Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Swtor...what a let down: the epitome of today's mmos

1235»

Comments

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by crysent
    I wanted to like Swtor, hell, I wanted to love it.

My friends I regularly game with and I had been hyped about it's release for a year, after all not only was it the ever popular star wars genre (I was a child of the 80's so Star Wars always has a special place in my heart) but it was Bioware -  a solid studio with a great reputation for making sold, fun, games.  They had gone all out budget wise - everything seemed in place!

Open beta was fun...everything seemed as it should and I was excited for release.

At relase all my friends were all in we were playing way more then we should (drawing the wife agro often).  Then around late January we started hitting 50 and that's when it all fell apart.

So you were questing with your friends and having a good time. Then you hit 50 and started grinding warzones and suddenly the game sucks. Why don't you just go back to doing the stuff you enjoyed? The game got bad when you changed your playstyle, so change it back to when you were having fun.

Just my 2c.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by dimmit77

Originally posted by Kyleran

I started late in SWTOR, played none of the beta, and am on my first character, a lvl 32 Commando.
    While the story line has been pretty fun, I'm not terribly motivated to level up to 50, mostly because the end game design really doesn't appeal to me.
    What parts of it do seem to be somewhat incomplete, so without a strong carrot on  a stick to encourage me I may never make it to the top. (blame my early MMO experiences being Lineage 1/2 and DAOC).

I would rather blame the fact that you are level 32 and you don't like the endgame if thats ok with you.

Well, except the reason I don't like the end game is because it isn't very much like the titles that I cut my teeth on.(and on continue to search for to this day)

If you keep hating end game before you even try it .....you gonna be looking for a mighty long time. 

LOL, not my first time to the rodeo, I have a pretty good idea of what I like. (And what I don't). Gear grinding raiding and BG's just aren't for me. I'm only pl aying SWTOR for the storylines.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cyricsoncyricson Member UncommonPosts: 129

poor poor poor POOR poor Star Wars ip....

i pity that no company can make it happen right...

invisible walls that kill you when you go near the enemy base? yea...right, original star wars!! right bioware/EA?

pathetic!!

i rolled imp , i lvled him to 40 , no rep around , really i didnt see anyone (pvp server)

i say to myself , ok they must be few, so here i am republic jedi guardian and guess what, never saw any imperial...it was as if i was on my own universe and not an mmorpg in a pvp server in a star wars theme that actually the entire theme revolves around the struggle between light and dark..

ábsolutely pathetic...

hahaha i remember the time when Darth Maul ganked Qui gonn and i imagined him playing this game and i loled

PATHETIC

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Not to advertise in another games forum... screw it i do it constantly. from everything ive been reading you should be looking into TSW. its heavily based on story instead of Gear grind, and the story will be well done because of the level of writers they have on it.

Anywho, i really dont want SWTOR to become the example for modern MMO's because its not. it was a attempt to be new that failed. simple as that.

Rereading that, i explained it wrong. its not heavily based on story, meaning its not a forced story like SWTOR was. it will be a constant story, i have a feeling it will be episodic so that there will be many stories that actually require thought to progress though them. these happen out of the gate (cant say hit level cap because there isnt one)

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

This games has turned out just as i expected, a solid single player/ Coop game. Story was a blast so no complaint there.

Thoughts of PvP i gave up the day Huttball was revealed.

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

I started late in SWTOR, played none of the beta, and am on my first character, a lvl 32 Commando.

While the story line has been pretty fun, I'm not terribly motivated to level up to 50, mostly because the end game design really doesn't appeal to me.

What parts of it do seem to be somewhat incomplete, so without a strong carrot on  a stick to encourage me I may never make it to the top. (blame my early MMO experiences being Lineage 1/2 and DAOC).

I would rather blame the fact that you are level 32 and you don't like the endgame if thats ok with you.

Well, except the reason I don't like the end game is because it isn't very much like the titles that I cut my teeth on.(and on continue to search for to this day)

If you keep hating end game before you even try it .....you gonna be looking for a mighty long time. 

LOL, not my first time to the rodeo, I have a pretty good idea of what I like. (And what I don't). Gear grinding raiding and BG's just aren't for me. I'm only pl aying SWTOR for the storylines.

