Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you ever see an NDA stay up to release or past it...

Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416

Stay away...the MMO is going to end up fail.

A certain MMO that I won't mention, because this isn't a topic that is supposed to be about that...has shown more in ALPHA than most MMOs show throughout beta. Most MMOs show very little.

Then some MMOs (like Age of Conan if I remember correctly) had an NDA PAST RELEASE...should have been a sign right there to save my money. And it ended up being correct.

If an MMO has an NDA up to release or past it..and they also show limited quanities of their MMO and limit people playing them and force them to play them a certain way, if they allow that at all...it is probably because they have something to hide and their MMO isn't that great. Every MMO that has done this (I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I know there have been others besides AoC)...has ended up a huge fail.

However, if an MMO company isn't afraid to let the people play their game how they want and show off tons of their game (especially if it isn't even in beta yet)...it is probably because the developers know they have a good game on their hands. They love their MMO and they want to show as much of it off as possible.

So yeah...three signs of a bad MMO

NDA up to release or past it (this is the main one, as MMOs that have done this ended up failing)

Show off very little of their game, especially if it is in beta stages.

If they allow players to play it at conventions or whatever, they dictate how people play said MMO and control what they do...instead of allowing them to freely play it. Or worse yet, they don't let anyone play it at all.

Comments

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

yep...both FFXIV and APB had hard NDA and review embargos until after they came out. Square-Enix even formally asked all media outlets that had not signed an NDA to restrain from reviewing it for at least a week.

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by Isasis

A certain MMO that I won't mention, because this isn't a topic that is supposed to be about that...has shown more in ALPHA than most MMOs show throughout beta. Most MMOs show very little.

Then some MMOs (like Age of Conan if I remember correctly) had an NDA PAST RELEASE...should have been a sign right there to save my money. And it ended up being correct.

If an MMO has an NDA up to release or past it..and they also show limited quanities of their MMO and limit people playing them and force them to play them a certain way, if they allow that at all...it is probably because they have something to hide and their MMO isn't that great. Every MMO that has done this (I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I know there have been others besides AoC)...has ended up a huge fail.

However, if an MMO company isn't afraid to let the people play their game how they want and show off tons of their game (especially if it isn't even in beta yet)...it is probably because the developers know they have a good game on their hands. They love their MMO and they want to show as much of it off as possible.

NDA up to release or past it (this is the main one, as MMOs that have done this ended up failing)

If they allow players to play it at conventions or whatever, they dictate how people play said MMO and control what they do...instead of allowing them to freely play it. Or worse yet, they don't let anyone play it at all.

How do you have a NDA "PAST" release ?

Oh and I complete disagree.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Sincere question:

TSW and GW2 are both games I look foward to, my sub and fun setup.

But at this point, TSW is suppose to be released before GW2, yet I have seen little to nothing of TSW actual gameplay footage and yet have been overloaded with GW2 gameplay for years now. Should that worry me, based on that formula? Or is my search abilty been TSW disabled?

[mod edit] WoW did not have a strict NDA up to release(or even close to it) and they had a crapload of info out on the game at least 4 months in advance of launch. the beta was not restricted to what blizzard wanted people to do, but to what was in the game playable.

just putting that out there because many people would say this when the whole NDA thing is brought up.

Originally posted by zakiyawow

both FFXIV and APB disallowed any detailed disclosure of the games until a week after they launched, and both had an embargo on reviews of a similar time frame.

• Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416

From what I recall, beta users couldn't talk about beta even if AoC was released. I'm pretty sure it was AoC that did that. The only thing Funcom showed was Tortage, at least for open beta... and then the rest of the game bombed for most people.

(edit)

And yeah what Fony said. I remember FF had an NDA past release as well.

Originally posted by fony

both FFXIV and APB disallowed any detailed disclosure of the games until a week after they launched, and both had an embargo on reviews of a similar time frame.

I guess I can get the part not allowing review. I still cant understand the non-disclosure part since everyone can get that info because game is released. That just makes no sense.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

I'd say up to release is just fine to NDA. What if a beta tester finds something horrid that slipped through(bugs) and plasters it across the net, giving the game a bad name, when all it is is an oversight that can be fixed quickly?

