Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA will only be another (3month) time waster for many people...

FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

People are having the same "HoneyMoon" event all over again with TERA since they're only being given small "tastes" of the game with the CB events.

From an exhausted experience with MMO's I can tell you straight faced that TERA brings nothing new to the table EXCEPT for their combat system, and even THAT gets boring & repetitive after level 20.

Do NOT buy into the hype. TERA is EXACTLY like the WoW-Clone model we keep seeing reused over and over. Go to town A, get all the available quests from there, go kill X number of mobs or get X number of items. Once all quests are done in town A move to town B that is POINTED to by one of the last quests to be given in town A.

Rinse, Repeat, get max level in 2-4weeks, get bored. After 3months of eating ALL the content over & over you'll leave again for the next "Overly Hyped" product.

Trust this from someone who has been there, seen it, done that, and continues to watch as the same crowed makes the SAME mistake over & over only to make forum posts such as: "I'm leaving, heres why...". Unfortunately, we already KNOW why you're leaving before opening your post in our browser. It just took you some time to see what most already saw, and avoided thereby saving them $105 ($60 box + 3 months sub).

Just like SWTOR, Rift, Aion, Alganon, Runes of Magic, Warhammer Online, etc. TERA brings NOTHING new, and continues to same old clone model.

HOWEVER, if you're looking for just another "time waster" for a certain game you've had your eyes on (for me, it's Planetside II at the moment) & $105 isn't much for you to waste go right ahead & love TERA until it turns blue in the face :D!

Just please, STOP with the "TERA is AMAZING, and will win a duel with GW2 every time!" threads. I don't like GW2 any differently than I like TERA, and in fact I've got PLENTY of criticism for GW2 as well. However, this type of self-denial hype will only trick other people into biased hype.

Finally, remember that with ANY product (especially those you WANT to love) a healthy amount of criticism is a GOOD thing.

Thank you for reading,

-Faded

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Comments

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

This concept is not hard

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tera+kr&oq=tera+kr&aq=f&aqi=g2g-s1&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=283l1262l0l1614l7l6l0l1l1l0l193l586l3.2l5l0

See all those videos from Korea. This game is released there. If you got question go through some of those links and see if you like end game.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by Puremallace

This concept is not hard

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tera+kr&oq=tera+kr&aq=f&aqi=g2g-s1&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=283l1262l0l1614l7l6l0l1l1l0l193l586l3.2l5l0

See all those videos from Korea. This game is released there. If you got question go through some of those links and see if you like end game.

Indeed, however MANY "new" people to the MMO scene still haven't learned how to think for themselves in terms of quality & spotting the "preverbial" carrot in a new product. Granted it requires experience with other GOOD titles from the past to spot many of these fakers to the genre (ala: SWTOR), but what's more disturbing is the closed mindedness of many new people who don't want to believe something they "think" they like could be so horribly fake.

It's a personal thing, and I understand the issue, however it only inflates the wallets of horrible companies like EA into producing the same terrible products with GOOD Intellectual properties.

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

is it the games or is it the trend these days. people just seem to skip from the next flavour of the month. 

Glad I have found interest in a older more astablished game. Eve.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

In case of topic:

Which upcoming game do you think will have more active players after 3 months than after 1 month?

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Aren't all games time wasters?

And besides, if it manages to keep me entertained for three months, it'll be a month and a half more than SW:TOR, which is quite the accomplishment I suppose.

Originally posted by coxyroxy

is it the games or is it the trend these days. people just seem to skip from the next flavour of the month. 

Glad I have found interest in a older more astablished game. Eve.

I too have gone back to eve, however I have found it harder to find things to do as I KNOW that the only thing worth doing nowadays is either going on fleet ops with my alliance, or roaming in low-sec to gank poor noobs who don't know any better.

As for your question, I think the willingness to jump from "Game to Game" is more a symptom of the market as a whole. People are TIRED, and ANGRY about Developers whom constantly reuse the WoW-Clone model to make money. Thus, the "hopping" symptoms have been cropping up.