Youd be better off playing single player games.

• dimmit77dimmit77 Member Posts: 294

Originally posted by LadyNoh

Not to advertise in another games forum... screw it i do it constantly. from everything ive been reading you should be looking into TSW. its heavily based on story instead of Gear grind, and the story will be well done because of the level of writers they have on it.

Anywho, i really dont want SWTOR to become the example for modern MMO's because its not. it was a attempt to be new that failed. simple as that.

Rereading that, i explained it wrong. its not heavily based on story, meaning its not a forced story like SWTOR was. it will be a constant story, i have a feeling it will be episodic so that there will be many stories that actually require thought to progress though them. these happen out of the gate (cant say hit level cap because there isnt one)

I second that . Move to the TSW forums now please . SWTOR is a failure , leave us "few" that still play it in peace. Go and wait for TSW .A  funcom launch is always fun to watch.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

SWTOR wasnt much better. how'd the queues feel, sorry had to bring it up.

But seriously SWTOR was a required game to be made. it is a game that should have the good things about it Disected to be brought into the the next gen of MMO's.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• Sp!k3Sp!k3 Member Posts: 60

Originally posted by LadyNoh

SWTOR wasnt much better. how'd the queues feel, sorry had to bring it up.

But seriously SWTOR was a required game to be made. it is a game that should have the good things about it Disected to be brought into the the next gen of MMO's.

Aye the "step backward" strategy.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by Mardukk

I think most people in this thread a overracting a bit.  Likely as most of these people thought this was going to be the MMO to end all MMO's (which is their own fault).  I don't see too many complaining about the game 1-50 the first time through...which is about a months worth of game time.  So $60 for a month worth of gaming, that would put this game on par with most console games right?  I don't think a month of enjoyable gaming for $60 is the end of the world.

I don't agree with many of the decisions Bio made with this game (Walled in world design, poor optimization and very little replayability due to exactly zero sandbox elements).  And they shouldn't be given a free pass.  But it's not bad to the level that some people are making it seem..well possibly if you are a PvP only person.  However PvP only people should have countless other games, most non MMO's, that do PvP 100% better.  Why are they even playing MMO's if they are true hardcore PvPers?

It appears a good portion of the problem was with people's expectations which resulted in these vehement responses.

This is where my PC bias is showing.  When I get a game, even a single player, I expect it to provide at least 100 hours of engaging gameplay.  The Mass Effect games did that.  DA:O did that.  The Elder Scrolls games do it a thousand times over.

Hell, even OOTP baseball and baseball mogul do that for me.  TOR provided me about 50 hours of gameplay before I decided the game wasn't worth renewing my sub.

Yet we are talking an MMO here.  An MMO shouldn't just provide one month of activity and get a pass.  An MMO should provide hundreds of hours of entertainment.  I played SWG for 3 years.  EQ2 for 9 months.  Even WoW, played that for 6 months.  POTBS for 3 years.  GW1 for a year.  EVE bored me out of my mind, but I still played it for 4 months.  I would consider myself an avid pvper.  I like playing pvp in MMO's because it is just another extension of social activity.  I'll go do a raid sometimes.  I'll go play econ.  And I'll pvp.  Two of those things are simply two different forms of competition in most games I play.

MMOs should provide  alot more than a month.  And if we are settling for a month, we've entered the soft bigotry of low expecations.  With a 200 mill budget, such expectations should be higher.

• MalevianMalevian Member Posts: 48

This is where my PC bias is showing.  When I get a game, even a single player, I expect it to provide at least 100 hours of engaging gameplay.  The Mass Effect games did that.  DA:O did that.  The Elder Scrolls games do it a thousand times over.

Hell, even OOTP baseball and baseball mogul do that for me.  TOR provided me about 50 hours of gameplay before I decided the game wasn't worth renewing my sub.

Yet we are talking an MMO here.  An MMO shouldn't just provide one month of activity and get a pass.  An MMO should provide hundreds of hours of entertainment.  I played SWG for 3 years.  EQ2 for 9 months.  Even WoW, played that for 6 months.  POTBS for 3 years.  GW1 for a year.  EVE bored me out of my mind, but I still played it for 4 months.  I would consider myself an avid pvper.  I like playing pvp in MMO's because it is just another extension of social activity.  I'll go do a raid sometimes.  I'll go play econ.  And I'll pvp.  Two of those things are simply two different forms of competition in most games I play.

