Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tweet I recieved from MMORPG.com

Comments

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

[mod edit]

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Originally posted by Creslin321

Okay...after reading this thread and many others, I have to write a bit of a PSA.

STOP GENERALIZING "HYPE"

Nearly every single thread I read where people get excited of ANY unreleased game, there are always a few posters who have to chime in with "don't believe the hype" or "you're just overhyped."  But the funny thing is, the content of the thread and what is actually being hyped is irrelevant to these guys.  They only care that someone is excited, and conclude that they must be "overhyped."

But don't you think there is a difference between someone that watches a cinematic trailer and starts gushing and immediately gushes about how awesome a game will be, and someone who watches a detailed video demonstrating an ingame concept and then gets excited about it?  I'll give you a hint, one of those is being "overhyped" and one is not.

Not all hype is bad.  It only gets bad when either:

A.  A game producer is somehow disingenuous and leads its consumers to believe that the game is something it isn't.  This is typically hard to tell until release, but you should always be suspicious until you see "proof."

B.  A consumer expresses irrational expectations about a game that were never promised by a game developer.

If either of those are true, then the person in question is "overhyped" and you can call them out to your heart's content.  But if those two aren't true, then the person is just "hyped" or "excited."

And to be honest, I don't see A or B happening with most GW2 fans (there are exceptions though, I'm sure).  Think about it, most GW2 fans are excited about things that they actually saw demonstrated IN GAME, not just a cleverly created trailer, not just words on a page...actually IN GAME...and some players even got to play said game.  GW2 fans also have several testimonials from folks that played the game and confirm the "hype."

So really, I think it's "okay" to get hyped for GW2 at this point.

If you have a legitimate concern about GW2, I'm sure we would all like to hear it.  But if you're just going to say people are overhyped just "because" then don't bother.

+1 for reason-based posting.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Vesavius

Originally posted by Distopia

The question is which hype? The realistic or the.. well ...not so realistic (for lack of a better word)?

What unrealistic hype have you seen Dis?

Everything I am excited about so far has been seen, except for the Mists ofc which we will see from Monday.

Heh, simply is it the hype that this is going to be a great game, or the hype that this is going to be the best game ever?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Okay...after reading this thread and many others, I have to write a bit of a PSA.

STOP GENERALIZING "HYPE"

Nearly every single thread I read where people get excited of ANY unreleased game, there are always a few posters who have to chime in with "don't believe the hype" or "you're just overhyped."  But the funny thing is, the content of the thread and what is actually being hyped is irrelevant to these guys.  They only care that someone is excited, and conclude that they must be "overhyped."

But don't you think there is a difference between someone that watches a cinematic trailer and starts gushing and immediately gushes about how awesome a game will be, and someone who watches a detailed video demonstrating an ingame concept and then gets excited about it?  I'll give you a hint, one of those is being "overhyped" and one is not.

A.  A game producer is somehow disingenuous and leads its consumers to believe that the game is something it isn't.  This is typically hard to tell until release, but you should always be suspicious until you see "proof."

B.  A consumer expresses irrational expectations about a game that were never promised by a game developer.

If either of those are true, then the person in question is "overhyped" and you can call them out to your heart's content.  But if those two aren't true, then the person is just "hyped" or "excited."

And to be honest, I don't see A or B happening with most GW2 fans (there are exceptions though, I'm sure).  Think about it, most GW2 fans are excited about things that they actually saw demonstrated IN GAME, not just a cleverly created trailer, not just words on a page...actually IN GAME...and some players even got to play said game.  GW2 fans also have several testimonials from folks that played the game and confirm the "hype."

If you have a legitimate concern about GW2, I'm sure we would all like to hear it.  But if you're just going to say people are overhyped just "because" then don't bother.

Exatly this!  With that being said, if you enjoy traditional WoW clones and nothing more then this game isnt for you.  If you only like gear progression or Carrots on a stick, then this game isnt for you.  If you think Battleground instanced PvP is the best, then this game isnt for you.  If you think raiding is the only "right" way to play endgame, then this game isnt for you.  If you think 2 factions is the only way to go, then this game isnt for you.  If you feel that generic tab targetting combat is ideal, then this game isnt for you.  If you think sitting in a Capital City waiting on the next dungeon or BG queue to pop is fun, then this game isnt for you.  If you enjoy fighting your own faction for resources such as mineral nodes, rare spawns, and generally dont want to see another human soul while leveling, then this game isnt for you.  If being able to fly or sit in cities on your uber leet .01% drop mount is fun, then this game isnt for you.