Additionally, this is where the "Free-To-Play" (aka: PayToWin) model sprung from as well. People, quite simply, got tired of being lied to and jipped so they've started ot DEMAND relatively "free" access to the product for an "extended" free trial before paying any money into it.

Originally posted by Herodes

In case of topic:

Which upcoming game do you think will have more active players after 3 months than after 1 month?

I'm being "overly" optimistic, but retaining my sharp criticism for Planetside 2.

GW2 MIGHT have a chance at retaining a large number past 3months, however I've not even tried the game yet beta or otherwise to give a definitive answer.

I'm also keeping my eyes on ArcheAge, The Repopulation, Dominus, and Everquest: Next (EQIII). However, that last one (EQIII) I have little hope for as SOE has COMPLETE directive control over it, and It'll probably be yet ANOTHER WoW-Clone with an EQ skin. Again, no definitive opinions until I get my hands on them.

• ForgefeuForgefeu Member UncommonPosts: 118

I don't get it. I stayed long years on Ultima online, Everquest or Daoc and even on wow and it was fun but i as well stayed on game like Perpetum, DCUO, Swtor, Rift for 1 to 3 months max and it was equally fun, it just didn't get my interesst up to some point but still was fun value.

Game is alway time waste, hell i bought a lot of game i maybe played for 1 week or so and still enjoyed it

I preordered Tera and i am having fun on beta and i plan to play on release maybe for a month or a year or even more, i don't know but it's fun right now and that all that matter.

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712

I get your points, im just wondering why its so important for you to tell people what to think and how to act? 

You seem to be very insistant on knowing more than the rest of the MMO community, your statements are just a rehash of what many have said before.

I really dont get why some people feel the need to come to these forums and tell others what to think.

And as the person above me mentions aswell, games are meant for "wasting time" and honestly, 50 euro, even if I only play for 3 months, is alot cheaper than going out and burning my money on alcohol, or other things.

But just to give my 2 cents on TERA: good combat, amazing graphics, good engine, same old questing, same themepark style content, crafting system reminds me of Aion, which I like. 

Endgame wise, I know there was alot of issues in Korea when it launched, the game is recieving T4 later this quarter, and EU/US is set to launch with that, so that will atleast provide content for the coming months.

Once again, I call our generation the ADHD generation, people's attention span is very short, and patience is not a virtue MMO gamers have much of.

But as I stated at the beginning, dont come in here and presume to tell us what to think and do.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Just curious, so 3 months is a time waster, what about 6 months? 2 Years? 10 years? I personally think any time spent in a computer game is basically a waste, just do it as long as you find it entertaining and when it stops being entertaining stop playing it. Only way for a game to be a total waste of money is when you cant enjoy it at all, and in that case, the player just failed to do his research on the game before purchasing it.

I'm propably going to try out TERA, and if I will, I expect to be entertained for about 2 months. That would be about 1 month longer than any single singleplayer game I've ever played, which would be fine and money well spent. I dont actually even expect to come across another mmorpg ever again that keeps me playing for years, I just dont see it happening with the content priorities every mmo company seem to have these days.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

@OP who cares if it's just a time waster for some people.   it gives people a change of scenery and some different combat to play around with for a while.  

I've got the straight edge.

Originally posted by brody71

@OP who cares if it's just a time waster for some people.   it gives people a change of scenery and some different combat to play around with for a while.  

Everyone SHOULD care.

You don't seem to "get" that what you're doing is giving BIG companies incentives to CONTINUE to make BAD products for "easy" money.

At the end of the day, it MATTERS for everyone. Why do you think SWTOR was such a bad copy of WoW with a StarWars skin? People had that attitude, and it showed EA & Bioware that it was ok to continue making a terrible iteration of WoW for MONEY.

Nothing will change unless the mindset of the genre changes as a whole, NOT just for the developer's side of things.

