Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: The Closed Beta Preview

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Originally posted by Leucent

Thank god. Question, are traits level based? AA type thing, need to read up more I see, but hey if you can answer it then great.

Traits are like "talents" in  another game.  You start earning them at level 11 (IIRC) and get one for each level you earn there on out.  They do things like increase your strength stat, increase your critical hit damage.  It all depends on which trait path you pick and which class you're playing.  For example, the Engineer has paths for explosives, tools, guns, alchemy and so on.  While a warrior might have one for armor, for martial weapons, and so forth.  

Every five points you spend in a path you get a bonus skill/stat from that path.  So for example: spend five points in explosives on the Engineer and you get the ability to lay a bomb down each time you dodge.  Spend five more and you can pick from a host of perks like increased damage with pistols and so on.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

At last, a game that looks like it will change the landscape for the better.

If I was working for certain other devs right now I would be feeling a little embarressed.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Originally posted by Homitu

Man, I woke up this morning like a kid on Christmas just because I knew I would see more info about this game!  

Being on GMT+8 I've been waiting for updates for a whole day. And now that I have to go to bed the updates are flooding the site! ><

Originally posted by Methos12

Excellent, thanks for answering. One more thing that interests me are those character vocalizations we heard in the videos so far. How frequent were they and could you adjust their rate of occurrence under options or somewhere? Were they distracting in practice?

They didn't really bother me, if you mean how characters and NPCs shout/talk during combat?  They added to it for me.  But I suspsect you can turn them down/off.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Thank god. Question, are traits level based? AA type thing, need to read up more I see, but hey if you can answer it then great.

Traits are like "talents" in  another game.  You start earning them at level 11 (IIRC) and get one for each level you earn there on out.  They do things like increase your strength stat, increase your critical hit damage.  It all depends on which trait path you pick and which class you're playing.  For example, the Engineer has paths for explosives, tools, guns, alchemy and so on.  While a warrior might have one for armor, for martial weapons, and so forth.  

Every five points you spend in a path you get a bonus skill/stat from that path.  So for example: spend five points in explosives on the Engineer and you get the ability to lay a bomb down each time you dodge.  Spend five more and you can pick from a host of perks like increased damage with pistols and so on.

Very cool thank you.

Originally posted by sharpshade

Dynamic events obviously encourages large groups, I wonder how that works in terms of kill stealing, loot and exp. One thing I've always dreaded about open world mmo's is when some random jerk comes by and finishes off your enemy or runs off with your loot and exp.

I also wonder how solo'able the game will be. I like a good combination of grouping and then having the ability to do my own thing without having to LFG. I'm super excited about GW2 and can't wait!!

DE's seem to scale, to be honest.  The more people around, the more difficult they become.  There's no kill stealing really.  There's not really "questing" as it were, and since you're in the area with other people, all participating in an event, you wind up sharing loot and XP from the event.  Make sense?

In all, I found it soloable when I was solo, and very adhoc-group when people were around.  It seems to be the type of game that changes depending on the activity in the area.

EDIT: Also, take a look at the Norn Engineer Gameplay I just embedded to the bottom of page 1.  Flamethrower FTW.

My Review Manifesto

• sharpshadesharpshade Member UncommonPosts: 58

Wow that's awesome! Thank you so much Mr. Murphy for being so quick to answer questions. I know most of us are drooling at the chance to play, heck I'd just settle for a release date at this point. I'll keep checking back for more updates! When is the next closed beta event for you all?

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

I already know enough that I want to buy it on release.  But I'm trying to avoid reviews and such as I want to experience it first hand.  I have reserved hopes for the game, but the mere fact that it's B2P means I could spend months on leveling characters if the experience is anywhere near as fun as SWTOR was.

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I already know enough that I want to buy it on release.  But I'm trying to avoid reviews and such as I want to experience it first hand.  I have reserved hopes for the game, but the mere fact that it's B2P means I could spend months on leveling characters if the experience is anywhere near as fun as SWTOR was.

I m right there with you. As much as it pains me to say this, I don t even want to play beta/OB. I want to experience everything from day one. Seeing some vids, and reading some info, no biggie, but I m hoping this game will deliver, so i ll wait.

Wow that's awesome! Thank you so much Mr. Murphy for being so quick to answer questions. I know most of us are drooling at the chance to play, heck I'd just settle for a release date at this point. I'll keep checking back for more updates! When is the next closed beta event for you all?

We don't know yet... hopefully soon.  I feel like clicking the demo repeatedly and trying to log in.  But chances are it'll be a few weeks.  Hopefully YOU GUYS get to play soon!

My Review Manifesto

• cptklosscptkloss Member Posts: 4

Hehe... so the end-game is "play just for the fun of it"? this concept has always failed ALWAYS. If there is no long term character development in any form, there's no incentive to play.

• RaxolRaxol Member UncommonPosts: 4

This game looks so crappy, doesn't deserve any attention.