MMOs should provide  alot more than a month.  And if we are settling for a month, we've entered the soft bigotry of low expecations.  With a 200 mill budget, such expectations should be higher.

You sir, are a god.  I could not have said it better myself.  The whole challenege of levelling is gone.  Exploration is no longer about learning the environment, but about silly unlocks.  I pray GW2 does not fall to the whim of sissy gamers that have to get everything in 2 weeks.  I want a game I enjoy the whole experience from beginning to end and want to savor it.

So if any of you out there plan to play GW2 on release, add me.  I am looking to have fun, not rush it.  Let's enjoy the journey.

Originally posted by Nazgol

Originally posted by Kuppa

You know, I see these type of post and it makes me wonder what is going on at Bioware.....This is a studio known for doing great games,in general. But if you look at their last two releases DA2 and SWTOR they are nothing but an attempt at pleasing the masses and generate money....they essentially follow the "status quo" of gaming. Nothing really new and its all VERY familiar and tried formulas, they essentially play it safe. But  in the end it feels very generic and uninspiring.....

You can't really blame them can you? They are a business after all.

Truly successful businesses don't try to "please the masses."  They make the masses realize "hey, you know, that's really cool" Apple does that in the tech world.  Blizzard did that.  They took an RTS franchise, and made people who didn't like RTS games realize they loved WC3, then took non MMO players and made them realize they love MMO's.

Bioware sorta did that when they first started coming out.  DA2 was a huge strike against them.  (Which is why when DA3 launches, it will revert back to the more classical DA combat, if the higher ups at BW are to be believed.) 

Whatever happened to being smart and innovative?

Originally posted by Malevian

You sir, are a god.  I could not have said it better myself.  The whole challenege of levelling is gone.  Exploration is no longer about learning the environment, but about silly unlocks.  I pray GW2 does not fall to the whim of sissy gamers that have to get everything in 2 weeks.  I want a game I enjoy the whole experience from beginning to end and want to savor it.

So if any of you out there plan to play GW2 on release, add me.  I am looking to have fun, not rush it.  Let's enjoy the journey.

Yeah I will most likely be doing GW2.  me I like my group play.  But with something like WvWvW, i'll just be looking to pewpew.  :) Though I'll obviously do "quests" as well, since it basically encourages grouping, interactive play. 

• LateBrake1LateBrake1 Member Posts: 54

I canceled my subscription to Swtor today along with a couple RL friends of mine as we all agree the game is crap and we're bored to tears. Here is hoping TWS or GW2 can deliver where Swtor failed.

• Oph8Oph8 Member Posts: 177

A lot of pointless QQ over here.

"Everything is mine and your woman too"

• KienKien Member Posts: 520

I didn't bother to read the previous 5 pages of replies... maybe someone else has already brought this up... but, you obviously enjoyed the game enough to play 50 levels. So what's with the complaining? Play to max level, then move on. That's what I did.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Originally posted by Kien

I didn't bother to read the previous 5 pages of replies... maybe someone else has already brought this up... but, you obviously enjoyed the game enough to play 50 levels. So what's with the complaining? Play to max level, then move on. That's what I did.

For me I had already paid for the box, might aswel get your monies worth of game play before deleting from the hard drive forever.  Did I enjoy it? to a certain extent but only because I was intrigued what the results were of certain events in the game.  I think people have a right to discuss why they were dissapointed with the game and why they gave up with it.

Do you tell people to stop discussing a game they like and go play it and move on? then you shouldnt expect people to not discuss what they didnt like.  Its what discussion boards are about, to discuss.  If you can't be bothered to read dont bother leaving snardy replies.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Originally posted by Skuz

Originally posted by Master10K

Guess ArenaNet will need to prepare for all the refugees that will flock to Guild Wars 2. image

It will have it's haters trying their damndest to bring it down just like every other game has had.

ArenaNet is smart enough not to charge a subscription.  That will reduce massive amounts of complaints.  If SWTOR was B2P I would have kept leveling alts until I got bored and moved on.  I'd have nothing to complain about as it would be better than most single player games.