That is the point. A GOOD quality product shouldn't JUST be a "time waster". DAOC, EQ, SWG Pre-NGE, Ultima Online, NONE of these games were simply looked at as "Time Wasters". Why is it such an "OK" thing to accept mediocre products?

Would you buy a NEW TV if it was EXACTLY like the one you bought 4yrs ago? NO.

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Originally posted by Puremallace

This concept is not hard

Indeed, however MANY "new" people to the MMO scene still haven't learned how to think for themselves in terms of quality & spotting the "preverbial" carrot in a new product. Granted it requires experience with other GOOD titles from the past to spot many of these fakers to the genre (ala: SWTOR), but what's more disturbing is the closed mindedness of many new people who don't want to believe something they "think" they like could be so horribly fake.

It's a personal thing, and I understand the issue, however it only inflates the wallets of horrible companies like EA into producing the same terrible products with GOOD Intellectual properties.

it could be that a "new" generation of gamers likes a game that you dont.  they havent learned to listen to people saying bad things about a game because they have there own opinions about it.  if a guy wants to proclaim tera the next big thing, so what. maybe for him/her it is.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

I'm curious as to why the OP highlights some of his text with light blue.

Let people enjoy what they want.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

Everyone SHOULD care.

You don't seem to "get" that what you're doing is giving BIG companies incentives to CONTINUE to make BAD products for "easy" money.

At the end of the day, it MATTERS for everyone. Why do you think SWTOR was such a bad copy of WoW with a StarWars skin? People had that attitude, and it showed EA & Bioware that it was ok to continue making a terrible iteration of WoW for MONEY.

Nothing will change unless the mindset of the genre changes as a whole, NOT just for the developer's side of things.

That is the point. A GOOD quality product shouldn't JUST be a "time waster". DAOC, EQ, SWG Pre-NGE, Ultima Online, NONE of these games were simply looked at as "Time Wasters". Why is it such an "OK" thing to accept mediocre products?

if i needed a new tv and i liked the one that just got old then i might. yes.

Originally posted by Benthon

I'm curious as to why the OP highlights some of his text with light blue.

Let people enjoy what they want.

I highlight to give emphasis on new lines of thought, or to easily seperate blocks of text for the eyes to withstand. I've noticed people tend to read an ENTIRE post if it's easier for their train of thought to continue where it last finished a line.

That being said, I have no intention of telling people what they can & cannot enjoy. My intentions are to point out the folleys that fall within the MMO genre as a whole in order to TRICK people into thinking a product is something that it isn't. If a salesman tries to tell your best friend the SAME car you bought 6yrs ago as a "new car" for 25% MORE than what you bought it for, would you stay silent? If you were a good friend, you wouldn't let him get scammed.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

People are having the same "HoneyMoon" event all over again with TERA since they're only being given small "tastes" of the game with the CB events.

Most people that are coveting Tera as a good game have been playing it in Korea.

From an exhausted experience with MMO's I can tell you straight faced that TERA brings nothing new to the table EXCEPT for their combat system, and even THAT gets boring & repetitive after level 20.

Except the Server v Server, political system,  GvG and deathmatch systems, BAMs. Bosses that are actually challenging.

Do NOT buy into the hype. TERA is EXACTLY like the WoW-Clone model we keep seeing reused over and over. Go to town A, get all the available quests from there, go kill X number of mobs or get X number of items. Once all quests are done in town A move to town B that is POINTED to by one of the last quests to be given in town A.

Questing is one style of gameplay you can do. You are not forced to quest in Tera, you can jump in a group and go grind BAM's. For people like me this appeals more then doing meaningless quests.

Rinse, Repeat, get max level in 2-4weeks, get bored. After 3months of eating ALL the content over & over you'll leave again for the next "Overly Hyped" product.

Can't tell you the longevity of the product, but with its political system, gvg, deathmatches, and interesting boss mechanics. I think if people look passed the style and can accept the combat system, it would last longer then other products on the market now.