Originally posted by cptkloss

Hehe... so the end-game is "play just for the fun of it"? this concept has always failed ALWAYS. If there is no long term character development in any form, there's no incentive to play.

Not even talking about everything outside WvW, you might want to see DAOC for that. It at it s time was a very successful MMO, based on end game RvR alone. I know I played it just for the fun of it.

Not even talking about everything outside WvW, you might want to see DAOC for that. It at it s time was a very successful MMO, based on end game RvR alone. I know I played it just for the fun of it.

Yep, the end game will actually be about the WvW and PVP.  Mark my words.  There are dungeons, and loot to be had from each.  But all most people will care about is server pride, a la DAOC.

My Review Manifesto

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Originally posted by ProfRed

Looks like you enjoyed it a bit haha!  You know I really love the painted style of their site, char creation, etc.  So stylized it alone attracts me into the game. 

The one and most important thing I took from your write up is the exploring and wandering around the world.  I remember in Guild Wars 1 I found myself doing this for hours early on.  I really am excited about this aspect.  

The exploration is what really caught me off guard.  It's amazing.  Been a long time since an MMO really 1.) made me want to explore 2.) let me and 3.) rewarded me for it.  Explorers will get the most out of this game, as it doesn't hold your hand much other than to occasionally shoot you in the direction of a new event.

Exploration you say???? I may have to check it out then. It may be worth it to play here and there until ArcheAge hits the US of A. 

• darkchewydarkchewy Member Posts: 8

this game is full of hype i know but lets pretend like fanboys and hope for epicness

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

Originally posted by Raxol

This game looks so crappy, doesn't deserve any attention.

You mad?

Yes, your favourite game is not as good, go cry.

• MyPreciousssMyPreciousss Member Posts: 427

Hello Bill, it was a very good article, thank you. I think you meant "your" in " if you’re character out-levels".

About the skills developping with the use of a weapon, they of course aren't linked with this particular weapon and aren't lost if you throw it away, but once unlocked they stay unlocked?

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Thanks for the write up! Looking forward to more coverage of this event and beyond and dying for info on the first Public Beta to be announced! :)

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Yep, the end game will actually be about the WvW and PVP.  Mark my words.  There are dungeons, and loot to be had from each.  But all most people will care about is server pride, a la DAOC.

That is the best news for an MMO I ve heard in years and years.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by ProfRed

Looks like you enjoyed it a bit haha!  You know I really love the painted style of their site, char creation, etc.  So stylized it alone attracts me into the game. 

The one and most important thing I took from your write up is the exploring and wandering around the world.  I remember in Guild Wars 1 I found myself doing this for hours early on.  I really am excited about this aspect.  

The exploration is what really caught me off guard.  It's amazing.  Been a long time since an MMO really 1.) made me want to explore 2.) let me and 3.) rewarded me for it.  Explorers will get the most out of this game, as it doesn't hold your hand much other than to occasionally shoot you in the direction of a new event.

Explorers rejoice!  Someone has finally made a game with us in mind.  I can't wait to step off the beaten path and for once, find something!

• sharpshadesharpshade Member UncommonPosts: 58

Hmm I'm a bit worried now. I quit playing AION because at one point it was either grind or do PvP to level and I don't enjoy PvP at all. If end games is either WvW or PvP that makes me sad. I was hoping there would be enough PvE content to take you from start to end game.  =(

• SemibruceleeSemibrucelee Member Posts: 52

Oh god give me my beta key already.

I LOVE the music in that norn engineer video. That's the best immersion tool you want to invest in when doing an mmo; it adds so much depth and atmosphere to the game, and this is a perfect exemple. Finally a mmo I will keep the music on.

Originally posted by MyPreciousss

Hello Bill, it was a very good article, thank you. I think you meant "your" in " if you’re character out-levels".

About the skills developping with the use of a weapon, they of course aren't linked with this particular weapon and aren't lost if you throw it away, but once unlocked they stay unlocked?

Yep, like that.  They're tied to a weapon type.  Each one, and for each class, has different skills.  A rifle's skills will be different for the engineer and different on a warrior.  But once you unlock the rifle's skills, they stay unlocked for all rifles on that class.  Make sense?

My Review Manifesto

Hmm I'm a bit worried now. I quit playing AION because at one point it was either grind or do PvP to level and I don't enjoy PvP at all. If end games is either WvW or PvP that makes me sad. I was hoping there would be enough PvE content to take you from start to end game.  =(

There is.  The PVE content is enough to take you from start to end-game and beyond, especially with the effective level mechanic (leveling you down so you don't overpower everything).  So you could level 1-80 as a Norn and then take your Norn to the starting zones of other races to do their content.  On top of that, there are going to be many dungeons, and the same mechanic applies there.  You can get gear from them, even if just for the looks.  So worry not, PVE is A HUGE focus.  I just believe that most of the end-game will be about th WvW, as people will flock to it when they see how massive and fun it is.

HINT: WvW has PVE too.  You don't have to be a great PVP-er to enjoy it.

My Review Manifesto