorized dance steps" and I so agree.

Not only does it suck but the fact that only 10% of a MMO's population (and thats being embarassingly generous) ever see end game raiding.  Hell I have 2 level 50's in SWTOR now and I havnt been through 6 total dungeons let along a raid, in fact my entire guild in SWTOR has no one which is past social 1 lol.

What does their social level have to do with the amount of raid-like content they see?

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Even though GW2 doesnt sound like the type of game I would like.....

Good for them for changing what themeparks typically do. There are countless other AAA themeparks that have raiding... just go play one of those.

• crewthiefcrewthief Member Posts: 235

Originally posted by Sanctum

Originally posted by select20

I just heard there is no raiding in this game? Is this true? I hope it's not true. I've been looking forward to this game for awhile, and if there is no raiding, I will deffinetly not play.

(I have a feeling some fanbois will flame this thread to hell and back).

Best news I've heard about GW2 so far - raiding SUCKS - most boring game play mechanic ever invented. Someone here posted once that Raiding is "a hamster grind of memorized dance steps" and I so agree.

Why? Half the people who say this shit are bad at PvP and havn't done any competitive PvP in any game. I play every single game with competitive PvP as my main focus, yet I still find raiding to be necessary. Or not even raiding, but a challenging PvE system. Why is that? Because if more people play the game (almost all mmo players are pvers), more people will start PvPing and it will be more active. I also enjoy PvEing every once in a while. Not to mention with little to no gear progression, if you're skilled enough you'll be able to jump into very challenging raids/pve encounters with your friends/guildies.

No need to raid every single week 24/7 to get gear to progress with all your guild. Now you would only have to be skilled enough to be competent enough to raid with your guildies who raid 24/7. It's a system that has so much potential and takes out so much grind out of PvE. So if they implement very hard PvE encounters/5 mans I'll be very happy.

Huh? Most of the people that like to PVP don't raid or do much PVE stuff - what are you smoking?

I've done plenty of competitive PVP on many MMO's and some really hardcore PVP stuff as well. Raiding is just memorizing stuff for gear - BORING. There are so mnay other more interesting aspects of gaming than Raiding or doing the same dungeons over and over and over again.

You also say that you find raiding "necessary" which is very telling since you didn't use the word "fun"

I play games to have fun - not do things that are "necessary" thank you.

^This^

Since when are PvPers into hardcore raiding??? I have also done plenty of PvP in highly competative situations, mostly small group stuff, 6v6 structured...with quite alot of roaming lakes zerg busting, as well. I can say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, i'd much rather be PvPing than grinding some lame ass raid. I will try all of the dungeons and alot of the PvE in GW2, because it seems to be structured so differently from anything else i've seen.

It is SO refreshing that grinding isn't a requirement to participate in PvP. 

Sorroe, Human Mesmer
    Jade Quarry Server

• wrathzillawrathzilla Member UncommonPosts: 76

New meme idea-  forum troll

Title of the post: Why? Because SW:TOR.

"Says GW2 is going to fail...

Plays it anyway"

Using this pic:

http://www.israellycool.com/geek.jpg

Front page of 9gag, Imgur, and reddit in a day, guaranteed.