If the game is in beta, that means they are still working on it.....so....why show off something that isn't done? Imagine i'm making a shoe or something, and show it to you half done, then later when it's compelte. does it look even remotely the same? nope.

Again, you seem to feel entitled to seeing all of ones work before it is done, and before you even pay for it...anyways.

If the front of my shoe is done, and i show you that, but not the back of the shoe, as i'm being NICE and letting you peek at something that isn't even finished, then that is my choice...hell ya aint even paid for my shoe yet, and i'm letting you try it on so i c an get more ideas to work into it.

Bottom line, if the game aint done, i wouldn't show it. if i would show it, i'd show what was MOSTLY done and see how that goes. I agree ANET have been very open with showing what they are working on, but THAT IS WHERE ANET'S HYPE COMES FROM! They don' have big flashy commercials like SWTOR, nor a big IP like it. So how do they get someone interested in their game? They go to gaming conventions and show abit of it off, and let us do the work for free.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Originally posted by Bunks

Sincere question:

But at this point, TSW is suppose to be released before GW2, yet I have seen little to nothing of TSW actual gameplay footage and yet have been overloaded with GW2 gameplay for years now. Should that worry me, based on that formula? Or is my search abilty been TSW disabled?

GW2's next big info dump is monday, TSW's only big info dump is on tuesday. wait a few days and compare how much of each game is shown.

Originally posted by Toxia

I'd say up to release is just fine to NDA. What if a beta tester finds something horrid that slipped through(bugs) and plasters it across the net, giving the game a bad name, when all it is is an oversight that can be fixed quickly?

If the game is in beta, that means they are still working on it.....so....why show off something that isn't done? Imagine i'm making a shoe or something, and show it to you half done, then later when it's compelte. does it look even remotely the same? nope.

Again, you seem to feel entitled to seeing all of ones work before it is done, and before you even pay for it...anyways.

If the front of my shoe is done, and i show you that, but not the back of the shoe, as i'm being NICE and letting you peek at something that isn't even finished, then that is my choice...hell ya aint even paid for my shoe yet, and i'm letting you try it on so i c an get more ideas to work into it.

Bottom line, if the game aint done, i wouldn't show it. if i would show it, i'd show what was MOSTLY done and see how that goes. I agree ANET have been very open with showing what they are working on, but THAT IS WHERE ANET'S HYPE COMES FROM! They don' have big flashy commercials like SWTOR, nor a big IP like it. So how do they get someone interested in their game? They go to gaming conventions and show abit of it off, and let us do the work for free.

and since their budget and staff is actually on par with their competition this time...will this excuse hold water when guild wars 2 commercials air? 

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    AOC lifted its press NDA on 01 May 2008. The head start didn't begin until 17 May 2008. Do you people just sit around and make stuff up?
  • quasi_deadquasi_dead Member Posts: 84

Sincere question:

It should tell you that TSW is probably going to be halfbaked.

Probably.

Also Final Fantasy did a partial lift of the NDA during phase 3 of beta allowing testers to share screenshots and opinions of the game....

Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

Also Final Fantasy did a partial lift of the NDA during phase 3 of beta allowing testers to share screenshots and opinions of the game....

controlled NDA lift for selct meager info...i was IN that beta so get it straight. the NDA was up AFTER release. history is written...what the hell are you trying to accomplish here? the review embargo and nda went hand in hand, and were up after the game came out, same for APB.

EDIT: oh wait, FFXIV had a THREE WEEK embargo after release, my bad.

I was in beta too.... And just showing that you have no idea what you are talking about. They did allow you to share opinions, just not particulars.

I was in beta too.... And just showing that you have no idea what you are talking about. They did allow you to share opinions, just not particulars.

yep. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ...and as far as the three weeks thing, Square Enix was only politely asking for reviewers to wait three weeks. This was to allow the game to mature. There wasn't a solid NDA in place like you make it sound. You should really check your facts.....
  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Originally posted by fony

Originally posted by Toxia

and since their budget and staff is actually on par with their competition this time...will this excuse hold water when guild wars 2 commercials air? 

And when they don't and that money that would have been spent there goes to the actual game, and not some CGI mock up of it, we will all be happier for it

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by cinos

Sincere question:

I'd say you should definitely be cautious.