Trust this from someone who has been there, seen it, done that, and continues to watch as the same crowed makes the SAME mistake over & over only to make forum posts such as: "I'm leaving, heres why...". Unfortunately, we already KNOW why you're leaving before opening your post in our browser. It just took you some time to see what most already saw, and avoided thereby saving them $105 ($60 box + 3 months sub).

Most people that end up leaving Tera, are the people that can't cut a difficult experience. There are those that just don't like the style of the game but that is everywhere.

Just like SWTOR, Rift, Aion, Alganon, Runes of Magic, Warhammer Online, etc. TERA brings NOTHING new, and continues to same old clone model.

You said this twice.

HOWEVER, if you're looking for just another "time waster" for a certain game you've had your eyes on (for me, it's Planetside II at the moment) & $105 isn't much for you to waste go right ahead & love TERA until it turns blue in the face :D!

I agree Tera will be a good game hopper for people really waiting out for something else. Its obviously not going to be the game for everyone.

Just please, STOP with the "TERA is AMAZING, and will win a duel with GW2 every time!" threads. I don't like GW2 any differently than I like TERA, and in fact I've got PLENTY of criticism for GW2 as well. However, this type of self-denial hype will only trick other people into biased hype.

No game is without its criticism. Planetside 2 is gonna be F2P and is under a terrible publisher.

Finally, remember that with ANY product (especially those you WANT to love) a healthy amount of criticism is a GOOD thing.

Unfortunately people do not know how to give criticism in healthy doses, even yourself. Your just trying to bait people with this post. Considering you have no further knowledge of the game past maybe lvl 10.

Thank you for reading,

-Faded

This is a very biased opinion you have. Research before spouting nonsense about a game you know nothing about.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

Everyone SHOULD care.

And if that trend continues to be commonplace TVs would never improve, and would stagnate the market into an ever revolving door of "The Same Thing" until it dries up & crumbles.

What you're talking about is a singular instance of need. I'm talking about a TREND of the market as a whole.

• acerpg007acerpg007 Member Posts: 164

The good part of being a gamer? You play, you get bored, you move on. :D

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu, Art of War

Originally posted by Vunak23

Most people that are coveting Tera as a good game have been playing it in Korea.

Except the Server v Server, political system,  GvG and deathmatch systems, BAMs. Bosses that are actually challenging.

Questing is one style of gameplay you can do. You are not forced to quest in Tera, you can jump in a group and go grind BAM's. For people like me this appeals more then doing meaningless quests.

Can't tell you the longevity of the product, but with its political system, gvg, deathmatches, and interesting boss mechanics. I think if people look passed the style and can accept the combat system, it would last longer then other products on the market now.

Most people that end up leaving Tera, are the people that can't cut a difficult experience. There are those that just don't like the style of the game but that is everywhere.

You said this twice.

>For a reason

I agree Tera will be a good game hopper for people really waiting out for something else. Its obviously not going to be the game for everyone.

No game is without its criticism. Planetside 2 is gonna be F2P and is under a terrible publisher.

>I agree SOE is a horrible publisher, however I've seen the developers they put on Planetside2 are literally trying to break SOE's bad rep, and do Planetside 2 justice. Talk about Biased :P?

Unfortunately people do not know how to give criticism in healthy doses, even yourself. Your just trying to bait people with this post. Considering you have no further knowledge of the game past maybe lvl 10.

Thank you for reading,

-Faded

This is a very biased opinion you have. Research before spouting nonsense about a game you know nothing about.

You're not much better at NOT giving biased nonsense without doing research. I've researched a LOT about TERA, and nothing it has shown either in KOREA or the US CB's has shown any difference.

Also, you ARE forced to do questing for progression. Having the "freedom" of going off to kill random mobs for a TINY percentage of the XP you can get for doing quests is NOT "alternative methods of leveling". If you give people whom quest 20x more exp than people whom run around exploring & killing that IS forcing people to do quests. They literally punish you into questing for XP.

I tried both paths in CB1 for USA, when I dinged 7 just randomly killing monsters at a hardcore pace my friend dinged 15, and she was being lazy about her questing taking breaks to go make dinner, do laundry, etc.