BUT and its a big BUT, if you dislike any of those things in my above paragraph and are looking for someone, anyone to move the genre along then by all means GW2 might just be worth the hype.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

doesnt gw2 have tab-target and instanced pvp?

im not trolling im just looking for info, i figured it did, but now it sounds like it may not.

I've got the straight edge.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by brody71

doesnt gw2 have tab-target and instanced pvp?

im not trolling im just looking for info, i figured it did, but now it sounds like it may not.

Pretty much yes, but with a twist.  It does have tab target from what I understand, but you are also able to just fire an ability without anyone targeted and it will just go straight out and hit whoever is in the way.  So I guess it's a "hybrid" tab-target/aim-based system.

As for instanced PvP, has that too, that's the competitive PvP.  But it also has non-instanced "DAoC-esque" PvP.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

The question is which hype? The realistic or the.. well ...not so realistic (for lack of a better word)?

What unrealistic hype have you seen Dis?

Everything I am excited about so far has been seen, except for the Mists ofc which we will see from Monday.

Heh, simply is it the hype that this is going to be a great game, or the hype that this is going to be the best game ever?

Maybe it will be a great game though? God knows this genre needs it's 'Skyrim' to happen before it falls over dead.

I know it's safer to be cautious and cynical, especially as a MMORPG follower, but y'know... most people are actually pretty optimisic at heart. Sure that might lead to them being led astray at times, but sometime it is rewarded.

I just think this is a time where people are sensing that it might well be rewarded. Sometimes a game comes along blow minds in every genre. Maybe it's time we had one in our little corner of the gaming world.

I guess what I am saying is, based on what we have seen, GW2 looks to be walking it's talk and people are just excited about that.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by Zylaxx

STOP GENERALIZING "HYPE"

Exatly this!  With that being said, if you enjoy traditional WoW clones and nothing more then this game isnt for you.  If you only like gear progression or Carrots on a stick, then this game isnt for you.  If you think Battleground instanced PvP is the best, then this game isnt for you.  If you think raiding is the only "right" way to play endgame, then this game isnt for you.  If you think 2 factions is the only way to go, then this game isnt for you.  If you feel that generic tab targetting combat is ideal, then this game isnt for you.  If you think sitting in a Capital City waiting on the next dungeon or BG queue to pop is fun, then this game isnt for you.  If you enjoy fighting your own faction for resources such as mineral nodes, rare spawns, and generally dont want to see another human soul while leveling, then this game isnt for you.  If being able to fly or sit in cities on your uber leet .01% drop mount is fun, then this game isnt for you.

BUT and its a big BUT, if you dislike any of those things in my above paragraph and are looking for someone, anyone to move the genre along then by all means GW2 might just be worth the hype.

They have PvP exactly like this though. 

All hype is bad though. Nothing ever lives up to expectations. Even if you watch in depth videos, the way it plays when you are actually behind the keyboard is a lot different than watching a video. Will be a great game but some people will be expecting far to much.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Well.. Bill does also like DCUO and SWTOR :P

Good, so do I. ;-P

Well...swtor anyway. Spandex isnt my thing.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Jimmy562

STOP GENERALIZING "HYPE"

All hype is bad though. Nothing ever lives up to expectations. Even if you watch in depth videos, the way it plays when you are actually behind the keyboard is a lot different than watching a video. Will be a great game but some people will be expecting far to much.

I see that my post had no impact on you ;).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

For anyone that doesn't want to read this whole thread, I'll summarise.

OP: MMORPG staffer says game is good!

Positive responders: Cool, I new it would be!

Negative responders: No it's not!

Neutral responders: I'm skeptical!

There you have it.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

O

Maybe it will be a great game though? God knows this genre needs it's 'Skyrim' to happen before it falls over dead.

I know it's safer to be cautious and cynical, especially as a MMORPG follower, but y'know... most people are actually pretty optimisic at heart. Sure that might lead to them being led astray at times, but sometime it is rewarded.

I just think this is a time where people are sensing that it might well be rewarded. Sometimes a game comes along blow minds in every genre. Maybe it's time we had one in our little corner of the gaming world.

I guess what I am saying is, based on what we have seen, GW2 looks to be walking it's talk and people are just excited about that.