Ask yourself this; Are you hyped for TSW because of what you have seen or what you have been told you will see?

Seen many MMO players fall into the same trap and they all came out disappointed and bitter as a result. :/

I am getting nervous. To be honest, if these two games turn out ot be nothing but hype, I think my days as a gamer will be limited to flight simulators again. Had the whole week at my desk this week due to taxes and bookeeping for my 3 business and researched like mad, found very little on TSW.

Originally posted by cinos

Sincere question:

I'd say you should definitely be cautious.

Ask yourself this; Are you hyped for TSW because of what you have seen or what you have been told you will see?

Seen many MMO players fall into the same trap and they all came out disappointed and bitter as a result. :/

I am getting nervous. To be honest, if these two games turn out ot be nothing but hype, I think my days as a gamer will be limited to flight simulators again. Had the whole week at my desk this week due to taxes and bookeeping for my 3 business and researched like mad, found very little on TSW.

If you are expecting TSW or GW2 to be something amazingly revolutionary, I would advice you to start look for other games. There is only so much new things people can do in MMO.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

AOC lifted its press NDA on 01 May 2008. The head start didn't begin until 17 May 2008. Do you people just sit around and make stuff up?

I remember it. The NDA was lifted May 1 for U.S. reporters, for the Open beta pvp weekend. For everyone else the notification that the NDA was lifted came after launch.

...and as far as the three weeks thing, Square Enix was only politely asking for reviewers to wait three weeks. This was to allow the game to mature. There wasn't a solid NDA in place like you make it sound. You should really check your facts.....

i said the review embargo was three weeks, and i said they asked the media to wait the three weeks. i said the NDA was one week, which it was. those are the facts, i treated the NDA and embargo separate....you're basically just seeing red now like a mad bull. 

P.S. AoC NDA was indeed in tact after the game came out.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Trying to make universal fact statements generally doesn't work very well.

Game to game even with the same development company....  Some games lift the NDA and some do not.   There has never been any relative fact one way or the other about how good the game is... based on the NDA.

I saw someone in the thread post asking how do you have an NDA after release...   Some games (some of which did very well) have never lifted the NDA on the beta experience.   Which means there was an NDA after *live* ... as far as beta goes.

There is no single thing (NDA lift .. no lift .. or other) that can be tied to how well a game will do... or how good/bad it is for an individual to play.

The only thing I personally seem to notice is... if you are in a beta with a very communicative "community" employee.   Then they suddenly go silent... well my personal experience is.. that is bad.   I won't try to claim its a fact... but neither is the opinion in the first post of the thread...

Oh and part of the problem with the theory is the assumption that NDA's actually do anything to keep the *secret* of a bad game. (or this is at least implied)

You don't need to come to a site like this and be able to see the non restricted musings of some stranger.   If you have many friends that you game with and they are in a beta.... you may not know in depth details.. but you likely know if they think its crap or really good... or.. in between.

Originally posted by Antarious

Trying to make universal fact statements generally doesn't work very well.

Game to game even with the same development company....  Some games lift the NDA and some do not.   There has never been any relative fact one way or the other about how good the game is... based on the NDA.

I saw someone in the thread post asking how do you have an NDA after release...   Some games (some of which did very well) have never lifted the NDA on the beta experience.   Which means there was an NDA after *live* ... as far as beta goes.

There is no single thing (NDA lift .. no lift .. or other) that can be tied to how well a game will do... or how good/bad it is for an individual to play.

The only thing I personally seem to notice is... if you are in a beta with a very communicative "community" employee.   Then they suddenly go silent... well my personal experience is.. that is bad.   I won't try to claim its a fact... but neither is the opinion in the first post of the thread...

Oh and part of the problem with the theory is the assumption that NDA's actually do anything to keep the *secret* of a bad game. (or this is at least implied)

You don't need to come to a site like this and be able to see the non restricted musings of some stranger.   If you have many friends that you game with and they are in a beta.... you may not know in depth details.. but you likely know if they think its crap or really good... or.. in between.

I asked about the NDA after release and your answer makes a lot of sense. I also agree on your other comments about one can't generalize the outcome of a game. Especially a lot of people just take ideas and make it their own.

See "panda monk" of certain F2P game before WoW panda monk.