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

I see MMOs about progression and an actual investment of time. I like to think that the few hours i spent in one actually progressed my character or place in the world, be it socially or statistically. If i think that i may only play a MMO for 1-2 months, i will not bother.

Tera looks great, GW2 looks great, neither have the long term tools to make them playabale for me past 3 months, therefore i won't bother, single player games piss on MMOs for quality every time, so why bother. I know in both of nthe aforementioned, it will be me, grinding with a few other faceless drones, then grouping with other drones later on for raids. Depth is what i want at end of day.

Originally posted by acerpg007

The good part of being a gamer? You play, you get bored, you move on. :D

Unfortunately with that attitude "PayToWin" products would become the new juggernauts of the industry, and would only fill the market with horrible low-quality products that are no different than the last.

Again, the "older" generation of games didn't cause this to be so widespread as the newer clones have done. Albeit I won't profess to know HOW critical getting bored has become for gamers as a whole. I will say that it didn't used to be, and shouldn't be the norm for the genre as a whole.

Everyone SHOULD care.

And if that trend continues to be commonplace TVs would never improve, and would stagnate the market into an ever revolving door of "The Same Thing" until it dries up & crumbles.

What you're talking about is a singular instance of need. I'm talking about a TREND of the market as a whole.

tv's have basically been the same since they were invented. they added color, and now they come in flat screen. but the original design is still there.

im really not sure what youre going on about. if you dont like tera dont play it.  i think the majority of people who want to play tera have tried it or studied up on it.  they know what they are getting into, and i dont think they feel like they are being "scammed" as you put it.  they are having fun with it and want to play it.  to suggest enmasse is brainwashing them somehow into buying the product is ludicris.

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712

Originally posted by Vunak23

You said this twice.

>For a reason

>I agree SOE is a horrible publisher, however I've seen the developers they put on Planetside2 are literally trying to break SOE's bad rep, and do Planetside 2 justice. Talk about Biased :P?

Thank you for reading,

-Faded

You're not much better at NOT giving biased nonsense without doing research. I've researched a LOT about TERA, and nothing it has shown either in KOREA or the US CB's has shown any difference.

Also, you ARE forced to do questing for progression. Having the "freedom" of going off to kill random mobs for a TINY percentage of the XP you can get for doing quests is NOT "alternative methods of leveling". If you give people whom quest 20x more exp than people whom run around exploring & killing that IS forcing people to do quests. They literally punish you into questing for XP.

I tried both paths in CB1 for USA, when I dinged 7 just randomly killing monsters at a hardcore pace my friend dinged 15, and she was being lazy about her questing taking breaks to go make dinner, do laundry, etc.

So once again we're basing stuff on the starter Island, aka everything you say has just about zero value to me...... no you are not forced to do the questing, you can easily go kill BAM's in a group, do battlegrounds (they will be in at launch, deactivated now) or even level via dungeons.

You needa stop this, you claim you have done research, but its clearly showing that you havent.

Originally posted by Vegetto

I see MMOs about progression and an actual investment of time. I like to think that the few hours i spent in one actually progressed my character or place in the world, be it socially or statistically. If i think that i may only play a MMO for 1-2 months, i will not bother.

Tera looks great, GW2 looks great, neither have the long term tools to make them playabale for me past 3 months, therefore i won't bother, single player games piss on MMOs for quality every time, so why bother. I know in both of nthe aforementioned, it will be me, grinding with a few other faceless drones, then grouping with other drones later on for raids. Depth is what i want at end of day.

THIS ^

I can tell Vegetto has been around as long as I have with MMOs :). The "older" generation of gamers have pretty much this attitude unless they're hard-core casual players that only hop on a game once or twice a week because their life demands so much of their time (kids, work, family activities, work activities, vacations, 2nd jobs, etc).

Heck, I even know some generally casual players whom have the same mindset, and don't bother with a game if they don't see longevitiy to them.