I hope so, besides this and Archeage I'm not seeing a whole lot of choices that interest me coming up. I was interested in Tera until i found out it too was a gear treadmill. All fine and good to play though, it just doesn't foster a good community IMO when that is the overall endgame goal, this is one of the main reasons I have been watching GW2. I just want a game with PVP people stick with and the community stays healthy in.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Originally posted by Dameonk

There you have it.

But if we just read this we wouldn't know who the reasonable and unreasonable are. If I just read post summeries my ignore list would be empty and I wouldn't have heard some really good interpretations and opinions of the game. I like and respect all opinions except for those that there is just no discussing it with them because they only pop in to state over and over again that they don't care for the game, yet they keep visiting and I am sure I'll be seeing them in the game even if they do hide under another name :). Monday is going to be awesome!!!!

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• VicDonneganVicDonnegan Member Posts: 106

There you have it.

Thank you, I got a good laugh out of this, lol.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Originally posted by FlawSGI

But if we just read this we wouldn't know who the reasonable and unreasonable are. If I just read post summeries my ignore list would be empty..

Ah, my plan to streamline the post reading process has backfired!

The ignore list, how could I be so blind!

I guess I'll go ahead and make an actual contribution to the thread then. :)

Someone mentioned that gameplay videos do not end up being like the actual game.  I thought this was an odd statement because, personally, I have never enjoyed watching gameplay videos of any other MMORPG game.

The thing is when I actually do play one of those games it's not nearly as bad as the video made it out to be.

Now, there has been one exception to this, and that is Guild Wars 2.  While I could barely sit through a 2 minute video of WoW or Tera, or even Guild Wars; I've watched every gameplay video I can find for GW2 with full attention and thoroughly enjoyed them.  That includes the 2 40+ minute uncut gameplay videos out there.

So for me, if GW2 even just meets the expectations that have been set based on the actual gameplay videos that have been released so far, I will be one happy gamer.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

STOP GENERALIZING "HYPE"

@Zylaxx

Way to follow up a well-reasoned post with an incredibly exaggerated one--concerning both your assertion that traditional "WoW clone" players will definitively not enjoy GW2 and your depiction of the extent to which GW2 will depart from traditional MMOs.  It will be innovative and fresh, to be sure--anyone who says otherwise is similarly exaggerating, though to the opposite end--but there is much middle ground.  

@JImmy

Plenty of games "live up to their hype" for many gamers.  Speaking only for myself, the games that I've gotten really excited for prior to release have generally gone on to become some of my favorite games of all time.  To give 2 of the most recent examples of games I've gotten insanely "hyped" about before they came out, I'd point to Skyrim and Mass Effect 2.  God did they ever live up to my personal hype.  

I find gaming news to be pretty informative for the most part, which allows me to fairly accurately gauge whether I will like a game or not before I even play it.  As for MMOs, I've actively followed and beta tested (and sometimes went on to play) several of them--Vanguard, WAR, AoC, Aion, Rift, ToR and now Tera--but I've yet to get seriously hyped for any of them...that is, until GW2.  We'll see how that goes :)

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by Homitu

STOP GENERALIZING "HYPE"

@Zylaxx

Way to follow up a well-reasoned post with an incredibly exaggerated one--concerning both your assertion that traditional "WoW clone" players will definitively not enjoy GW2 and your depiction of the extent to which GW2 will depart from traditional MMOs.  It will be innovative and fresh, to be sure--anyone who says otherwise is similarly exaggerating, though to the opposite end--but there is much middle ground.  

@JImmy

Plenty of games "live up to their hype" for many gamers.  Speaking only for myself, the games that I've gotten really excited for prior to release have generally gone on to become some of my favorite games of all time.  To give 2 of the most recent examples of games I've gotten insanely "hyped" about before they came out, I'd point to Skyrim and Mass Effect 2.  God did they ever live up to my personal hype.  

I find gaming news to be pretty informative for the most part, which allows me to fairly accurately gauge whether I will like a game or not before I even play it.  As for MMOs, I've actively followed and beta tested (and sometimes went on to play) several of them--Vanguard, WAR, AoC, Aion, Rift, ToR and now Tera--but I've yet to get seriously hyped for any of them...that is, until GW2.  We'll see how that goes :)

Those are good examples of games that lived up to the hype, I agree with both of them. For MMOs, way back when, WoW actually lived up to the hype for me and I played it longer than any other MMO. That game means nothing to me now, so it's easy to forget that one reason WoW succeeded when it launched was because it gave the genre a breath of fresh air and lived up to it's hype.

To say that no game can ever live up to the hype is just not a logical statement to make. It's possible that some people make a habit of building up expectations that can never be matched and thus always find themselves disappointed, but I think many of us do occassionally find things that meet or exceed even our enthusiastic expectations. :)

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

O

I hope so, besides this and Archeage I'm not seeing a whole lot of choices that interest me coming up. I was interested in Tera until i found out it too was a gear treadmill. All fine and good to play though, it just doesn't foster a good community IMO when that is the overall endgame goal, this is one of the main reasons I have been watching GW2. I just want a game with PVP people stick with and the community stays healthy in.

I was saying this to the GF the other day... and thats with me personally liking a lot about TERA. I wouldn't argue with your views on it though.

Yeah, I hope the community is strong in GW2 as well, and I think that with the Mists it will be :)

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by n3v3rriv3r

Originally posted by sgel

I really don't care about the hype dear sir ... but I do care about the game. So please review the game and forget the hype.

He was kind of giving you details about the game by referencing the hype

Det...whaa...ahem nvm.

.. but still ... DETAILS? lol l now understand why some game reviews can be deemed as "detailed"

yes I should have said "information" and not "details"

Thanks for reminding me in your unique "creative" way

Trust me I am so sick of "informations" based on hype. Maybe it is just me.

It's not hype when lots of people have actually played the game.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

The fact that they could EASILY charge a monthly fee and don't.. says a lot about Arenanet.

One month before release:

OMG buy now must have omg buy now

Release day:

OMg buy now omg omg buy now

Few days:

WoW this is kind of fast leveling and this stuff is not as dynamic as they said also x class is OP as shit

Two weeks in:

If you do not fix x or x I am unsubbing

^ GW fans response..unsub from what exactly?

ArenaNET response:

We got your money when you bought the box. Too bad so sad!+

7 million sold and maybe 100k playing. Tells you alot about the game developer.

• nimleyxnimleyx Member UncommonPosts: 6

I saw a tweet on GW insider where one of the devs said they were defending a keep in WvW for 10 HOURS! lol i would pass out

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by Puremallace

The fact that they could EASILY charge a monthly fee and don't.. says a lot about Arenanet.

One month before release:

OMG buy now must have omg buy now

Release day:

OMg buy now omg omg buy now

Few days:

WoW this is kind of fast leveling and this stuff is not as dynamic as they said also x class is OP as shit

Two weeks in:

If you do not fix x or x I am unsubbing

^ GW fans response..unsub from what exactly?

ArenaNET response:

We got your money when you bought the box. Too bad so sad!+

7 million sold and maybe 100k playing. Tells you alot about the game developer.

So leasing a car somehow makes the company produce a better car?

Or does making a good car sell more cars plus then when brand loyalty is made, the next years sales increase?

If Gw2 sellls 7 million, and they make a bad product, the first expansion will suffer, or if they make it good, they will reap big profits selling 7 million expansions.

Sub fees are a scam, almost like warranties on tangible products. B2P with continuing customer support, puts more pressure on the comapany not the consumer.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

There you have it.

You just described all the threads within mmorpg.com

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Bunks

Sub fees are a scam, almost like warranties on tangible products. B2P with continuing customer support, puts more pressure on the comapany not the consumer.

Buy to play is a scam. The company has zero accountability to the player base. You better damn well believe if GW had a sub fee when it was released you would have the ability to jump by the end of 6 months.

The company can do whatever they want and say screw the playerbase. Entire game is built on vanity items and cash shops with no actual end game content.

This is like Totalbiscuit magically becoming a fan of Guild Wars. That guy has not said jack shit about GW in the last 6 years, but he see's dollar signs. Apparently guild wars fans are damn easy to pander too.

• dudeduder45dudeduder45 Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by Bunks

Buy to play is a scam. The company has zero accountability to the player base. You better damn well believe if GW had a sub fee when it was released you would have the ability to jump by the end of 6 months.

The company can do whatever they want and say screw the playerbase. Entire game is built on vanity items and cash shops with no actual end game content.

This is like Totalbiscuit magically becoming a fan of Guild Wars. That guy has not said jack shit about GW in the last 6 years, but he see's dollar signs. Apparently guild wars fans are damn easy to pander too.

If they make a bad product, their products will not sell as well the next time around.  So when you say they have zero accountability to the player base, you are assuming that the player base stays the same size.  It will shrink if they make a bad product and their revenues will suffer for it.  Saying that B2P does not motivate the company to make a quality product is ignoring the effect that one bad product can have on a companies reputation.